PDA

View Full Version : Getting up in the night -- pee more often while hammock sleeping?

P-Dub
03-19-2017, 09:54
There's a thread in General Hammock Camping about urinating more often at night while sleeping in hammocks that seems dominated by the male experience. I'm wondering whether you-all feel you have to urinate more often when hammock sleeping compared to sleeping in a bed, and how you handle those night calls in various weather situations (cold, raining, etc.)

Reason for this thread: It would not be as possible for those with female anatomy to "pee off the side" of a hammock as described in the other thread. What strategies are you using when the weather is not conducive to simply hopping out and walking into the woods?

lilprincess
03-19-2017, 11:19
The best part of a hammock is the ability to pee without getting wet I the rain. I just find a corner under my tarp and that's my pre corner. I do pre more often, I think it's because of the bend in my waist being more than in a flat bed. I also use a yellow bandana for wiping. Then way I don't have to worry about leaving white flowers to pick up later. The cold is always a problem, but I sleep with nalgene bottle of hot water so I can warm back up quickly when I get back in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

slugbait
03-19-2017, 11:19
An umbrella helps a lot- just get up, slip on your shoes, grab your umbrella and stay dry while admiring the night.

souperjen24
03-19-2017, 14:15
I agree with lilprincess - I just pee under the tarp, as far away as possible from where I get in/out of my hammock if the weather isn't good. If it's not raining, I just walk a few feet away and pee lol. I think I pee more because it's just chillier out / I'm sleeping outside. I pee more when I car camp/glamp too.

swoody126
03-19-2017, 19:55
when sleeping anywhere away from porcelain conveniences i ALWAYS keep a FABRIC SOFTENER, WOOLITE OR CLOTHES washing LIQUID bottle handy

they have a convenient wide bottom and when the pour spout is removed can be used in a reclining position(learned to do this in the hospital w/ one of their provided bottles )

in the event you are uncomfortable doing IT in the hammock you can semi-privately use the above described bottle just standing under the fly AFTER DARK

btw, when thru doing IT ...CAP THE BOTTLE and set it on a pre-determined leveled spot the ground

sw

tollermama
03-19-2017, 21:12
I don't think I pee any more hammock camping than when tent camping. I think I do tend to pee more when camping in general for a couple reasons: One is that I am not as comfy and sleep as soundly as in my bed because it is "different" than in my bedroom. I have that same problem if I sleep in a hotel or at a friends house, (or not sleep since it is "different" than my bedroom).

Also I think I hydrate more outdoors so I have to pee more at night. Having said that I think I pee less in my hammock than when tent camping as it is more comfortable than the ground.

Having a tarp is awesome in crummy weather because you can pee without getting wet. Make sure you don't pee "downhill" so that it does not pool around your shoes or pack. In good weather I like to get out from my tarp to see the stars. It doesn't wake me up that much and I fall back to sleep.

jellyfish
03-19-2017, 22:13
I've been known to carry a pee bottle, which works great with either my Pstyle or Lady J.

P-Dub
03-19-2017, 22:50
I have a special nalgene bottle for night time -- no need for extra equipment b/c the mouth is wide enough, but I would not dare try it lying down! Not sure how swoody does that!

nj4x4fever
03-19-2017, 22:53
I bought a product from Amazon it's a bag with powder in it and it turns into instant gel when it gets wet. I believe Dutch has a video using one in his hammock on YouTube and he sells them on his website too. There are a few videos on YouTube that talk about portable urinals like the two guys of "Good Mythical Morning" they do it kind of live in the studio scenario. Most of the times I get out and go find a tree away from my hammock but not real far away. It's better to just go and then climb back in the hammock and go back to sleep. I may on occasion wake up once or twice during the night just to relieve myself. One night I got up and was relieving myself and I saw something moving out the corner of my eye. I turned my head and realized it was a skunk. I froze as it walked passed and continued to go on it's merry way. I had difficulties sleeping after that. I kept thinking he was coming back and would walk under my tarp and relieve itself.
It never happened. Found out from the owner of the campsite that 2 of them frequent the site and were friendly. Pricilla and Elvis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foulmouthedruffian
03-19-2017, 23:55
Ooh, a pee bottle! Here I was squattin' with my GoGirl so it wouldn't splash my feets. Bandana is a great idea too.

nj4x4fever
03-20-2017, 00:44
http://www.thegopilot.com/product/the-gopilot-deluxe-package/

nj4x4fever
03-20-2017, 00:47
https://youtu.be/eoMl__e_VcQ

foulmouthedruffian
03-20-2017, 13:28
Haha, maybe I'm just immature but watching him lay there, swaying gently, and staring off into nothing while peeing was just a little awkward.

I'm not sure how aiming works with lady bits. Even with a stand-to-pee device I feel like I'd make a mess.

tollermama
03-20-2017, 13:50
Ooh, a pee bottle! Here I was squattin' with my GoGirl so it wouldn't splash my feets. Bandana is a great idea too.

I only use a pee bottle when I am tent camping and don't want to brave the mosquitoes outside or if it is raining. Can't squat in a hammock into the pee bottle. Wish I could use something to direct the stream into a pee bottle but I imagine that would take quite some practice.

Khs777
03-21-2017, 19:38
I'm with tollermama - I use a pee bottle when I have to tent. But in the hammock I just get out,pick a corner and use my pstyle and a wet wipe.
I don't think I have to pee anymore than usual (except when at a motorcycle rally and drinking too much beer, but then it's a stumble to the ladies room :-)

Country Roads
03-22-2017, 18:13
Depends on where I am. In the "wild", I just step a bit away from the hammock and go, unless raining, then just under one end of the tarp ( I use a P-style, so much warmer I be and negates the need for TP). If in an established site or campground, I use my specially marked 1/2 liter wide-mouth bottle with a leak-proof lid. I use this same bottle while traveling, while sleeping in the back of my Jeep or, God forbid, a tent.
I have not noticed that I go more in a hammock or not. I don't think so.

P-Dub
03-23-2017, 21:39
I just ordered a P-Style ...thanks for the tip! It looks different than the types I've tried before, so thought I'd give it a shot.

emigrant1
03-23-2017, 23:38
I might try the Pstyle, and thanks for the yellow bandana idea. I don't have to go more often in a hammock than in my bed at home but at 66, that's pretty often! I do pay attention when I set up my hammock that there's a handy tree to lean on or rock to prop me. It's a nuisance but climbing back into the warm hammock feels wonderful and I go back to sleep checking out the stars.

artgirl42
04-21-2017, 15:06
I slept in my hammock for the first time about a week ago, and I did notice that I had to pee significantly more when I woke up than usual. I thought it was just me:lol:

Hotlips
04-21-2017, 20:27
I have a little stool I keep under my tarp to sit on and get dressed, or put on socks. For peeing I use one of the Maxwell House plastic coffee containers. Nice wide top, big flat bottom, can set it on the stool. Just go out in the morning and dump it somewhere in the woods.

deadeye
04-22-2017, 09:52
I don't mean to intrude in a women's forum, but I have a theory regarding the apparent need for folks of all genders to pee more often when sleeping in a hammock. I'm guessing that since many of us choose a slightly "downhill" lie, that the urine in our bladders is triggering nerves at the top of the bladder, making the brain think the bladder is full, when it's actually just tilted.

foulmouthedruffian
04-22-2017, 10:37
That's not how bladders work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

deadeye
04-22-2017, 13:28
That's not how bladders work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Perhaps not, but since you haven't elaborated, I did a quick search and turned up this:

How do you know when to empty your bladder?

The micturition reflex tells you when you need to empty your bladder. This happens on average four to eight times a day. The reflex is controlled by your central nervous system.

When your bladder is about half full, the stretch receptors in the walls of your bladder become active and send signals along your pelvic nerves to your spinal cord.

A reflex signal is sent back to your bladder, which makes the detrusor muscle in the bladder wall contract. The contraction increases the pressure in your bladder, and this is what makes you want to pass urine.

Perhaps position of the body at rest activates the aforementioned stretch receptors differently. Just a thought.
I really gotta go now.

Bluefen
04-22-2017, 23:33
I suspect it may have more to do with (as others have suggested) elevating your feet and thus getting better drainage of any swelling in your lower limbs. More fluid out of there means more fluid in the bladder, which is a good thing re: reduced swelling, but no fun re: more nighttime peeing. It's also possible that people hydrate better when outdoors due to the extra exertion, or are just thirstier due to the change in activity/outdoor air/all sorts of reasons, and thus more fluid in means more fluid out.

I think a proper scientific study of hammock camping is in order here. Lots of hammock time would be necessary, day and night, indoor and outdoor, and everyone can just say, "I'm not lazy - I'm doing science!"

P-Dub
04-24-2017, 21:50
I like that idea! And I teach research methods, so I am fully able to design the study, recruit participants, and analyze results!

jellyfish
04-24-2017, 22:01
I like that idea! And I teach research methods, so I am fully able to design the study, recruit participants, and analyze results!

I volunteer to be a research subject!!!

P-Dub
04-24-2017, 22:04
:boggle:

:laugh:

grannypat
07-13-2017, 15:15
I have a special nalgene bottle for night time -- no need for extra equipment b/c the mouth is wide enough, but I would not dare try it lying down! Not sure how swoody does that!

This is what I use. Have a yellow one so I don't accidently use it for anything else.

P-Dub
08-23-2017, 20:51
After my annual nearly-three-week canoe camping trip in Algonquin Provincial Park, I wanted to report on the use of the "p-style" device for standing to pee. It's GREAT!! I have used other stand-to-pee devices and they all have had something about them that was just not quite right. Too hard to position correctly, not enough extension away from my feet, too big and bulky, etc... but this thing was just right. I stitched up a narrow sack to hold it and my tp on my belt, and was ready to 'go' at any time! Someone in this thread mentioned it and that is why I tried it -- so thank you for the heads up!!

This completely changed my experience of portaging... it was fantastic!

lilprincess
08-23-2017, 20:53
Finding the right one that works for you is always key! So glad it was the one. Now try and write your name in the snow this winter for extra credit points. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jellyfish
08-23-2017, 21:22
Woohoo! Great news!

Shrewd
10-12-2017, 16:02
this is probably a necro post, and i'm a dude, but i just finished a thru hike and this topic came up for discussion a few times.

i don't think it has much if anything to do with hammocking, but maybe camping in general. Or perhaps metabolism? After awhile I noticed I had to get up more often. By the end of the trail I was surprised if i didn't have to get up in the middle of the night. I've been home for a few weeks now and even after staying up all night drinking beer, I often don't have to get up. I'll wake up and feel the need to go, sure, but often enough I just roll over and go back to sleep.

Trying to do that on the trail was an exercise in futility; eventually I just accepted it and better to do it fast so you can crawl back to your warm little world inside the hammock

Karla "with a k"
08-05-2018, 08:23
My friend let me know about this product her friend designed. I've never thought about using this while car camping, but I like the idea of not using more toilet paper and when I jump out of my hammock at 5am, having this option if I want:

https://kulacloth.com/

Thought I'd pass along the info in case someone wanted to purchase. I've never used just a bandana. Not much of a backpacker -yet.

bigdisgrace
08-05-2018, 09:28
My first nite in a hammock was in the basement as a test hang and I had no pad or UQ. I had to get up and go 4 times that nite. Sleeping cold makes you go more often. When I strapped on an UQ I reverted back to my normal 3:30 terlet trip and been that way ever since. But please, a pee bottle?? Just get up outta your 'mock and do it. Like all unpleasant chores it builds character.:) What happens when a guy line goes slack at nite??

jellyfish
08-05-2018, 10:17
My first nite in a hammock was in the basement as a test hang and I had no pad or UQ. I had to get up and go 4 times that nite. Sleeping cold makes you go more often. When I strapped on an UQ I reverted back to my normal 3:30 terlet trip and been that way ever since. But please, a pee bottle?? Just get up outta your 'mock and do it. Like all unpleasant chores it builds character.:) What happens when a guy line goes slack at nite??

You wouldn’t use a bottle while in a hammock.

bigdisgrace
08-05-2018, 10:38
You wouldn’t use a bottle while in a hammock.
From your perspective I cannot add to that...it's above my pay scale.:) if that was meant as a ? to me, then no.

Shug
08-05-2018, 10:40
I'm comfortable in bed at home but I just get up to go pee. Does anyone pee in a bottle at home?
Camping, I find getting out of the hammock peein' free in the dark a life perk.
Shug

Second Wind
08-21-2018, 19:08
I agree that I pee more often when sleeping in my hammock - my theory is that i have usually just spent the day hiking and have hydrated more than usual. My body retains more of that fluid during the day than usual (it ends up in my ankles). Then when lay in my hammock at night, even with a perfect sweet-spot lie, my feet might be a little higher than my core - it drains back to my kidneys and *Voila*...more pee! Am I overthinking haha

scrope
08-22-2018, 14:20
My theory is that I pee more when I sleep in my hammock because I hydrate a lot when I'm out hiking.

I've started to eat banana chips to get more potassium to prevent cramps. You can actually increase the likelihood of cramps by flushing out potassium with all that water. I've noticed that I need to drink less, which mean I carry less water weight, and I also don't get up and pee in the middle of the night as much, and I've reduced the amount/severity of cramps.

ThreeTracks
01-24-2019, 19:47
Interesting thread. I don't know if I'll need to go more often since I haven't tried my hammock yet, but I suspect I will.

This problem also comes up in bent cyclist circles. Some people need to pee more often when on a recumbent cycle. Of course I'm one of them. Since hammockers also have the problem maybe it really is the body position. More or less laid back, but not totally flat as in one's bed. I thought it was moving my legs in that position that sort of pushed on the bladder, but since you guys get it in your hammocks...

BillyBob58
01-24-2019, 21:40
this is probably a necro post, and i'm a dude, but i just finished a thru hike and this topic came up for discussion a few times.

i don't think it has much if anything to do with hammocking, but maybe camping in general. Or perhaps metabolism? After awhile I noticed I had to get up more often. By the end of the trail I was surprised if i didn't have to get up in the middle of the night. I've been home for a few weeks now and even after staying up all night drinking beer, I often don't have to get up. I'll wake up and feel the need to go, sure, but often enough I just roll over and go back to sleep.

Trying to do that on the trail was an exercise in futility; eventually I just accepted it and better to do it fast so you can crawl back to your warm little world inside the hammock

I can't remember having this issue in many years. At the beginning of my hammock camping days, I was up quite frequently, and so were quite a few other guys. ( don't know if it was a problem for the gals). Seems like we finally came to the conclusion that it was mostly due to the lower back area being cooler than normal compared to being in a bed inside. Even if it was not enough for the cold to wake us up, we thought maybe the lower back area being just a few degrees colder at skin level than normal was causing some sort of reflex for the kidneys to be overactive. (never happened to me in a tent on a pad, it just seemed to be associated with even a hint of CBS) I can't say for sure, but I can say for sure that the more skilled I became at keeping my back warm in a hammock, and keeping warm in a hammock all over, the less it happened. Until it didn't happen at all. But who knows for sure?

I guess there might be a simple experiment. Assuming that, regardless of weight, bulk or cost we are actually able to get our backsides toasty, just add whatever is needed to accomplish that. Even if it is double quilts plus a pad: whatever it takes, get those kidneys warm. And see what happens.

oldpappy
01-25-2019, 13:32
My first nite in a hammock was in the basement as a test hang and I had no pad or UQ. I had to get up and go 4 times that nite. Sleeping cold makes you go more often. When I strapped on an UQ I reverted back to my normal 3:30 terlet trip and been that way ever since.

I can't remember having this issue in many years. At the beginning of my hammock camping days, I was up quite frequently, and so were quite a few other guys. ( don't know if it was a problem for the gals). Seems like we finally came to the conclusion that it was mostly due to the lower back area being cooler than normal compared to being in a bed inside. Even if it was not enough for the cold to wake us up, we thought maybe the lower back area being just a few degrees colder at skin level than normal was causing some sort of reflex for the kidneys to be overactive. I can say for sure that the more skilled I became at keeping my back warm in a hammock, and keeping warm in a hammock all over, the less it happened.

These guys figured it out. For me, keeping the lower back warm has proven as the key. Years ago I noticed that when I wore a vest at night I did not need to get up. I've since been using a simple 'kidney pad' (about 18" square thin sit pad) against my lower back with the same results. Try insulating your lower back and see if you get to the same pee frequency as you have normally.

rweb82
01-25-2019, 14:15
I've noticed that I don't get up to pee as often in the hammock as I used to- but the frequency is still more than in a bed. I think a lot of that has to do with me limiting my liquid consumption in the later hours of the evening. I do agree that the temperature on your back can make a difference as to the frequency one may have to "go." But I also think that body positioning is another factor. In a gathered-end hammock, even the flattest lay still causes a slight bend at the waist- putting extra pressure on the bladder. I actually find a slight bend at my waist to be more comfortable than lying truly flat- as it provides me with more back support. The trade-off- however, is that I do feel the need to relieve myself a little more than when I'm on a traditional mattress.

Trance
02-14-2019, 20:48
First off, I'm a male I don't proclaim to understand what may make women specifically have to pee more, but after doing some research, there is a potential link with sleep apnea and having to pee more. Just something to look at.

P-Dub
02-24-2019, 19:42
I have sleep apnea, but am more likely to awaken in the night to pee when camping than at home.

ThreeTracks
03-31-2019, 22:57
Funny how things coincide. I mentioned earlier it's common to need to go more often when riding a recumbent. A guy at a recumbent forum gave us a plausible physiological explanation the other day. I wonder if the same explanation isn't also good for sleeping in a hammock. From what I've seen most people seem to lie with their feet higher than the rest of the body.

Read what he says here: http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=145135#2 .

BTW what he says about getting thirsty an hour or so after riding is spot on. Do you experience something similar in the morning after sleeping in the hammock?

imspiritgirl
06-14-2019, 06:14
Same thing happened to me years ago, when going from ground camping to the trees and instant relief was achieved by increasing the insulation around my kidneys. I would go from the restless up several times to pee a night state, which would make me tired in the morning, to that awesomeness that comes from a great night of uninterrupted sleep that I only get while hammocking after making sure my kidneys stayed warm enough. Often that meant throwing my sit pad under my lower back to that area and or taking a warmer underquilt.

sassyinpink
09-02-2019, 23:56
Same thing happened to me years ago, when going from ground camping to the trees and instant relief was achieved by increasing the insulation around my kidneys. I would go from the restless up several times to pee a night state, which would make me tired in the morning, to that awesomeness that comes from a great night of uninterrupted sleep that I only get while hammocking after making sure my kidneys stayed warm enough. Often that meant throwing my sit pad under my lower back to that area and or taking a warmer underquilt.

increasing the insulation around your kidneys? so do you wrap scarf or blanket around your waist area?

zpamnor
09-03-2019, 00:52
Well. To be honest. I drink beers around the campfire. Therefore I pee. But I do pee more frequently when hammocking. Just not entirely sure why.
Kidney theory sounds interesting.

Yarome
09-03-2019, 02:14
Another contributor may be simply a physiological response to exertion and cooler temperatures... combined with the tendency for hikers/campers to be more conscientious about hydration.

The body is a remarkable and highly adaptable machine. At times of greater exertion or demands on core heating, over your "baseline", the body is able to "anticipate" energy requirements and will adjust the metabolism accordingly.

Not to get gross on anyone, but this is generally most noticeable in how your body processes solids... which has a direct coorelation to how your body utilizes water and processes toxins from the body. At "baseline" your body may extract a much lower percentage of nutrients from the solids you intake. Basically, taking the easily metabolized and low toxicity nutrients sufficient to meet your energy requirements, tucking a little away for later (fat) and allowing the rest to pass.

With a sudden increase in energy requirements the body will extract a much greater percentage of nutrients from solid intake. Doing so though exponentially increases the toxins that must be expelled so an overactive bladder is a natural side-affect.

IMHO, splitting hairs a bit, but keeping your middle back, specifically, warm isn't as much a cause and affect for urination frequency as it is in keeping all parts well insulated and maintaining a constant body temp. "Any" cold spot is going to keep your metabolism in high-gear. The nearer your core, the greater the demand. On the flip side, maintaining a constant temp throughout your body will signal your metabolism to slow and take a breather.

IOW, if your footsies and face are freezing off, keeping your back warm, alone, isn't going to help with your P-trip counter. ;)

zpamnor
09-03-2019, 02:42
I have to add: I love the nerdyness of this thread. I am absolutely intrigued!

flask_ehrlenmeyer
09-10-2019, 18:52
hah! i love this thread.

i do not use a pee bottle, but i do use a pibella stand up device because there's and age at which your knees no longer allow you to get a good enough squat not to pee into your socks.

i do not pee more often in my hammock i don't think, but also i don't sleep in a bed anymore. when camping, i often pee earlier than at home because while camping in fine weather i prefer to pee while it's still dark and not have to get up when i wake and in winter weather i prefer to pee before i'm done sleeping and get a whole snooze cycle in without having to wake.

i do habitually have breakfast in the hammock, as well as my morning reading. it's the most comfortable place to be, so why not stay there?

xxjljoyce
10-25-2019, 00:10
I love my pibella a stand up device but
i don’t think I pee more often in my hammock

taraH
09-21-2021, 20:38
As a nurse, I am intrigued as what bottle they had you use in the hospital!

Sundownalpacas
11-19-2021, 07:54
hah! i love this thread.

i do not use a pee bottle, but i do use a pibella stand up device because there's and age at which your knees no longer allow you to get a good enough squat not to pee into your socks.

i do not pee more often in my hammock i don't think, but also i don't sleep in a bed anymore. when camping, i often pee earlier than at home because while camping in fine weather i prefer to pee while it's still dark and not have to get up when i wake and in winter weather i prefer to pee before i'm done sleeping and get a whole snooze cycle in without having to wake.

i do habitually have breakfast in the hammock, as well as my morning reading. it's the most comfortable place to be, so why not stay there?
I purchased the Venus to Mars stand up device. I am a new hanger, but have not used it yet. I always have to get up and pee during the night at least once. The problem with old bladders. Sleeping in the hammock does not make me pee more at night.