PDA

View Full Version : Hammocks For Haiti

gargoyle
01-25-2010, 20:32
To all my freinds in the HF community...

As you all know the Haitian community was devastated by an earthquake. We are in contact with a orphanage in Haiti, run by an incredibly giving young lady, Mallery Thurlow. She has e-mailed us in need of hammocks, tarps and mosquito netting. Of course she is swamped with many needs, but she asked us for these things and I happen to know some great folks here who have those items, or know how to make them!! :thumbup1:

If you would like to clean out the gear closet, or bust out your thread injector, it would be awesome. Small hammocks are in order for the kids. Mosquitoes are eating people up, and carrying diseases. Mosquito netting is the answer. If you would like to donate fabric, great. We can do the work here.

http://haitifoundation.com/ Mallery's website about the orphanage. She also has an interview on here when she was leaving to return to Haiti, after the earthquake. There's a paypal site there for donations, if you would like. Her website is pre-earthquake, but I'll try to put up some recent pics when I get them.

Getting donated items down to Haiti is going to be handled by me. I will collect any items and send them down. We are working with a airplane pilot to co-ordinate this effort.

Send donated items to:

Global Embrace Missions
P.O. Box 13
Middleville MI 49333

We also made some woven plastic mats from those silly plastic bags you get at the store. We cut them into strips and crochet or knit them into functional sleeping mats. (Here are some pics from the Dominican Republic orphanage, my family has been working with the past 2 years. Haiti and the DR share the same island.)
Before we made these the kids were sleeping on the floor.
As you can see, the mats are popular. :D And we are recycling a product otherwise destined for the landfill.:thumbup: But we could use your help with these also. The mats work great and don't collect bugs and can be washed clean easily.

Thank you HF community,and the mods for this opportunity.
Sincerely, Gargoyle.

vitamaltz
01-25-2010, 20:54
I've been thinking about this since the quake. I'm glad you're doing something more than thinking... Obviously this doesn't have to be UL hiking gear. Do you think blue picnic tarps are the best bang for the buck? If so there's not much to do to make a whole kit - cheap fabric into a knotted hammock, some tie outs from the tarp gusset, and an organza bugnet would do the trick, right? What I'm wondering about is suspension. Once again, it wouldn't need to be too lightweight. What would they hang the suspension from? The lack of trees and solid structures might be a problem.

What about some kind of huge tarp that could give a roof for 5 or 6 kids in hammocks? Just thinking out loud (in print).

clearskyblue
01-25-2010, 21:03
Excellent post Gargoyle sending a little money from England is probably the best one can do here.If I lived closer I'd imagine it being so rewarding helping out there.Those poor children its terrible.

It did cross my mind that in auwful times like this hammocks and tarps aswell as the knowledge of how to best use this gear is literally a life saver.I did think about how useful the hammock concept could be for these poor people.

Good luck with getting this hammock lifeline off the ground oops that was a little pun to end on a positive.:)

Harpo63
01-25-2010, 21:19
She has e-mailed us in need of hammocks, tarps and mosquito netting. Of course she is swamped with many needs, but she asked us for these things

Last week I half jokingly thought, send some hammocks! Wasn't sure what they would hang them to with all the devastation. But if they are ASKING for hammocks, they must have plenty of places to hang outside the destruction zone.

Other than giving a chunk of change to disaster relief already, Im feeling pretty helpless... This would be a good start...

MacEntyre
01-25-2010, 21:22
I can make three or four hammocks with material I have on hand, but not until next week.

- MacEntyre

opie
01-25-2010, 21:28
PM sent.....

MacEntyre
01-25-2010, 21:55
Just thinking... this could be a wonderful use for $1.50/yard, lightweight, WalMart ripstop, er, Fabric of Unknown Content. For $22 you can grab a 15 yard remnant and make five hammocks. Add suspension and they are ready to hang.

How many of these do you suppose the HF DIYs could turn out in a week?

:confused:

vitamaltz
01-25-2010, 21:59
That's a great idea MacEntyre. I got a WalMart gift card for Christmas but I feel conflicted about shopping there. For this purpose I would, though.

gargoyle
01-25-2010, 22:24
If so there's not much to do to make a whole kit - cheap fabric into a knotted hammock, some tie outs from the tarp gusset, and an organza bugnet would do the trick, right? What I'm wondering about is suspension.
What would they hang the suspension from? The lack of trees and solid structures might be a problem.

What about some kind of huge tarp that could give a roof for 5 or 6 kids in hammocks? Just thinking out loud (in print).

As luck would have it I have a freind from church flying down next week (Feb 2nd) to do some building, etc. He can check on the trees and structure situation. Crazy how things are falling into place....

Big tarps, small tarps, ccf pads, anything you can offer that would be better than sleeping on the ground.

Smaller sized hammocks for little kids will work, so some knotted 40 wide will do. And something for a suspension.

leroybrown
01-25-2010, 22:29
We can't stop at DIY hammocks and tarps though. The netting, mosquito netting is the key. I am so glad this post has gone out; could you include plans for the plastic bag mat?

I worked in an orphanage for a year and a half in Guatemala and hammocks would have worked PERFECTLY. I am really excited to be involved with this project. If the best way for me to help is finances, that is fine just please let me know.

LB

nacra533
01-25-2010, 22:44
I've been away from the forums for awhile. I think last time I was here the whoopie sling discussion was going strong. I guess timing was right because I just came across another pile of sil for XTRA cheap and have a few "test" hammocks I would love to donate. I tuned in again to find some info on the "reptilian dermal layers" (I think that is what we were calling the patented "snake skins" then).

What do you suggest? Give us a wish list if you will.

Hammocks with rope suspension??
Bugnets ala ENO style??
Draping bugnets like you see at army surplus stores??
hammocks with bugnets on them???

Harpo63
01-25-2010, 22:44
Anyone got instructions to making a simple gathered end hammock? That could make it easier for people to look at and realize its not that hard at all and help this cause?- Especially kid sizes

vitamaltz
01-25-2010, 22:53
Especially kid sizes

That's what I was thinking - I don't know what size hammock is comfortable for a kid and I don't have any around to test.

gargoyle
01-25-2010, 22:57
Beds from Bags (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj8OUh4bG8k&feature=related) is asite that was mentioned earlier in '09, thats where I got the idea. A member here reported using one in his cross-country cycle/hammock adventure. (not sure who?)

I figured I couldn't find the 'milkbags' in Michigan, so I improvised with those plastic grocery store bags. The video should explain most of the process, as long as you know how to knit or crochet. Locally, we are getting more and more retirement communities/churches involved. Also had some donated plastic ribbon on a roll, which works great and saves a lot of time..no cutting and tying the plastic together.

The youtube link will give you more examples of bag cutting and tying, easier than me trying to explain. But you show this to those ol' blue hairs and they go crazy.:laugh: And its a great cause.

ooopps, I found it. Rug, you rascal, you got this started...http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9383&highlight=bents

Cannibal
01-25-2010, 23:15
Great thread! Maybe a silly question, but do they have safe places to hang right now? I'm totally down with a little Hammock Aide.

MacEntyre
01-26-2010, 02:20
Anyone got instructions to making a simple gathered end hammock? That could make it easier for people to look at and realize its not that hard at all and help this cause?- Especially kid sizes
Full size hammock:

Cut 3 yards of nylon that is 60" wide
hem all four edges
sew a channel in each end (optional)
thread a 1" cord of 1/8" braided nylon through each end channel, cinch up and tie with fisherman's knot (or whip the ends if no channel)
sew loops on each end of 8' of webbing
larks head each loop below the gathered ends of hammock

Kid size hammocks are just shorter... probably no shorter than two yards, though.

Dutch
01-26-2010, 08:05
I'd like to help with this also. Is there a deadline for when the hammocks are needed. I'm crushed this week, but next week I bet I could hammer out a couple. Walmart often has sheer material that could be used for bugnetting. I don't use it because it isn't as strong. Great idea

Mrprez
01-26-2010, 08:29
What kind of material would be good for a hammock that would not allow a skeeter to bite through the fabric? Also, what would be a good length for a tie hammock?

MacEntyre
01-26-2010, 08:42
What kind of material would be good for a hammock that would not allow a skeeter to bite through the fabric?
That's a good question... I would think that whatever it is, it is likely too hot for Haiti... but I have no idea, really.

Also, what would be a good length for a tie hammock?
This I know... if you mean a gathered end hammock. For adults, 3 yards long is a minimum, IMHO. The next one I make for myself is going to be 3.75 or 4 yards. Also, I don't know why a kid can't sleep in an adult sized hammock, then the hammock can be used by anyone.

gargoyle
01-26-2010, 08:43
What do you suggest? Give us a wish list if you will.

Hammocks with rope suspension??
Bugnets ala ENO style??
Draping bugnets like you see at army surplus stores??
hammocks with bugnets on them???

Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/nets.html Some suggestions.

Netting of any kind was at the top of her list. Military style mosquito bars would be excellent. Just your basic toule or nylon mesh that could be used for mossy nets will work.
As far as a specific wish list..I just put myself in their shoes, and try to think of things that I would need.

Netting (Bug net for the hammock, attached or not, mossy bar or bulk netting, etc.)
CCF pads
Hammocks with suspension
Sleeping Mats from bags
Of course, water and food are at the top of this list. Hopefully the rescue efforts can provide these. I think it may be a good idea to suggest a water filter on the wish list! I'm sure a filter would be a neccessity.

gargoyle
01-26-2010, 09:03
Dutch, No time limit..It appears we may take a load down in July!!! Personally!!
The lightweight stuff will do, Dutch, good idea. Also, those simple headnets would provide relief.

John (MrPrez), Unless its double layer, which would be way to warm, I can't think of any single layer fabric that would be better than others. Any fabric can work, gottta hit up wal-mart and see whats available, the $1.00 bin would be ideal. Netting sock and hammock?

Mac, the size of the hammock was something the girls from the orphanage suggested..I felt the same way, one size fits most, but I was trying to accomadate her needs. 5 foot of fabric and gather and larkshead. Done. But I agree with you on this, but she has around 75 toddlers to 15 yr old kids, so I see where size could be an issue.

NCPatrick
01-26-2010, 09:10
Great thread! Maybe a silly question, but do they have safe places to hang right now? I'm totally down with a little Hammock Aide.
I am too. I think this could be a good idea. I have heard rumors for years that Haiti has largely been deforested as the destitute have foraged for fuel to burn. Is this rumor true? I have no idea. Where are all these hammocks going to hang? Are any walls left standing by the earthquake safe enough to hang from? Are we outfitting a standing orphanage, some kind of camp? I'm not understanding it so far, and am just curious.

Mrprez
01-26-2010, 09:12
I just found some Atlanco Mosquito Bars for $10 each. I have a call in the see how many they have.

Ed Speer has some 1" webbing on his clearance page for $2/30ft. This would be ideal for the hammock suspensions. Simple to tie off to the support structure and to the hammock.

vitamaltz
01-26-2010, 09:33
Even the tulle at the local fabric shops should work fine for mossies. The holes are too big to protect against no-seeums, but that's not the concern.

gargoyle
01-26-2010, 09:42
I am too. I think this could be a good idea. I have heard rumors for years that Haiti has largely been deforested as the destitute have foraged for fuel to burn. Is this rumor true? I have no idea. Where are all these hammocks going to hang? Are any walls left standing by the earthquake safe enough to hang from? Are we outfitting a standing orphanage, some kind of camp? I'm not understanding it so far, and am just curious.

Okay, I can tell you what I know and try to find more info as it develops.
Deforested land..yes. They still have trees, tho.
Safe to hang? I don't know for sure, as stated earlier I have a freind ( a construction recue team member) heading down soon . He is going to check things out.
As we all know, if there is a will, there is a way to hang a hammock!:thumbup::tongueup:

The Orphanage of which WE are trying to help is an established orphanage. http://haitifoundation.com/ from what I heard, she is located just North of Port-au-Prince, in Cite Soleil (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=port%20au%20prince&rlz=1R2GGIE_enUS328&aql=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl).
I do know the house/structure that was used to house volunteers was demolished. Information is coming thru, and I do know Mallery is taking in kids still. Many kids that have lost their families. And I'm sure it has become a 'tent city', due to the fact people are scared to go into the homes, which is understandable. Last word I had was the orphanage is standing.

NCPatrick
01-26-2010, 09:49
Thanks for the details! I'll dig through my stuff and see what I can come up with to donate.

Harpo63
01-26-2010, 09:51
And I'm sure it has become a 'tent city'

Heaven Forbid! We need to set up a Hammock City! Its time to pull out those plans for multiple hammock stands!

Im wondering if places like that will be relocating to other less damaged areas temporarily while they clean up and rebuild?

MacEntyre
01-26-2010, 09:59
Just thinknin' agin'... Haiti is a place where a HH with stock tarp, all in SnakeSkins, would shine! It would be a Presidential Palace Hammock!

Maybe someone should put a bug in Mr. H's ear...

Running Feather
01-26-2010, 10:00
I'll be able to sew up some hammocks next week. I just received lots of "WalMart ripstop, er, Fabric of Unknown Content". I guess there's a reason for everything ;)

Mrprez
01-26-2010, 10:03
Just thinknin' agin'... Haiti is a place where a HH with stock tarp, all in SnakeSkins, would shine! It would be a Presidential Palace Hammock!

You can get a free Scout with purchase of ULBA or Explorer UL.

gargoyle
01-26-2010, 10:04
The logistics of relocations are going to be extremely difficult.

Before the earthquake, the local infrastructure was not that good. Fresh water, food, housing, power and utilities were already maxed out. Haiti is the poorest country in the world. Relocate millions of folks to where?? The terrain and environment can only support so many. As mentioned, most of the land has been stripped of trees, (do a google satelite map search of Haiti) it is quite obvious.
Haiti (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rlz=1R2GGIE_enUS328&q=haiti&aql=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Harpo63
01-26-2010, 10:09

Umm, I dont know... it would be hard to comfort a kid or provide medical/food attention/check up on them by popping thru the bottom opening! (Peek-a-
Boo!) Missionary friends in africa (wherever bugs are a issue in the tropics) say that bug nets are the best, especially the kind a care worker can walk into and console a kid.

Outside of that, yes, the HH was made for that kind of climate

gargoyle
01-26-2010, 10:20
From the Haiti Foundation website: Facility where the volunteers stayed.
http://haitifoundation.com/guesthouse.jpg

After the earthquake:
http://haitifoundation.com/guesthouse_collapsed.jpg

Down state nate
01-26-2010, 10:30
Hello gargoyle your post about Haiti compelled me to join the forum. I'm near middlevilleand would be happy to help with diy hammocks but could use some help with adding bug netting to a hammock. As for fabric I'd be willing to bet the ladies at Fields would be willing to give us a nice discount if we tell them what this is for. They dont have much in the way of ripstop but thay do have lots of polyester taffeta, I tried it for my first test hammock and it seemed to be quite tough.

Iafte
01-26-2010, 10:38
i posted a link to this on grand trunks facebook. I should be able to sew some next week.

headchange4u
01-26-2010, 10:56

Just Jeff's site has a great tutorial (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html) for making hammocks.

gargoyle
01-26-2010, 10:59
Welcome aboard, down state nate, glad your here.

Captain
01-26-2010, 12:13
This a good thing here, I will see what I can find to help. I would rather send equipment than money. :)

Jodster
01-26-2010, 12:28
I may be able to get a supply of rope that a local supplier makes. He makes utility rope but he also makes quite a bit of that black cord for lawnmower and snowblower pull starts. I've used some of that for my last couple hammocks and it seems very strong. I would be willing to see what I can get from him if someone can give me an idea of how much would be needed.

I think the last roll I got was 200' for $10. Let me know and I'll drop in and see him.

opie
01-26-2010, 13:23
Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/nets.html Some suggestions.

Netting of any kind was at the top of her list. Military style mosquito bars would be excellent. Just your basic toule or nylon mesh that could be used for mossy nets will work.
As far as a specific wish list..I just put myself in their shoes, and try to think of things that I would need.

Netting (Bug net for the hammock, attached or not, mossy bar or bulk netting, etc.)
CCF pads
Hammocks with suspension
Sleeping Mats from bags
Of course, water and food are at the top of this list. Hopefully the rescue efforts can provide these. I think it may be a good idea to suggest a water filter on the wish list! I'm sure a filter would be a neccessity.

Gargoyle.. I will also swing by the local MPX and see what they have for stock on the mosquito nets.

vitamaltz
01-26-2010, 13:28
I've been driving this morning and thinking about the netting issue. Obviously, that's the most critical. Sleeping on the floor is uncomfortable and sleeping in the rain sucks, but malaria is a killer. Like someone else said, it'd be best to have the netting so that someone can walk into a netted "room". Also, this is an entire temporary home, not just a bed, so it'd be awesome if the netting was up even when the hammock was down. AngrySparrow, have there ever been any discussions about netting draped from the perimeter of a tarp?

angrysparrow
01-26-2010, 13:37
AngrySparrow, have there ever been any discussions about netting draped from the perimeter of a tarp?

Not that I recall.

But, if you look at the JRB Hammock Hut tarp design (pics here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=62101&postcount=10) and here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=62661&postcount=29)), it seems that netting could be added in that fashion to a diamond fly. Imagine netting in place of the fabric walls. Of course it might be simpler to just sew flat pieces to the edges of a rectangular tarp.

Gailainne
01-26-2010, 13:48
Mossie or midge tarps seem to be fairly simple in design, here's two

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?17567-How-to-make-a-Midge-Tarp&highlight=midge+netting

http://www.wildnisabenteuer.de/gear/dtarp.htm

There's also the lifesystems type which can hang from a single or multipoint above.

vitamaltz
01-26-2010, 14:05
Nice! The HF archivist took 9 minutes to supply a reply with links! Thank AS; you're even better than Google.

Not that I recall.

But, if you look at the JRB Hammock Hut tarp design (pics here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=62101&postcount=10) and here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=62661&postcount=29)), it seems that netting could be added in that fashion to a diamond fly. Imagine netting in place of the fabric walls. Of course it might be simpler to just sew flat pieces to the edges of a rectangular tarp.

turtlelady
01-26-2010, 14:31
Just got a notice that the package of seconds ripstop nylon from Scott is on it's way. I can use this to sew up hammocks for the hammocks for Haiti project, as soon as we have a clearer picture of what is the optimal way to make them. Are we looking at a scenario of get something, anything there fast for now, and then a more co-ordinated project with fine tuning later?

gargoyle
01-26-2010, 14:40
Nice! The HF archivist took 9 minutes to supply a reply with links! Thank AS; you're even better than Google.

SSHHH, a little hammock forum secret..AS is Google. ;)

gargoyle
01-26-2010, 15:02
Turtlelady, this effort is certainly a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kinda thing. I appreciate all the input and ideas. And I'm open to more ideas..so feel free, we are a community and this is a community effort.

I would love to send lots of stuff down right away, but that doesn't seem possible. As things arrive, I will stockpile and move them along.

These things take time and getting a couple thousand 'hammockheads' rallied around the cause via the internet will take a bit. Buying supplies, sewing and shipping, etc. will take time.

As far as what style hammock or how-to info, I'll leave that up to individual donor. Any thing has to be better than the present situation in Haiti.

I am completely new to this fund-drive thing, so it will be a learning curve for me too. All I know is that I had a heartfelt moment and shared it with the HF community. We will play it by ear and see what shows up, if you have suggestions..great I'm all ears (and stomach:lol:;)).
I knew of a need and I knew of an answer to that need, I had the appropriate contacts, both in Haiti and here on the Forum.:boggle:

Dutch
01-26-2010, 15:26
Just Jeff's site has a great tutorial (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html) for making hammocks.

I was thinking that Jeff's hammock would be a good way we could make the same basic design. It is simple and many of us already have made them as our first diy hammock.

MacEntyre
01-26-2010, 17:06
I just bought enough $1.50 FoUC (aka ripstop) from WM for 14 full size hammocks, plus 20 yards of some kind of lightweight white mesh that will make mosquito netting. Thing1 and I will get to work on Monday!

Gargoyle, what length do you think we should use for kid's hammocks? Is 2 yards too short?

BillyBob58
01-26-2010, 17:58
PM sent......................

sandykayak
01-26-2010, 17:59
I have a HUGE piece of netting that I stitched together years ago - it's been used over the stern of a sailboat and to cover a mini-van. With the addition of some loops it could be hung and several kids could fit underneath.

I also have 10 - 20 yards of wally-ripstop.

What I don't have is time. I'd be happy to ship the fabric to anyone who can volunteer to make the hammocks. PM me at sandykayak at yahoo dot com

It would be great if someone at the receiving end could build hammock stands. Perhaps someone from HF could send instructions and pictures. Hopefully, they can find the wood...or even PVC pipes or metal pipes.

Harpo63
01-26-2010, 18:05
It would be great if someone at the receiving end could build hammock stands. Perhaps someone from HF could send instructions and pictures. Hopefully, they can find the wood...or even PVC pipes or metal pipes.

concrete should be available down there. If they can get posts they can put concrete in the ground and set up alot of posts.

MacEntyre
01-26-2010, 18:07
Somehow I think the people of the Caribbean can figure out a way to hang a hammock.

Harpo63
01-26-2010, 18:08
Im one of the supervisors at a School for the Deaf up here that wants to help Haiti. We have a dormitory and I just spoke with some dorm staff (we got 4 sewing machines here to teach students independent living skills) about Hammocks for Haiti and they are excited and want to make hammocks- Using Just Jeffs pictorial instructions. Got to find some nylon at least and get the students involved!

MacEntyre
01-26-2010, 18:10
Got to find some nylon at least and get the students involved!
See post #51 just above yours... SandyKayak will send you some nylon!

gargoyle
01-26-2010, 18:38
I just bought enough $1.50 FoUC (aka ripstop) from WM for 14 full size hammocks, plus 20 yards of some kind of lightweight white mesh that will make mosquito netting. Thing1 and I will get to work on Monday!

Gargoyle, what length do you think we should use for kid's hammocks? Is 2 yards too short?

Excellent Mac, 2 yards should work for the little guys. As soon as I get some pics loaded, we can see them in their hanging glory. Tell Thing 1 thanks.

gargoyle
01-26-2010, 18:42
What I don't have is time. I'd be happy to ship the fabric to anyone who can volunteer to make the hammocks. PM me at sandykayak at yahoo dot com

Send your donated items (fabric included) to the address in my signature. I will do the sewing here. I appreciate the contribution, no matter what it is.

gargoyle
01-26-2010, 18:45
Im one of the supervisors at a School for the Deaf up here that wants to help Haiti. We have a dormitory and I just spoke with some dorm staff (we got 4 sewing machines here to teach students independent living skills) about Hammocks for Haiti and they are excited and want to make hammocks- Using Just Jeffs pictorial instructions. Got to find some nylon at least and get the students involved!

Harpo thats great, the fabric does not neccessarily need to be sil., some good taffeta will work. Got to take some pics of those kids sewing!:cool:

gargoyle
01-26-2010, 18:47
concrete should be available down there. If they can get posts they can put concrete in the ground and set up alot of posts.

Exactly what I was thinking. The soil is terrible down there, more coral and rocks. Concrete posts will be good.

Harpo63
01-26-2010, 18:52
Send your donated items (fabric included) to the address in my signature. I will do the sewing here. I appreciate the contribution, no matter what it is.

Gargoyle- I was going to contact sandykayak as suggested by Mac, then I saw your post...do you want the stuff from sandykayak sent to you still or want the kids here to use that to sew? I dont care... its all for a good cause!

gargoyle
01-26-2010, 18:55
go for it Harpo, it would be an excellent way to use the donated fabrics and teach kids.
SandyK did you read this?

pgibson
01-26-2010, 19:06
Hey Gargoyle, Arrowhead is in for a spool of 7/64 amsteel, Redden is in of 1 or 2 and they are going to hit Samson up for any help they may be able to through in.

Suspensions taken care of for a bunch of hammocks

Also, Mac on the kid ones at least for little kids-baby to toddlers up to 3 or so, The Bushman Hammock Chair would work well and stretch the fabric a little farther. Cut 60" wide fabric at 48" intervals, hem all edges and then make small channels on the 48" sides. Yah it is small but it is plenty of room for my 3 year old to lay down in. Whipping or knotting will use up a bit more fabric than the channels so you can get away with cutting it this wide for little kids. I have some grey uncoated 1.1 that latter in the week I can get going on these little ones.

Let me know if I can do anything else Gargoyle.

gargoyle
01-26-2010, 19:22
Great news Paul thanks.

Harpo63
01-26-2010, 19:31
Sandykayak is sending the materials over to us at the school to sew hammocks. Cool. Im going to follow Jeffs tutorial with pics. easy for the kids to follow.

A couple questions...

Any instructions on making the netting material? suggestions?

We got nylon and netting coming. If anyone has whipping material they want to send, pm me.

Should we add ridgelines?

Definitely will take pics of the kids working on that!

Shug
01-26-2010, 19:56
This is terrific stuff ....... I ma doing a benefit soon but would like to add something to this as well. Will look and see what when I get home........
Shug

vitamaltz
01-26-2010, 20:19
I know a certain Walmart that has true olive green sil for $1.50! I'm not sure how many yards there are, but I'll pass by it on the way home from Mt. Rogers and I'll buy them out. Normally there would be more cost-effective materials for this purpose, but I doubt I'm gonna be able to find much better than that.

NCPatrick
01-26-2010, 20:25
If anyone has whipping material they want to send, pm me.
Can we whip them with zip ties? That's how I make mine for myself. Think anyone will mind?

vitamaltz
01-26-2010, 21:37
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/world/americas/22haiti.html

The photo at the top of the article shows the local topography, current shelters, and the wood that's being used to support the tarps. Most of the article deals with the shelter issue.

nacra533
01-26-2010, 21:42
Mossie or midge tarps seem to be fairly simple in design, here's two

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?17567-How-to-make-a-Midge-Tarp&highlight=midge+netting

http://www.wildnisabenteuer.de/gear/dtarp.htm

There's also the lifesystems type which can hang from a single or multipoint above.

If someone has experience doing something like this or good DIY design and could post a couple drawings/tutorial for a net/tarp, this seems like an ideal project to begin a coordinated effort with. If nothing else, it will keep the mosquitos off of them.

My guess is before long, "Shelterbox" and other similar disaster relief tents/boxes will start showing up once the civic clubs start getting in gear and can get relief in. I know Rotary Club (both my local club and Rotary International) are supporters of Shelterbox and Lifestraw for exactly this type of relief effort.

BrianWillan
01-26-2010, 22:20
According to the NY Times article linked above, UN troops from Brazil are leveling ground in preparation for the construction of a tent city.

I realize that the original contact person in Haiti requested hammocks, but unless there is sufficient places to hang hammocks, wouldn't tents be a more practical solution? Shelter Systems has relief dome tents of size large enough to sleep many people and are ready to ship to disaster areas.

http://www.shelter-systems.com/relieftents/index.html

Perhaps this would be a more viable solution for the displaced people in Haiti.

Cheers

Brian

MacEntyre
01-26-2010, 23:51
Perhaps this would be a more viable solution for the displaced people in Haiti.
Gargoyle has a specific request for hammocks, Brian!

gargoyle
01-27-2010, 08:56
I don't care what it is that folks want to send for the relief effort..tents, tarps, money,...it will all go to the people and they can decide what to do with it!!

I brought up the idea of hammocks because thats what we do! Hammocks are the bread and butter of why we are all here. PERIOD.

If anyone feels that they have something, anything to offer, no matter how trivial, I'm open to discuss it, here or via a PM. Or just send it.

I saw a news report where looters in Haiti found a bag of bouncy balls?? The people were going crazy and fighting over bouncy balls?? When you have nothing, everything is of value.

Old tents, tarps, hammocks...I'm not going to put limits on what folks want to contribute, if you think its a good idea, send it!

Brian, those are awesome shelters. Can you sew a few of those up??;):D

Dutch
01-27-2010, 09:04
I checked out my walmart and tehy have a very good supply of digital camo right now. I think it is about 3 ounces per yard, but it will work well for this. If anyone doesn't have access to cheap material but still want to sew let me know and I will get you some.

sandykayak
01-27-2010, 12:13
Turns out I have 3 pieces of wally-uncoated totaling 29 yards - 4 (60" w), 12 (64" w, 13 68") can't find the card I wrote it on, but this is close. As someone else mentioned, I think cutting it across the width will be more productive.

However, the temps are in the high 80s now and I'm concerned that these might be uncomfortable. NOt that we shouldn't send them, but perhaps we need to look into alternative fabrics.

I have quite a few yards of brightly colored printed rayons (from when I made and sold sarongs in the Key Largo flea market!), that I'm going to include. As long as the fabric is cut on the straight (and not on the diagonal) it should stretch too much - I hope. On second thought, just send them the fabric and let the women cut/tear their own wrap-arounds...OHMYGOD....I have LOTS (80+?) ready-made sarongs that are ideal for warm weather...and they are in gorgeous tropical prints that will fit their lifestyle and cheer them up.

I'm thinking as I write....Miami-DAde County send out a notice that certain public entities (libraries was one) are accepting items and I was planning to give them my brand new (only set it up once to see if I could do it solo!) one bedroom plus screen room - ab 7' high tent. Plus I'll check out some others (I recently donated about 4 small tents to Goodwill!).

It will be prohibitively (and pointless, really) for me to pay huge shipping costs so I will look around for an org that has a Miami location (we have a large Haitian community) where I can drop them off. back to the hammocks..

I grew up in Venezuela and slept in a hammock on many occasions. South American hammocks are usually made of woven cotton (sometimes polyester string) either with or without holes - think Mayan hammocks.

What I'm wondering is whether (and perhaps someone else knows the answer) if anyone is planning to buy new fabric, we shouldn't look into cotton (or polycotton) for a cooler sleep.

Now I have to dig around the garage to look for that netting. I would suggest sending it one piece as it good be draped over several children in hammocks - or on mats.

gargoyle PM'd me and the package will go to the school for the deaf in New York: win-win-win situation.

MacEntyre
01-27-2010, 12:25
...wondering ...look into cotton (or polycotton) for a cooler sleep.
WM has lots of cotton and polycotton...

gargoyle
01-27-2010, 12:35
sandykayak, good point on the shipping cost..
If anyone wants to donate items, they can also take them to their local Red Cross. I'm not positive, but I think the Red Cross will disperse the items to Haiti for you. Lots of local efforts for relief are in place. If the cost of shipping is prohibitive, take your donations to a local relief site..
Great Idea.

Harpo63
01-27-2010, 12:47
WM has lots of cotton and polycotton...

That does make sense... using cotton... or mayan style hammocks. We'll make what we can with the given material- As Im not an expert in DIY hammocks, please advise if certain materials should not be used or what kind of cotton material should be used.

sandykayak
01-27-2010, 16:01
Most of the major NGOs (non-govt. orgs) ie red cross - want money. They can buy things in huge quantities for good prices. clothing, blankets etc. require a lot of sorting.

However, the smaller groups are probably the best way to go. It's just a matter of finding them. Our current hammock project is perfect because they have requested hammocks and can distribute them.

I emailed a contact in the Miami Herald because I had seen (but not saved) a list of orgs and she said. Wait - for my sarongs, which are clothing.

One other thing, I thought of. They are used to hanging hammocks with plain ol' ropes. don't need fancy suspensions etc. but do need a hole/loop through which to pass the ropes. we would really need to provide ropes as well. I have a pair that came with a venezuelan string hammock that i will send with the fabric and will check through the kayaking supplies.

I think we could inexpensively buy and donate packages of plastic (!) or whatever rope available in wal-mart, home depot etc.

i know i've seen a site that sells mosquito nets. i'm sure it had to do with buying nets to donate to needy countries. perhaps someone can have some fun googling?

ideally, if we could find a wholesaler (or manufacturer) of mosquito nets who would give us a special price since it's for Haiti donations, we could pass the hat - sort of like a group buy. could HF use their paypal account for this without screwing up their accounting?

I think we need to send the whole package: hammock, ropes, mosquito netting.

ref103
01-27-2010, 17:43
GI Type Mosquito Netting
$21.95 -- GI Type Mosquito Netting. GI Type Mosquito Netting 20 yards x 60" wide

Purchase GI Type Mosquito Netting

GI Type Mosquito Netting 8089 G.I. TYPE MOSQUITO NETTING

20YD X 60"
Polypropylene
Polybagged
http://www.vtarmynavy.com/gi-type-mosquito-netting.htm

would this work for mosquito netting for you? i was going to buy it and send it to you but i want to make sure it will work first. sorry i didn't know how to put the link to take you right to it.

ref103
01-27-2010, 17:44
oh. i guess i did it right . anyways i think this would be ok.

gargoyle
01-27-2010, 18:08
Ref, that netting will work fine. To save on shipping, you can have it sent directly to the hammocks for haiti below. Thanks so much.

sandykayak
01-27-2010, 18:13
wow...$22 for 20 yards. I like the green color of the first one (117, I think) and the fact that it's soft but it's only 200 holes per ??? sq inch???

in a conversation with Seth ? from Trek Light Gear (when I wrote saying that I find visibility not good with the white netting they are using in their new bug nets) and asked whether it was no see 'um mesh. he said that there are many varieties so he just put the number and it was 525, I think.

http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=219 click on the specs

the second one in the military site is 500/525 but it is medium thickness and it sounds like a roll I bought a long time ago and is totally unsuitable for hammocks. better for window screening.

to go this route requires a lot of cutting and sewing. There are ready-made mosquito nets in lots of village stores in south america - made in china, I'm sure. that's more of what I had in mind.

BTW, I didn't mean to take over on the netting thing, so hope I haven't trodden on anyone's toes. In fact, I was only throwing out an idea.

sandykayak
01-27-2010, 18:26
I googled mosquito nets for Africa and found a lot of sites.

I emailed http://www.projectmosquitonet.org/

and explained what we were trying to do and asked if they could point me to their source. On the home page it says $5 per net (on another site I had seen $10 so I went with this one), but then I saw a crawler along the top that says "For $10......"

gargoyle
01-27-2010, 19:21
Perma Net has done some nets for 3rd world locations.http://www.vestergaard-frandsen.com/permanet2-0.htm They have an office in VA.?

I'll try to e-mail them, see about prices, shipping, and min. quantity

gargoyle
01-29-2010, 17:19
Okay, bad news first, perma net says they dont sell in quantities less than 1,000. And they basically ship in freight containers directly to the countries in need.

But on the other hand , perma net says they have already donated a lot of nets to Haiti, :cool: So they get a plus sign in my book. Quick response and a giving spirit.:thumbup1:

More good news and I'm totally stoked!!!! Packages began arriving today:boggle: I can not believe the generosity that this project has recieved. This is such a great community.

And the shipping thing is working out excellently. I can drop off all the donated items near here at Mallery's church, and they will ship them directly to her orphanage. :thumbup1::thumbup::thumbup1::thumbup::thumbup1:

cwayman1
01-29-2010, 19:06
Hey gargoyle! Man, this is a GREAT opportunity for someone to start helping! Count me in! The one walmart (that I know of) close to me that carries 1.50 fabric is getting rid of that department =/ but I will head over there next chance I get and see what fabric they have left. I really hope I can find some!

-cwayman1

X-Lem
01-29-2010, 19:41
Gargoyle, awesome of you to head this project.

For those of us who are still sewing challenged or short on spare time here are some options:

Amazon - All kinds of hammocks for under $20
Amazon - Ultra force hammock $17
http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Force-Olive-Drab-Hammock/dp/B000CP17CS/ref=sr_1_141?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1264809388&sr=1-141

Amazon - Travel hammock $18
http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Hammock-Ultralight-Forest-Green/dp/B001AIHB76/ref=sr_1_163?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1264809705&sr=1-163#productPromotions

Amazon - Ultra Force hammock with netting and raincover - $37
http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-R2361-Olive-Jungle-Hammock/dp/B000OZ0FKQ/ref=sr_1_231?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1264810226&sr=1-231#moreAboutThisProduct

Sierra Trading Post has these Rattlers bug nets for under $20. Sale ends Feb. 1. Even cheaper if you get their coupon link via email.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4264,2340V_Rattlers-Bug-Out-Cot-Cover.html

Alps foam sleeping mat at rei outlet - $18
http://www.rei.com/product/783023

And some tents for those areas that can't hang.
walmart - $15 5x4 kids dome tent
http://www.walmart.com/ip/5-x-4-Kids-Dome-Tent-Blue-Camouflage/13262106

walmart - $32 9x8 tent
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-9-x-8-Dome-Tent/10993395

Gracadruid
01-29-2010, 19:46
I've been driving this morning and thinking about the netting issue. Obviously, that's the most critical. Sleeping on the floor is uncomfortable and sleeping in the rain sucks, but malaria is a killer. Like someone else said, it'd be best to have the netting so that someone can walk into a netted "room". Also, this is an entire temporary home, not just a bed, so it'd be awesome if the netting was up even when the hammock was down. AngrySparrow, have there ever been any discussions about netting draped from the perimeter of a tarp?

I was thinking about what Vitamaltz was saying here and I remembered that Harbor Freight carries various sizes of mesh tarps for what I thought was a reasonable price http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96943 these would certainly work for enclosing larger areas. They also have various size tarps that would help. As soon as I get the chance I will swing by there and see what they have on hand.

Also along with Just Jeff's tutorial on hammock making, there is Risk's $9 test hammock http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm that could be a quick and easy project, where several hammocks could be cranked out quick. Just a thought.

Was talking this over with GF and she thinks this is a great thing to do and we would get some practice making hammocks for ourselves and giving to those in need. So I guess it is time to get of the fence and break out the thread injector I got her for Christmas :D

we were also discussing that because of the heat that cotton or something in that line would be good material to use...any thoughts on this..

gargoyle
01-29-2010, 20:17
Good finds guys, all good looking items.

That $9.00 hammock is perfect. Low budget and easy to do!

sandykayak
01-30-2010, 10:12
I shipped a box with 24 yards of wally fabric, the huge bug net, and a bunch of ropes to Mike V and the NY State School for the Deaf yesterday (Fri 1/29) afternoon.

A bit heavy, so I went with the cheapest parcel post rate. They said it would take 7-10 days. Pl advise when it arrives.

Harpo63
01-30-2010, 13:10
I shipped a box with 24 yards of wally fabric, the huge bug net, and a bunch of ropes to Mike V and the NY State School for the Deaf yesterday (Fri 1/29) afternoon.

A bit heavy, so I went with the cheapest parcel post rate. They said it would take 7-10 days. Pl advise when it arrives.

GREAT! Thanks. Ill let you know when we get it. Im making up a poster to put up at the school including instructions to make a hemmed rectangle out of ripstop in case teachers or school staff want to sew at home and give it to us to complete the hammock.

By the way, Just stopped at wally world to see if I could find any ripstop. nada.

ref103
01-30-2010, 13:16
i just ordered the GI mosquito netting from ebay and sent to the PO box address. i tried to from a arm navy store online but i couldn't use a different billing and shipping address. i then found a little better deal with shipping counted in on ebay (more expensive product+less shipping=less overall cost)

gargoyle
01-31-2010, 13:53
As most of you know, my in-laws were in the Dominican Republic two weeks ago. While on the return flight my sister in-law sat next to a gentleman from New York who was involved with the aid efforts in Haiti. He had some great and some sad stories.
This one caught my attention:

"Once in Haiti, we encountered a little boy (5 or 6?), who explained he had lost his entire family, in the quake. The little boy was arguing with the border patrol guard. 'I want to get the DR', the boy tried to explain to the guard. Without money and ID, the guard would not let the boy thru. In tears the boy shared his story with this gentleman from New York. The man stated he felt so bad for the boy, and gave him $100 dollars, and a tent and wished the boy well.

The little boy seized the moment and made a break for the border, dodging guards on the way. 'In moves that would make an NFL running back proud', he zigged and zagged and lept onto a moving truck bound for freedom and the Dominican Republic."

I wish him well.:shades:

Frawg
01-31-2010, 14:43
Great story, gargoyle!

I just finished four child-size hammocks and will get them in the mail tomorrow, but I thought I'd post some pics of how I did the ends as an option to consider. It's a quick way to secure the gathered ends and simultaneously provide a loop attachment point for hanging the hammock.

Basically, it's some tubular polypro webbing with a sewn loop at one end and the other end secured in a double sheet bend around the folded back gathered end of the hammock. Pics are attached. Note the folded over tab on the webbing end, to keep it from inadvertently slipping out.

I've hung this way in the (now distant) past and it's quite secure. I've got more webbing on hand from my pre-UCR hanging days and can make more straps if it would help anyone.

gargoyle
01-31-2010, 20:20
Thanks frawg, pics and rigging look good. If anyone needs straps, pm the frawg.;)

spidennis
02-01-2010, 13:36
I think what's needed is a sponsor, to donate the materials necessary for the diyers that want to do some sewing for this project. maybe have some advertising logos or such on the hammocks and such .....

btw, is this for indoor or outdoor use?
I know they want bug netting
but do they need tarps as well?

MacEntyre
02-01-2010, 14:46
I just finished four child-size hammocks ...
Frawg, what size did you make them?

Thing1 and I are just about to cut and sew 60" wide fabric... should they be 6' long, or 7' long?

gargoyle
02-01-2010, 14:55
I think what's needed is a sponsor, to donate the materials necessary for the diyers that want to do some sewing for this project. maybe have some advertising logos or such on the hammocks and such .....

btw, is this for indoor or outdoor use?
I know they want bug netting
but do they need tarps as well?

spidey, mostly outdoor use, the locals in Haiti are nervous about going into their buildings. Or are not allowed to enter, for safeties sake.
Tarps are on the list, and yes they need lots of things, just trying to help where we can. Even cheap blue tarps are good. (beats sleeping in the rain)
Sponsorship would be great, help with shipping cost, fabric buys, supplies, but most folks are already giving at work, church, Red Cross, etc.

MacEntyre
02-01-2010, 19:36
Thing1 made two hammocks for Haiti today. One is toddler sized, and one is child sized.

Frawg, I think we're going to go with 5'X6' for child size hammocks. It saves us from having to cut it twice. They have a wonderful diagonal! It's the same effect as a 8'X12' hammock for big people. Thing1 lay in it while my son and I suspended it. It's a nice hammock!

We're using your double sheet bend webbing on the ends. It takes 20" of webbing on each end.

Frawg
02-01-2010, 19:51
Frawg, I think we're going to go with 5'X6' for child size hammocks. It saves us from having to cut it twice. They have a wonderful diagonal! It's the same effect as a 8'X12' hammock for big people. Thing1 lay in it while my son and I suspended it. It's a nice hammock! I like that; saves labor and I'll bet they could put two youngsters in one together, which might be nice for orphaned siblings. I may well do that on any more I make.

We're using your double sheet bend webbing on the ends. It takes 20" of webbing on each end. Glad it proved useful. :D I had to use 22" - 24" of the heavier tubular stuff.

I fit 6 with some room to spare into a medium size flat rate Priority Mail box; could possibly fit as many as 12 in one, packed up real tight, but I don't have that much material. Gotta get some clear tape and print up the postage, then into the mail with 'em tomorrow. It's not much, but I guess every little bit helps and it's better that this fabric find good use.

Gracadruid
02-01-2010, 19:57
Hey everyone I have a question..being a newbee and such...I was going to make some hammocks along the line of what I posted early using Risk's $9 hammock method. I have not ventured out yet to get material and the GF informs me that our local Wally Marts no longer have a fabric dept. I was wondering if using sheets (cotton/poly) blend would make a good hammock for the kids?? I searched online and have seen where people have been doing this. I think I found sound videos on you tube. I know sheets can be strong, I remember when we were kids we use them as a tarp to toss us young ones in the air...what are you're alls thougts.
Thanks

Frawg
02-01-2010, 20:04
... I was wondering if using sheets (cotton/poly) blend would make a good hammock for the kids?? ...
I haven't used that material myself, but I'm pretty sure sheets would do fine. You could always sacrifice an old one from your linen closet and give it a trial run. :)

gargoyle
02-01-2010, 20:05
Gracadruid, wait a little bit...we have something in the works.;)
will be posting soon...

Harpo63
02-01-2010, 20:36
Gargoyle-

I received an email subscription with your message about a possible "group" purchase with OWF, but it does not show up in the forums when clicking the link...

I must say I think Paul's 9 ladies will get it done alot faster than the kids at the School for the Deaf, but we will take whatever fabric there. Maybe well end up with enough to get two rolls of 100'!

Frawg
02-01-2010, 20:50
Frawg, what size did you make them?

Thing1 and I are just about to cut and sew 60" wide fabric... should they be 6' long, or 7' long?
Just noticed this, MacEntyre - sorry you had to PM me to get my attention! :rolleyes::D. Glad it's sorted out.

Gracadruid
02-01-2010, 20:56
I haven't used that material myself, but I'm pretty sure sheets would do fine. You could always sacrifice an old one from your linen closet and give it a trial run. :)
Thanks Frawg....I was thinking the same thing..if it can hold me it should be safe...I am 6'3" and 370:eek:

All right gargoyle, I will hold a bit:)

Thanks

gargoyle
02-02-2010, 06:49
This hammock for haiti thing has gone crazy cool..I am floored with the response this community has shown and want to thank all the great folks here.
==================

COLLECTIVE BARGAIN BUY

We have just recieved word from the awesome folks at Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics that they will allow us to purchase greatly reduced fabrics for this project. PGibson was very instrumental in getting this going (thanks PG,:cool:)

Here's the scoop:

1. Olive Drab Green, nylon taffetta 60+" wide. uncoated [email protected] $1.58 a yard!!
1 roll @ 125 yards. We have to buy whole rolls only, they will not cut the fabric for us. (which is fine) Plus shipping. 2,000 yards available.

2. No-SeeUm mosquito netting.60+ wide $2.14 a yard, whole roll price. 100 or 125 yards per roll. Plus Shipping.

Shipping looks to be around $30 a roll, or Paul @ AHE can pick it up if we have lots. thanks Paul

THIS FABRIC IS NOT FOR PERSONAL USE OR FOR PERSONAL PROJECTS OR GAIN.

This fabric buy is for the project "Hammocks for Haiti". If your interested in purchasing this fabric, but don't see a way you can burn up 125 yards:scared:, We are offering an excellent solution.

"Collective Bargain Buy", if you need some fabric, we can purchase a roll, send it here or to PGibson and cut it up accordingly.We can accept donations at Arrowhead Equipment, which we'll use to buy fabric and cover the cost of shipping. This is an opportunity to get some good fabric at a ridiculously low price and your help is needed. Paul at Arrowhead Equipment (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/) has donated his site AND ELBOW GREASE to allow us to "collective bargain buy" (or "cbb" if you will). We can purchase gift certificates at AHE, which will be used for the purchase of fabrics and offset shipping costs.:cool: If you want to donate, go to AHE and purchase a "gift" certificate.

OWF (http://www.owfinc.com/) has been kind enough to give us a chance to get the fabrics needed at excellent prices.

Along with the great prices, OWF has donated a roll for our cause:thumbup::thumbup1:
How cool is that.!!! Thank you OWF.

Again, this fabric buy is for the Haiti project and is not for personal use or gain. This is on the Honor System.;)

If your interested in buying a whole roll, either by donation or for your own home based group to sew with, contact me for purchase info, via pm here at the forum. We can ship directly to you!

Paul at AHE has rallied the ladies at church, who are excited about sewing up some hammocks. If you would like to donate fabric, we have people who can sew. Let us know, we can gather the neccessary funds and folks building hammocks. Harpo63 has some kids at the School, so we can find folks who have the skills, but we need fabric.

And a big Thank You to the Mods here at Hammock Forums. You guys rock:shades:

this is not a group buy, and in no way to be confused as a group buy, this is a CBB, collective bargain buy!

Gracadruid
02-02-2010, 12:03
gargoyle...this sounds like an excellent idea..thanks for all of work you are doing. I would certainly like to make a donation to help purchase the fabric to be used. How does the gift certificate deal work..like who do we make the certificate to.

Gracadruid
02-02-2010, 12:09
This hammock for haiti thing has gone crazy cool..I am floored with the response this community has shown and want to thank all the great folks here.
==================

Along with the great prices, OWF has donated a roll for our cause:thumbup::thumbup1:
How cool is that.!!! Thank you OWF.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup::thumbup: to the folks at OWF and everyone else

gargoyle
02-02-2010, 12:26
Directions for donating fabric:

Go to the Arrowhead Equipment link, here. (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/) Scroll down to the gift certificates, click on that, fill in the dollar amount? that you want to donate and proceed as usual, name, address, paypal info, etc. Make sure you fill everything out...and note that your gift cert. is for Haiti, your nickname here, and that this is a gift. Taxes do apply. But if its a gift you don't pay paypal fees.

I've tried to get thru a few times and its busy!!! Hopefully everyones buying gifts?!

Paul will then use the money balance in his paypal account to purchase the material and send it out or sew it at his place or you can have him send it to my signature address. Paul lives near the OWF headquarters and has offered to pick-up the material. And then if folks want to sew smaller sections of fabric into hammocks, he can cut it to size and ship ups or mail. Shipping will be at your expense. If we get enough donations to offset the shipping cost, great. But that's up to you guys.

pgibson
02-02-2010, 12:46
Hey all, I just got off the phone with OWF and they are getting the first roll that they are donating ready for us to pick up today.

Also to make things even simpler if you want to donate directly to me rather than going through the site you can go into paypal -send money- personal -check gift- and enter [email protected] for the recipient. Please follow gargoyles instructions and enter a note with user name and that it is for Hammocks for Haiti and I will be able to easily keep it all separate. When you send money with paypal in the personal section as a gift paypal dose not charge the normal 3% fees and will keep that fee from being lost--more of your money goes to help out with getting these hammocks and supplies down to the kids.

Doing the Gift Certificate though my site will work fine just note that the 3% fee is added to gift certificates (like a sales tax) at check out in paypal. I have tried to find a workaround in my site to get past that and have it run like a personal gift transaction but can't find a way to fix it.

gargoyle
02-02-2010, 12:55
Thanks for clearing that up Paul, I know nothing about that end of paypal accounts, they just take money on my end.:eek::lol:

(paul, can you post a pic of the fabric when you get it??)

pgibson
02-02-2010, 12:57
l

(paul, can you post a pic of the fabric when you get it??)

Absolutely! Should have it back to the shop this afternoon 3-5pm here.

Shug
02-02-2010, 18:31
Just did a send ..... thanks to you fellers for ALL the work!!!!!
It all helps those cute little diddles get off of that ground.
Shug

pgibson
02-02-2010, 18:41
Big Thanks to you Shug! Really Appreciate the help.

gargoyle
02-02-2010, 19:12
Thanks shug. I tried to do a unicycle fundraiser, not so good. I can't seem to get 'normal' folks to believe the kids need a uni.

hammocks will have to do.;) thanks again.

pgibson
02-02-2010, 20:10
Here is a little swatch off the roll OWF donated :D

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4031/4326053327_8a74d761ef.jpg

Beast 71
02-02-2010, 20:35
I just made two hammocks for my kids. The first one is an end channel one at 66"x48". It just holds my 3.5 year old boy, he is 46" tall and weighs 50 lbs. (yeah a big little fella). It tacos and the sides are still floppy. It works well enough for my 2.5 year old girl though. The second hammock I made is a gathered end hammock at 72"x38" and it performs much better! I whipped it with zip ties as shown on the just jeff website. It is the type that I will be making for the orphans. I hope my measurements and weights help potential sewers decide what they want to make.

I bought 10yds. of ACU digital camo ripstop (I think it's 1.9) at walmart and I thought I was buying it 60" wide but it was mismarked and only 48" wide so if you find it double check the width before they cut it for you.

One question I have is what would be the best suspension to put on? I can't imagine ring buckles or woopie slings being very intuitive, where as; an s-hook or just plenty of rope might be. Any thhoughts?

Happy hammock making everyone!

Shug
02-02-2010, 21:54
Thanks shug. I tried to do a unicycle fundraiser, not so good. I can't seem to get 'normal' folks to believe the kids need a uni.

hammocks will have to do.;) thanks again.
Haaaaaa ... "Normals"!!!:thumbup:

gargoyle
02-03-2010, 09:24
Paul, thanks for the photo.

Beast, The orphanage has kids of all sizes. The size you listed will work fine for the smaller kids. We are getting some rope in soon and can use that for suspensions if you don't have any. If you do, then great.

Most of the Haitians run a size smaller than us beefy americans, but they still come in different sizes. small, medium, large, and oh my god.;)

Anything you give will be greatly appreciated.

not normal gargoyle

Gracadruid
02-03-2010, 12:37
I just sent a donation through paypal....Thanks for all that you are doing..

pgibson
02-03-2010, 12:40
I just sent a donation through paypal....Thanks for all that you are doing..

Thanks for the help Gracadruid! It makes such a huge difference to have all the help with this from so many great folks.

turtlelady
02-03-2010, 13:34
Donation thru paypal just sent. Use at your discretion as needed, Paul. Thanks for your time and efforts to maximize the benefits available to the Haitians.

pgibson
02-03-2010, 13:48
Got it turtlelady! Thanks for the support.

cwayman1
02-03-2010, 22:42
Yo Paul!
Personal paypal thingy just sent! I think this would be more beneficial than me ordering fabric and then sending off the hammocks. This way, I can just include the $ that would be shipping costs and use it for more direct "hammocking benevolence" :D
God bless!

cwayman1

X-Lem
02-03-2010, 23:18
Donation just sent through Paypal. Thanks for you all your work.

GrizzlyAdams
02-04-2010, 09:47
I have a stash of mosquito netting I picked up at a surplus store a while ago. This is a perfect use for it.

The netting is 6 feet wide. I took two ten foot lengths of this and sewed them together along the long edge, creating a rectangular piece that is twelve feet wide and ten feet long.
I put in tabs to hold suspension cord. Two at each end, set in two feet from the edge, offset from the center seam by 16". Attached 10' of braided mason's line to each. Put in 3 ft long oak dowel rods
that the net can hang from through the tabs, but they aren't necessary. Just means the net can hang from two attach points rather than four.

Then I sewed up the short edges. No fancy business with making a "box". This leaves a pocket of fabric kind of like the shelf in a Blackbird hammock. But simplicity was key. I ended up being able to make one of these in an hour, and had material enough for four nettings.

They are on their way to Global Embrace Missions now...

gargoyle
02-04-2010, 11:45
cwayman1 and dand76 thanks so much for the donation.

Grizz, excellent as usual, my friend. Great details and sketch up. I'm sure that will work awesome in Haiti.
I like that you've 'tested' the netting. I do the same with the hammocks I'm doing. you know.. are they comfy and all.;)
__________________________________________________ ________________

I'm thinking the "donation for fabric" will be better for most folks. Giving up your prized gear can be painful.:scared: I know the sentimental attachment I get for my gear. So this donation is a little less painful. And still goes to a great cause.

Spent last night putting together 8 hammocks from donated fabrics that I have recieved, so far. Working out really well. :cool:
I felt a certain sense of accomplishment and satisfaction making my own hammock. This feeling I got is totally different.

:boggle: sharing the hammock love. :boggle:

I can't wait to see the little rascals snoozin' in their hammocks built with love.:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup:

Knotty
02-04-2010, 13:32
I'm very excited to see so many people willing to help with Haiti. I have a friend (there now) who has made 15 trips to the island to help in various ways.

Sorry to say I see hammocks as having limited benefit in Haiti. A nurse friend of mine just returned and here are her photos: http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=381083548113%3A1648254605
The 11th pic in the slide show is the first one showing the grounds of an orphanage they were at. It's typical of other compounds I've seen; walled and very few trees.

The Haitians get good use out of poly tarps as these can be used to create tent cities with minimal additional resources. But installing sturdy posts in the ground to support many hammocks involves resources they may not have. They may also be tempted to attach hammocks to block walls that aren't strong enough.

A hammock is mostly a place to sleep comfortably but a tarp provides shelter for activities of daily life. Poly tarps are one of the most requested items right now.

I was hesitant to write this because of all the enthusiasm here but felt these points should be considered.

turtlelady
02-04-2010, 14:47
Part of the appeal of donating through this venue was that we were initially asked to help with a specific known need by the people directly involved who sought us out for our specific expertise. I assume she was knowledgeable as to what was needed. It may be that the orphanage we specifically were helping could also use tarps, too. Or maybe tyvek, and grommet kits. Do we have a way to get updated information from the young woman who contacted us? I have no problem with my donation being used however is best for the needs of that specific orphanage. Or to be dispersed by them where needed once their needs are met.

gargoyle
02-04-2010, 16:13
I have often mentioned the needs for the orphanage ...they are many. Food, Water and Shelter are always first on any survival list. In my original post I discussed tarps as ONE of the options people consider, and a few have been donated already.

If you see a tarp as a more useful tool for them, by all means, donate one.:cool: Donate a tent, donate old gear that can get these folks back on their feet and into some better living conditions..:)The conditions are a little vague, I know that, and I apologize. My friend (the construction guy)is down there this week, and I can get some more info when he gets back. Mallery (the girl who runs the orphanage is 22 or 23 yrs. old) and is swamped with needs for the kids and the logistics of getting food and water and shelter for them. Seems the government has slowed down the airport and supplies are limited to the community, yet, there are lots of supplies.:confused:

Contacting her with a bunch of emails and questions seems a little rude to me. She is doing more important work, and her time can be spent more wisely.
I appreciate the questions and am not upset in any way. It is confusing and I will agree with you there. We did receive an email from her a week ago, and from that, I posted this thread. I only knew of a need and I am asking my friends here for help. If you have a better idea, I am all ears.
I don't want to sound like a know it all, or take total control of this fundraising cause. I know that a lot of folks have more experience than I. There are lots of ways to donate items, if this method seems 'weird' or 'unsure'. Take your ideas and run with them. I have received many awesome items, from an extremely generous community. I never in any way said 'hammocks only'. Read back thru the thread.

If you are willing or capable to donate then great, that is all I am asking. Present kid count at the orphanage is around 200+ kids per day, from what I've heard. Mallery is accepting children into her home to give them a safehaven, and I am trying to offer some kind of relief, where we can and how we can. This is a team effort.

If you feel a tarp is better then donate one. If you feel a waterfilter is a better idea, then go for it.:) If you think donating to another cause is better (Red Cross, churches, or one of the many other charities) then great. If you feel that donating to some country in the middle of nowhere is not important, well, that is you perogative.

My wife and her family do work at an orphanage in the Dominican Republic (the other side of the Island from Haiti). while not specifically in Haiti, the conditions are similar, poverty, bad food supplies, limited fresh water, bad sanitation, and a stagnant government that breaks into our donations and keeps them. We basically smuggle in food, clothing, medicine. It is sad to see that our generosity is invaded by the people in control down there.

We are in motion to get team together for a trip to Haiti in July.(as well as a pre-planned trip to the DR) We have gathered a few volunteers for this trip and have had a few monetary donations to allow this trip to happen.
Money is tight all over, but we feel it is our calling or destiny to go.

I don't want to sound angry, I am not. Just trying to explain my situation. You are entitled to your feelings. I know of a need and I'm trying to help. Lots of folks are trying to help. Bless you all, on whatever decision you make.

Again, I am open to ideas. Send a tarp. Send medical supplies. Send whatever. All will put to good use by the orphanages kids.

Harpo63
02-04-2010, 18:44
When this was started, and Gargoyle posted the link to the Haiti Foundation. I read through there and one of the goals they have is to build an shelter for the kids. They posted a picture of the kind of building they want to raise enough money to purchase. They hope to use it first as a medical clinic to be used short term during this crisis and when immediate medical needs start being met, they visualize converting the building to a place for the kids to sleep at night- and during the day, the "beds" would be moved out of the way and the area used for meal preparation. To me that makes sense that they would use hammocks to hang in the building and then unhook them and hang them against the wall as to make room for food prep. Standard beds or cots would be too cumbersome and take up too much room.

Maybe that is not verbalized clearly there, but exactly what Mallery had in mind when asking Gargoyle for hammocks.

If thats the case, their request makes sense. Immediate needs may be tarps, but from what I hear, they have supplies on the ground but due to logistical nightmares, they have large tents and tarps sitting in storage in airport hangars.

The way I see it, Gargoyle is just responding to a specific request by Mallery. That is probably why its been said that donated hammocks or other things can be sent to Michigan, and they plan to bring them over in JULY, when they just might be ready to set up that building they want and the hammocks we are making will be arriving just when they need them?

pgibson
02-04-2010, 19:10
I look at it this way, and maybe it will put some perspective on the situation. With the poverty that Haiti has had for longer than most of us have been alive for, what ever we send to these kids will likely be in use for longer than any of us will be alive for. If it is a tent, a hammock, a water filter or anything else we dream up that may help, the situation down there is going to be bad for along time to come. Some of the hammocks, tarps, tents will likely be the place these kids grow up in. It will take a long time to rebuild down there with the poverty they face every day.

Like Gargoyle said--help if you are so inclined. To those that have sent donations for fabric and supplies. Yesterday a roll of noseeum netting shipped out from OWF bound for Michigan and Gargoyles thread injector. Paid for with the generous donations of members. So again Thank You to those that have helped, Thank You to OWF for their support and generosity.

Harpo63
02-04-2010, 20:36
Received the package from SandyKayak today! Thanks! Told the staff so we are going to start working on the hammocks either tomorrow or definitely next week!

gargoyle
02-04-2010, 20:36
ref103, your netting arrived, thank you.

Frawg, thems some nice 'mocks. Mighty fine. (what kind of fabric is that? feels real nice)

sandykayak
02-05-2010, 13:25
glad you got the goodies...would be interested to know how many hammocks you make.

evrybody, check with your local govt.

Miami-Dade County is collecting perishable items and they specified camping tents - I've given 3 so far...(and one was a brand new ($100) 2-room with screen porch and 6'3" center height :(

Drop-off points include public libraries and (I believe) fire stations.

gotta set up another mid-sized tent to make sure all parts are there. I've got some blue tarps as well.

the need is going to be long-term. It does seem very feasible that as they construct (cement/concrete blocks) installing eyes into the concrete would be easy. hmmmmmmm should we be including hooks/eyes?

I know that in venezuela they have ones specially for hammocks...the straight portion goes into the concrete and there's a round eye - ab 2" in diameter that hangs out.

Harpo63
02-05-2010, 16:52
glad you got the goodies...would be interested to know how many hammocks you make.

Cut the fabric today, able to cut enough for 10 hammocks, a mix of 2 and 3 yards each without any waste leftover.

Frawg
02-05-2010, 20:05
ref103, your netting arrived, thank you.

Frawg, thems some nice 'mocks. Mighty fine. (what kind of fabric is that? feels real nice)
Sorry I was late seeing this... It was Walmart mystery fabric -- not really sure what it was, but it was fairly lightweight and I liked the color. :)

Glad you like 'em. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any more of the fabric.

Running Feather
02-06-2010, 06:42
Here I sit in the dark :( Writing this message on an ancient sidekick. I'm glad to see that things are moving along. I purchased a boatload of fabric, netting, Amsteel, and zipper. Only to produce one hammock before I lost all power like so many here in WNC. I can't wait for electricity so I can make more of a contribution. Funny, I feel so inconvenienced by this storm. The people of Haiti don't have the luxury of knowing that all will be well soon. Kudos to all here making a difference. I have a friend here whom owns a fabric store. He has told me he is willing to donate LOTS of fabric to our cause. When I get back to civilization I will try to set this in motion.

gargoyle
02-06-2010, 07:19
RF, Sorry to hear the big storm is affecting your productivity. Tell your freind thanks for the donation. Got quite a few hammocks that aren't sewn, just gathered and put a suspension on. Really fast that way. About 10-15 minutes per hammock.

hope you all get your power back on soon.

Frawg
02-06-2010, 13:44
Just came across some weight & height tables (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/age-physical-growth-boys-girls-d_1552.html) for kids' growth. Might be useful for planning hammock size.

gargoyle
02-06-2010, 20:02
Frawg, I personally test all hammocks!:scared: If they pass the big fat gargoyle test, they are all good to go.

All hammocks received and built have done great. You guys rock.:D

Frawg
02-07-2010, 09:30
Frawg, I personally test all hammocks!:scared: If they pass the big fat gargoyle test, they are all good to go. :boggle::boggle::lol:

All hammocks received and built have done great. You guys rock.:DAwesome! :thumbup:

gargoyle
02-07-2010, 09:48
I should really get a pic of me squashed into one of those kids size hammocks. too funny

Frawg
02-07-2010, 09:53
I should really get a pic of me squashed into one of those kids size hammocks. too funny
You had me chuckling here... the image of you all balled up in a fetal position, trying to fit in one. :laugh:

gargoyle
02-07-2010, 10:01
Oh man, I see where this is heading.... pics sooon, very, very sooonn.

gargoyle
02-09-2010, 17:24
:thumbup: Recieved one roll of mosquito netting today. :thumbup:
Time to go sew up some nets. whooo buddy!

X-Lem
02-10-2010, 00:33
For your donating consideration:
Below is the email from Sawyer Products in response to being informed of HF's Hammocks for Haiti effort.

Here's the web address to the filter they are referring to in the email below:
https://www.sawyersafetravel2.com/more.asp?pid=155
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:42 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Filters for Haiti
Size: 10 KB

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your email and for the work you are doing to assist Haiti. We would be happy to extend the special pricing of our filters to your organization. If you looked on our website you probably saw the cost for a filter donated to Haiti is over $63 and that includes the bucket and transportation to Haiti. That price is much higher than you would actually be paying if you bought directly from us and transported the filters down to Haiti yourselves.

If you would like to raise funds specifically for the orphanage you are working with and have a way to get the filters down to Haiti we can offer you the filters at $30 each. If you had all the donations for filters come in to your organization then placed one bulk order with us that would probably be the easiest.

Let me know how that sounds and if you have any questions!

PS I am obsessed with my eagles nest hammocks.

Amy Reed
Sawyer Products
pointonefilter.com
509-630-3175 (direct)

gargoyle
02-10-2010, 08:53
Nice find on the water filter. We have been trying to establish a line on the bio-filters (big pot, filled with sand and gravel) for the locals to build for themselves. $30.00 is a heck of a bargain, will definitely grab a few if we have the money.
Thanks for checking on those.

You basically have to re-educate the people down in Haiti or DR. They have been drinking nasty water for so long, they don't know its bad.

gargoyle
02-11-2010, 17:45
Grizz, received the netting today, nice job!!
Thanks.

GrizzlyAdams
02-11-2010, 18:35
Grizz, received the netting today, nice job!!
Thanks.

great, glad it got there. Also glad to find a good use for the netting. I had way more than I was going to use anytime soon for my needs.

The one thing I might have done but didn't was to notch or drill the hardwood spreaders in a way that was obvious to accept the suspension line. Perhaps I didn't because I couldn't think of anything obvious…anyway, when I hung it with the bars, I just tied each line onto the bar (clove hitch) and that did the needful.

Running Feather
02-12-2010, 10:13
Lights have been back on and I'm getting back in gear. I field tested the adult size (9+') in the basement and Hangin' Burrito's daughter, Bear Bait (age 7) field tested the childrens version (5'). Bug net is draped over hammock and tensioned with Prusiks on either end.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=272&pictureid=2241

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=272&pictureid=2240

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=272&pictureid=2239

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=272&pictureid=2238

I'll try to pound out a few more and mail them together.

gargoyle
02-12-2010, 10:58
Very nice Rf. things of beauty!!

thanks

gargoyle
02-12-2010, 15:07
Just whipped up a section of the donated mosquito netting fabric we got from OWF. Copied Grizz's design. Super simple and easy.

Two pieces at 10 feet long, hem on three sides, attach four small loops of webbing or grosgrain for attachment points. Tie on four lengths of string. Total time, under an hour. Really functional piece of kit.
These would work great for anyone needing netting on their hammock. Leave small hole on each end for your suspension.
I really like how the design gives you two neat little storage pockets.
Sweet ideas from the grizz, do they ever stop?

Running Feather
02-16-2010, 07:41
I just finished the last of the first batch to be mailed out and I'm rather proud of how it came out. I decided to make an infant/toddler hammock. As such, I didn't want a mother/father to worry about an accidental 'roll-out' so it had to be a closed system. The hammock is about 42" long and 36" wide. It has double zippers on both sides with the bug-net slung over the ridge line. The ridge line is a double UCR for adjustability of length and sag.

I wish I had a better backdrop (not my basement) but it's the only place to hang the hammocks in a real life scenario for testing, measuring, and tweaking.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=272&pictureid=2282

I've been enjoying making these hammocks because it is a worthy cause. I've also honed some of my thread injecting skills. The double UCR, believe it or not came to me in a dream. Nine inch buries limit the chance of slippage. Worst case scenario, sag changes, not a fall.

GrizzlyAdams
02-16-2010, 08:50
Just whipped up a section of the donated mosquito netting fabric we got from OWF. Copied Grizz's design. Super simple and easy.

Two pieces at 10 feet long, hem on three sides, attach four small loops of webbing or grosgrain for attachment points. Tie on four lengths of string. Total time, under an hour. Really functional piece of kit.
These would work great for anyone needing netting on their hammock. Leave small hole on each end for your suspension.
I really like how the design gives you two neat little storage pockets.
Sweet ideas from the grizz, do they ever stop?

hey, that looks good! Looks familiar somehow….

When I was hanging mine I thought too about the possibility of putting holes in the ends to let hammock suspension lines through. Good to see that it works.

keep up the good work!

worm-ade
02-22-2010, 18:42
does anybody know if this is still going on? i just moved to nz but i'd be down for making up some hammocks for haiti

pgibson
02-22-2010, 18:59
does anybody know if this is still going on? i just moved to nz but i'd be down for making up some hammocks for haiti

Yes there will likely be needs there for years to come. If you can help I am sure that Gargoyle would be happy to post them on. :D

gargoyle
02-22-2010, 20:41

Still hapnin', and will be for some time. If your interested in contributing, I;m interested in collecting.

Just got RF's hammocks today. There's gonna be some happy kids in Haiti.

gargoyle
02-22-2010, 20:49
hey, that looks good! Looks familiar somehow….

When I was hanging mine I thought too about the possibility of putting holes in the ends to let hammock suspension lines through. Good to see that it works.

keep up the good work!

Made up four more today. Had to go pick up some more grosgrain and string.
It takes alot to burn up a whole roll of netting. I figured I can make 25-30 of these netting rooms with the fabric we have.

I am in need of some suspension line...if anyone has some extra they want to donate..;)

Jim S
03-09-2010, 22:21
do they have any trees to hang them from, I thought they had deforested the entire country.
Jim S

gargoyle
03-10-2010, 08:51
There are some trees. We are working on hanging options for them. Concrete posts, hooks into walls etc. Lots of thick cement fences in the area.
The ground is mostly coral and rocks.

Frawg
03-10-2010, 09:09
... The double UCR, believe it or not came to me in a dream. Nine inch buries limit the chance of slippage. Worst case scenario, sag changes, not a fall.

Sorry I was late seeing this. Neat idea!

Have you been able to use it much? I'm curious about slippage, especially when sliding a gear pocket along the ridge line.

Mountainfitter
03-10-2010, 15:18
I can order materials like no see-um netting at cost. If anyone is interested I will contact some suppliers and see if they will eat their profits to get prices down further. Maybe we could all go together and split the cost to send out a few rolls.

JohnSawyer
03-12-2010, 18:08
I have some extra fabric, what's needed most? Kid size or adult?

I assume we're not being picky about fabric? Tight woven polyester ok?

I don't have any suspension line around, but Paracord is cheap and should work for a kid...

Let me know. I've never made a bugnet, but if I can buy some Organza, I'll give it a shot... Worst case, I can put together a few hammocks to add to the pile if others are making nets...

Thanks!

JohnSawyer
03-12-2010, 18:16
My brother works for a local utility pulling fiber-optic cable. They end up with some of this rope left over. It's not the lightest stuff in the world, but it's FREE. (They throw it out!)

It does degrade in UV, but it will last at least 2 years (my personal experience) before it gets too bad.

Since it's heavy, I'm not sure if it's worth shipping... If I recall, it's twisted Poly about 1/2" and yellow...

I can get hundreds of feet quite easily. Thoughts? 700' weighs about 20lbs... The also sometimes have "mule tape" which is basically nylon tape, it's good to 800 pounds, if I recall, and also used to pull wire through conduit.

He' going to check again on Monday and see what they have...

Let me know what you think...

gargoyle
03-12-2010, 19:57
Mountainfitter..we are set on fabric, unless someone else wants to volunteer their sewing services?

J.S.. I'll be accepting any and all sizes of hammocks, your choice of fabric is fine . For the rope I'm all set, I got plenty, thanks to those that contributed. Make up your hammocks and ship them, I'll throw on some whoopies.

If anyone else is in process of building hammocks or donating items, please do so soon.

Harpo63
03-12-2010, 21:49
Soon you will get a shipment of sewed and whipped end hammocks from the school for the deaf. They are still working on a couple more

Running Feather
03-17-2010, 04:46
Sorry I was late seeing this. Neat idea!

Have you been able to use it much? I'm curious about slippage, especially when sliding a gear pocket along the ridge line.

Late in seeing this too.

I only tested it out once in my basement as it was on a juvenile sized hammock. I Turned Hangin' Burrito (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/member.php?u=3626) on to the idea and I believe he has been using it on a daily basis. He said he loved it when he made it. I'll talk with him later and perhaps he'll comment here.

Frawg
03-17-2010, 13:11
Late in seeing this too.

I only tested it out once in my basement as it was on a juvenile sized hammock. I Turned Hangin' Burrito (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/member.php?u=3626) on to the idea and I believe he has been using it on a daily basis. He said he loved it when he made it. I'll talk with him later and perhaps he'll comment here.
Thanks for the response, RF -- I haven't done it yet, but I do plan to make one soon. It makes a lot of sense and gets rid of the extra line at one end. Me like! :D

gargoyle
03-17-2010, 16:19
Just a few pics of the tarp I just finished for H4H.

This sil is from Noah Lamport that we have purchased with donated funds. I would like to thank those that have contributed so far. My sewing machine thanks you too.;) This is tarp #4, one more 12x10, and two 6x10's, so far.
12x10 foot, grey sil, factory seconds. In the pics you can see the blems in the sil (kind of looks wet), appears to be functional and waterproof. Just some weird silicone lines, no big deal.

Hope you like.
Gargoyle.

gargoyle
03-26-2010, 09:00
More pics of a just completed tarp project. Added in some panel pulls.

11 foot ridge, 10 foot wide.
(wind was pushing the sides in for some of the pics)

JohnSawyer
04-01-2010, 20:14
I feel terrible that I wasn't able to get to making some of the gear sent out, so I sent arrowhead some cash for Haiti instead...

John of the shamed

Harpo63
04-10-2010, 12:45
Package sent to you today, Gargoyle! Kids at the NY State School for the Deaf finally finished them up. Hope to post a pic of the group shot we took later on this week.

gargoyle
04-10-2010, 16:08
That's great news Harpo. Tell the kids thank-you for me and all of us here at HF.

Meathook
04-26-2010, 21:01
I am new here. This is my first post but wanted to check in on this one.

I actually just got back from Haiti on the 12th after a week on a mission trip. We worked mainly in a tent city in Port au Prince providing medical care. Our team consisted of a Medical Dr, ER Nurse and and EMT as well as pastoral staff and general help (where I fell in).

Two of the guys on our team brought hammocks and I decided at that point I needed to have one. That is what brought me here. I have been camping for years but it is time to get off the ground.

Anyway just wanted to say how much I appreciate what you all are doing for the Haitian people. The need is great. It is indescribable how bad things are there.

I am no expert but I did spend a week in a house in Haiti tremors, tarantulas and all. :D So if I can answer any questions I will certainly try.

pgibson
04-26-2010, 21:16
Welcome Meathook, Glad to have you here with us, I am sure the Gargoyle will have some things to ask you, his wife at least is going down in a couple months (not sure if he is going to make it) but some more first hand experience of what to expect would be helpful I am sure.

sandykayak
05-27-2010, 11:56
The fourth paragraph mentions that Patricia Arquette visited ...."to check in with welding students who are building the doors and roofing trusses for quake victims' new homes.".... it says that 54 houses are being built in Cite de Soleil.

What I was wondering is whether the Hammocks for Haiti could contact Ms. Arquette (she has a foundation) and suggest that strong hammock hooks be built into the walls.

We might then have another hammock making blitz to be included with these 54 houses.

Gargoyle??????

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/27/1650510/patricia-arquette-trades-hollywood.html

gargoyle
05-27-2010, 13:11
Thanks for the link sandykayak. My wife has a mission team heading down in July. We are trying to coordinate with the orphanage what needs to be in place for hammocks. With all the day to day struggles the Haitians are facing, hammocks fall down the list, quickly.
When the mission team arrives, they will train and educate some folks on hammock how-to's, at least that is the plan!

My wife's team is limited in how much hammock-time is spent along with what the actual needs of the community really are. They are needed in other areas throughout the community. She is heading down to help the orphanage and community first. Hammocks will be an extra task, as time allows. We do have plans in place and time set aside for hammock education and instruction. From that point on, we plan that those who learned about the hammocks will spread the knowledge.
Hammocks will not be the focal point of her mission trip tho.

So many needs (monetary resources, fresh water, sanitation, food, shelter), I can only hope we can provide some relief with what's been given.

To date we have collected:
84 Hammocks, of varying sizes, styles and materials.
18 Tarps, again various sizes and materials.
30 mosquito nets of various sizes. Ranging from room size to hammock size.
Rope to hang the hammocks and tarps.
Assorted health and medical supplies.

This will be hand delivered in July! God willing!

I'll be happy to head-up any more efforts for years to come. My wife has plans to continue taking mission trips to Haiti. This seems to be the only reasonable way for us to ship items to the orphanage. And I would welcome the task of collecting the items that folks want to donate.

I've often thought it would be great to ensure that these donations get their full use, but with limited funds and resources in Haiti, it is difficult.

I would like to express my deep gratitude to this community, the mods and all those who found it in their hearts to donate!!
I am overwhelmed with the generosity and caring HF has shown.
This has been an incredible journey, and one I hope to continue.
Without all of you, this never could have happened!!

A special thank you to Paul Gibson, who helped in so many ways.

Sincerely, Gargoyle.

gargoyle
06-30-2010, 20:48
We have recieved an email from our contact via the US Embassy in Haiti..

"Warning: all travelers to Haiti are being subjected to robberies, and two recent murders took place."

So, in light of this fact, the team has cancelled their trip.
According to our sources, the criminals are following relief workers/volunteers from the airport. Targeting would be help to the community. Sad.
If the embassy is posting travel warnings, its for good reason!

We've contacted the team and took a vote and for personal safety reasons we have decided that its not worth dying over. No matter how great our intentions are, security comes first.

We will make arrangements to have the items donated shipped down in the near future. I was eagerly looking forward to showing off pictures and telling the tales of the trip with you all! But having my wife and family alive is of greater importance.

Hopefully we can get the items into the proper hands and distribute them as planned. My anger and frustration over the crimal behavior is at an all time high. We are trying to help!! And a few bad apples...

So much hard work and effort has gone into this project, here and in the entire HF community.
My sincerest apologies, and I will keep you all informed and updated as news comes in.
I feel terrible about the circumstances, I wish I had better news.
Gargoyle:(

Frawg
06-30-2010, 21:10
The best and worst of humanity in microcosm. :(

Good call, even if heartbreaking. Hang in there, G.

swampfox
06-30-2010, 21:34
That's terrible Gargoyle, but I don't think you have a choice. You've made the right decision.

opie
06-30-2010, 22:07
Thats truly a shame.....

Hang in there.. a window will open up, just make sure you notice it.

trekkingnut
07-08-2010, 14:55
We have recieved an email from our contact via the US Embassy in Haiti..

"Warning: all travelers to Haiti are being subjected to robberies, and two recent murders took place."

So, in light of this fact, the team has cancelled their trip.
According to our sources, the criminals are following relief workers/volunteers from the airport. Targeting would be help to the community. Sad.
If the embassy is posting travel warnings, its for good reason!

We've contacted the team and took a vote and for personal safety reasons we have decided that its not worth dying over. No matter how great our intentions are, security comes first.

We will make arrangements to have the items donated shipped down in the near future. I was eagerly looking forward to showing off pictures and telling the tales of the trip with you all! But having my wife and family alive is of greater importance.

Hopefully we can get the items into the proper hands and distribute them as planned. My anger and frustration over the crimal behavior is at an all time high. We are trying to help!! And a few bad apples...

So much hard work and effort has gone into this project, here and in the entire HF community.
My sincerest apologies, and I will keep you all informed and updated as news comes in.
I feel terrible about the circumstances, I wish I had better news.
Gargoyle:(

i know people who might be able to help you get the stuff to haiti, pm sent.

turtlelady
11-30-2010, 19:28
What eventually became of our hammocks for Haiti collections? I often think of the kids and hope we were able to do some good for them.

gargoyle
11-30-2010, 21:26
With the UN warnings on the travelers, we had to cancel the mission trip for personal safety.

The hammocks and collected goods were delivered to a local church here and have been shipped. I'll see if I can find some better info.

turtlelady
11-30-2010, 21:38
I appreciate all your efforts on the project, Gargoyle. Thanks for this update.