PDA

View Full Version : How to get more female hammockers - Woman Responses Only

Karla "with a k"
03-01-2017, 22:42
I don't seem to have difficulties getting female friends to tent camp. However, hammock camping is a different story. Why do you think that is? I started hammock camping because I attended a hang with a fellow female hammocker and I planned to tent. Next, I was allowed to borrow gear. Then, I was hooked. Do we ladies need to step up and reach out more?

Since this Woman's sub-forum is so new, I'd like to only hear from females--really get this sub-forum going with discussion.

IRONFISH45
03-01-2017, 23:03
When I joined Hammock Forums there were very few female members. Now we have a lot of lady members plus women joining all the time.
Often "She" members do not advertise their gender, which I like
IMHO it helps the site work more efficiently.

jellyfish
03-01-2017, 23:09
First thread woohoo!!!

I started hammock camping because I have just come to terms with the fact that if I want to go camping, often that will mean that I have to go by myself. So selfishly, I am only thinking of myself and what I want. I am not caring anymore about accommodating what someone else wants to do, or how much head room they want in a tent so that they can stand upright when putting on pants. Hahaha. It feels great.

I don't know why more women don't hammock camp. I don't know why more women don't camp, period.

I think we definitely need to reach out more and show by example.

I'd like to see more women hammock camping on youtube. Sharing stories. Being supportive.

This new format here is great. Wtg Hammock Forums!

Red Haired Booper
03-02-2017, 06:24
I think we just need to spread the word. I didn't know hammock camping was a thing until a few months ago.

hutzelbein
03-02-2017, 06:25
I don't know that many people who would be willing to sleep outdoors, with all that is attached to that. And of those, non thinks they would be able to sleep in a hammock. So I can only answer for myself, not for other women. Also, my situation is different from most other people on this forum, because I live in a country where sleeping in the woods is not allowed. If you want to camp, you have to use a public campsite - and we almost exclusively have campsites of the KOA-type. So the number one deterrent is actually the legal situation. I have never slept in the woods in my home country ever (although I want to), being the nice and law-abiding girl that I am. I assume many women (and maybe even a few men) feel similar.

Other than that, hygiene - or rather the lack thereof - is probably a factor. Nobody taught me how to keep at least somewhat clean in the woods. On my first couple of hikes I smelled so bad, that I was ashamed of being anywhere near other people (on the way back). So on my following hikes I made an effort to clean myself and my clothes every night, which helped a bit, but I cannot imagine any of my girlfriends or women acquaintances to stand naked in the woods and wash with the help of a water bottle while getting bitten in the butt by every **** mosquito in the area... I was lucky that it was always pretty warm and fairly dry - I probably would prefer to smell when temps are getting close to freezing and it's raining...

Privacy has been an issue for me, too. I stayed in one or two more popular backcountry campsites (one in the White Mountains), where there were NO places that were out-of-sight. There was only one toilet, and it was asked that you would only use it for "number 2". Men don't care about that. They can do their business without exposing themselves to the whole audience. I hated it. This campsite must have been laid out by men - otherwise there would have been some bushes or some corners that would have provided some privacy.

Then men are often not helping, too. I cannot tell how often I have been asked by male hikers / campers "are you not afraid to hike / camp on your own?" I don't freak out easily, and always laughed it off - but I wish that men would take a second to think about how they come across BEFORE asking that of a woman they just met somewhere in the wilderness... I'm used to travelling on my own, and I'm used to men sometimes behaving a bit stupid, but a woman who's hiking and sleeping outdoors on her own for the first time might not be that calm.

Still, safety is an important issue. For some reason, I have always felt safe when using backcountry campsites in NZ and the US. Probably because I (maybe falsely) assumed that everybody I met was there for the same reasons as me. In my country it's different. I would only want to sleep in a place where I'm sure I'm not seen by anybody, and only in part because it is not allowed. Most people you meet in the woods here just go for a walk (often with their dogs). You rarely meet another hiker. It's illogical, but I mistrust non-hikers/campers and wouldn't want them to know where I sleep.

Edit: Sorry, I misread the question. Ignore my answer.

dkurfiss
03-02-2017, 07:28
Folks,

Please get this post posted on hammocks and not other things like safety, privacy, etc. If the focus remains as it is heading now, I will be forced to move it to the DM area.

tollermama
03-02-2017, 07:51
Well, I am trying to spread the word about hammock camping to all my friends regardless of gender, but I must say that to some extent I think it has to do with having to get a whole new set up for camping. All my women friends have tents and many on limited budgets and the thought of switching to a new set up like a hammock and all it's trappings is not that great. Where I live, one must have a bug net and many of my friends are not that motivated to make their own gear if they even know how to sew which most of them don't. I have to say that I have one friend who is curious about it. I think of the comfort factor mostly and try to let people know how comfy it is.

I also like the idea of a woman doing you tube videos, I personally have no clue how to do any of that and can't really afford to get a a set up for that. I also have limited bandwidth for uploading stuff like that so it is not in my cards. (Rural areas are great except for getting high speed internet). :(

akaCat
03-02-2017, 08:24
A common theme to most new hammock campers seems to be not wanting to invest a lot of $$$ in it until they've had a chance to see what different setups are like. Hammocking is still so niche that it almost requires attending a hang to do that -- and I know for myself, I was really nervous about showing up to a hang not knowing if other women would be there.

So, making sure that it's clearly stated that women are attending a hang would help. Organizing an entire women-only hang, or a mini-hang within a larger women-only camping outing would probably help even more.

(Note: I am not a hammock camper in the camping sense of the phrase, primarily for non-woman-specific reasons.)

DuneElliot
03-02-2017, 08:26
I live in an area where there are few if any hammock campers, period. I only stumbled onto the idea of hammocks because of White Blaze and also when looking for a "perfect" tent which was more tarp and inner in my mind. This got me thinking about getting off the ground but since I don't even camp with female friends I have wouldn't even know where to start with it. The few people I have mentioned it to have looked at me very skeptically and announced how impossible they are to sleep in...and won't listen to an explanation.

Maybe women, more than men, prefer the "security" of a tent and are nervous to try something that leaves them more exposed. I'd love to find some female friends to hang with

dkurfiss
03-02-2017, 09:59
I have to agree with many of the statement already posted. I think much of it comes down to cost to get them started. What I do is offer them my spare gear to join me on a hang. Putting together a table cloth hammock with a Fronkey net, PLUQ and PLTQ in the summer for them is really minimum cost.

jellyfish
03-02-2017, 10:06
I have to agree with many of the statement already posted. I think much of it comes down to cost to get them started. What I do is offer them my spare gear to join me on a hang. Putting together a table cloth hammock with a Fronkey net, PLUQ and PLTQ in the summer for them is really minimum cost.

I need to do this. I should put together a loaner pack. Great idea.

One-Sky
03-02-2017, 10:54
I think that they are comfortable with their tent setups, and are content with the feeling of security it offers them, which is absolutely fine. But for myself and I’m sure for many others, once I tried it, I didn’t want to go back to a tent. With that being said, I have enough gear now that I could easily get three set up. I know, I’m a hoarder of hammock gear (I can’t help it). You just don’t know what you’re missing until you try it. So I agree with hangs, there are women who are going to want to see what all this is about beforehand and to get a chance to try it before investing in more gear or making a total switch. It’s a personal choice, and no matter what we choose, as long as we are out enjoying the great outdoors and having a great time, that’s all that matters to me  :)

souperjen24
03-02-2017, 11:25
I think it's also a lack of knowledge that hammock camping even exists/is a possibility. Last year I went on my first backpacking trip and 3 other females were there - one was my partner (who doesn't hammock camp, but I'm working on it!), one was my friend who does hammock camp, and the other is a friend who is very outdoorsy, but just uses a tent with her husband. Before I started hammock camping, neither my partner nor my friend with the husband knew it was a possibility.

I think the way to get more women to hammock camp is exposure. I love the idea of a women hang, or a hang where a large subgroup of women will be. I am so new, so I don't feel like I have a lot of experience to offer, but I try to answer any questions my friends have - and they only have questions because they either see me with my hammock or hear me talking about it. I think the key is to get them out there camping and expose them to the possibility of hammocks by having them lay in yours and see what you're doing.

xMagnolia
03-02-2017, 13:19
I've transformed two sisters and two friends. I took myself to a group hang, camped solo, camped with fellow forum members and they became curious about my adventures, so I invited them to a group hang.

The crowd from Alabama made them feel so welcome, shared their knowledge and gear, and even offered to build hammocks. Three new hammockers were hooked immediately.

There is no better motivation than a good night sleep in a hammock and fun with other hammockers.

Charlotte

QuietStorm
03-02-2017, 18:02
Thanks for the thread. I solo hike and camp on the AT and use a hammock. I've experimented quite a bit and currently use an ENO single nest. I just bought an Outdoor Vitals underquilt and am very excited to try it out this weekend on the AT in PA. I'm taking my 20-year-old daughter with me. She's hammock camped once with me last year and loved it. Hammock camping has a learning curve, which may deter some. I like playing and experimenting with gear. I also prefer hanging rather than sleeping on the ground or shelter. I've been hammock camping all winter--every weekend--and it's been a challenge but fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Country Roads
03-02-2017, 18:41
I had never really heard a lot about hammock camping until I met a thruhiker at the Devils Racecourse shelter. He extolled the virtues of his Hennessy hammock, so I started to research hammock camping. I now try to get anyone I meet, male or female, to consider hammocks. I think a lot of women don't think about hammocks, because we rarely make the decisions in camping plans. Hammocks are still not as mainstream as tenting. As for me, I love to solo backpack. Hammocks give me so many more options and comfort. I also like the almost unlimited DIY options available in hammock camping; so this does help offset the expenses.

Khs777
03-02-2017, 21:24
I've been hammocking for two years and have become addicted. The Dutch Chameleon will be my third.
When going motorcycle camping with other female riders I've tried to get them to convert, especially in the mornings when they wake up stiff from a night on the ground, but I can't even get them to lie down in one. They're afraid of falling out, even though they know I just spent all night in mine. Go figure :-)

Singingcrowsings
03-02-2017, 22:07
Up here in Canada, most people are very ignorant about hammocks for sleeping, never mind camping. Whenever I tell anyone (I've mostly mentioned it to my female friends) about my hammocks (I'm a full-timer in a Mayan and have a nylon one for camping), the very first thing I get is, "Isn't that bad for your back?" Of course I correct them, but then their second concern is, "Isn't it cold?" and again I correct them. So comfort and staying warm are top priorities for them. After they've thought about it for a bit, I get, "Where do you put your stuff?" and questions about privacy. And then there's the lack of being able to "cuddle" factor for those who camp with their significant other, which, along with their lack of vision in the privacy area, is, for many the final "make or break" decision maker. At least that's been my experience with my friends.

Really, I think women who prefer to camp with others tend to question more before trying. For soloists, hanging just makes sense! But then, there's not the privacy issue, nor the cuddle factor.

I agree that finances is an issue, however, I think the lack of frequency that some women camp has to do with how much they're willing to invest in their gear too, DIY time, the learning curve time, or financially.

Country Roads
03-03-2017, 18:49
I do often camp with some guy friends. Privacy becomes a non-issue when you go with others that are respectful of each other. I really am fortunate to have such good backpacking partners. I do know of couples that hammock camp. They have no issues using different set ups while backpacking; comfort trumps cuddle factor for them. I am certainly hoping to do a few more conversions this year.

Slack Packhiker
03-03-2017, 19:48
I never considered a hammock until I tried someone's hammock and was a believer instantly. Of note, the set up of the two Eno hammocks had visitors from neighboring campsites every time I passed by. It looked liked the guys were holding a hammock class. Most folks, like me, were in RVs, and even the ultimate comfort seekers were intrigued by the hammocks.

Learning about the whole hanging process is great fun, from knots to hardwear, hammocks to tarps, there's lots to keep things interesting.

lilprincess
03-03-2017, 20:43
I try and get ladies who've never done anything else. While they don't know any different. Lol

I have extra gear: backpacks, hanmocks, insulations, tarps etc.. then take them out camping. Usually a backpacking trip with girls only. Lots of tea or coffee, short easy miles and yummy food. Camping lights really helped make them comfortable at night too.

Last year was the second official girls only trip. Some of those that went the time before helped me teach the new ones. We helped set them up and tuck them in at night. Teaching is the best way to learn of course, so we keep growing as a group. Now finding room for 10 hammocks will be a challenge this year. But we are up for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

carmen2kayak
03-04-2017, 08:52
IMO, cost and fiddle factor are deterrents. Selecting a hammock, suspension, tarp, top and bottom insulation can be overwhelming. Then setting them up between properly spaced trees takes practice. Picking a tent, pad and sleeping bag is so much easier although finding a proper site for the tent can be difficult. Once you experience the good night of sleep in a hammock with fewer aches and pains, hammocking is a no-brainer. I converted one friend and she has converted a few others. Alas, most of our buddies still choose tents. At least they camp!

laracrofty
03-08-2017, 13:10
First thread woohoo!!!

I started hammock camping because I have just come to terms with the fact that if I want to go camping, often that will mean that I have to go by myself. So selfishly, I am only thinking of myself and what I want. I am not caring anymore about accommodating what someone else wants to do, or how much head room they want in a tent so that they can stand upright when putting on pants. Hahaha. It feels great.

I don't know why more women don't hammock camp. I don't know why more women don't camp, period.

I think we definitely need to reach out more and show by example.

I'd like to see more women hammock camping on youtube. Sharing stories. Being supportive.

This new format here is great. Wtg Hammock Forums!

I just started hammock camping and am persistently going by myself. My bf is the opposite of outdoorsy, and I have a foot issues that means I am not a long distance hiker at the moment. So far I've done two solo overnights with hammock only, and two late last year with hammock and backup tent in case I couldn't deal with actual sleeping. Still working on getting the set up right, I'm short so the trees that are feasible for me usually put my suspension at its shortest possible.

But this weekend I'm going on an overnight at a nearby state park (Ft McAllister in Richmond Hill, GA), with two women who are curious about hammock camping. So, we'll see how it all goes. Hopefully I will have some new recruits soon!

laracrofty
03-08-2017, 13:13
IMO, cost and fiddle factor are deterrents. Selecting a hammock, suspension, tarp, top and bottom insulation can be overwhelming. Then setting them up between properly spaced trees takes practice. Picking a tent, pad and sleeping bag is so much easier although finding a proper site for the tent can be difficult. Once you experience the good night of sleep in a hammock with fewer aches and pains, hammocking is a no-brainer. I converted one friend and she has converted a few others. Alas, most of our buddies still choose tents. At least they camp!

I have yet to be fully comfortable in a hammock overnight. Upper back and neck curvature seems too be too much, but I'm hoping that is just a setup tweak that I need to figure out.

I am a couple of hrs from Charlotte and it seems like a great area for camping and hiking-- got any must-sees I should check out this summer?

Gyp-C
03-17-2017, 10:05
I'm right there with ya on this. My husband does not do outdoors, I host a women's hike group but all of them are "scared" of backpacking. I even have extra gear I offered to let them borrow to check out to no avail. I just decided I would start going on my own and my family definitely doesn't dig that aspect. I've been talking about getting a blog or vlog up and going for a bit, since there's also not many Ketogenic hikers with info out. It's just the time consumption that's keeping me back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MoniqueWS
04-18-2017, 10:23
Almost 10 years ago my eldest son joined a Boy Scout troop. The first year I did not do any camping with them at all. The next year he and I shared a tent while a father and son hammock camped. I was one of those folks who didn't even want to sit in the hammock. I also didn't dig the idea of placing my sleeping bag around the hammock like they did. Another year on another boy joined the troop and he hammock camped in a single layer hammock and tarp he made himself (right on!). He convinced me to sit in his hammock and talk about the sewing (one of my favorite topics). His hammock was too short for me to get a good lie in as he made it for his 4.5' self and I am almost 6'. I could see the benefits to sitting in the hammock in camp and that was about it.

Fast forward a couple more years and my son convinced me to do a 50-miler. I carried 46# in the Wallowas/Eagle Cap area. We shared a tent again. I LOVED backpacking but knew I needed to get my pack MUCH lighter. New sleeping pad, new home made down camping quilt, new tarp tent and new backpack and my weight was significantly lighter but not quite where I want it to be yet. Enter hammocks - so much lighter than tents! I just dove into making my own hammock after reading a lot of Backpacking Light and Hammock Forums. I got to geek out on fabrics and suspensions and indulge my weight weenie self.

I backpack and hike and summer camp with the Boy Scouts all the time. I set up a little to the side. They have all been super respectful of my privacy (and let's face it I do not have a 15 year old girl's body anymore) and usually overnight my tarp is down to my lower calves and I wake up before they all do so changing out of longjohns into my hiking clothes is not an issue.

Several years ago we started a BSA Venturing Crew so my then 13 year old daughter could do the stuff her brothers were doing. There are a dozen young people in the Crew. About half are female and most of them are Boy Scout Sisters. It only took a couple backpack trips and they have ALL become convinced a hammock is the way to go. Less weight. More comfort. Just as easy to learn how to set up as a tent.

Lead by example (and get them young!)

artgirl42
04-23-2017, 16:30
Almost 10 years ago my eldest son joined a Boy Scout troop. The first year I did not do any camping with them at all. The next year he and I shared a tent while a father and son hammock camped. I was one of those folks who didn't even want to sit in the hammock. I also didn't dig the idea of placing my sleeping bag around the hammock like they did. Another year on another boy joined the troop and he hammock camped in a single layer hammock and tarp he made himself (right on!). He convinced me to sit in his hammock and talk about the sewing (one of my favorite topics). His hammock was too short for me to get a good lie in as he made it for his 4.5' self and I am almost 6'. I could see the benefits to sitting in the hammock in camp and that was about it.

Fast forward a couple more years and my son convinced me to do a 50-miler. I carried 46# in the Wallowas/Eagle Cap area. We shared a tent again. I LOVED backpacking but knew I needed to get my pack MUCH lighter. New sleeping pad, new home made down camping quilt, new tarp tent and new backpack and my weight was significantly lighter but not quite where I want it to be yet. Enter hammocks - so much lighter than tents! I just dove into making my own hammock after reading a lot of Backpacking Light and Hammock Forums. I got to geek out on fabrics and suspensions and indulge my weight weenie self.

I backpack and hike and summer camp with the Boy Scouts all the time. I set up a little to the side. They have all been super respectful of my privacy (and let's face it I do not have a 15 year old girl's body anymore) and usually overnight my tarp is down to my lower calves and I wake up before they all do so changing out of longjohns into my hiking clothes is not an issue.

Several years ago we started a BSA Venturing Crew so my then 13 year old daughter could do the stuff her brothers were doing. There are a dozen young people in the Crew. About half are female and most of them are Boy Scout Sisters. It only took a couple backpack trips and they have ALL become convinced a hammock is the way to go. Less weight. More comfort. Just as easy to learn how to set up as a tent.

Lead by example (and get them young!)

That is super cool! I wish I could get some of my friends on board, but they all LOVE sleeping on rocks apparently[emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaraR
04-23-2017, 18:15
I don't know if women are less likely to want to try hammocking, in our case I got a hammock first and then my DH got one too. But I can see how non-campers are more comfortable with the idea of trying to sleep in a tent than a hammock as most ppl are used to sleeping on a bed or the floir as kids, than in a hammock. But I think the privacy issuehas a lot to do with it too and can't be ignored. Getting changed out of sight while kneeling in a tent is just a bit awkward, whereas the thought of stripping off while standing in the open is a lot more daunting I'm sure.

Treeshadow
04-23-2017, 18:33
I think if the women continue to respond on here thinking much like the guys when they started this group talk year's ago (HF).
With time and location information maybe more women will read, ask questions ghey may not feel comfortable asking being new. I get this, I teach women and men golf. I started a league for women newbies to get out and play in a comfortable group atmosphere. I heard every excuse from the ladies, but hardly ever from the men, they just go out and don't care. Women...well some will just go out and hang, but we don't find that many.
How can we introduce more women? Events, do they have any hammock conventions out there for the public?

artgirl42
04-23-2017, 18:34
I think running events that are specifically for women will help get more on board, and make them feel more comfortable.

xMagnolia
04-23-2017, 18:52
At the group hang in MS this weekend, at least half of the hangers were female. They included, besides the female halves of 3 couples, a single lady w/ a male friend, a single mom with a 6yo girl, a mom with a 12 (?) yo Boy Scout with a jealous husband and older son who had other plans and couldn't make it, and my sister and me.
We all enjoyed ourselves despite 2nights and days of rain and mud and found what we needed to make it work as far as privacy.

Each time I attend a group hang, I see more females, and they are enjoying it and spreading the word. Sharing the experience is the best way to spread the hobby. One good night's sleep in a hammock, with coffee and breakfast around a campfire, may change their life.

Charlotte

Treeshadow
04-23-2017, 19:11
I think running events that are specifically for women will help get more on board, and make them feel more comfortable.

I guess start talking to some vendors see if they could arrange or help in some way. Much like REI and LL Bean have instruction nights.

artgirl42
04-23-2017, 19:13
I guess start talking to some vendors see if they could arrange or help in some way. Much like REI and LL Bean have instruction nights.

Good idea! I never thought of doing that.

Treeshadow
04-23-2017, 19:41

Having worked in retail, companies love to target women who most likely are the shoppers in the family. With new fabric and the styles ladies have you noticed a change? When talking to vendors maybe they should ask for ideas of what will appeal to more women?

Karla "with a k"
04-23-2017, 19:43

Thank you for the idea. I'm going to call my local REI store and ask about presenting.

Treeshadow
04-23-2017, 20:08
I think not only the equipment can be covered but also the right clothing, women are cold creatures lol!
If they are warm they will come...:cool::laugh: Especially in the winter around the fire...Wool Is used universally by the bushcraft woodsmen. The woolen anoraks, capes, gloves. Now, having looked there are not that many 100 % wool blanket colors to pick from. DIY?
Other ideas flashing...Knives, size, style, weight.

ccolclou
04-23-2017, 21:20
I started hammocking when my brother and I were gearing up for a week long hike. I hadn't camped in years so we broke out the tent and did a prep night sleeping in the tent at the local state park (I claimed for the dog, but it was really for me too!) It was so uncomfortable I looked into alternatives and found hammocks. Luckily my brother had a hammock too.

I think I'm generally much less worried about the perils of the woods than most women I know, but I'll be honest, if I didn't have someone doing it with me I'd be more on edge in the woods, so for me it's a nice reassurance to be able to hang together, and we look for a site where that can happen. I think the openness of being under a tarp and missing the "walls" of a tent requires a huge adjustment. I suspect that it's not the hammock part of hammock camping that's a drawback to many women, it's the exposure of the tarp and the vulnerability of being "solo" in the sleeping unit.

I had to change my mindset from being "protected" by the tent walls to being able to see the woods, sunrise, sunset, moonlight, dog at my feet, other people in my group as advantages of the openness of the tarp that actually enhanced the purpose of the trip - being able to enjoy the outdoors and the human and canine company!

Cham102
04-24-2017, 07:15
This does seem a little harsh but I will write it anyway.

I am not your leader. I don't speak for any woman but myself. I'm not just a hammock hangar but also an accomplished bushwhacker and bushcrafter. I really don't want to go into the woods with anyone, man, woman or child. I don't want to hear you whine, that you don't feel safe, you have to leave early to meet your boyfriend or do laundry. I don't want to hear your instructions on the proper way to do anything either, I'm out here on a monthly basis and you aren't. I don't want to hear you answer your cellphone, or post on Facebook about what a great time you are having with me. Please don't take a picture of me, I haven't combed my hair in 3 days and I'm filthy. Your politics are probably not my politics, and I don't want to listen to you. I go out into the woods to get away from all that for a couple of days to recharge. If you want to hammock then hammock. If you want to tent, then tent. Heck, don't do either and pay close attention to the weather if you want, sleep out!

jellyfish
04-24-2017, 08:31
Thank you for the idea. I'm going to call my local REI store and ask about presenting.

Let us know how this turns out.

Karla "with a k"
04-24-2017, 08:34

I am not your leader. I don't speak for any woman but myself. I'm not just a hammock hangar but also an accomplished bushwhacker and bushcrafter. I really don't want to go into the woods with anyone, man, woman or child. I don't want to hear you whine, that you don't feel safe, you have to leave early to meet your boyfriend or do laundry. I don't want to hear your instructions on the proper way to do anything either, I'm out here on a monthly basis and you aren't. I don't want to hear you answer your cellphone, or post on Facebook about what a great time you are having with me. Please don't take a picture of me, I haven't combed my hair in 3 days and I'm filthy. Your politics are probably not my politics, and I don't want to listen to you. I go out into the woods to get away from all that for a couple of days to recharge. If you want to hammock then hammock. If you want to tent, then tent. Heck, don't do either and pay close attention to the weather if you want, sleep out!

Hmmmmm, not sure how your post answers the question on how to get more female hammockers.

GemCityHiker
04-24-2017, 12:29
For me it was easy, but my gf keeps talking about her fear that it won't hold her. She's well well below the weight limit, but I think it's a mix or fear that she'll fall and fear of change.

artgirl42
04-24-2017, 12:55
For me it was easy, but my gf keeps talking about her fear that it won't hold her. She's well well below the weight limit, but I think it's a mix or fear that she'll fall and fear of change.

I can understand that fear, but if I set up my own equipment and know what is happening, I find that helps a lot.

cap624
04-24-2017, 13:04
... I think it's a mix or fear that she'll fall and fear of change.

It took me a couple of nights of hammock sleeping to be assured that I wasn't going to launch myself out of the hammock during the middle of the night. I started by sleeping indoors with a hammock stand and I put some pillows underneath in case I did roll out. What helped me through the transition from mattress to hammock was that I was open-minded about it, despite never being in a camping hammock before. I was intrigued and a little anxious, but not fearful. Also, I trusted the people on this forum who said that it does take a little adjustment. The good night's sleep was a great convincer. I've found that when trying something new, baby steps are key, so perhaps afternoon naps to start with? Bottom line, though, you can't get someone to try something new if they don't have the willingness. Maybe lead by example: attraction vs. promotion. I'd love a nickel, though, for all the people who tell me that it's impossible to sleep in a hammock without waking up in pain, despite them not having any experience with hammocks. LOL.

SaraR
04-24-2017, 15:39
Another question is "Is there a need for getting more women into hammocking?" I mean I'm all for helping people discover the joy of the outdoors, but unless you're hoping for more "female-specific" gear (whatever that would be!) why push people? :)

artgirl42
04-24-2017, 15:48
Another question is "Is there a need for getting more women into hammocking?" I mean I'm all for helping people discover the joy of the outdoors, but unless you're hoping for more "female-specific" gear (whatever that would be!) why push people? :)

I think it is just so that when women go on one of the trips like NEHHA, they do not feel like the ratio of men to women is 20:1[emoji5]

Karla "with a k"
04-24-2017, 15:55

If I wasn't pushed into hammocking, I would have never tried it. And now that I know it, I love it and have been hanging every month since. Thanks for the push everybody!

artgirl42
04-24-2017, 15:56
If I wasn't pushed into hammocking, I would have never tried it. And now that I know it, I love it and have been hanging every month since. Thanks for the push everybody!

Good point, I was a skeptic at first too!

Nicola
04-24-2017, 16:15
[QUOTE=artgirl42;1775355]I think it is just so that when women go on one of the trips like NEHHA, they do not feel like the ratio of men to women is 20:1[emoji5]

I completely agree. I just started hammock camping because my 8 year old son wanted to 'sleep in the trees', but my husband isn't a big camper. So I'd love more kid friendly hangs with a better male to female ratio.

tollermama
04-24-2017, 17:47
[QUOTE=artgirl42;1775355]I think it is just so that when women go on one of the trips like NEHHA, they do not feel like the ratio of men to women is 20:1[emoji5]

I completely agree. I just started hammock camping because my 8 year old son wanted to 'sleep in the trees', but my husband isn't a big camper. So I'd love more kid friendly hangs with a better male to female ratio.

Well, just showing up is the start, and then telling your friends about it and having them come to a hang too. My friends and I have been big outdoors people doing multi day wilderness trips since we were in college and almost all of my friends male or female look askance at hanging, partially, I think, because it involves spending more money....Also, they are in pretty good shape and have no pain sleeping on the ground so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

The women who are intrigued with hanging are the next generation.. my friends' kids. Two girls who are in college now are interested and I could see them getting into it esp for backpacking. I hope they do get into it! Hope to see you all at a hang.

jellyfish
04-24-2017, 17:49

I am not sure who your audience is for this.

jellyfish
04-24-2017, 17:51

I'd like some more color options than dark and dreary. I am just loving the new stuff coming from ripstop by the roll. Just think of the possibilities if there was more demand.

Singingcrowsings
04-24-2017, 19:43
I try and get ladies who've never done anything else. While they don't know any different. Lol

I have extra gear: backpacks, hanmocks, insulations, tarps etc.. then take them out camping. Usually a backpacking trip with girls only. Lots of tea or coffee, short easy miles and yummy food. Camping lights really helped make them comfortable at night too.

Last year was the second official girls only trip. Some of those that went the time before helped me teach the new ones. We helped set them up and tuck them in at night. Teaching is the best way to learn of course, so we keep growing as a group. Now finding room for 10 hammocks will be a challenge this year. But we are up for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think if I had extra gear it would make it a LOT easier to get women out. Money is a huge factor for a lot of the women I know.

foulmouthedruffian
04-24-2017, 20:22
I wonder if a number of female campers consider things like changing clothes and monthy hygiene and shy away from hammocks. Tents do afford a lot more privacy.

Also, side note: REI has a bunch of women's classes available. I got an email about it a week ago or so.

Kammok is also hosting a Celebrating Women in the Outdoors event at their Austin headquarters next month that I'm pretty excited about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Karla "with a k"
04-24-2017, 20:28
Let us know how this turns out.

I called my local REI and spoke to the manager. He said they do have a hammocking class on the schedule coming up. I gave him my info and said I'd be happy to help present because I'd love to get more women into hammocking. He said employees must present the session, but I could attend and still speak.

A lot of these sessions aren't at times when I can go. We will see when it is and if I can go.

The manager did say I could make a flyer for our next hammock hang and he'd post it in the store and also the breakroom.

jellyfish
04-24-2017, 21:02
I called my local REI and spoke to the manager. He said they do have a hammocking class on the schedule coming up. I gave him my info and said I'd be happy to help present because I'd love to get more women into hammocking. He said employees must present the session, but I could attend and still speak.

A lot of these sessions aren't at times when I can go. We will see when it is and if I can go.

The manager did say I could make a flyer for our next hammock hang and he'd post it in the store and also the breakroom.

Wouldn't it he cool if their staff came to one of your hangs.

Maceo'sMom
04-25-2017, 03:15
Wouldn't it he cool if their staff came to one of your hangs.

I think it would be great if they came out to get more first-hand experience. I actually went to an outdoor REI hammock presentation, and they had the hammock connected incorrectly. When I pointed out the mistake, the presenter insisted that I was wrong. :eek:

cap624
04-25-2017, 05:12
I'd like some more color options than dark and dreary.

Agreed. Given that I'm a full-time indoor hanger, I bought an ENO teal/yellow/purple hammock simply because I wanted a bright and cheery hammock, to start/end my day on a positive note.

Treeshadow
04-25-2017, 07:03
I think it would be great if they came out to get more first-hand experience. I actually went to an outdoor REI hammock presentation, and they had the hammock connected incorrectly. When I pointed out the mistake, the presenter insisted that I was wrong. :eek:

Hmmm, the last time I went to the REI kayak trip presentation the guy could not really give local info on our creeks and rivers. He said he was asked to do this and apologized for not knowing the area....wow.
I knew a number of people attending and we had more info to share than he did. I wonder if these clinics have to be done to satisfy their corporate office taking into account how many attended and if sales were increased by doing these events for the local community. I worked a while back for Dicks Sporting Goods as the Community Marketing Coordinator. I had to do events, hand out coupons, tally how many coupons went out and came back/revenue increases back to the store by hosting the event. Once a week we had a conference call with all managers to come up with additional profitable programs.

Takahike
04-25-2017, 07:14
As a 57 yr old woman wanting to get back onto A.T. I want out of tent and into hammock. BUT I'm really intimidated with setup, knots, guy lines, ridgelines??? And I have about 3 weeks to get there...

Karla "with a k"
04-25-2017, 07:50
As a 57 yr old woman wanting to get back onto A.T. I want out of tent and into hammock. BUT I'm really intimidated with setup, knots, guy lines, ridgelines??? And I have about 3 weeks to get there...

YOU are in luck!! There is a hammock hang in Wisconsin this weekend!!! It's up in Door County @ Peninsula State Park.

Here's the thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/133874-Wi-gt-Door-County-Hang-Part-2-gt-April-28th-30th

I know the people going and they are great! They can totally help you with EVERYTHING! They are people who got me into hammocking last year and taught me all I know.

I'll also going to private message you and and host for the weekend so you can connect. I hope you can attend or stop by!

jellyfish
04-25-2017, 09:50
YOU are in luck!! There is a hammock hang in Wisconsin this weekend!!! It's up in Door County @ Peninsula State Park.

Here's the thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/133874-Wi-gt-Door-County-Hang-Part-2-gt-April-28th-30th

I know the people going and they are great! They can totally help you with EVERYTHING! They are people who got me into hammocking last year and taught me all I know.

I'll also going to private message you and and host for the weekend so you can connect. I hope you can attend or stop by!

This feels like destiny.

flask_ehrlenmeyer
11-25-2019, 22:12

i guess the difference between you and me is that while i have a lot of skills, i also teach those outdoor skills and i do it in a fancy white hat with sparkles and a lavender bow.

i camp alone and with people in all weathers and seasons, and i invite strangers into my camp for tea and pie.

imma say this out loud for the ladies in the back: do the camping you like. do not be ashamed of how you like your camping. the reason i hammock is because i'm too old to be cold or uncomfortable. you're all welcome in my camp. there's pie.

WhollyHamaca
11-27-2019, 14:07
i guess the difference between you and me is that while i have a lot of skills, i also teach those outdoor skills and i do it in a fancy white hat with sparkles and a lavender bow.

i camp alone and with people in all weathers and seasons, and i invite strangers into my camp for tea and pie.

imma say this out loud for the ladies in the back: do the camping you like. do not be ashamed of how you like your camping. the reason i hammock is because i'm too old to be cold or uncomfortable. you're all welcome in my camp. there's pie.

Yes!!! If you've got it share it when you can, whether it's skills, loaned equipment, encouragement, acknowledgment of a novice's anxieties, a shared meal or coffee/tea and pie. It's amazing to me how much we can achieve with a kind word, a little help, and respectful consideration of others. Go alone or with a friend or a group as you please, colorful or not as you prefer (I sew to have the colors I want on a tight budget). I often think about my own challenges, the folks who have helped and encouraged me, and how experience has made me stronger and more resilient. Kindness, respect, and willingness to share our skills with another woman who wants to learn is the trifecta to get them started and may also lead to a lasting friendship. Besides, even if you prefer to go alone, it feels good to do good.

I've found it's pretty easy to spark interest among women who already hike with a tent and want to try hammock camping, even if it's just to lighten the pack. An indoor DIY hammock set-up is an easy and inexpensive way to allay anxieties about falling or sleep discomfort. If that goes well we can talk about camp set-ups, good meals (a perennial favorite topic, and you can carry more/better food if no tent), staying warm, safe, privacy, etc. If they're still interested we'll do a little guided tour around Hammock Forums.

If they get that far it's a great start. If they live in my area I might invite them to see and try out my set-up. As they learn about and acquire seasonal gear they can practice hammock camping, day or overnight in any season, secluded in the private woods around my house until they feel trail-ready. If they still prefer to pack a tent that's OK, no judgment. Nowadays arthritis and a spine injury have limited my trekking, so I'm now just an every-night hammocker indoors or outside on my property and occasional car-camping, but I have miles and decades of trail memories, alone and with a friend. I've slept indoors in a hammock nearly all my life, and I ditched my tent when I "discovered" outdoor hammock materials and methods. The learning curve was worth the effort. Now I like to encourage other women to get out there and experience the lighter load and IMO greater comfort of hammock camping.

The first step is to get the conversation started, maybe with a couple of pics of your last outing. And it's bound to go better when there's pie!

Bluknu
12-03-2019, 13:42
I think as a human race we can all be prone to excuses. I know change is a very difficult thing for many. For me the choice was simple. The pain of lying on the ground was becoming unbearable and making camping miserable for me. Give up camping (backcountry canoe camping) or FIND A NEW WAY!

So I accidentally stumbled onto a Shug video (thanks Shug) and was led here.

First excuse. Newly single and broke. BUT you want to camp right? So I found some cheap material and made my own hammock. My big splurge, a decent tarp. The rest all make do stuff from equipment I already had.

Second excuse. Privacy. Solution. A BIG tarp. A 4m X 4m gives tons of privacy. It can be configured into a full A frame style shelter and when staked at the second stakeout points at each end can have fully closed ends for full privacy.

Third excuse. Safety. The delusional and misplaced feeling of safety a tent somehow brings. Think of it. You're laying in your tent at night and you hear sounds in your campsite. You can't see what it is so it can't see you and you're safe right? LOL. Well you can close down your big a$$ tarp and be safe in your delusions. Good news is you can be safely out of reach of all the weather Mother Nature can throw at you. Bad news is that bear in camp still knows you're there and he's just waiting for you to be riper. Lol. Or more likely it's a raccoon scavenging your fire pit. Isn't it better to see that you're not about to die? I know I sleep much better after that. Of course the knife under my pillow and the axe and paddle nestled safely under my hammock just in case make me feel better too. :D

All tongue in cheek aside (hopefully some helpful tips were dispersed as well) the two hangs I've been on were all guys. A wonderful group of men whose interests were in sharing experiences, tips, equipment, good food and camaraderie around a warm campfire away from the cares of the world for a few days getaway. EGL GROUP YOU ARE GREAT! Everyone was extremely respectful of everyone else's privacy.

And now for a couple of tips that I hope may be of use for someone. You can now buy small pop up nylon 'johnnies' that may be useful as either a dressing area or place to wash up in. Or a tarp wrapped around a small close set group of trees can provide the same privacy. Also for us backcountry campers who use a thunderbox or 'cat hole' a small tarp stretched between a couple of trees or long stakes pounded into the ground can provide a nice 'wall'.

And now. Keep smiling. Keep camping. Be brave. Don't let the little things stop you from doing what you love.

HAMMOCKS RULE!!!