PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of this Forum

attroll
10-22-2006, 19:39
I'm back trip report can be read here;

http://www.hammock.free1k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8#8

Pics here;

http://www.hammock.free1k.com/index.php?page=3&smartor_mode=album_cat&cat_id=7

I hate to sound like a total jerk here. But I would appreciate it if anyone is going to post on this web site there trip reports or shake downs that they please post their reports on this web site and not send the users to another link to other forums. It defeats the whole purpose of why everyone wanted this web site to come on line.

We created this web site to help users and to post things of this nature. I would hate to think I spent my own money for nothing if others are not going to use it properly.
I can understand if the users web sites already predated this web site. Maybe I am just taking this all the wrong way. If everyone is going to start creating their own web sites so they can post links to there own personal webs site on this web site then the question is why does this web site even exist?

Just Jeff
10-22-2006, 22:53
Troll, I moved this into its own forum so it doesn't hijack ShakeyLeggs' thread, but it does need to be discussed.

So everyone knows, ATTroll and I have discussed a bit of this in PMs and we kinda disagree on it, too. So, with the understanding that this is his website and it'll be run however he decides, I guess we need to discuss what the expectations are.

Basically, it boils down to this. We can either have everything posted here, on this website, for easy access...or we can consolidate lots of things from various websites across the web into this forum with links and such, in addition to what we actually post here. Advantages and disadvantages of each.

I don't want to give my thoughts on the pros/cons b/c I want to hear what you guys say first. So how do you think we should do it? What would you guys be most willing to do?

attroll
10-22-2006, 23:31
The posted that Jeff moved to this thread from the thread that Shakeylegs started was not specifically targeted at Shakeylegs. Sorry if it looked that way Shakey. It was just a comment. Jeff and me have talked about this in some depth. I can see both sides of the coin on this subject. So I am undecided on where I stand on this. Here are my thoughts.

We started this forum because everyone wanted this hammock forum to open. I agree we needed a hammock forum on the web where we all could talk hammock stuff. I though the reason we started it was so everyone could post there reviews, tests, and homemade gear here on this forum for everyone to see so that we would not have to jump around to 6 different hammock web sites to try and find what we were looking for and willing to share. This way it would all be centralized on one web site. That was my though on why we started this.

Now the other side of the story. I can also see why others do not want to share there web pages and not post all their info on this web site. I will use Jeff as an example because he has an awesome web site and because his web site is a very good example. Also because I know he will not mind. Jeff's has put a lot of work into his web site and if I were him I would be very proud of it and I am sure he is. So I can relate to why he does not cut and past all the information he has gathered from his web site on this web site. He wants people to visit his web site as would I if I were him. I am not saying this is what Jeff is thinking, but what I would be thinking if I were Jeff and keep in mind I am only using his site as an example. Jeff did not tell me this so do not think that these thoughts were his. This is just and example.

So here we are with a dilemma (maybe not) and I can see both sides of the coin and would like some inputs on this. I don't care which way we go with this. It would be nice if we could have everything on one web site, but then again I see the other side of this too. I did not mean to make it look like I was going off on Shakey when I posted.

Hangman
10-23-2006, 06:43
I had not given either a thought until it was brought up here. But i guess thats because i don't have a web site. Thinking about it now ,it must take a lot of time to develope these sites, and i can see how both sides would feel. I gotten so much useful information from all the sites. It would be nice to have it all in one place. Just for the ease of it. After saying that, the varity of the other sites also has benifits and i think there must be some personal satisfaction in delveloping and running them. I hope all around, nobodies feeling get to bruised through this.I think its great that this stuff gets aried out if there is some issues or other thought on the subject.I want to thank all of you guys who put their time into these fourms, You all have brought so much info to the hiking community.

Just Jeff
10-23-2006, 21:31
Bump. Seriously, guys - what are your thoughts?

FanaticFringer
10-23-2006, 21:45
I think the bottom line is that Shakeyleggs probably should not have posted his shakedown in his own website. That was not such a great idea but in the big scheme of things I dont think it would matter much. I dont see a problem with anyone posting links to other valuable info. such as the Jacks site. The added info. that comes from some of these resources gives the viewer a more detailed explanation as to an idea, tips, etc.

Coffee
10-23-2006, 21:53
I would like to see everything posted on this website. Too me it seems better for people to post their reports/whatever in one place. For people that want to keep up their own site, maybe they can post the content here along with a link to their site.

A big advantage to keeping everything here is that there will be no broken links or problems with people's websites. I often do searches on other forums and come across a link that would answer my question only to find it no longer works.

Aramis
10-24-2006, 04:54
The only problem with posting everything here is that someone has to pay for the bandwidth. A trip report or pics of making something is likely to have a dozen or so photos at least.

It all adds up.

Besides, a lot of people like to have their stuff on their own site so that they can add to it or edit it as they choose. It's kind of like collecting stamps :)

txulrich
10-24-2006, 07:38
Here are my thoughts.

Assuming bandwidth or cost are not issues, then when posting original content, I would like to see it all here. If you want to post it to multiple sites, no problem. Cut and paste is really easy.

When doing research, post the links to the information.

If you want to put a link to your website in your signature (like Jeff does), that's cool with me. Most of us will check it out at some point anyway.

Just my $.02.

headchange4u
10-24-2006, 08:18
I think trip reports should be posted here on the site. I think this site was designed to be a one-stop for all thing hammock camping and should contain all the information possible including complete trip reports.

I don't see any problem with a posting links to personal web pages ALONG WITH the complete trip reports that are posted here.