PDA

View Full Version : Canada>Ont> EGL Valens

76 highboy
04-02-2017, 07:10
Im thinking Valens on April 8th for a quick overnighter

Winter camping in southern ontario is pretty much done and dipping our paddles in is only a couple of weeks away.
Great opportunity to test out any new gear before the season is upon us.
Plus its a great excuse to sit by a fire and grill excessive amounts of meat! :laugh:

I hope to be there noonish

LuvmyBonnet
04-02-2017, 13:07
Put me down as a maybe, possibly, I'm thinking about it, could work, let's see, I'll get back to you, Hopefully, Gunna try, let's hope so, I'd really like to, hope to see you there! :laugh:

underserviced
04-02-2017, 18:19
I've got to double check my calendar. Assuming it's clear I'll be there!

Huckleberry Hanger
04-03-2017, 08:48
Hi gang,

I will be there for at least part of the evening but likely overnight!

KB

LuvmyBonnet
04-03-2017, 18:12
Ok I'm really looking forward to getting back out there after my little hiatus. I'll be bringing the Dutch Oven but instead of my famous pot roast I'm thinking about doing Dr Pepper ribs. Also looking to try out some new gear. Picked up a Ridge Runner with all the fixings.
Should be fun. I don't plan on bringing any dehydrated food, just fire meat.

76 highboy
04-03-2017, 22:22
Ok I'm really looking forward to getting back out there after my little hiatus. I'll be bringing the Dutch Oven but instead of my famous pot roast I'm thinking about doing Dr Pepper ribs. Also looking to try out some new gear. Picked up a Ridge Runner with all the fixings.
Should be fun. I don't plan on bringing any dehydrated food, just fire meat.

Excellent! Ribs mmmmmm
I'm going to have to supply an equally delicious dessert

Bubba
04-04-2017, 02:59
Can't make it. :( Have fun everyone.

KeeWayKeno
04-04-2017, 11:05
I can't attend either, already have tickets the 6th Annual KW Canoe Symposium ... a great event (& inexpensive, a full day for a mere $15) for any body interested. Unfortunately sold out as it is every year but worth getting on their mailing list for next year!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

LuvmyBonnet
04-04-2017, 17:19
What do you need to go to a canoe symposium for?!? You already have on of the sweetest canoes I've ever seen!
I know, I know. I get it. Hope to see you in May.

KeeWayKeno
04-04-2017, 18:49
What do you need to go to a canoe symposium for?!? You already have on of the sweetest canoes I've ever seen!
I know, I know. I get it. Hope to see you in May.
I can't believe I'm going to miss your famous cooking! "Dr. Pepper ribs" sound intriguing.

Huckleberry Hanger
04-05-2017, 04:14
76 highboy, do you have sites reserved?

ConnieB
04-05-2017, 08:45
Oh man, I going to miss the meat-fest? I am gone to the season opener paddling festival this weekend in Marmora. A few screw loose kayakers/canoers get together early spring and paddle the Beaver creek and Black river in Marmora area....or any open water for that matter.

KeeWayKeno, let me know how the symposium went. One of my plan is to take a canoe trip to nahanni river one day.

76 highboy
04-05-2017, 16:37
Um, no I dont do you think it will be an issue?

Connie;that sounds like a blast! I guess im going to have to eat your share of the tarts !:lol:

underserviced
04-05-2017, 17:27
I'm clear and it's on my family calendar. I'll be there. Weather looks promising!

Hoolio
04-06-2017, 14:16
I am interested. It would be my first time. What is the cost at Valens? Are non hanging significant others welcome?

Chard
04-06-2017, 14:22
Is this still on? I might try to drop by for dinner.

LuvmyBonnet
04-06-2017, 14:33
I am interested. It would be my first time. What is the cost at Valens? Are non hanging significant others welcome?
I don't know the exact fee but it is divided amoung the group so it's nominal. Ground dwellers are welcome but we will try our best to convert them! LOL

Is this still on? I might try to drop by for dinner.
It's on like Donkey Kong!

Hoolio
04-06-2017, 14:47
Awesome. I have a hammock for her just don't have enough UQ to keep her warm yet. Still new to hobby.

LuvmyBonnet
04-06-2017, 14:49
Awesome. I have a hammock for her just don't have enough UQ to keep her warm yet. Still new to hobby.
Let me know if she wants to hang. If so I'll bring a 0* quilt for he to use.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Hoolio
04-06-2017, 14:55
wow. How generous. she will be better kitted than me lol. I will ask her tonight. She is eager to camp but doesn't like cold.
I then remind her I tested my setup the same night you guys were in Valens earlier. We were unfortunately in London so I missed it but that was way colder and I was fine.

Hoolio
04-06-2017, 20:24
She is in and would be very grateful for an UQ. So must brings it seems are sleep system and meat. Any other suggestions for a first timer?

Chard
04-06-2017, 21:38
She is in and would be very grateful for an UQ. So must brings it seems are sleep system and meat. Any other suggestions for a first timer?

Hiya,

I have my trusty 3 1/2 season DIY UQ that I don't plan on using. I'd ask that you drop it off in the morning when you get back into the city though.

76 highboy
04-06-2017, 23:56
I'll be bringing firewood,fire irons,and a tripod grill. + MEAT!

Niagara
04-07-2017, 06:39
Im in, can bring firewood and a dutch oven hashbrown breakfast for Sunday to share for those that would like.
Niagara Brian

76 highboy
04-07-2017, 07:06
Great to see you coming out for the night Niagara.
You cant just come out and visit us EGLers,you got to hang with us some time.
+ We,ve never said no to food :laugh:

Singingcrowsings
04-07-2017, 07:13
Oooh! So accessible and meat and tarts and a hashbrown breakfast to boot! I''ll have to keep my eye open for next time.

Have a great hang!

Niagara
04-07-2017, 07:27
Be good to get out. I had actually been planning on tonight as a solo there, but the weather leaves me doubting whether i would be comforatble in me beginner gear, then i saw this thread, and well, its was like how could i not go? Lulled to sleep to soft call of banjoes in the distance ......:unsure::unsure::unsure::scared:

Hoolio
04-07-2017, 09:10
Hi Chard. Thanks for the generous offer but we've got her covered thanks to LMB.

Niagara
04-07-2017, 14:11
Hi Hoolio this is technically my first hang with the group even though Ive met several folks on day visits. Great group of people to learn from and generous to boot as you have found out.

Huckleberry Hanger
04-07-2017, 14:23
I am at Valens now checking everything out. no snow here. also no park attendants! I called and we can't make reservations. First come first serve tomorrow morning!!!

Huckleberry Hanger
04-08-2017, 07:45
Have site 134 booked. Setting up my hammock then will be back around 1pm

76 highboy
04-08-2017, 07:56
Nice job Hanging canuck!:)
Many thanx. I,m shooting for an 11:30 arrival.
See yawl there

Hoolio
04-08-2017, 09:53
Hoping to be there around 2. Likely closer to 3. Setup hammocks and then maybe go for a geocaching walk.

Hoolio
04-08-2017, 10:54
so should we get the sites beside? how does this work ?

LuvmyBonnet
04-09-2017, 15:54
I had a great time as usual. Nothing like hangin in the woods with some good folks to wash away the stress of Life. Shout out to Niagara who not only hung instead of visiting, he made an awesome breakfast for all of us and he stepped up my Dutch oven clean up by introducing me to the Lodge foil inserts. I was using the parchment but the foil is way tougher and don't have to be so careful about tearing the parchment.
I finnaly got to see the actual 76 Highboy. All I can say is that's a sweet truck! Don't touch it!
I didn't take any pictures which isn't like me. Chard stopped by for the day and I'm sure he will be sharing some nice shots. That was a sweet set up you had there Chard.
We also made a convert on this trip. Yeah! Welcome to the elevated perceptive Heather! :thumbup:
So thanks again everyone I had a great time. It was great to see some new faces as well as the old crew.
I'm hoping to hook up for the trail end of the Adonis Challenge in May. :lol:

Bubba
04-09-2017, 20:29
To bad I missed it. Pictures from anyone?

Huckleberry Hanger
04-10-2017, 13:47
What a fantastic impromptu weekend! Weather couldn't have been better. Thanks to all that were able to come out and share their stories, knowledge, expertise and food!!!! Can't seem to be able to upload photos from my phone. User error!

Niagara
04-10-2017, 14:05
I did start a thread under the reports section - I didn't take many pics but maybe some that did can add there.
Niagara

KeeWayKeno
04-11-2017, 08:05
I have to ask - what was this amazing Dutch Oven breakfast Niagara made? I'm always on the prowl for field-tested new recipes & clearly this was a hit!

Hoolio
04-11-2017, 09:28
Added 3 pics form phone the others were too high file size over on trip report.

LuvmyBonnet
04-11-2017, 14:36
I have to ask - what was this amazing Dutch Oven breakfast Niagara made? I'm always on the prowl for field-tested new recipes & clearly this was a hit!

I believe it was Sausage Egg & Cheese. It was great. So many things I haven't tried in the Dutch Oven. I haven't done any breakfast stuff. I want to try the Mountain Man Breakfast and there are bunches of deserts too. I might have to try a pineapple upside down cake after my recent discovery that cooked pineapple is delicious! I thought the ribs were eh but the pineapple MMMMMMMMM!

Niagara
04-11-2017, 19:11
Keewaykeno it was just a recipe i found online but i rarely stick to them, so a little more breakfast sausage and a few more hash browns with diced onion, added some eggs,, then topped with cheese. I can see if i can find it again and send it to you. The H&H team had tortillas so some of us loaded them up, plus they brought ketchup, so you know, good people in my books.
Niagara

KeeWayKeno
04-11-2017, 19:16
No worries, sounds great. Like LMBonnet most of my Dutch Oven cooking has been supper dishes, I really need to expand my repertoire to breakfasts. The rave reviews you got will be my inspiration!