PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested....

opie
01-13-2010, 19:57
In a tensioner made out of tubing like Thera Band......

But one that is not affected by cold?

This would be for guy lines....

sclittlefield
01-13-2010, 21:17
Yup yup. Mhmmm mhmmmm.

opie
01-13-2010, 21:31
Its looking promising sc.

I took a 6" piece of it and stretched it to around 24" and it didnt break. IN FACT, I think it improved its stretchyness. I was able to get the force up just over 4 pounds.

ref103
01-13-2010, 21:33
sounds good.

sclittlefield
01-13-2010, 21:39
I think 4lbs is actually pretty ideal for guy lines. It doesn't sound like much, but I bet you'll find it's more than you think.

SmokeBait
01-13-2010, 22:18
Definitely interested. I camp quite a bit in the winter months and would like to put something on the Winter Dream I have on order. Was going to (not by choice) got the shock cord route. Like the looks and compactness of the Theraband system but need them to be able to work in the cold and windy days we have here.

stumo

opie
01-13-2010, 22:32
Well... stumo... You are in luck.

Heres what I did.

I mocked up 2 guy lines and stretched them out on a length of wooden dowel..

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/opie0074/P1010005.jpg

Then dialed the freezer down...

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/opie0074/P1010006.jpg

And placed the test stick in the freezer overnight.

Got up this AM and pulled it out and as quickly as I could, pulled both lines off the dowel. The Thera Band line stayed stretched out for about 4 seconds, then wound itself up into a snake like thing...

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/opie0074/P1010008.jpg

And about 5 seconds later looked like this...

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/opie0074/P1010009.jpg

After which time it regained its elastic properties.

All the while, the one with the Silicon tubing returned immediately to its relaxed position and retained its elastic qualities just like before I put it in.

Some specs...

SilconŽ Silicone Tubing
The most outstanding property of SilconŽ is its resistance to temperature extremes. These, plus its good electrical properties coupled with the ability to self-extinguish, makes SilconŽ an excellent choice for appliance and computer applications. Peroxide-cured SilconŽ contains no sulphur or other acid-producing chemicals, thereby eliminating the possibility of staining, corroding, or deteriorating other materials it contacts. It is extremely resistant to ozone and U.V. over long time periods. Care is recommended in the selection of fittings and clamps for SilconŽ as sharp barbs or unlined metal clamps could tear into the wall and possibly cause a failure. SilconŽ is not recommended for implantable or in-body uses or for continuous steam applications. SilconŽ may be low pressure steam sterilized in-line or autoclaved at up to 250°F in a normal autoclaving cycle. However, if exposed to repeated steam sterilization or long-term high temperature or pressure, silicone will eventually relax and become gummy. It should then be replaced. Translucent natural color for visual contact with the flow. Resilient, stretchable, and resistant to compression set. Odorless, tasteless, and inert. Good electrical and weatherability properties — resists U.V., ozone, gases, and moisture. Not for use with fuels. Listed by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF 51). Temperature range -100° F to 500° F. Meets FDA standards. Not for use with fuels. SilconŽ is a registered trademark of NewAgeŽ Industries

I have a new type of zip tie coming to try out because the traditional tie I think would eventually create a failure in the tubing.

tlbj6142
01-14-2010, 07:55
I have a new type of zip tie coming to try out because the traditional tie I think would eventually create a failure in the tubing.Why not just larkshead the ends of the tubing onto the cord just above/below the knots? You just need to put a small hole in the side the tubing and then turn it over on itself. That's how the pouch on a sling-shot is attached to the tubing. That's how I have the one end of my sling-shot tie-outs attached to my HH fly.

Here's a link (with photos) (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3859) I posted years ago on whiteblaze.

trigger hurt
01-14-2010, 08:44
I'd be interested in a set of eight for my WD v2. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get a good tight pitch when I've got a steep pitch for foul weather mode. Using a taught-line hitch is fine for a less steep pitch, but I can't get the right amount of tension on the line with only a few inches of line to work with.

tlbj6142
01-14-2010, 10:52
I can't get the right amount of tension on the line with only a few inches of line to work with.You could stake it right to the ground (place the stake right through the tarp's tie-out). Though that doesn't give you ability to use tensioners. And/or have a few short loops of tubing on hand to use for "close to the ground" tensioners (larks head the tubing through the tarp's tie-out and run your stake through the loop, position the stake in such a way to generate some tension on the tubing).

trigger hurt
01-14-2010, 11:07
You could stake it right to the ground (place the stake right through the tarp's tie-out). Though that doesn't give you ability to use tensioners. And/or have a few short loops of tubing on hand to use for "close to the ground" tensioners (larks head the tubing through the tarp's tie-out and run your stake through the loop, position the stake in such a way to generate some tension on the tubing).

I don't think I want to trust running a stake through a loop in a piece of tubing. If I can manage to get out this weekend, I'm going to give using 3/16'' shock cord cut to 2ft lengths a try.

Cogneato
01-14-2010, 11:45
Using a taught-line hitch is fine for a less steep pitch.

I always use the taught-line hitch to tie down my tarp. It's the best knot to use. It has never failed me. I thought about going shockcords, and I still might, but I like tying knots. Makes me feel more "survivorish" about setting up my tarp.

tlbj6142
01-14-2010, 12:02
I don't think I want to trust running a stake through a loop in a piece of tubing.Why not? You are doing the same thing with tarp tensioners.

bigbamaguy
01-14-2010, 12:45
Opie:
I too would be/am interested in a set of 8 for my BWDD WT.

trigger hurt
01-14-2010, 16:10
Why not? You are doing the same thing with tarp tensioners.

tarp tensioners made of tubing and cordage, yes.

Tying a loop in a short piece of tubing then poking a stake through that loop, no.

are we talking about the same thing?

*scratches head*

opie
01-14-2010, 16:17
I'd be interested in a set of eight for my WD v2. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get a good tight pitch when I've got a steep pitch for foul weather mode. Using a taught-line hitch is fine for a less steep pitch, but I can't get the right amount of tension on the line with only a few inches of line to work with.

I think your best bet for foul weather pitching would be just the tensioner. 6 or 7 inches of tubing with the rope and loops on either end. Run it through your tarps D-ring and then hook both loops to your ground point.

Imagine this....

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/opie0074/P1010010.jpg

Is your tensioner. The tubing would go from loop to loop. The D-ring would be attached to your tarp and the loops would go over your stake. Much like the MYOG tensioners.

Or do as tlbj suggested, just put the stake right through the tarp D-ring.

I can make up some tensioners if you interested, but a full guy line wont give you "to the ground" performance.

EDIT: Or just use a loop of shock cord. Larks head that to your D-ring and put the end over a stake.

opie
01-14-2010, 16:20
Opie:
I too would be/am interested in a set of 8 for my BWDD WT.

When youre ready, let me know. You can order them through my site or we can seal the deal here.

Actually.. Hold off for a bit... I may go ahead and introduce the new version....

opie
01-14-2010, 16:24
Why not just larkshead the ends of the tubing onto the cord just above/below the knots? You just need to put a small hole in the side the tubing and then turn it over on itself. That's how the pouch on a sling-shot is attached to the tubing. That's how I have the one end of my sling-shot tie-outs attached to my HH fly.

Here's a link (with photos) (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3859) I posted years ago on whiteblaze.

I think that would work well with the latex tubing... But the silicone, if I am understanding it right, would tear if you introduce a hole into it.

tomsawyer222
01-14-2010, 16:53
the tensioners are good for the sil tarps but if you have cuben it does not stretch under snow or ice. Not rain for that matter the wind can blow it in a little if it is really strong but it springs back to normal right after Also making sure you use some sort of spectra cordage will cut down on the stretch there

I am not sure of spinn texx maybe some one with a spinn tarp can say but i dont think it is supposed too either.

sclittlefield
01-14-2010, 17:00
Both Cuben and Spinn are, for all intents and purposes, no-stretch. There is an ample amount of bias-stability built into Spinn which keeps it in place overnight.

It's the nylons that need the tensioners, I wouldn't bother with the other two.

opie
01-14-2010, 17:05
the tensioners are good for the sil tarps but if you have cuben it does not stretch under snow or ice. Not rain for that matter the wind can blow it in a little if it is really strong but it springs back to normal right after Also making sure you use some sort of spectra cordage will cut down on the stretch there

I am not sure of spinn texx maybe some one with a spinn tarp can say but i dont think it is supposed too either.

Yep.. ....