PDA

View Full Version : WallyWorld rip stop

ollien247
01-23-2010, 18:27
After watching the video library and some associated videos, I went down to Walmart looking for some silnylon. I found some real thin ripstop nylon that was not labeled. I asked the lady at the fabric counter and she informed me that they got some bolts of ripstop nylon but she had no info other than what was on the label. Apparently they get some remnants in but its a crap shoot as to what it actually is.
Soooo of to Joann fabrics I went and they don't carry it.... Are there any stores that carry silnylon or is it strictly a internet buy? If so where and how much does it go for?

pndwind
01-23-2010, 18:35
I asked the lady at our Evil Giant if they ever carry silnylon and she cocked her head and said "Whats that?".

ollien247
01-23-2010, 18:44
well they did have some really light weight ripstop I just couldn't get any info past that and having zero experience with the fabric I didnt want to buy it not knowing what I was getting.

bonsaihiker
01-23-2010, 19:33
I made a tiny hammock for my then 5-year-old son out of that stuff. It worked great and was really light. I've got some more and am planning to try a double-layer hammock for myself. I'll pad the ground well before I get in, but I'm thinking that it will probably work well.

Peg-Leg
01-24-2010, 00:11
After watching the video library and some associated videos, I went down to Walmart looking for some silnylon. I found some real thin ripstop nylon that was not labeled. I asked the lady at the fabric counter and she informed me that they got some bolts of ripstop nylon but she had no info other than what was on the label. Apparently they get some remnants in but its a crap shoot as to what it actually is.
Soooo of to Joann fabrics I went and they don't carry it.... Are there any stores that carry silnylon or is it strictly a internet buy? If so where and how much does it go for?

What was the color of the WM ripstop? I've used the green stuff for two hammocks, double layer with no problems. Also I've bought some silver color ripstop form WM as well.

Bankheadboy
01-24-2010, 09:37
I use the thin ripstop from WM to make top covers. It works good for that. I also made hammocks out of the thicker ripstop from WM and it works good too!

tammons
01-24-2010, 10:23
The other day I asked the WM fabric counter lady where the rip stop comes from. She was actually very knowledgable for a change. She said is was usually end of mill runs and thats why it is always about the same length.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the fabric, just look it over.

I never have found any silnylon, but they usually have non coated or DWR on occasion.

The super thin dark green stuff they have is the same as is used in the army pant and coat liners. Very very thin and 1 oz and does not look stong enough for a hammock to me.

Just got some light gray 1.1 oz DWR and that looks good for a double layer.

A while back got some light gray 1.65 oz non treated.
That made a nice hammock. Havnt hit the ground yet.

Indy576
01-28-2010, 13:08
My wife and I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics in the Atlanta area and found several bolts of rip stop nylon. As stated above when you start asking questions about what type it is, weight, whether it's DWR, etc. it's just blank stares. I'm wanting to make an under quilt. Would you use this type of material or am I asking too much out of a local fabric store?

Spock
01-28-2010, 14:20
Almost any ripstop you find at a box store will be Nylon 6 - a garment grade nylon that is half the strength of the Nylon 66 normally used in outdoor gear. Commonly, the weight will be either 1.6 oz/yd, 1.9 oz or 2.2 oz. That said, Nylon 6 stretches less than 66 and makes a good, comfortable hammock with less butt sag. Even though it is not as strong as 66, Nylon 6, even in the lighter 1.6 ounce weight, it is plenty strong and durable for my 230#s. The thing to watch out for is excessive calendaring (ironing) in the JoAnn's fabrics. If the cloth is stiff or shiny, avoid it; it will be too weak.

KerMegan
02-03-2010, 11:31
if you can pull thread(s) from the cut edge it is most likely not sil. just my .02 lira
KM

MondayHopscotch
02-08-2010, 01:20
somewhat off-topic, but i'm new to this, and this seems the best place to ask without starting a new thread (because i'm sure the answer is lying around on here somewhere, i just couldnt find it)

I picked up 3 yards of 1.9oz ripstop from a local fabric store, Denver Fabrics (the lady at joann's actually sent me there due to her lack of knowledge of the ripstop they carried).

They had some PU ripstop as well as some DWR, but no silnylon. What are the benefits/disadvantages of each? Will I be fine just using plain ripstop as compared to one of this relatives?

And one last thing, all the ripstop was in the 'outdoors' section of the store, and it was shinyer on one side and matte on the other -- but the fabric wasn't 'stiff' by any means, it just felt like slightly thicker tent fabric. My guess is it's fine, I haven't hemmed the edges yet, but i did set it up and hung in it for a few minutes yesterday if that's any testament to it's longevity.

tammons
02-08-2010, 01:39
PU is polyurethane coated stuff (I think) typically used for floors. It should be smooth on that side.

Non coated looks the same on both sides.

DWR - durable water resistant is shiney on one side and normal looking on the other. A little slippery but not even close to sil-nylon.

Sil nylon is extremely slippery and shiney on both sides, but it does not look coated like PU. Its almost impossible to hold together by hand, like to sew a seam. You have to pin the snot out of it.

Non coated would breath the best. Not sure about DWR, but I would suspaect it would breath okay too. They use it in down sleeping bags and whatnot.

Dont want to use PU or silnylon for a hammock. Those are good for ground cloths, tarps, flys, raingear, ponchos, WP bags etc.

Ramblinrev
02-08-2010, 05:49
I have never found silnyl at Wallyworld. Got some DWR stuff that made a great tarp. I have made a hammock out of ripstop that I could almost see through. It held my lard butt even with a hole in the fabric. (There is a pic of the hole in my gallery somewhere.) Not the best hammock I ever had/made but it would suffice for a quick overnight. (It did feel like I was on a taffy pull when I first got in but it held.) IMO, unless you are a gram weenie the benefits of silnyl are over rated for most DIY projects. It is a wicked pain to work with and it oozes water water under pressure while DWR usually does not. Just my mumblings. MYOG

Randy
02-08-2010, 06:32
I found some at a walmart Saturday, it was digital camo rip stop,,,, I picked up the whole thing.....at that $1.50 a yard.

I made 2 hammocks Sunday with it. And slept outside last night in mine......
The bigger one is a gathered end, with covers to cover up the fabric knots.....Dang that stuff is light weight,,,,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/thecatfishboat/kayaking/diybh2.jpg