PDA

View Full Version : Structural ridgeline on an ENO

Nest
06-23-2007, 02:20
While on a 2 week trip recently, I set up a structural ridgeline on my ENO. Didn't do a very good job of it since it was done with supplies on hand though. I've made a better one, and figured I would post it to give others ideas. The ridgeling is made form 3mm Samson line from APS rated at 2000 lbs. breaking strength. I cut the line a foot longer than where I wanted my hammock to attach on each end. Then on each end I tied a bowline knot with my rings, for the ring buckle support, in the loops. About an inch in from the bowline knot I tied an alpine knot. This loop is where I attach my hammock. I have Camp nano carabiners coming in the mail. I will clip them to the stock ENO line on the hammock, and attach them to the alpine knots. This way I can easily remove the hammock to wash it, or hang it without a ridgeline if I want. Never have to untie a knot or anything.

I went with the 2000 lbs. line because a bowline weakens the line by almost 50%. That gives me atleast 1000 lbs. strength. It may be a little overkill, but since my straps for the ring buckle support are 3500 lbs. test, and the descending rings are 16Kn, I didn't want the line to be a major weak link. Will put up pictures when my carabiners come in and I get everything hung up, but the drawing shows where everything is. The women in the drawing gives you an idea of how this idea may also attract ladies. Of course until the carabiners come in and everything is tested, it's all hypothetical.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1086&c=4

Cannibal
06-23-2007, 02:31
The women in the drawing gives you an idea of how this idea may also attract ladies

I hope that's a DoubleNest you've got!:D

funbun
06-23-2007, 14:41
I went with the 2000 lbs. line because a bowline weakens the line by almost 50%. That gives me atleast 1000 lbs. strength. It may be a little overkill, but since my straps for the ring buckle support are 3500 lbs. test, and the descending rings are 16Kn, I didn't want the line to be a major weak link. Will put up pictures when my carabiners come in and I get everything hung up, but the drawing shows where everything is. The women in the drawing gives you an idea of how this idea may also attract ladies. Of course until the carabiners come in and everything is tested, it's all hypothetical.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1086&c=4

You can use 275 lbs line and be just fine. I don't think the forces on the ridgeline are anywhere near the forces on the main supports.

But your ridgeline is a little different.

stoikurt
06-23-2007, 15:01
His ridge line is also the main support so it needs to be as strong as support lines or straps should be.

funbun
06-23-2007, 15:43
Yeah, I see. I bet that would be a great solution for someone looking or a hammock chair.

Nest
06-23-2007, 21:15
His ridge line is also the main support so it needs to be as strong as support lines or straps should be.

That's why I thought I would need the high test line. I always see people on here saying a ridgeline only needs to be rated for a couple hundred pounds, but I didn't know if they are directly connected to the suspension like mine is. I figure 2000 lbs. weakened with a bowline will still be plenty strong for me.

Unfortunately, it is just a singlenest. I will have to come up with a plan to handle the hypothetical swarm of women awed by my ingenuity.

Shadowmoss
06-23-2007, 21:56
Regarding handling the (hypothetical) swarm of women, don't forget that dynamic load is much higher than static load on the suspension. Don't want to be going bouncy-bouncy-thud. I have pretty much figured out that there's no bouncy-bouncy to be done in a hammock. I would like to hear evidence (that someone heard from a friend, obviously) to the contrary.

Nest
06-23-2007, 23:06
Regarding handling the (hypothetical) swarm of women, don't forget that dynamic load is much higher than static load on the suspension. Don't want to be going bouncy-bouncy-thud. I have pretty much figured out that there's no bouncy-bouncy to be done in a hammock. I would like to hear evidence (that someone heard from a friend, obviously) to the contrary.

Hmmm... load rated bungee cord for your suspension. The same bungee used in commercial bungee jumping.

Hooch
06-24-2007, 01:58
I have pretty much figured out that there's no bouncy-bouncy to be done in a hammock. I would like to hear evidence (that someone heard from a friend, obviously) to the contrary.Bouncy-bouncy? :p Ok, anyone want to start a poll on that one? :eek:

Shadowmoss
06-24-2007, 07:54
Hmmm. A double nest suspended with bungee cord. That sounds like fun. :) Might need safety harnesses to keep from bouncing out of the hammock, depending...

*Shadowmoss starts designing her first home-made hammock*

funbun
06-24-2007, 09:06
That's why I thought I would need the high test line. I always see people on here saying a ridgeline only needs to be rated for a couple hundred pounds, but I didn't know if they are directly connected to the suspension like mine is. I figure 2000 lbs. weakened with a bowline will still be plenty strong for me.

Unfortunately, it is just a singlenest. I will have to come up with a plan to handle the hypothetical swarm of women awed by my ingenuity.

I think if you double the line up, you could double the rating.

headchange4u
06-24-2007, 09:11
Bouncy-bouncy? :p Ok, anyone want to start a poll on that one? :eek:

Huhhuha ahuhuhuh, you said poll..... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/beavis.jpg

Bug-Bait
06-24-2007, 10:13

Shadowmoss...you have a way with words :^) You must have been an English Major lol

Coffee
06-24-2007, 11:38
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/8/5/drawing.bmp

Ahh every hammockers dream.

Cannibal
06-25-2007, 08:03
Where is the demo going to be set-up? Be sure to include pics.:D

NCPatrick
06-25-2007, 08:43
Waiting for you to include the lasers on their heads.

gumby
06-25-2007, 10:03
At least you won't bang your head on the headboard.

Bouncy-bouncy, kind of like a waterbed with no water. Hmmm:)

Nest
06-25-2007, 20:23
It's going to be a couple of weeks before I can go out and set it up. No trees where I live to hang from. I will definately bring a camera, just in case. I was waiting for HE to put lasers on the girls' heads in my dramatization drawing.

Coffee
06-26-2007, 00:05
Sorry to disappoint everyone.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/drawingUpgrade.bmp

slowhike
06-26-2007, 05:15
Sorry to disappoint everyone.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/drawingUpgrade.bmp

i see the lasers on their heads, but is that a tv in your lap?

Shadowmoss
06-26-2007, 06:59
It looks like a cup of coffee. Although I'm thinking that a cup of hot coffee in that situation doesn't look very ummm, safe, either.

Then again, a laser on a woman's head is living dangeriously to begin with. And don't forget to allow for the extra weight of the cup of coffee and the lasers when spec'ing the weight limits. The DYMANIC weight.

bouncy-bouncy

NCPatrick
06-26-2007, 07:02
Looks like a beer mug to me...

Hooch
06-26-2007, 07:09
Huhhuha ahuhuhuh, you said poll..... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/beavis.jpg
But first I said Bouncy-bouncy.

Hooch
06-26-2007, 07:14
Hmmm. A double nest suspended with bungee cord. That sounds like fun. :) Might need safety harnesses to keep from bouncing out of the hammock, depending...

*Shadowmoss starts designing her first home-made hammock* I have an extra DoubleNest laying around. :D It'd probably take industrial bungee/stretch cord, like the kind they use in commercial bungee jumping operations.

At least you won't bang your head on the headboard.

Talk about a major advantage!

Coffee
06-26-2007, 11:13
Looks like a beer mug to me...

I thought the foamy goodness was a dead giveaway.:eek:

Shadowmoss
06-26-2007, 18:32
Well, you guys see a beer mug and women, I see a coffee mug and substitute males in the picture. HYOH (Hang Your Own Hammock)

Coffee
06-26-2007, 22:00
Well, you guys see a beer mug and women, I see a coffee mug and substitute males in the picture. HYOH (Hang Your Own Hammock)

Hey whatever hangs your hammock. Feel free to try your hands at MS Paint.

Nest
06-27-2007, 19:21
Hey whatever hangs your hammock. Feel free to try your hands at MS Paint.

Yeah, and do it with a laptop touch mouse pad thingy. Not easy.