PDA

View Full Version : Ti stakes

tritan
06-30-2017, 20:45
Lost a couple of Shepard hook Ti stakes on a trip I just got back from. Wind picked up the tarp well I was away and never found the painted blue stakes when I got back they must have gone sailing. We search for a long time. I have a few MSR groundhogs I have been using along with the Ti to save weight anything better on the market for Titanium stakes replacements that works well. I have looked at Lawsons J stakes and shepards hooks I like the tighter circle on there model. Last set was from Gossamer Gear and then I painted the heads blue little good that did in losing them.:laugh:

devoncloud
06-30-2017, 22:07
I like dutch's options... I use the nails personally but the ascents are nice too if you want something bigger (super light).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trail Troll
06-30-2017, 22:34
I got the toaks nail style, first trip out I bent two. I think it was my graceful feet, and the whiskey. (I was in the pasture) Beat right back out with no problem, no issues since. I do wanna try some Dutch heavy duty ones. (Apparently I'm rough on some of my gear)

tritan
06-30-2017, 22:42
I will take a look at dutchs items

TxAggie
06-30-2017, 22:43
I've been content with shepherd hooks for basically my entire life, then I got a second-hand HH that included the MSR Y stakes. I didn't want to like them, but......man they just hold so much better.

I kept a couple of Shephards in my bag just in case, but I haven't used them in months.

skyymallcorn
07-01-2017, 03:04
Look at Z Packs carbon fiber. So far so good...

Trail Troll
07-01-2017, 05:46

Do you have any concerns with rocky soil?

Foxpoop
07-01-2017, 06:18
I use the 6.5" Ti from Lawson. Never bent one and I live and camp in rocky terrain. I have also used the Ti nail stakes and like them, too.
As far as losing them, I always drive mine almost flush with the ground and put a decent size rock over each one to add holding power.

skyymallcorn
07-01-2017, 10:54
Do you have any concerns with rocky soil?

Not really. They have a pretty solid aluminum tip.

Slack Packhiker
07-01-2017, 12:42
http://rutalocura.com/Tent_Stakes.html

http://www.litesmith.com/stakes/

Trail Troll
07-01-2017, 23:07
I use the 6.5" Ti from Lawson. Never bent one and I live and camp in rocky terrain. I have also used the Ti nail stakes and like them, too.
As far as losing them, I always drive mine almost flush with the ground and put a decent size rock over each one to add holding power.

I think I only bent them due to the stumbling over the cords. Actually this drove me to get reflect it from Dutch to use on my nail stakes.

I'll have to check some of the carbon fiber out, I like having a variety to choose from. The farm I often camp is a lot of iron ore, is why I asked.

tritan
07-02-2017, 02:41

Doesn't msr make a carbon fiber also. I would be nervous on them breaking if I hit a rock.

tritan
07-02-2017, 02:43

I looked at Larson 6.5 the larger are out of stock.

tritan
07-02-2017, 02:44
http://rutalocura.com/Tent_Stakes.html

http://www.litesmith.com/stakes/

Wow the sorex look sweet but how do they hold up?

skyymallcorn
07-02-2017, 06:04
Doesn't msr make a carbon fiber also. I would be nervous on them breaking if I hit a rock.

Yes MSR makes some but they are expensive. I have had no issue yet hitting rock.

kitsapcowboy
07-02-2017, 09:56
Dutch nails are awesome, especially attached to guy lines.

Also, try Litesmith.com.

tritan
07-02-2017, 10:44
Dutch nails are awesome, especially attached to guy lines.

Also, try Litesmith.com.

I will take a look at litesmith. They have the more round design less opening like a shepards hook.

kitsapcowboy
07-02-2017, 10:56
I will take a look at litesmith. They have the more round design less opening like a shepards hook.Their Meye-Ti stakes are some of my very favorite. Super-tough, feathery (6.5 g each), and surprising in how well they hold. I like them because of how easy they are to drive in during out relatively long dry summers, when the soil can really turn to hardpan.

tritan
07-02-2017, 11:00
Their Meye-Ti stakes are some of my very favorite. Super-tough, feathery (6.5 g each), and surprising in how well they hold. I like them because of how easy they are to drive in during out relatively long dry summers, when the soil can really turn to hardpan.

Makes sense. Seems like most are mixing it up between MSR hogs and TI /carbon for best holding power and light weight.

MikekiM
07-02-2017, 17:50
I carry five mini groundhogs and three Ti shepherd hooks. Haven't bent one of the minis yet. Surprised.

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk

DrPhun
07-02-2017, 18:07
I got the Dutch tarphooks so the guy line and hook stay attached to the stake and pack separately from the tarp. They attach to bunny loops on the tarp tieouts. Main benefit is they make it tougher to lose the stakes.

tritan
07-03-2017, 00:09
I got the Dutch tarphooks so the guy line and hook stay attached to the stake and pack separately from the tarp. They attach to bunny loops on the tarp tieouts. Main benefit is they make it tougher to lose the stakes.

Nice idea.

schillke
07-06-2017, 12:45
I have the Vargo ascent's from dutch. I did bend one a little after inserting it into the ground (it is still plenty usable), but other than that they have been good!

Carbon fiber interests me...

Slack Packhiker
07-06-2017, 13:01
Tritan, I haven't used the Sorex very often but they appear substantial, and no problem yet.

Kips right about the litesmith stakes being great in hard soil. I've been using them this past week in soil that's hard and dry, interspersed with some super fluffy but dry soil, composted with decaying mulch.

The litesmith's are easy to drive into the ground (with 64 y/o female hands) and grip the ground very nicely.

T- Minus
07-06-2017, 14:58
Papa smurf over at DreamHammock makes Ti stakes,http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.html#!/Tent-Stakes/p/52670790/category=4019214152169