PDA

View Full Version : Sling modification for Hennessey

opie
01-23-2010, 08:29
I have modified the standard build of the slings to better suit a Hennessey. This will allow you to make better use of the line.

I changed the fixed eye from 4" to 2" and increased the distance between the end of the fixed eye bury and the exit of the adjustable bury. If you have a Hennessey, just let me know so I can build them to suit.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/opie0074/P1010069.jpg

Rockdawg69
01-26-2010, 14:28
Got my slings today. Thanks for great service. They look awesome. Tonight is "CHANGE - Yes We Can" night.

WarmSoda
01-26-2010, 15:07
opie, you are truely an innovator on some of these suspension systems. I'm reading this, but I'm still confused. Why is this change needed on the hennessy?

tlbj6142
01-26-2010, 15:56
Why is this change needed on the hennessy?Smaller loop makes it a bit easier to "convert" the HH to use the Amsteel (see HH to Whoopie video (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13116)). I have to assume the other change (moving the constrictor bury out further) is so you can continue to use the stock HH tarp setup with prusiks tied to the suspension lines. I know the first time I setup my HH after making the conversion, it was the first thing I noticed that I wish I had done differently. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, I just might make another set....

opie
01-26-2010, 16:33
opie, you are truely an innovator on some of these suspension systems. I'm reading this, but I'm still confused. Why is this change needed on the hennessy?

tlbj is partly right.

I have made the fixed eye smaller because it takes line to make the fixed loop. And since its buried in the wrap, its wasted line. So I gained 4" of line by going to a 2" loop.

I moved the exit of the adjustable bury out because by having it at the end of the fixed eye, its awfully close to the end of the hammock. Some customers had suggested moving it out so adjustments are a bit easier. I used the 4" inches I gained from the fixed eye, +2 more, by seperating the buries.

I dont subscribe to having your tarp attached to your hammock suspension. So this change for a Hennessey is not tarp related. But if it works out that way, its an unintended result....

opie
01-26-2010, 16:35
Got my slings today. Thanks for great service. They look awesome. Tonight is "CHANGE - Yes We Can" night.

Excellent! Post up some pics when you get them swapped out.

Rockdawg69
01-26-2010, 16:44
Excellent! Post up some pics when you get them swapped out.

Can do.
On the previous post on extending the bury by 6 inches: Not so much for tarp on HH in my case, but it works better for UQ suspension, especially JRB hanging method.

Rockdawg69
01-26-2010, 22:08
Opie,

here are a few pics. original HH Suspension tied on and then whoopie slings each end: grey for head end and black for foot end. Thanks to Knotty for the method and Ken for the demo video. Made this an easy job.

"CHANGE" has come

opie
01-26-2010, 22:10
Looks good.

Looks like the measurements are right on....

Rockdawg69
01-26-2010, 22:14
Looks good.

Looks like the measurements are right on....

I try a hang in the backyard tomorrow and see how it works out. Will hang the UQ also. Got a feeling the UQ suspension will be a little awkward until I figure out the measurements for the mini biners and shock cord.

Rockdawg69
01-27-2010, 16:15
Opie, here are pics from a test hang with the whoopies and JRB HR long UQ. Findings: 1) snake skins need to be kept tight on the ends of the hammock to prevent interference with slings; 2) for sure need to use UQ suspension method recommended by the Jacks - half hitch works pretty good when wrapped over the gathered ends (also means over the snakeskins); 3) you might consider adding a few more inches out to the bury for the loop to give some more room in handling the loop and any UQ suspension for HH's.

Still, this is a great leap forward. Giving this an A+.

opie
01-27-2010, 16:24
Rock... How many extra inches are you thinking?

Right now its 6" between. Are you thinking 9" or 10"?

Also... I can make the fixed eye smaller... like 1".

Rockdawg69
01-27-2010, 18:18
The fixed eye is good as is. Any smaller and I think it would be too small.
For the start of the bury, I was thinking another 6 inches maybe. Just enough to move the exit point out from the end of the hammock a little further for some extra hand room to operate a little easier. Some others may prefer it just like you have it???????? Sorta up to you based on any comments you get from others

opie
01-27-2010, 18:35
The fixed eye is good as is. Any smaller and I think it would be too small.
For the start of the bury, I was thinking another 6 inches maybe. Just enough to move the exit point out from the end of the hammock a little further for some extra hand room to operate a little easier. Some others may prefer it just like you have it???????? Sorta up to you based on any comments you get from others

Ill make up another set with an additional 6" between the buries and send them out. Ill also send along a stamped envelope for you to send back the ones you have now. If you like.

Rockdawg69
01-27-2010, 20:19
Ill make up another set with an additional 6" between the buries and send them out. Ill also send along a stamped envelope for you to send back the ones you have now. If you like.

No need for that. I'm good with these. Just saying for future orders you might consider more spacing. Thanks for the service.

opie
01-27-2010, 20:29
No need for that. I'm good with these. Just saying for future orders you might consider more spacing. Thanks for the service.

OK. Offer stands if you change your mind.