PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm MacEntyre

MacEntyre
01-09-2010, 20:36
I thought Tedinski had a good idea... I have never introduced myself either.

I'm a native of Chapel Hill, NC. My first profession was on the water. After commercial fishing, crewing on old wooden vessels, and working as a stevedore, I ended up Mate on the Tug Whitefoot. That was just after they served as the priinciple film platform for Jaw I. We never did the same kind of work twice. Pedro got to hear some of my Tug Whitefoot stories at MAHHA. I stopped doing that to go to school; became a Chemical Engineer and worked for Raytheon Engineers in Pharma & Biotech. Worked in Biotech until about 3 years ago.

I turned my first vocation into my avocation: for 16 years our little family sailed together aboard a Swedish HR Rasmus, with several offshore passages. Had to sell that 33 year old vessel when my wife was diagnosed with MS, and lost her agility. That's when I decided we should abandon the coast and head for the hills. Bought a surplus military hammock, froze the first night, then found HF and learned how to do it right. Now both kids are hangers. For my wife, we have a 1982 13' Scamp.

I learned how to sew long ago on traditional sailing vessels with canvas sails and manilla running rigging. We made nearly everything in Hervey Garret Smith's Arts of the Sailor. Without a vessel, there has been no need for those services... until now! I've been self employed since I left Raytheon 20 years ago, and I love making gear!

In 2008, my daughter, Thing1, and I traveled through 20 states, heading out to Yellowstone via the Badlands, and returning via Arizona. HF has provided me even more opportunities to see things I've never seen before. More than making gear, I love to travel!

- MacEntyre

Cannibal
01-09-2010, 20:38
Welcome to the Forum! :tongueup::D

Hooch
01-09-2010, 20:42
Welcome, MacEntyre. Oh. :lol:

MacEntyre
01-09-2010, 20:48
Thanks, guys!

What's a good starter hammock?
Should I buy a Hennessey?
Can I just use an old army sleeping bag in a hammock?
What's a Molly Mac Pack?

:rolleyes:

Just Jeff
01-09-2010, 21:11
Hehe - well, I guess 2500+ posts is a good time to say hello...better late than never! :jj:

Knotty
01-09-2010, 21:21
The multi-dimensional MacEntyre turns out to have even more dimensions than first thought. Gotta spend some time hanging with you brother.

Peg-Leg
01-09-2010, 21:22
MacEntyre,

Wow, sounds like you've lived several lifetimes already. Thanks for sharing.

I hope your wife is doing well, my wife's sister was diagnosed with MS at 26. It's been a tough road, but her outlook is great. Reminds me not to take the gift of life for granted.

Glad your daughter enjoys the outdoors. I've got a 3 year old little lady that I hope does the same.

Peg-leg

MacEntyre
01-09-2010, 21:26
Glad your daughters enjoy the outdoors.
I have one daughter and one son. He does his own thing, being a 17 yr old sophomore in college. Thing1, my daughter, is a better scholar as well as a more enthusiastic camper.

We also have a 20 lb Westie and a 50" Ball Python in the family!

Tedinski
01-09-2010, 21:43
Thanks, guys!

What's a good starter hammock?
Should I buy a Hennessey?
Can I just use an old army sleeping bag in a hammock?
What's a Molly Mac Pack?

:rolleyes:

Haha! :D

I think you MIGHT find a few folks here with some information. So far, I'm liking my Hennessey very much, but then I didn't know there were so many to choose from, when I bought it. ;)

Nice to meet you, Mac!

angrysparrow
01-09-2010, 21:45
Welcome to the forum, MacEntyre. :)

pgibson
01-09-2010, 21:47
Really this a pretty good idea, we kind of get to know each other to a degree though the regular chit chat and posts, some more through PM's to one another, more if we get to a hang--or get to watch one via video, but a lot is still shrouded in internet mystery. I have gotten to know some of the members here really well but would not recognize them if they were siting across the table. Seems fitting to get to know a bit more about each other, we spend so much time hanging out together here, yah pun I know...

Mac thanks for sharing. Sounds like you have done a lot of amazing stuff. Bet that cross country trip was a blast. :D

MacEntyre
01-09-2010, 21:53
Bet that cross country trip was a blast. :D
It was, and it's one reason I'm headed your way next fall! I can't wait to get back!

- MacEntyre

lungcutter
01-09-2010, 22:51
I made the trip out west 2 years ago with my son and a friend. We saw Yellowstone and the Bad Lands. The west is a beautiful place.

It is nice to be self employed, it gives you time to travel.

pedro
01-09-2010, 23:45
Welcome, Mac! I enjoyed swapping sea stories with you at the MAHHA.

hikingshoes
01-09-2010, 23:58
Welcome to the Forum MAC.and glad i got to meet you.HS

gargoyle
01-10-2010, 08:57
Mac, call it deja vu, but I feel like I've known you for months already.:D

Nice adventures in your life, more to come, I'm sure.

Peter_pan
01-10-2010, 09:33
Mac,

Welcome to the forum and the hanging gang...pleasure to have met you...Hope you can make the winter hang;)

Pan

TOB9595
01-10-2010, 11:01
Hello Mac. Do you use the python as a tie out?
:)
Tom

Shug
01-10-2010, 11:27
That was a truly salty story .... I loved it.
Welcome .... love that you are a big part of my HF experience.
Shug

mbiraman
01-10-2010, 11:33
Welcome Mac. I like to see folks with various incarnations in their lives.

G.L.P.
01-10-2010, 11:39
WELCOME MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol...glad to have ya buddy ...

HappyCamper
01-10-2010, 13:06
Welcome Mac! Stay long enough and you might start making your own gear.

Barefoot Child
01-10-2010, 13:46
Welcome to the forum MacEntyre,
as a relative noob here I can tell you that you will learn a whole bunch of stuff and be entertained as well. Sit down and hold on tight!

Barefoot Child

P.S. As a side note: there are a couple of guys here that you should be very careful with the stuff that they say.....Animal Control :crying and Hawk-Eye :confused:. Oh...there safe alright....but one of them is just not right! :drool: He keeps blaming it on Mad Cow desease :confused:, and the other one (AC) :cryingkeeps changing his annoying avatar :mad: and whimpers alot. :rolleyes: But everyone here just seems to look the other way, or just close thier eyes when they be havin' one of thier hissy-fits. :closedeyes:
:lol::lol::lol::tongueup:

Hawk-eye
01-10-2010, 14:00
Welcome to the forum MacEntyre,
as a relative noob here I can tell you that you will learn a whole bunch of stuff and be entertained as well. Sit down and hold on tight!

Barefoot Child

P.S. As a side note: there are a couple of guys here that you should be very careful with the stuff that they say.....Animal Control :crying and Hawk-Eye :confused:. Oh...there safe alright....but one of them is just not right! :drool: He keeps blaming it on Mad Cow desease :confused:, and the other one (AC) :cryingkeeps changing his annoying avatar :mad: and whimpers alot. :rolleyes: But everyone here just seems to look the other way, or just close thier eyes when they be havin' one of there hissy-fits. :closedeyes:
:lol::lol::lol::tongueup:

HEY! I resemble those remarks! ;)

G.L.P.
01-10-2010, 14:17
HEY! I resemble those remarks! ;)

must be old age :lol::lol:

Barefoot Child
01-10-2010, 14:22
Hey, Hawk-Eye-dude. :confused::drool:

Jesta checkin' to see if you was a listening...Mad Cow-guy. :scared: