PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bags with Arm or Leg holes - comprehensive list

Mustardman
01-10-2010, 13:09
So last night, as I laid in my hammock at 18 degrees, very toasty in my REI sleeping bag, but strongly feeling the call of nature, I started to wish I had one of those fancy sleeping bags where you can pull the bag up over your legs to walk around, or poke your arms out the side to at least grab your jacket.

What I'm hoping to do is put together a comprehensive listing of all the different bags out there that have the option to stick your arms and/or legs out, which seem like a natural fit for hammock life, where you're more likely to be adjusting underquilts or whatever while you're in the bag.

I will write down the few I know about, and then keep updating this post with any new ones I find or that are pointed out to me in this thread. Hopefully this will become a valuable resource for hammockers who like their bags, but want some more versatility. I'll try to include some general specs and details with each bag, plus a link. Weights will be for the "medium" or "regular" size, if given an option.

(all temperature ratings in Fahrenheit, because I'm 'merican :lol: )

Rock Wren by feathered friends - center zip, with arm holes and leg hole, 4" loft, 27 oz, 35 degrees
http://www.featheredfriends.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=82&CatId=1&ProductName=Rock%20Wren

Winter Wren by Feathered Friends - center zip, arm and leg hole, 4.5" loft, 35 oz, 25 degrees
http://www.featheredfriends.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productId=84&CatId=1&ProductName=Winter%20Wren

Wallcreeper 650 by Exped - full length center zip, arm and leg holes. 750 fp down, 39 oz, 27-36 degrees
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage.nsf/0/BFD4A8F68299A464C125757B002D6240?opendocument

Raku by Nunatek - Two way center zip, elastic leg hole, sleeve arms that can be pulled inside to serve as draft collar. 2.5 inch baffles, 30 oz, 20 degrees. also available in 0 and -35 degree differentially baffled options, as special order
http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/raku.htm

Selk by Lippi - full body bag with separate arms and legs. Wild. Available in several different configurations - the Selk Bag 3 has down fill, 64 oz, ~23 degrees,
http://www.lippiselkbag.co.uk/

Frog Sac by Speer - discontinued, not sure of specs.

pipe dream 200 by alpkit. Insulation only on the lower half, with the intention that you'd wear your down jacket over top of it.
http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16329&category_id=253

REI Travel Sack - Synthetic, arm and leg openings, 27 ounces, 55 degrees
http://www.rei.com/product/731835

Linelite by western mountaineering - discontinued, more of a bag liner than a true bag, but has arm and leg holes so worth mentioning. Summer weight.

Will add more when I find them

cooldays
01-10-2010, 13:15
I have an old rei travel sack rated at 55 degrees. 1lb 9 0z this am. It has a zipper for your arms but I never use the arm holes. It cost 55 dollars 10 years ago. I think its about 60 now. I like it in spring and summer and fall or in really cold weather I use it as a bag liner or under my quilt.

Rug
01-10-2010, 13:17
I hate to be the one to point this out, but if a Nature Call is what inspired this thread, isn't limiting the choices to Arm holes & Leg holes a bit limiting? =)

Mustardman
01-10-2010, 13:55
I hate to be the one to point this out, but if a Nature Call is what inspired this thread, isn't limiting the choices to Arm holes & Leg holes a bit limiting? =)

The leg holes aren't usually individual holes - it's one big hole, so you can hike the bag up as far as needed :scared:

Plus, in my case, I was doing a test hang in the backyard, and just needed to stay warm until I got into the house :D

hangnout
01-10-2010, 14:11
http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/raku.htm

another one

Mustardman
01-10-2010, 14:35
I sent an email to Nunatek to ask how much they charge for that Raku 0 degree. A 0 degree bag with the opening sounds just about perfect to me - if I need to go warmer, I can layer another bag over it as a quilt, and supplement my UQ with pads. Win-win :thumbup:

Still looking for others, will add them as I find them, or you recommend them.

HamMike
01-10-2010, 14:48
I had no idea bags like this existed, man the things I'm learnin here.

Take-a-knee
01-10-2010, 14:57
The leg holes aren't usually individual holes - it's one big hole, so you can hike the bag up as far as needed :scared:

Plus, in my case, I was doing a test hang in the backyard, and just needed to stay warm until I got into the house :D

Yes, VERY simple to do, even for me.

turk
01-10-2010, 18:52
I think we should add the selk bag to this list
http://www.lippiselkbag.co.uk/

and also the speer frog sac

Gebirgsjager
01-10-2010, 19:08
I sometimes use an old German Army surplus sleeping bag that has arms and can be used as a Parka as well. It's a bit heavy, but I have found that it lends itself well to hammock camping.

mbiraman
01-10-2010, 19:26
Good list Mustardman. I've been coveting the rock wren for a while now but haven;t decided if its the best way to go yet.

Tedinski
01-10-2010, 19:34
I sometimes use an old German Army surplus sleeping bag that has arms and can be used as a Parka as well. It's a bit heavy, but I have found that it lends itself well to hammock camping.

I used to have one of these! I used it for deer hunting -- great for taking a nap under the nearest tree. ;)

Not super warm, but good 3-season unit.

Mustardman
01-10-2010, 21:38
I dig the rock wren a lot, and many of the other designs, but it seems that few of them go as cold as I want them to be. I want some massive loft for winter use - am seriously considering trying to modify an expensive down sleeping bag to make my own. I'm thinking putting the leg opening on the back side of the bag, where you crush the insulation anyway, would make a lot of sense, to avoid a cold drafty spot.

MedicineMan
01-10-2010, 21:53
I'm going to guess $800 for a OF Raku...let me know if i'm close when Nunatak writes back.
Forgot, the JRB Down Sleeves would be perfect for one of these systems and after you're in the hammock the sleeves can be worn inside for more warmth.
I gave my oldest daughter a WallCreeper (that's why I've got one)...she raved over it. One thing I did notice about them is that the hood is very impressive for comfort and fit.
I went to the exped site...for men, the down Wallcreeper they say comfort 27F but get this, for men lower extreme -4F ?????
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage.nsf/b43HomePageE?openframeset

Mustardman
01-11-2010, 13:28
I sent an email to feathered friends to see if they could do a 0 degree Rock Wren - and they can! Here's the response I got:

"We could over fill the Winter Wren to get it down to 0 degrees Adding about
12 ounces of down should do the trick at a cost of $10 per ounce. We would
need to increase the baffle wall height as well to accommodate this extra
down and that custom fee would be $150 - all this would be in addition to
the base price of the bag."

So it would be pricey but possible.

Flatfishy
01-11-2010, 16:40
http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16329&category_id=253

vitamaltz
01-11-2010, 16:53
I was thinking about the Travel Sack as well. I've put hundreds of nights in mine. The problem is, it's over two pounds (although it compresses nicely) and doesn't get me below 60. It sure has some nice arm holes, though.

Mrprez
01-11-2010, 16:54
There are no arm holes in a Frog Sac....

Mustardman
01-11-2010, 16:57
Does it have a leg opening, mrprez? I know nothing about it - just added it since it was suggested by Turk.

Mrprez
01-11-2010, 17:01
Yes, the bottom does open up and you can fold it up around your waist similar to the other bags.

Dutch
01-11-2010, 18:36
The walcreeper makes a synthetic version and also a 32 degree down version.

I own the 32 degree walcreeper, a frogsac, and I don't like either of them.

My wife has a 0 degree one from FF. It is a great bag (but it is purple). It has armholes and open on the bottom like the wren. I think it is only 2 1/2 pounds. The I have taken this bag down in the teen, the only proplem was my feet got cold. I think she paid less then $400 for it. I wore it at the 2nd Mt Rogers hang (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=2683&catid=searchresults&searchid=31531)and will probably take it this year. Really is a great hammock winter bag. I rate it up there with my Marmot helium.

Mustardman
01-11-2010, 21:06
Dutch - you said it isn't the wren - what is your wife's 0 degree bag with the arm holes called? Was it a custom order?

To get a 0 degree modification to the winter wren, it looks like it would cost around $600, so I'm wondering what exactly it is that your wife has.

MedicineMan
01-11-2010, 21:29
Because of this thread I've gotten my Wallcreeper out of the storage box...really only played with it once before. I do like the functionality of it and do agree with a poster prior that in conjuction with a Hilleberg BivAnorak it would rule. I think I'll try it this coming weekend if the roads allow me to get to the hang in NC...I want to use it inside a peadpod along with a 1/4inch ccf pad.
Dutch-what is it you don't like about the Wallcreeper. I think it has one of the most advanced hood designs I've seen, even compared to many a jacket. The size of the L is such that I could easily wear lofty clothes underneath...if it is sleepware (the Wallcreeper) and campwear then two birds which is a plus.

Dutch
01-12-2010, 09:45
Dutch - you said it isn't the wren - what is your wife's 0 degree bag with the arm holes called? Was it a custom order?

To get a 0 degree modification to the winter wren, it looks like it would cost around $600, so I'm wondering what exactly it is that your wife has.

My wife got it about 5 years ago and I don't think they make a 0 degree wren. It clearly says feathered freinds on it. I thought the wren has it written on it. Maybe it is one since she was the one to order it, she may not be as name or brand oriented. In any case really nice bag.

Because of this thread I've gotten my Wallcreeper out of the storage box...really only played with it once before. I do like the functionality of it and do agree with a poster prior that in conjuction with a Hilleberg BivAnorak it would rule. I think I'll try it this coming weekend if the roads allow me to get to the hang in NC...I want to use it inside a peadpod along with a 1/4inch ccf pad.
Dutch-what is it you don't like about the Wallcreeper. I think it has one of the most advanced hood designs I've seen, even compared to many a jacket. The size of the L is such that I could easily wear lofty clothes underneath...if it is sleepware (the Wallcreeper) and campwear then two birds which is a plus.

I also have the large and it is not only long but it is huge around. It is really well made but it weighs over 2 1/2 pounds. That would be OK but it won't get me near the 32 degree rating. That has been my biggest dissapointment. I won't take it below 45 degrees. I have thought about modding it so it is thicker and more form fitting but it looks tough to do and it is really a brand new bag. I should just sell it.

Take-a-knee
01-12-2010, 14:16

It's gotta be a Winter Wren if it has a center zip and a drawstring foot and armholes. It is likely also a zero degree bag (or at least a solid ten degree bag) if it is overstuffed, that 25 degree rating would be for an anemic anorexic, that bag is way warmer.

Mustardman
01-12-2010, 14:39
It's gotta be a Winter Wren if it has a center zip and a drawstring foot and armholes. It is likely also a zero degree bag (or at least a solid ten degree bag) if it is overstuffed, that 25 degree rating would be for an anemic anorexic, that bag is way warmer.

That's good to hear - I was thinking of ordering upgrading it to larger baffles and way more down, but if a little overstuff will do the trick, I'm all for it. That upgrade was looking pretty pricey.

Take-a-knee
01-12-2010, 16:38
That's good to hear - I was thinking of ordering upgrading it to larger baffles and way more down, but if a little overstuff will do the trick, I'm all for it. That upgrade was looking pretty pricey.

I also have a regular Rock Wren, last year I slept in the mid twenties with it and a JRB Nest and was warm. If that design has a drawback (actually it has two, I think) it is the potential for air leakage at the neck near the zipper. A JRB sleeve would likely eliminate that. The other is the large footbox, it can't be any smaller and fit over your butt, in fact, if you have a large butt, this may be an issue. I'm not convinced a hammocker is any better off with a standard Wren over a JRB No Sniveler, the JRB is lighter, but you've gotta use a hood with it. Getting down to single digit temps the Winter Wren MAY have an edge (I'm not yet convinced) over a Rocky Mtn No Sniveler. The regular Wren's short (36in) zipper could cause discomfort on a warmer night, you just can't vent well enough. If I were to order again I'd likely have a zipper of 50 or so inches installed, that way you could use the bag as a quilt on warmer nights.

bigfoot2
01-12-2010, 17:00
My Wallcreeper is the most versatile bag i own. I use it in the winter as a Peapod with a top quilt inside. I have taken the thing to zero in the snow in the Three Sisters here in Oregon and been toasty warm with a top quilt and extra layers. I am intrigued by the 20 degree model that came out this year.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2587&d=1227924801

BF:cool:

MedicineMan
01-12-2010, 21:21
Bigfoot2--awesome pic! Using it as a peapod gives it even greater potential...I'd think of it as an insulated sock maybe rather than a pod with its temp rating but the uses keep coming with this piece of gear.
I slept in side today (it is my work week) and simply used it as a comforter--so dual trail/home use too. Shame it's been sitting in the box so long...
I don't know about the 20F model of Wallcreeper? any more clues?

Harpo63
01-12-2010, 21:51
Reading these posts, I cant help but wonder if some of those down jacket & pant combos (like Montbell UL tech down jacket and pants) makes more sense than some of the sleeping bags you can stick your appendages out of. Especially when some say the bag is good to the 20s and need to add a TQ to work.

Am I missing something?

MedicineMan
01-12-2010, 21:58
I think we just made one point in that it can be a peapod around the hammock whereas the pants-jacket all-in-one suit type deal cannot also be a peapod. The Wallcreeper can also be a walk around in camp jacket too, and as I was playing with this morning a simple comforter.
Just found the 20F model--sweet but over $300! maybe not so bad considering all it does.
Also, Exped is changing the name for 2010 from Wallcreeper to Dreamwalker.
The more I play with mine the more I love it...but thinking of what Harpo just said, I think I'll wear my down pants and WM Flash inside the Wallcreeper---ever more versatility, and versatility is the name of the game with these things.

MedicineMan
01-12-2010, 22:20
reminds me, on another post maybe, someone mentioned the Bod-i-bag. I keep a 300 fleece weight bod-i-bag in the kayak (in a dry bag) and seem to always have the BivAnorak with me whether paddling or day hiking (no need when backpacking)..the Bod-i-bag is very similar to the wallcreeper except the total body zipper and if she's still making them does complete custom work.

MedicineMan
01-13-2010, 00:17
Bigfoot2...after studying the pic you posted of the WC used in peapod mode...wouldnt it be cool if there was an exit hole at the base of the hood for the hammock suspension to exit? then you could use the excellent hood of the Wallcreeper.

WarmSoda
01-13-2010, 00:45
I've been real happy with my bag from TNF in their Flight Series. It has a zipper at the top of the foot box for ventilation and small steps. They have recently updated this bag to the Beehive (http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=10330&storeId=207&catalogId=10201&langId=-1&from=subCat&parent_category_rn=11749&variationId=1W2) which has added arm holes.

spidennis
01-16-2010, 12:08
I think we just made one point in that it can be a peapod around the hammock whereas the pants-jacket all-in-one suit type deal cannot also be a peapod. The Wallcreeper can also be a walk around in camp jacket too, and as I was playing with this morning a simple comforter.
Just found the 20F model--sweet but over $300! maybe not so bad considering all it does.
The more I play with mine the more I love it...but thinking of what Harpo just said, I think I'll wear my down pants and WM Flash inside the Wallcreeper---ever more versatility, and versatility is the name of the game with these things.

so I'm shopping for a bag, something to take me to the 20ies. I've only done summer style camping but got some trips planned that make my frogsac gonna be usefull only as a bag lining. I use my frogsac a lot everyday during the winter for watching tv while in my hammock. I don't have a couch for this purpose, why? when I have a hammock?! anyway, I do have a huge el'cheapo wallmart bag that's ok for sleeping in the jeep but that's just not gonna fit in my prijon beluga kayak.

Now this Dreamwalker sure looks good! combined with a exed 9 pad and I think I'll be all set. there will be times I have to bivy the hammock as there's just no where to hang sometimes (big bend, rio grande river) and I'm preparing for that. got a thread about that here:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13131&page=4
I've been reading the reviews but wish there was some good youtube on this, the 9 has quite a few, oh well ....

am I over looking something? I just want to ask before I pull out the card that makes it all happen .....

spidennis
01-16-2010, 14:09

I find very little about the Dreamwalker, even the exped website still calls it the wallcreeper ....... and can't find a dreamwalker for sale anywhere! but there are wallcreepers available.
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage.nsf/b43HomePageE?openframeset

spidennis
01-16-2010, 16:32
ordered one from here: 254 bucks to my door ...
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Exped/idesc/Wallcreeper+650+g+%2B20+Down+Sleeping+Bag/Store/MG/item/214702/N/4294966974

bigfoot2
01-17-2010, 14:15
Bigfoot2...after studying the pic you posted of the WC used in peapod mode...wouldnt it be cool if there was an exit hole at the base of the hood for the hammock suspension to exit? then you could use the excellent hood of the Wallcreeper.

Awesome idea! I think a "head hole" like a JRB No-Sniveller would be neat. I think i might have to modify mine. A hole that seals with velcro along the back of the neck seam would work.

BF:cool:

spidennis
01-17-2010, 18:42
the perfect addition to the wallcreeper if you have to hit the ground or sandy beach?
but I think I got to sleep on this one first ........
and I'm wondering just how does one get inside this thing?

Link:
http://www.hilleberg.com/2006%20Products/NewBivanorak.htm

review:
http://www.oldjimbo.com/Outdoors-Magazine/The-Ultimate-Bivy.pdf

http://www.sandslave.com/Bivanorak-Details-150.jpg

http://www.sandslave.com/l_214702_s06_trt.jpg

MedicineMan
01-17-2010, 23:55
Good to see more info/interest on the WallCreeper, which as we know now for the 2010 year and therafter is to be called the DreamCatcher--sammie same as WallCreeper. As mentioned before mine sat in a box for the longest time....but took it to the Uwharrie hang this weekend. Thanks to McIntyre we now have seen the WallCreeper used as a peapod up close and personal; in fact we did a peapod in a peapod by wrapping the Speer 8.5 hammock with a Wallcreeper and then wrapping that with a Speer Peapod. First time I've been HOT in a hammock in a long long time.
My Wallcreeper is the one rated to 38F (there are now four models of Wallcreeper/DreamCatcher on the market).
The beauty of the Wallcreeper double peapod system is that you can un-velcroe the Speer PeaPod and stick your arms out of the Exped 'peapod' and reach out and do whatever....the downside of this system is sheer WEIGHT but this system would only be used in the serious deep dark cold (which for me is anything under 40F, that cold of a sleeper).
Also congrats on you new Wallcreeper and for discovering the Hilleberg BivAnorak. I've carried the BivAnorak on day hikes for years, and have actually used it as an anorak in the rain and hiked in it. It is standard issue for Swiss fighter pilots and upon ejection have instant shelter that is mobile. The BivAnorak + Wallcreeper/DreamCatcher OR the Bod-i-bag (if you like fleece) is a near perfect instant/expedient shelter and both together would be perfect in a BOB. The only downside of the BivAnorak is the PRICE but it is an excellent insurance policy when hiking or paddling.

slowhike
01-18-2010, 00:41
Here is my first attempt. More pictures in my gallery, pages 16 & 17.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/PC140026_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=257&c=member&imageuser=25)
I was actually pleased w/ the functionality, but I was piecing together scraps of insulation & such, figuring things out as I went, so the weight & bulk was more than it should have been.
I never did get around to an improved version, but I think it could be done so that the weight to warmth value would be better than most of the commercial wearable quilts.

At one of the Mt Rogers Winter Hangs I used it as my top quilt & wore it around camp some. It did the job fine, but people started pickin on me about my "prom dress":rolleyes::D

spidennis
01-31-2010, 18:06
I got my new/replacement wallcreeper 650 in from moontrail.com and tested it out a few times and I'm pretty happy with it. I also have a frogsac and tried it out as an uq (am I still in the right part of the forum now?) and it shows some real nice promise. I keep putting off that sewing machine purchase but I really want to add some mods to my frogsac so I can use it as an uq, and then mod the wallcreeper to do the same .... and I got mods for the ......

here's my thread on my wallcreeper:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13938

Doc B
02-05-2011, 23:07
Hey Gang,

I too LOVE the concept of Exped's Dreamwalker. My wife got one for me and I was excited when it came in the mail. The excitement slowly faded when I put it on / got into it. It is really SNUG for me. I may see about having something just like it custom made for me. I would just like to make it larger so I could use it as a Peapod on a hammock too. The size of a standard rectangular sleeping bag would be perfect for me.

Doc

Subsequently, I have a new synthetic one if any of you know anyone interested. Please let me know. I never used it, just tried it out in my bedroom once. $150 shipped!

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28127

Cheers,
Doc

fourdog
02-07-2011, 08:59
Ive used the Feathered Freinds Winter wren as a peapod system with
the Biverack by Hilleberg down to the teens with no tarp
with great results. There both one of my favrite pcs of kit.
The only draw back on the Wren may be a little small in width for most men.

The Exped Dreamwalker works great also and find the down model works great down to 30-35F.
I've slept down to -22F with two.
You must get the LARGE size.The Meduim is best for small people.
I use them as a peapod system.
The full length zipper makes for easy in and out.
The nice thing thing with that with two bags system you have a extra one
for summer for a friend.

I've have photos of both systems in postings I have made over the past year.

The Wiggys ECOTAT bag also works great and have slept down to -16F
with that system.

I love the mutifunction of those type of systems and are my go to for any time of the year.

In full disclosure I'm a dealer for EXPED.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

OutandBack
02-07-2011, 11:55
Hi Mustardman,
My Western Mtn'eering 5 degree bag has a separate zipper in the foot which one could open in the hammock and hike it up to do your business.
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&ContentId=39

Jsaults
02-07-2011, 12:50
I have a fleece liner bag from REI that as I recall was dirt cheap - $29.95 or so - and has a foot opening with drawstring, a short zip to the waist on one side, a very short zip on the opposite side and a hood. Makes a great liner or a bag by itself for 60 degF nights.

But I have not seen it in REI's website for a few years.

Jim

linuxhack
02-07-2011, 13:18
This is the bag Neo used to talk about awhile back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sniper-Hunters-PARKA-Tree-Stand-Jacket-Sleeping-Bag-/220734435956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3364cc3274#ht_1650wt_706

I have one, but haven’t used it much. I wouldn’t trust the specs listed... :lol: