PDA

View Full Version : So many options, not sure what to get...HELP!!!

curlymaple42
04-13-2017, 17:17
OK, I am going through info overload and getting totally confused. This spring MAHHA hang end of this month probably will help, but figure you Loco folks could set me straight. I will have a chance to check out FlashGrundelore's TQ I suspect in April or June which is good. So what I want is a TQ likely in 0 degree rating. I have the 20 degree Wooki UQ but was fine in 14 degree temps with a 0 degree bag over me and the Wooki. I have the warm stuff covered, I just want my own 0 degree I think. WHat I can't figure out is if I pick one of your three models, of which only two seem to appear on your site, I can get standard width, whatever taper I want, and the footbox I want, BUT, I don't really understand the overstuff deal. If it's a 0 degree bag, what does the extra down do? Get you lower temps? I know if you get a no taper or half taper or wider TQ the overstuff gives you a little more fill to even things out from what I can figure. I understand the chevron baffles being more difficult to sew and also keep things where they are supposed to be. Is this the basic difference between the Ghost and Serrano? I'm thinking I like the snap and cinch concept as it makes the TQ more versatile. That make sense?

Thank you!! The biggest question really is I don't get the overstuff concept on a standard length standard taper TQ. Not sure if I need/want it.

TrailSlug
04-13-2017, 18:15
The overstuffing simply makes the quilt a bit more warm. How much is debatable but my rule of thumb is if you are a cold sleeper then go for a "bit" of over stuffing otherwise don't.

kitsapcowboy
04-13-2017, 18:32
The overstuffing simply makes the quilt a bit more warm. How much is debatable but my rule of thumb is if you are a cold sleeper then go for a "bit" of over stuffing otherwise don't.+1 to TrailSlug's explanation. Also, as I understand it, if you're subjecting a down quilt to the rigors of an expended expedition during which it won't be completely dried or laundered, such as an AT thru-hike, overstuff can help it to achieve maximum loft more readily.

(That said, here in the wet 'n' wild Pacific Northwest, I'm really mostly a synthetic quilt guy :scared: and George happens to make my favorite Jalapeno Pepper with Climashield Apex. Hands down, the best synthetic quilt on the market, and fully customizable!)

curlymaple42
04-13-2017, 18:40
Nice! Thanks guys! That helps. I'm likely not doing any huge long extended expeditions, but want to be warm out back and when we do overnighters here local and maybe a 2-3 day excursion up north. Mostly I just want to sleep out back when it is really cold so I can keep our friends and family wondering about my sanity. It's worth the $300+/- HAHAHAHA!!!

georgecarr
04-21-2017, 13:20
OK, I am going through info overload and getting totally confused. This spring MAHHA hang end of this month probably will help, but figure you Loco folks could set me straight. I will have a chance to check out FlashGrundelore's TQ I suspect in April or June which is good. So what I want is a TQ likely in 0 degree rating. I have the 20 degree Wooki UQ but was fine in 14 degree temps with a 0 degree bag over me and the Wooki. I have the warm stuff covered, I just want my own 0 degree I think. WHat I can't figure out is if I pick one of your three models, of which only two seem to appear on your site, I can get standard width, whatever taper I want, and the footbox I want, BUT, I don't really understand the overstuff deal. If it's a 0 degree bag, what does the extra down do? Get you lower temps? I know if you get a no taper or half taper or wider TQ the overstuff gives you a little more fill to even things out from what I can figure. I understand the chevron baffles being more difficult to sew and also keep things where they are supposed to be. Is this the basic difference between the Ghost and Serrano? I'm thinking I like the snap and cinch concept as it makes the TQ more versatile. That make sense?

Thank you!! The biggest question really is I don't get the overstuff concept on a standard length standard taper TQ. Not sure if I need/want it.

Sorry I missed this post, we've been quite busy with a lot of cool upcoming stuff lately, and a move over the past 1 1/2 weeks. With that said, WHEW! I guess my first question is what 3rd tq model? We have the Ghost Pepper and Serrrano, with the only difference being the baffles. What I am debating right now is whether I want to retool the Serrano to a new baffle design I have in mind, or keep the Serrano as is and make it an economy quilt and add the other design as an intermediate quilt with the GP being our premium offering. Lots of things to consider.

To answer the overfill question, in my mind it's very simple. We conservatively rate our quilts for an "average sleeper", meaning not hot or cold sleeper. I normally recommend overfill if you are a cold sleeper, or are trying to slightly boost the rating of the quilt. If you need a 0° order a 0°, if you need a 20° order a 20°. Adding down to try to make your 20° a 10° doesn't make a ton of sense in my mind because you don't get the benefits of taller baffle height which translates to more loft between the chambers, thus eliminating opportunities for cool spots.

curlymaple42
04-21-2017, 14:01
That makes sense. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk