PDA

View Full Version : Ireland

Rouskof
03-08-2017, 16:33
I am planning a 1 month bike trip in August / September. Probably arriving in Rosslare and then cycling around the country with probably a hike in the mountains somewhere, maybe south west or Connemara.

Do you think I should take my hammock or just stick with a tent?

KeeWayKeno
03-08-2017, 17:10
Just spent three weeks touring North & South last September. As much as it pains me to say it ... take a tent ... & a very good rain suit. Forested areas are few & far between.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Rouskof
03-08-2017, 18:06
Just spent three weeks touring North & South last September. As much as it pains me to say it ... take a tent ... & a very good rain suit. Forested areas are few & far between.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Thanks, that was my first guess...

Redoleary
03-08-2017, 21:19
My recollection of Ireland is vast expanses of fields broken up by rock walls, and nary a tree in sight. Maybe a light weight stand like a Handy Hammock (http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/ultralight_hammock_stand?from_cat=44) or Noground Hammock poles (http://www.tiggzcraftworkz.com/)wouldn't take up too much room on the bike?

tollermama
03-08-2017, 21:49
Definitely take a tent. There were a few places I camped that had trees but not always great configurations, lots of bushes around. Most campsites are more open field like areas. Especially if going along the shore. Nice hiking in Connemara National Park. Kylemore Abby worth going to not far from there.

Rouskof
03-09-2017, 04:23
Definitely take a tent. There were a few places I camped that had trees but not always great configurations, lots of bushes around. Most campsites are more open field like areas. Especially if going along the shore. Nice hiking in Connemara National Park. Kylemore Abby worth going to not far from there.

Great, I'm looking forward to it! Any other worth touring site recommendation welcome.

Rouskof
03-09-2017, 04:25
My recollection of Ireland is vast expanses of fields broken up by rock walls, and nary a tree in sight. Maybe a light weight stand like a Handy Hammock (http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/ultralight_hammock_stand?from_cat=44) or Noground Hammock poles (http://www.tiggzcraftworkz.com/)wouldn't take up too much room on the bike?

This setup is definitely interesting. I wonder if it would sustain the winds of Ireland, though.

hutzelbein
03-09-2017, 05:34
A Handy Hammock stand might work in Ireland. I don't think the wind will be a problem; rocky ground (or pebbles in the ground) has been my biggest problem with the HH stand. Also, it's a PITA to set up, and I'm not sure how well it works with longer hammocks. If I were to do this trip, I'd probably grumble a lot but take a tent.

Where are you planning to go? I have lived in Ireland for a couple of years and traveled all over the island. That's why I would be too scared to cycle there :) The roads are narrow and the drivers drive like the devil. I switched to hill-walking after a couple of cycle tours.

Rouskof
03-09-2017, 17:05
A Handy Hammock stand might work in Ireland. I don't think the wind will be a problem; rocky ground (or pebbles in the ground) has been my biggest problem with the HH stand. Also, it's a PITA to set up, and I'm not sure how well it works with longer hammocks. If I were to do this trip, I'd probably grumble a lot but take a tent.

Where are you planning to go? I have lived in Ireland for a couple of years and traveled all over the island. That's why I would be too scared to cycle there :) The roads are narrow and the drivers drive like the devil. I switched to hill-walking after a couple of cycle tours.

My plan is actually limited to what's in my first post at the moment. I have no experience of the island, I just saw there are very few inhabitants there, so I didn't expect it would be dangerous to cycle ! Any advice or recommendation is welcome.

paulw
03-09-2017, 17:25
I am from bushmills n.ireland originally ,(Canada now ) right up on the north coast ,not a lot of trees around I am afraid,most forest areas are either national trust ,or private estates ( lord and ladies ) ,but if you do find a smaller farm with trees you ,if you are courteous and ask the farmer ,9/outa 10 times they would probably let you hang /pitch you r gear on there land ,but more so away from the tourist area's, i used to go down to southern Ireland to fish quite a lot on my motor bike and tent gear,and that,s what I did ,and that was back in the day when the troubles when in there prime ,being from the north I thought I would of had a hard time but they are super nice people, if it was me I would probably take a small backpacking tent than a hammock ,much better chance of getting In somewhere. p.s. be very careful on the roads ,some are not much wider than a country lane ,I know you will have a fantastic time

skater
03-09-2017, 19:39
I guess I will have to give up my dream to tour Ireland.

tollermama
03-09-2017, 20:10
My plan is actually limited to what's in my first post at the moment. I have no experience of the island, I just saw there are very few inhabitants there, so I didn't expect it would be dangerous to cycle ! Any advice or recommendation is welcome.

Just know that people drive fast, the lanes are narrow and twisty and the lovely green vegetation you see on the sides of the road are not that cushy they cover rock walls which are about one inch below the leafy surface 99% of the time. :D

hutzelbein
03-10-2017, 05:12
I guess I will have to give up my dream to tour Ireland.

You don't necessarily have to. But if you value your health and life, do some planning ahead. Since I didn't cycle a lot in the countryside, I'm not familiar with what's on offer in that respect. Maybe there are some safer areas, and maybe there are even true cycle ways. But it's safe to say that there are many countries that are better suited for cycle tours than Ireland.

paulw
03-10-2017, 09:19
please don't give up on your dream trip ,you will regret it ,Ireland is absolutely stunning for scenery and historical sites ,and its people are probably 1 of the most friendly people on the planet ,roads are dangerous anywhere you go ,just if you are aware of it before you arrive you it wont be such a shock as to how narrow country roads are ,it is actually part of its charm, it is not unusual to be on a country road and you will think that you are heading into someone's farm yard but the road just goes right through it ,the 1st time i took my wife back home ( she is Canadian ) she thought on more than 1 occasion we where driving into someones yard

Rouskof
03-17-2017, 13:22
Ireland is not in Canada !

michigandave
03-17-2017, 13:45
Ireland is not in Canada, you ...... !
True, but I'm sure there are many Canadians from Ireland. Maybe the mods had St. Patrick's Day on their mind when they moved the thread.[emoji4]

Rouskof
03-17-2017, 13:59
Yeah, let's redesign the planet !! There are not many people left in Ireland, anyway.

paulw
03-17-2017, 17:32
Yeah, let's redesign the planet !! There are not many people left in Ireland, anyway.

you are very mistaken there is a boat load of tourist through out the summer ,lots from Europe ,that drive on the opposites side of the road ,its is them I would watch out for ,and if you go over to Ireland with that attitude good luck too you ,

paulw
03-17-2017, 17:34
Ireland is not in Canada, you morons !

a bit rude do you not think so ?

Rouskof
03-17-2017, 20:11
Sorry if I offended you, take it at the 4th degree, really

Rouskof
05-21-2017, 17:11
Anyone wishing to consider Ireland is not in Canada, out here ?

ChrisJHC
05-22-2017, 01:32
a bit rude do you not think so ?

Hey, Paul, Rouskof is referring to the fact that this thread has ended up in the "Canada" sub-forum.

I also assume English is not his first language (but still way better than my French!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rouskof
05-22-2017, 01:43
You assume correctly, haha. I am amused at this (Ireland in Canada). Using forum threads instead of wars to annex territories would make politics less dangerous for the people.

paulw
05-22-2017, 18:48
Hey, Paul, Rouskof is referring to the fact that this thread has ended up in the "Canada" sub-forum.

I also assume English is not his first language (but still way better than my French!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

got it ,never realized what he was talking about was the thread ( Canada ) something got lost along the way in his or mine translation,

my bad ,apologies to rouskof

Rouskof
05-24-2017, 01:46
got it ,never realized what he was talking about was the thread ( Canada ) something got lost along the way in his or mine translation,

my bad ,apologies to rouskof

No worries, I am used at people not getting my jokes in English. Can't help saying them, though. So, everytime, I am not expecting great results. Also, I don't take too many precautions when I speak, so I often end up sounding aggressive, in French as well. I just live with that.

Just noticing the admins are pretty stubborn, haha : )))