PDA

View Full Version : Hanging on Assateague Island

lighteffect95
05-20-2017, 13:18
I've been thinking about going down to Assateague island to camp with my girlfriend. She heard something about it having wild horses and really wants to backpack somewhere over there on the beach. I was wondering if anyone on here has had success hanging hammocks from any trees there/if there are any that would make it easier on my pack, not having to pack 2 compact turtledog stands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrailSlug
05-20-2017, 13:53
I can't help you with the trees as it's been 25 years since I last visited there and was a ground dweller at the time. The horses are a neat site but they get old quick as they are the worst beggars you've ever encountered. It's a neat area but can be very buggy if there's no wind. I also loved the fact that you can drive on the beach or at least you could back then. Hopefully one of the guys around here has hung in that area. Looking at Google Maps satellite view looks like there's a ton of trees to hang from.

jellyfish
05-20-2017, 13:56
It is possible that some of the paddle-in only sites have suitable trees. Nothing in the regular campground, though. You'd want to bring a stand.

Oceanside sites allow for fires on the beach. Very nice.

jellyfish
05-20-2017, 13:57
The state park part may be a better bet.

DanversPort
05-24-2017, 20:58
You're not allowed to hang anything from the trees on the Assateague, so hammocking is illegal there. I was bummed to find this out when I went. The backcountry sites have food poles that could serve as an anchor point if you can makeshift another one, or you'd need a stand. Let me know if you've got any other questions about the island, and I'll try and answer based on my experiences!

Treeshadow
05-25-2017, 10:59
I go once a year. I bring the hammock stand as there no tie off to any foilage what so ever. I stay on the Bayside.Perfect in the fall. Last July we were eaten alive right thru all the protective bug spray and clothing. It was extremely hot and humid. Many left due to heat and bugs. The horses are wild so you don't go near. Although they do like to walk right into your camp and check your table or cooking pot for any type of food. So you learn to stash quickly when you hear them coming. They have all grown up there so they do not fear people. They do like your smokey fire pit and stand/stay right on top of it to keep the flies away from them. I found that the Alpha male who travels with his groupies does not share space, the others have to stand further away. :laugh: the beach side is huge. Lots of RV's. Some tents on the dunes. Pit toilets and push button showers.
Great biking, nature walking trails with wood bridges over tidal waterways. Canoe and boat rentals on Bayside.

lighteffect95
05-25-2017, 14:40
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm gonna try and see if I can pack my turtledog stand for the trip tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes