PDA

View Full Version : Best Rocky Mountain Trails for Hammocking?

Donfish06
03-07-2017, 19:16
I am planning on taking a trip to the Rockies and I have no idea where to start! I know I need trees, and wanted to know if anyone had any experience there?

pgibson
03-07-2017, 19:29
The rockies technically run from Mexico up through Canada. Any more specific details like which state you would like to hit or what sort of things you want to see? Trees would not be a problem for a huge amount of the west...contrary to what some might think.

Kroma
03-07-2017, 19:32
I am planning on taking a trip to the Rockies and I have no idea where to start! I know I need trees, and wanted to know if anyone had any experience there?

Go ahead and go to Lost Creek Wilderness near Colorado Springs if you want to just take a shot in the dark.

https://thetrek.co/lost-creek-wilderness-loop-trail-37-miles-of-secluded-colorado-backpacking/

Donfish06
03-07-2017, 19:33
Sorry, more specifically Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. By the looks of pictures, there's not a plethora of trees. Maybe i'll close this thread and rename a new one with "Colorado" in it.

ringtail-THFKAfood
03-08-2017, 11:50
When? The Park web site lists the average snow free date for all the sites. All the sites are below timberline except for the Boulder Field.

pgibson
03-08-2017, 13:13
Loads of trees in RMNP. There is a lot of above tree line to the park and that's a good deal of what they show but there are so many trails that stay below tree line as well. I thought the west side of the park was nicer than the east side but both have lots of great places to check out. You can't go wrong.

PastTheDirtRoad
03-08-2017, 14:19
If you are looking for a short hike, setup and explore, then Alberta Falls is beautiful

Donfish06
03-08-2017, 16:22
If you are looking for a short hike, setup and explore, then Alberta Falls is beautiful

Is there 4 days worth of exploring around there?

dakotaross
03-08-2017, 16:32
Even at the 10K' Andrews site, there were trees, but its close enough to treeline that they're all pretty small. And you're up pretty high anyway just being in the park, so most are like that anyway. Like most cleared campsites, there typically aren't good options around the pad areas where you're supposed to be, so hanging may require finding the right pair of trees away from the diamond marker and hoping the rangers are good to you (IF they come around). Because of the forces on the typically small trees, I would not run an extended suspension and hang less than 20 degrees just to be over or around the pads.

You should be able to make it work, but there's a good chance you'll find your spots kind of limited.

dakotaross
03-08-2017, 16:34
Is there 4 days worth of exploring around there?

I spent 3 days at the Andrews site and could've spent a week. See the glacier before it goes away.

PastTheDirtRoad
03-08-2017, 16:46
Yeah for sure. The trail carries on further. I just enjoy hanging near waterfalls. It's pretty surreal. If memory serves correct that trail goes about 30 miles.