PDA

View Full Version : Newbe from western Minnesota

No_p55
01-10-2010, 11:46
I’ve been interested in hammocks for a couple of years now mainly because of my back, I don’t sleep very well on the ground no mater what kind of mattress I have.

I had a HH for about three weeks but didn’t like the suspension system and I felt confined, so I sent it back.

The next year I used a tent again and realized I had to try a hammock again.

I ordered and bought a Warbonnet Blackbird this fall, but wasn’t able to get out before the snow flew, so I tried it in my back yard. The first time I had a 20deg. bag and no pad and it was about 30 deg. outside and I was very cold. The second time I had a pad and a 30 below 0 bag. I fought with pad for awhile but I finely won and was very comfortable.

I’m in the process of reclaiming the down from an old comforter to make my own underquilt, we’ll see how that goes.

Can’t wait till spring to try my BB on the Superior Trail, maybe I’ll see one of you out there.

This is the first time I’ve posted anything on a forum, hope I've done it right

Phil

Cannibal
01-10-2010, 11:52
You've done well with your first ever forum post. Did you order a single layer Blackbird? The double layers make pads a lot easier to use.

Welcome to the Forum!

JayS
01-10-2010, 12:15
Welcome! You've got some great hammockers fairly close to you. Check the HF map to find some folks that can help you work out the details in person and the rest of us are here to help online.

Barefoot Child
01-10-2010, 12:53
Yeah...what Cannibil said about the double layer and pad retainment is very true...sure helps with pad. But if you have a single layer you can still make do, but remember YMMV. The UQ will definetly be an easier mode of under insulation. You can order some down from Stormcrow (just PM him) if you don't have enough after reclaiming the stuff that you already have to use for your DIY UQ project.

Great job on the first posting, welcome aboard lurker...just kidding! :laugh::laugh:

MacEntyre
01-10-2010, 14:00
Welcome!

Anybody notice that the time from lurker to DIYer is getting shorter and shorter? No_p55 starting his first DIY project before he made his first post!

- MacEntyre

Barefoot Child
01-10-2010, 14:30
What is this world coming to. :scared:
I think there are a whole lot of DIY stories that never make it on this forum.

gargoyle
01-10-2010, 15:30
Western Minnesota?? Is there a Western Minnesota?:confused:

I thought there was only North in Minnesota;)

Welcome to the forum.

Shug
01-10-2010, 15:42
Whoooo Howdy No_p55
Shug of Minnesota

No_p55
01-10-2010, 16:19
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have been reading the HF forums for probably a year before my first post. I’ve gained a lot of information from this site.

I have a double layer 1.1 oz. BB and I tried a Therm-a-Rest Z-lite pad, a Big Agnes insulated air pad and a standard gray foam pad. The gray foam pad seemed to slide around the least.

Shug I’ve probably watched all of your video’s and your the reason I decided on getting the BB hammock. Hope to meet you some day.

WarmSoda
01-10-2010, 20:57
If you would like a hiking buddy for the Superior Trail in Spring, I'd be interested.

DeeGore
01-11-2010, 00:19
Hi No p55,
I've got relatives in Benson, the Searcy's.
I think you will like the black bird on the superoir hiking hiking trail. It sure worked out well for me last summer. I'm hoping to get back out there this year.
Good luck on the underquilt.