PDA

View Full Version : ridge line material

mobiltoy
06-22-2007, 19:30
Can you folks give up your source for ridgeline material, size, working load and supplier? Thanks, Bill

Coffee
06-22-2007, 23:49
All you need is something that does not stretch. I use armsteel 7/64" spectra. The same stuff that I use on my suspension. I had a lot of it laying around anyways.

I think that as long as it holds 200 lbs or so, you will be fine. I would test this though.

slowhike
06-23-2007, 08:54
i think a lot of people use the same line they are using on their tarp tie outs, like the orange spectra line from speer hammocks for example.
but it may depend on how much stress you'll be putting on it.
i kinda liked the way ed speer used to do his ridge line (before henesy started harassing him about it). it was just tied to the hammock support on one end, but the other end was a loop that was adjustable with a sliding hitch.
that way you could experiment w/ the sag but it would stay where you decided to leave it.

angrysparrow
06-23-2007, 10:58
I agree that it's easy enough to just use some extra line you might have around for a ridegeline, provided that it is strong enough.

But, if you are looking for something specific to use for a ridgeline, then you could do worse than this (http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d279000/e276812.asp). It's very light, has a small diameter of 3mm, has a vectrus core tensile rating of 653 lbs, and it's polyester sleeve should knot well. Seems ideal to me.

mobiltoy
06-24-2007, 12:00
Thanks for the help. I am still making hammmocks like crazy. I have given 3 away so far to family and friends. I have always made my own hunting and camping gear but this is by far the funest project to date for not only me but the folks around me. Thanks again for all the help. Bill

TeeDee
06-24-2007, 18:35
... ridge line (before henesy started harassing him about it). it ...

Interesting choice of words.

Describing patent enforcement as harassment. :rolleyes:

You do like to play fast and loose with the reputations of other people.

slowhike
06-24-2007, 21:13
Interesting choice of words.

Describing patent enforcement as harassment. :rolleyes:

You do like to play fast and loose with the reputations of other people.

i'll tell you just what i've said before. even it henesy could win his point in a court of law that he is the only one allowed to use any kind of a ridge line on a hammock because of his patent, his doing so is in no way helping the desire to develop hammock designs. he's controlling the hammock market & creativity.
i believe henesy is by far the largest seller of backpacking hammocks in the world & the few small hammock makers that he has been talking to about his patents aren't making a dent in his sales... at least not yet.
as far as henesy's reputation as a business man, yeah, i've pretty much lost respect for the man just to put it bluntly.
and i know you're at no loss for words in trying to convince people of your point, so why don't you explain in no uncertain terms what you mean by "you like to play fast and loose with the reputations of other people". ...tim

Cannibal
06-25-2007, 08:12
I'm no fan of TH, but I do like his product and own one. In a way, I think him being such an *** to the people who support him has helped the industry. Take the Warbonnet for example. It uses no ridge line at all, but the way it is cut it still "sets" the sag. I've set it up about 10 or 12 times now and each time my sag is within an inch or so of last time.

I think this is a good example of overcoming a design challenge. I do think that TH's words and actions will come back to bite him, but you do have to give him props for opening up the field. The fact that he so strongly defends his idea of a patent is already starting to make the creative juices flow with all the designers out there. I think a few years from now, TH will be a non-issue.

funbun
06-25-2007, 10:54
I'm no fan of TH, but I do like his product and own one. In a way, I think him being such an *** to the people who support him has helped the industry. Take the Warbonnet for example. It uses no ridge line at all, but the way it is cut it still "sets" the sag. I've set it up about 10 or 12 times now and each time my sag is within an inch or so of last time.

I think this is a good example of overcoming a design challenge. I do think that TH's words and actions will come back to bite him, but you do have to give him props for opening up the field. The fact that he so strongly defends his idea of a patent is already starting to make the creative juices flow with all the designers out there. I think a few years from now, TH will be a non-issue.

That's an interesting point. If JRB Mt Bridge Hammock works they could really give TH a run for his money. Just from the DIY side, I like the Bridge Hammock concept much better than the more traditional Mayan hammock concept.

Just Jeff
06-25-2007, 14:42
Can we please move the HH stuff back to the HH thread and leave this one to its original topic? Or even to PMs.

Cannibal
06-25-2007, 14:44
Can we please move the HH stuff back to the HH thread and leave this one to it's original topic? Or even to PMs.

Good call, sorry for my part.:o

schrochem
06-28-2007, 19:56
any potential problems with just using triptease?

scott

blackbishop351
06-28-2007, 23:12

scott

You need something rated to ~ 200 lbs. I'm not sure if the Kelty stuff is rated, or what that rating might be.

headchange4u
06-29-2007, 07:08

scott

I use 2.5mm Glo Cord (climbing rope) from my local outfitters on most of my ridge lines. It is rated at about 400-500 lbs I think. I have never seen Kelty's TripTease line so I can't really make a comparison.

I like having reflective line as a ridge line so it's easier to find my hammock in the dark. I also use reflective line in my tarp tensioners (http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTarpTensioner2.html) for the same reason.

I think you can even seem my ridge line "glowing" if you look at my avatar.
EDIT:
You can't really see it in my avatar but you can see it in this bigger pic (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/RRG/?action=view&current=RRG061607012.jpg).

schrochem
06-29-2007, 10:39
Thanks guys.
I found from the bpl site that it's rated at 188
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aircore_1_spectra_cord.html
I have been using it as my tarp tieouts on my maccat without much of an issue.
I think I think I'll give it a try.

Scott

blackbishop351
06-29-2007, 11:32
By all means give it a shot...188 lbs. might be enough. Just be aware that, under normal circumstances, a ridgeline will have a lot more tension on it than your tarp lines.

Bulldog
06-29-2007, 11:41
I've been using 3mm cord I found in REI. I think it has a little stretch, but not so much that ive noticed. I cant say how it does over the long term, as I have just begun to use it on my ENO single rest.

blackbishop351
06-29-2007, 11:48
I've been using 3mm cord I found in REI. I think it has a little stretch, but not so much that ive noticed. I cant say how it does over the long term, as I have just begun to use it on my ENO single rest.

Is that a climbing-rated cord? Low-stretch? Accessory cord? Just wondering...

wallace
06-29-2007, 12:43
I just added the ring buckle support to my HH ultralight. Before I did that, I ran a 2mm secondary ridge line for my tarp using stuff I got from REI. I would attach the vertical part of the HH tarp to the ridgeline and then tension it horizontally with the prussick knots on the actual hammoch spectra cord. It was kind of awkward but it worked. Now with the ring suspension, I lost the ability to use the prussicks on the hammock spectra to position and tension the tarp horizontally. Since I'm using the original HH tarp which has to be positioned just right during a storm, I think I want to keep the prussick arragement, ( as opposed to using 2 figure 9's for example) but move it up the secondary ridge line. I cut off a piece of the 2mm cord and experimented with a prussick. Having the prussick and the ridge line both made from 2mm cord does not result in an effective knot. i.e. it slips. I'm thinking of replacing the 2mm ridge with a 5 or 5 mm cord and using some of the 2mm for the prussick. Here are my questions:

1. Does anyone have a suggestion/supplier/ part number for lightweight cord to use for the ridge line that will provide adequate friction for the prussick to be effective?

2. Is there a better way of hanging the stock HH tarp and still be able to fine tune the horizontal positioning?

blackbishop351
06-29-2007, 12:53
1. A prusik will work as long as there's an adequate size difference between the two cords. Sounds like your sizes are too close together.

2. Tying directly to the trees is really the better way to go, IMO. You don't have to use Figure 9's, but they definitely make adjustment easier. If you're really worried about precise adjustment due to the small stock tarp, get/make a bigger tarp! Problem solved! :p

Bulldog
06-29-2007, 14:12
Is that a climbing-rated cord? Low-stretch? Accessory cord? Just wondering...

I know its tensile strength is 300 lbs, and I found it in the climbing section. There doesn't seem to be to much creep in the cord. I don't know if it's considered climbing grade or not, but I do know that to find it online at REI's site, it is listed under ***. cord. Although it seems to work so far.

blackbishop351
06-29-2007, 15:00
I know its tensile strength is 300 lbs, and I found it in the climbing section. There doesn't seem to be to much creep in the cord. I don't know if it's considered climbing grade or not, but I do know that to find it online at REI's site, it is listed under ***. cord. Although it seems to work so far.

Cool...what was the price on it?

TeeDee
06-29-2007, 20:08
1. Does anyone have a suggestion/supplier/ part number for lightweight cord to use for the ridge line that will provide adequate friction for the prussick to be effective?

The general rule I was taught was that the Prussik cord should not exceed 1/2 the diameter of the main rope. Being that stringent is probably not needed for the tarp ridge line and Prussik though. I use the 2.8 mm Spyderline for the tarp ridge line and either the BPL dyneema guy line cord or the Dacron guy line cord from Mountain Laurel Designs. The MLD cord is a lot cheaper. Either work real well for the Prussiks on the Spyder line. The Spyder line is way over kill for the ridge line from a strength standpoint, but it is so light that it can also serve as emergency cord. I now obtain my Spyder Line from
West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomePageView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001). Best price either by the foot or spool. They sell 75 foot spools here (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/248917/377%20710/0/spyder%20line%20spool/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=spyder%20line%20spool&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=spyder%20line%20spool&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=2&subdeptNum=490&classNum=12948).
There's a store local to me and so I can save a lot on shipping also.

2. Is there a better way of hanging the stock HH tarp and still be able to fine tune the horizontal positioning?

For my use, the best way I have found for hanging any tarp is essentially what you are doing. Use a ridge line cord from tree to tree and Prussiks to position and tension.

Bulldog
06-30-2007, 21:55
The BlueWater 3mm utility cord is $6.95 for 50 ft. here's the link.http://www.rei.com/product/729594?vcat (http://www.rei.com/product/729594?vcat=REI_SEARCH)

Just Jeff
06-30-2007, 22:20
I used the BPL Air Core 2 for my ridgelines for a while...it held fine, but it's so thin that it abraded the hammock supports (BPL Air Core Plus at the time). I was worried that if I kept using it, it would cut through the hammock support, so I stopped using it and just switched to some Air Core Plus I had that was about the right length.

I'd skip the Air Core 1 or 2 for something a little easier on the supports.

schrochem
07-01-2007, 12:59
The BlueWater 3mm utility cord is $6.95 for 50 ft. here's the link.http://www.rei.com/product/729594?vcat (http://www.rei.com/product/729594?vcat=REI_SEARCH)

bought some of this today
there are specs on the package
400 lbs tensile strength
7g per meter

Bulldog
07-01-2007, 14:55
Okay, 400 lbs test. its been a while and the website doesn't specifiy the tensile. Thanks for clarifing

Bug-Bait
07-01-2007, 17:16
I used the BPL Air Core 2 for my ridgelines for a while...it held fine, but it's so thin that it abraded the hammock supports (BPL Air Core Plus at the time). I was worried that if I kept using it, it would cut through the hammock support, so I stopped using it and just switched to some Air Core Plus I had that was about the right length.

I'd skip the Air Core 1 or 2 for something a little easier on the supports.

I just ordered 3.8 mm Spyderline from APS. Can I use that for both a ridgeline and connecting the ring buckles to the hammock without any problems?

TeeDee
07-01-2007, 19:32
I just ordered 3.8 mm Spyderline from APS. Can I use that for both a ridgeline and connecting the ring buckles to the hammock without any problems?

I use 2.8 mm Spyderline for the suspension. Haven't had any problems with it yet.

funbun
07-01-2007, 19:58
I use 2.8 mm Spyderline for the suspension. Haven't had any problems with it yet.

Biggest problem I've had with 2.8mm is that the knots get so tight I almost have to cut them off.

blackbishop351
07-02-2007, 01:05
A smallish nail set works wonders on those tight knots. The end is blunt so there's not much risk of damaging the cord, and they're forged and hardened to drive nails so they don't bend easily. I've gotten quite a few knots out of my HH spectra with a nail set, and I can't really imagine a worse cord to try and loosen.

funbun
07-02-2007, 08:05
A smallish nail set works wonders on those tight knots. The end is blunt so there's not much risk of damaging the cord, and they're forged and hardened to drive nails so they don't bend easily. I've gotten quite a few knots out of my HH spectra with a nail set, and I can't really imagine a worse cord to try and loosen.

Nail set, you mean like nails from a hardware store?

blackbishop351
07-02-2007, 08:10
Nail set, you mean like nails from a hardware store?

I mean the little spike-like gizmo that's designed to recess the heads of finish nails and such.

funbun
07-02-2007, 08:17
I mean the little spike-like gizmo that's designed to recess the heads of finish nails and such.

Ahh, I know what you're talking about.

CoyoteWhips
07-03-2007, 11:01

Sound easier to find at the local hardware store than a marlinspike (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlinspike) -- at least if you don't live in a lobster town!

TeeDee
07-03-2007, 20:56
If you have a knife with one of those blades for filing your finger nails, the newer ones have a little curved point on the end for cleaning under the finger nails.

That curved point works great as a marlin spike in a pinch. You have to be careful since it is not rounded like a true marlin spike is, but when the knot is really tight, that curved point can be carefully worked into the knot and work it loose. If you're already carrying the knife anyway, you always have it when you need it.

blackbishop351
07-03-2007, 22:18
If you have a knife with one of those blades for filing your finger nails, the newer ones have a little curved point on the end for cleaning under the finger nails.

That curved point works great as a marlin spike in a pinch. You have to be careful since it is not rounded like a true marlin spike is, but when the knot is really tight, that curved point can be carefully worked into the knot and work it loose. If you're already carrying the knife anyway, you always have it when you need it.

Along the same idea, my old trusty swiss army knife has a punch/awl bit that works great for loosening knots. Also have to be careful with that one, though, because it's pretty pointed.