PDA

View Full Version : Pillow, yea or nay

GopherHanger
07-04-2017, 18:18
Hi all,

Just wondering if there are many people who seem to like laying in a hammock overnight with no pillow at all? I've tried a few different pillows and they all seem to make sleep worse in a hammock at least (not in the tent however.) I still bring one and its nice when I'm just lounging enjoying a view or eating because the pillow props my back up. Does anyone else share these sentiments? Thanks guys..

TxAggie
07-04-2017, 18:49
Hi all,

Just wondering if there are many people who seem to like laying in a hammock overnight with no pillow at all? I've tried a few different pillows and they all seem to make sleep worse in a hammock at least (not in the tent however.) I still bring one and its nice when I'm just lounging enjoying a view or eating because the pillow props my back up. Does anyone else share these sentiments? Thanks guys..

So far I still need a small neck pillow. I'm currently using a HH double layer Jungle with not much give to it, so I'm wondering if a more stretchy fabric will be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hewittdallas
07-04-2017, 19:12
Hi all,

I have found that I don't actually like a pillow under my head when I'm in my hammock, but I do like something to keep my head in place. My current solution is the REI Self-Inflating Travel Pillow which I reviewed here with some pics (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/136405-REI-Self-Inflating-Travel-Pillow). It was cheap, pretty lightweight, and doesn't do more than I need. Best of luck in the pillow search. There are some folks here who have tried many, many different pillows in the search for "the one." ;)

catastrophedude
07-04-2017, 19:52
I used the Hammock Gear pillow and I love it. It use it more as a neck pillow, but it gives me the perfect amount of support to have a great night's sleep. I also love the length of shock cord as it allows me to adjust it to be at the perfect spot every time I get in the hammock.

Gqgeek81
07-04-2017, 20:24
I've got a pillow kit from RSBTR I've yet to make. In the meantime, I've been using my extra clothes, my rain gear, or often my down jacket in a stuff sack. What I've discovered is that I need something, but that something is really quite small. At home I need a BIG pillow. In the hammock I could probably have a stack of maybe four kitchen pot holders and it would be about right.

GopherHanger
07-04-2017, 20:29
Cool advice and gear choices fellas, sounds like most folks use or need a pillow

Peppy
07-04-2017, 20:47
I had trouble with my HG pillow and my UGQ pillow. I finally settled with one from Simply Light Designs and it works well for me.

PappyAmos
07-04-2017, 20:55
I carry a DIY drawcord sack made of 1.1 nylon. About a foot square and weighs like 1/4 of an ounce. It carries my BatchStoves fleece hat, down balaclava and fingerless gloves that I wear when sleeping in colder weather. My down sleeves that go with my down vest are also in there. Usually leave the balaclava and gloves home in warm weather. The 1/16" shockcord drawstring ties to my hammock ridgeline. Once the hat, balaclava and gloves are out of the bag, the down sleeves are just thick enough to tuck under one side of my head. Or, the contents can be moved around to fully support my head for more warmth.

PapaSmurf
07-04-2017, 21:06
I always use a pillow. Inside I use a travel neck pillow. Outdoors I use a waded up fleece or my Dri-ducks raingear.

FJRpilot
07-04-2017, 21:31
Pillows are good... "yea"....

OCDave
07-04-2017, 22:35
I have a Arrowhead Equipment Bear pillow that is well worth its weight in my pack. I position it at my shoulders so my head can extend back, opening my airway. After my underquilt, my AHE Bear Pillow is my most valuable aid to sleeping comfortably in my hammock.

GopherHanger
07-04-2017, 23:53
I have a Arrowhead Equipment Bear pillow that is well worth its weight in my pack. I position it at my shoulders so my head can extend back, opening my airway. After my underquilt, my AHE Bear Pillow is my most valuable aid to sleeping comfortably in my hammock.

I would like to check this out, thanks

MikekiM
07-05-2017, 05:19
I use a ThermaRest Stuff Sack Pillow which i fleece lined. I carry my change of clothes in the stuff sack. When it's time to sleep, I empty the clothes out, reverse the stuff sack to expose the fleece side and restuff it. The draw string clips to a length of shock cord at the hammocks peak so the pillow doesn't go wandering around. I prefer something small when in the hammock, frankly my folded arm will do just fine, but I am carrying the clothes anyway.

TallPaul
07-05-2017, 05:36
I like a thin pillow. I've also used spare clothes in a stuff sack which works fine until that one night you need to wear everything you packed.

bradym77
07-05-2017, 06:31
I always use a pillow. I have a Klymit Pillow X inside a small felt bag attached to my ridgeline with a piece of shock cord to keep it from falling. By morning I'll have deflated it to almost nothing but it makes a world of difference when sleeping on your side.

dakotaross
07-05-2017, 07:05
I guess the caveat is are we talking gathered end (I think we are) or bridge. The latter, because of how flat it lays pretty much necessitates a pillow under your head. I find in a gathered end, a pillow under my head raises my head too much. I use the AHE cub pillow under my neck, but this little pillow how stout enough fill that I can use it on my side. I find that its small width works better for me.

Have tried the Klymit X and its not bad compared to a lot of inflatables. I have to have it about half inflated though. Prefer the cub, but the lack of bulk on the Klymit is great for a small pack.

TrailSlug
07-05-2017, 07:26
Nemo Fillo (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JVM9V4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for me. I've gone through several pillows and this is the most comfortable and packs small.

Big Flounder
07-05-2017, 07:34
I finally settled with one from Simply Light Designs and it works well for me.

I noticed Jared has these marked down in his "Get Up and Get Outdoors" section of the website. Might have to order one.

Chesapeake
07-05-2017, 09:14
When I got my Snugpak patrol poncho & liner combo last july from Amazon it came with a free Snugpak Snuggie pillow. It packs small and is pretty comfortable. If I'm hiking I'll pack just it, but car camping and at home I use a small Thermarest pillow for my head and put the Snugpak under my feet. I only sleep on my back in my hammocks and get bad pain in my heels from staying in the same position for most of the night. I've tried going sans pillow but switched back the next night.

brazilianguy
07-05-2017, 09:28
YES for pillows! I currently use two. One for my head is from Simply Lights Designs, it's a good size, and not overly stuffed, it feels like a miniature bead pillow. And another that's smaller, but very stuffed, doesn't compress very easily, I use this under my knees when laying on my back, or in between my knees when on my side. I have been using this set up for 3 years every night. HYOH

hewittdallas
07-05-2017, 09:50
Looks like I might have to give Jared's pillow a try after all of these comments...

waterboy
07-05-2017, 21:09
Bed pillows really crank my neck, but I love having a very thin pillow. My favorites... A neatly folded T-shirt, a lightweight down vest, Dutch's folding sit pad.

Redoleary
07-06-2017, 04:18
It's a neck pillow for me. I've been using one of these DIY HAMMOCK PILLOWS (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/82719-How-to-make-a-hammock-pillow) for a couple of years now, both camping and at home, I sleep about 1/2 time in a hammock, so it's reasonably durable and reasonably packable.

Wanderlost
07-06-2017, 07:07
It depends on the time of year. I've found that in the summer I need a pillow because I don't have any extra clothes besides dry sleep clothes and sweaty walking clothes. During those times, I love my HG down pillow. The rest of the year, I either have my puffy jacket, my fleece, or both, so there's something to act as a pillow. I use less under my head, and more under my neck and side of the head to keep my head from lolling all over the place.

curlymaple42
07-06-2017, 08:00
I made a small pillow, actually mine is a stuff sack technically, and put three layers of synthetic batting in it. Seems to work great! Made one for my wife first but she wanted it sewn shut so I made her a new one and took the old one. The draw string and toggle don't bother me at all. I fold it in half to prop up to read.

Canoefor2
07-06-2017, 17:42
At the present time I use a AHE bear pillow and I attach the shock cord to a dog bone from end of my hammock. It is always easy to find when I get in and it is very comfortable. I have used the an rei down pillow and thermorest travel pillow medium and seem to always go back to the AHE

GadgetUK437
07-06-2017, 18:39
Only need something under my neck really, or when it gets colder... a PillowHat™

https://youtu.be/B40jmbeAwKg

Foxpoop
07-07-2017, 05:45
Only need something under my neck really, or when it gets colder... a PillowHat[emoji769]

https://youtu.be/B40jmbeAwKg

Lol. "Your need to talk to a fashionable youth or your neighborhood Rastafarian".

Gqgeek81
07-07-2017, 06:03
I believe Andrew from Adventure Archives uses some sort of goofy drawstring bag/hat for his pillow.

He brings up a good point though. Almost anything extra with me will work as a pillow, the annoying thing is having it constantly disapear when I get up to water the tree. I'm looking forward to getting around to finishing my pillow kit if for no other reason than it will have a shock cord leash on it.

Stormbringer
07-07-2017, 11:56

I also use the AHE Bear pillow and love it :thumbup:

Big Flounder
07-07-2017, 12:30
I just ordered a pillow from Jared at Simply Light Designs. Thought about making one, but for $17 shipped I figured why bother.

hewittdallas
07-07-2017, 12:37
I just ordered a pillow from Jared at Simply Light Designs. Thought about making one, but for $17 shipped I figured why bother.

Yep, I went through the same process as a result of this thread. Looked at the kit and then pulled the trigger on Jared's pillow for just a few bucks more.

Peppy
07-07-2017, 12:39

I have 2! They are great!

Rifleman
07-07-2017, 12:50
I'm in the no pillow camp, but I like something under my neck. I have used a rolled up towel or a small piece of fleece. In colder weather I like a small layer of fleece under my head also for warmth. Hope you find what works for you.

gunner76
07-07-2017, 12:59
I use a Klymit pillow found here ...https://www.klymit.com/pillow-x.html weighs under 2 ounces and when deflated it is very flat and takes no room in the pack or you can use the stuff sack it comes with. Often found on Massdrop.

bubbavinny
07-11-2017, 21:12
I have a down pillow that I cut in half and had sewn up that I use for my head and one that I bring along to place under my knees. Otherwise my neck gets sore and my legs hurt from hper-extension. Sometimes, if I am trying to limit weight/space, I just use a bag and stuff soem clothes in it for one or the other. Or both.

Big Flounder
07-11-2017, 23:33
My pillow from Simply Light Designs (Jared) came the other day. It's exactly what I was wanting. Looking forward to getting to use it in hammock soon.

Flash Grundelore
07-12-2017, 05:54
Kludged up one out of scrounge just yesterday... [posted in "Need a pillow suggestion" thread]
Full deetz here: https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/2017/07/11/pillow-talk/

danah.
07-12-2017, 06:20
I use a piece of thick fleece material rolled up (about 2.5" thick) behind my neck. This fabric is shock corded and hooked to the SRL with a mitten hook.

I use thick pillows or other gear under and behind my knees when back sleeping.
This setup works great for me every time. I sleep in a hammock every night.

oldpappy
07-12-2017, 08:49
I put my fleece shirt/pull-over (or any other spare clothing) in a nylon stuff sack for my pillow - dual purpose and easy to wash/keep clean.

<-Pointer
07-12-2017, 10:45
I put piece of spare clothing (usually my merino wool sweater) under my neck. I find a full pillow to be uncomfortable in a hammock.

Four-O
07-12-2017, 16:18
Snoring cub from AHE for about the last 5 years...packs right in with the quilts...love it

gbolt
07-12-2017, 20:34
Posted this before so sorry to those that have visited before. I have experience with four Pillows and rank them as follows:
1. S2S Aeros Regular and adjusted to personal firmness. Created a DYI attachment for hammock and deflate it for storage inside hammock when packed into Stuff sack. Here is a link: https://youtu.be/oktoLKGhRMA

2. Hammock Gear Down Pillow. It doesn't lift my head up enough to look out of hammock and isn't adjustable like number one choice. But to hunker down in winter, it is awesome. It won't leak either.

3. Klymit X pillow. Ok in hammock but best ground pillow I own. Really cradles the head if sleeping on back. Need a buff or shirt if side sleeper. Here is a box open video. https://youtu.be/i9E__bKPLu8

4. Tried the REI Pillow Sac but not a consistent feel due to different clothes stuffing utilized. Plus, ZPacks now has the same option that is CF and more water proof. I actually would sell mine for 50% off but shipping would make for a hard sale if a brick and morter is close by.

The amazing thing about this thread is that it truly comes down to personal preference.

schillke
07-13-2017, 07:31
I have used the caccoon air core (was too much pillow) and switched to one of Dutch's argon pillows. I have found that I don't need a ton of "pillow" in the hammock, but definitely need something under my neck.

The argon pillow is doing the trick for now, it's pretty small though.

Ghashul
07-13-2017, 17:19
I use a spare piece of clothing. Generally a downjacket or a fleece. I'm often comfortable enough without one, but it can get cold with a 3/4 uq, so I'll have it.

gbolt
07-13-2017, 19:09
I use a spare piece of clothing. Generally a downjacket or a fleece. I'm often comfortable enough without one, but it can get cold with a 3/4 uq, so I'll have it.

Good point, pillow or not you do need head insulation.

smalz1234
07-13-2017, 20:10
Glad to be seeing suggestions here as i my nose gets real snuff in any weather if my head isn't elevated and hammocks sure help with that but i found myself wanting a packable pillow and i think i am deciding between myself Hammock gear and Klymit project x.

goforth
10-12-2017, 16:02
a big YEA for me, I tried without for one night very uncomfortable, got stiff neck but I've found it uncomfortable if the pillows is to big I use one from loco libre its smaller and made from goose or duck down, very nice.

Two Speed
10-12-2017, 19:29
Hi all,

I love my under inflated plastic pillow and without it my neck is always tight when I wake up. I also like having it fully inflated for reading and stuff while laying in my hammock.

rweb82
10-12-2017, 19:30
Always. I just use a $10 Field & Stream pillow. Works great!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Zeroplanetz
10-12-2017, 20:16
I have a newer nemo pillow. I forget its name. It's air and has a soft cushion on one side and it's cover is like a stuff sack kinda. Perfect for me. Craddles, soft, warm. I just need to add a cord to it so it won't slide down my back.

Chesapeake
10-12-2017, 20:23
I always use one and even two sometimes... ... I've got the Snugpak "Snuggie" pillow that I always use when hiking since it has a built in stuff sack , but I've just got an HG ECON pillow that I'll proly pack from now on since its much lighter and packs into the small size HG cuben stuff sack that came with it for free. At home I use a small size Thermarest pillow that I " borrowed " from my 16yo daughters bed..... who cares if its hot pink , its super comfortable ! Lol. And I always use an even smaller one under my calfs so I don't feel the calf ridge if I have it and /or my heels don't get numb bc of the pressure on them from the hammock.

dhkayaker
10-12-2017, 21:18
Definitely yes, but all of my backpacking pillows are too much. I have graduated to just a neck pillow which is my tarp stuff sack partially stuffed with my down jacket to my comfort. I still bring a small backpacking pillow and use it between my knees when I sleep on my side.

ofuros
10-12-2017, 21:25
Makeshift pillow for me...I just use the small stuff sack filled with my spare clothes...double duty use.

GadgetUK437
10-13-2017, 08:16
I have graduated to just a neck pillow which is my tarp stuff sack
Doesn't this cause issues when you put a wet tarp in it?

Jamesd848
10-14-2017, 14:59
I think now I'm gonna have to get my inflatable pillow out and give it a go, I never really thought about using a pillow in a hammock, never really thought I needed it, but hey, guess its time to try!

Pithecanthropus
10-17-2017, 19:18
When I was a ground dweller my pillow was an Enlightened Equipment Minion with my dry bag that I pack my quilt in half lofted and shoved into the Minion which was folded in half, zipped up, and each draw chord cinched tight. That was the absolute best camp pillow I had ever used. I ended up getting one of the Litesmith UL inflatable pillows, someone mentioned to me that they are ambulance pillows, but they are definitely UL and inflate with a straw. I shove a size large, inflated about a quarter to a third of the way, and shove that into my Minion. I tried it in the hammock last Sunday night and slept really well. But I can get comfortable in a hammock without it, so I might just ditch the inflatable bladder and use the Minion folded and zipped up or flat as my pillow/extra insulation under my head. I'm thinking of giving that a try tonight in the yard.

And the Minion comes with a mitton hook installed on one of the cinch chords, so even though I bought one before I even considered hammock camping, I feel it fits right into the hammock camping world. And the Minion is a really awesome and versatile piece of gear. Just be sure when you use it as a pillow you have the 10D fabirc on the outside or against yourself while the waterproof silnylon shouldn't touch you, unless you want your ear to suction cup to it. I bet it would great standalone as a pillow, but it makes a great, multi-purpose, insulated pillow case.

LuvmyBonnet
10-17-2017, 19:28
I prefer 2 pillows. Both from Arrowhead. I use the Cub under my head and Bear under my knee.

Singingcrowsings
10-17-2017, 22:15
No, no pillow. I like something, usually my quilt bunched up high near my ears. On my back, it feels cozy, and when I turn to either side it gives me the support I need.

BrittanyB
10-18-2017, 08:34
I'm in the camp of some form of spare clothing or something soft shoved in a small stuff sack under my neck. Usually that is plenty.

Brooklyn
10-18-2017, 09:37
The weight and pack space has always been an issue for me so even when I have to sleep in a lean to shelter - no pillow for me.

wa4chq
10-18-2017, 11:22
I had some left over CS Apex from my TQ/UQ projects that I use inside a small stuff sack for a pillow. It's ok, but I would rather have something better for under my neck.

Malcolm
10-18-2017, 15:01
I have a really light pillow that I sometimes use. I've found it's entirely dependent on how I'm laying. In one hammock in particular, there's no way I'll sleep comfortably without a pillow. In the other, there's no way I'd sleep comfortably with it.

I suppose it's one of those things that we all figure out for ourselves as we go, eh?

Steve66
10-19-2017, 09:39
For decades, I had just put clothes in my sleeping bag/top quilt stuff sack and used that as a pillow. That worked ok but I decided last year that, at 50 years old, I deserve something better so I picked up the Sea To Summit Aeros (https://www.rei.com/product/866771/sea-to-summit-aeros-pillow-premium) pillow. It is so much more comfortable and, more importantly, I sleep much better. I guess people could argue against it's weight and size, but it weighs about the same as a Clif Bar and about the same size as two Clif Bars stacked on top of each other. Well worth it for me.

Dhagan
10-19-2017, 10:08
Yeah for me!

NittanyLion
12-13-2017, 16:03
I like a small pillow like the Slumberjack camp pillow....I find pillows any thicker are uncomfortable. Have a sewing machine? It is very easy to make a quick pillow with scrap material and a $3.50 bag of poly pillow stuffing from Wal-mart. Make it small - 9x15" and don't overstuff it. - I find more is not better.

mo_hunter
12-13-2017, 17:03
I like my loco libre pillow

DiceCaller
12-13-2017, 20:02
I found a memory foam infant pillow on Amazon. It's about 8" x 12" and just more than an inch thick. The nice thing is that it has a dimple in the center so almost all the support is under the neck. I sewed a case out of an old silk shirt and added a loop to attach shock cord. Maybe overkill, but I love it!

MDCrab
12-13-2017, 20:03
Therm a rest dry stuff sack/pillow for me. Stuff sac helps to keep clothes dry and as mentioned in an earlier thread it is fleece lined so when turned fleece side out makes a comfy pillow. Use as much or as little clothes in it to taste.

Gruxxx
12-13-2017, 20:36
No pillow for me. In a hammock, anything under my head cranes my neck uncomfortably forward. Thank goodness... one less thing to bring!

Vanhalo
12-13-2017, 20:45
Here is my pillow.

Not Dutch.

He is not very soft.

.......I'm told.

michigandave
12-13-2017, 20:53
When I was a ground dweller many years ago I used to use one of those thermarest pillows made from the leftover chunks of matters foam. It always seemed way to firm and when I did the switch to hammocks I tried it and gave up. When I needed some more support under my head I would just fold up a down puffy or an extra fleece.

Back in October, one of my buddies showed me the Climashield pillow that Jared at SLD made. I was sold on it, so I just ordered one and got it this week. It's soft, the perfect height and I could feel it reflecting heat. First winter trip of the season this weekend, so it will be a good test.

mirrorslap
12-14-2017, 00:56
~
Climashield pillow from SLD for under $18 shipped? Merry Christmas to me!

michigandave
12-14-2017, 06:32
~
Climashield pillow from SLD for under $18 shipped? Merry Christmas to me!You'll be a happy camper. Plus free shipping over $15. Also, check out the zippered storage pouch. I've got 3 to help keep the smalls organized.

gargoyle
12-14-2017, 06:40
thermarest pillows made from the leftover chunks of matters foam. .

I prefer the anti-matter foam, much, much lighter. :lol:

Vanhalo
12-14-2017, 07:07
You'll be a happy camper. Plus free shipping over $15. Also, check out the zippered storage pouch. I've got 3 to help keep the smalls organized.

I got one made out of 600d blaze orange magnatuff...i use it for my suspension and hammock related do dads.

Peppy
12-14-2017, 09:04
~
Climashield pillow from SLD for under $18 shipped? Merry Christmas to me!

I have a few of these!

popalain
12-14-2017, 09:51
I sometimes use a this Marmot Strato pillow ... weighs 40 grams (1.41oz).

If using in the hammock, I'll just inflate it slightly. I like that it's shaped a bit like a contour / ergonomic pillow, which is supposedly good for my back pain.

HuskHikes
12-14-2017, 12:08
Posted this before so sorry to those that have visited before. I have experience with four Pillows and rank them as follows:
1. S2S Aeros Regular and adjusted to personal firmness. Created a DYI attachment for hammock and deflate it for storage inside hammock when packed into Stuff sack. Here is a link: https://youtu.be/oktoLKGhRMA

I agree!
My S2S Aeros was left over from my ground days, it was perfect in my hammock.
Love the attachment, I will be trying it out.

scrope
12-14-2017, 13:54
As a side sleeper I find I must have a pillow. I've used the rolled up clothing and that works but isn't always comfortable. I've used down and polyester pillows but they are either too soft or too hard and non-adjustable. I really like the Exped Air Pillow UL. I started with the Large and it's great for ground dwelling.

For the hammock my current favorite is the Exped Air Pillow UL Medium. It's easy to inflate and deflate. It has a curve that fits my shoulder. It's reasonably high at 4.3" but not outrageously large at 10.6" x 15". It weight 1.6 oz and packs crazy small. Yeah, it's not cheap at full price so look for a discount if you can.

I can live without a pillow but the difference in my comfort is worth the additional 1.6 oz.

Hiker Boy
12-14-2017, 14:16
My Sea to Summit Aeros pillow comes on all my hammock trips and I take it when I'm travelling on long car trips or airplane flights. At 4oz and how compact it packs, I don't even notice it.

popalain
12-14-2017, 15:25
My Sea to Summit Aeros pillow comes on all my hammock trips and I take it when I'm travelling on long car trips or airplane flights. At 4oz and how compact it packs, I don't even notice it.

Oh man the Aeros is the most comfortable backpacking pillow I've ever used, love it.

keever86
12-15-2017, 13:49
I've tried a cheap neck pillow, clothes, my thin Thermoball jacket stuffed into its pocket, and my small Thermarest pillow. The Thermarest is the only one I like. The little bits of foam inside seem to squish down just as far as needed, and they can be rearranged to fill more or less space where I want it.

WillUpnDown
12-15-2017, 16:58
For ground camping I would stuff the equivalent of two t-shirts in a small insulated dry bag, seal it up. This seemed to work pretty good. For the hammock though this was too small and would just fall out of position. Even at home I couldn't find anything that would work, no pillow was flat enough, and yet I wanted something under my head. On a whim I bought a Klymit air pillow, much bigger than the dry bag. I use it almost flat (anyone who sees it thinks it's got a leak), it's been terrific--earning its place in my back pack.

W8lkinUSA
12-15-2017, 17:55
On the Ridgerunner, I've been using the Klimit pillow x with very little inflation and rolled up halfway. I wonder if a dry bag might accomplish the same thing.

I've just received a BB XLC, so cannot provide feedback with gathered-end hammocks.

On the ground, I've been using the LLBean down pillow. I like the soft side during travels for cool indoor temperature; my hosts usually have terribly firm pillows. Unfortunately, I need 1 or 2 more ounces of down....

Halfed
12-15-2017, 18:31
I can't sleep with no pillow in a hammock. I'm using a STS aeros ultra light.

Two Speed
12-15-2017, 20:20
always pillow for me. I can never get the sea to summit aeros's giant fill valve one to not poke me in the head when its under inflated so I got an inflatable one with the fill valve on the side. The pillow cradles my neck and I don't leave home without it even on really long trips.

H. Hastings
12-16-2017, 18:09
Always use a pillow. Started with AHE Cub then went to their Bear. Just picked up a Sea to Summit Aero Ultralight to cut weight. That'll be the one that goes on the next trip.

mirrorslap
12-25-2017, 02:11
~
Got the Climashield pillow from SLD for Christmas. LOVE IT! It is exactly what I was looking for in size, feel, and support.

cmoulder
12-25-2017, 08:11
No pillow for me. In a hammock, anything under my head cranes my neck uncomfortably forward. Thank goodness... one less thing to bring!

Wow, it seems there aren't many of us but another no-pillow here for the same reason, in both Chameleon and DH Darien 10ft.

Verity
12-25-2017, 11:27
I have been sleeping full-time in hammocks for the past two and a half years. I find a pillow of any size uncomfortable. I’ve slept in a Ticket to the Moon, a HH Asym Zip Expedition, a Thermarest Slacker, a UK Hammocks Expedition... in all of them I lie flat, but I guess my head is raised just enough that I’m comfortable without a pillow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chop
12-25-2017, 23:34
After years of not using a pillow, this past summer I folded up my down jacket and wrapped (and tied) a bandana around it. After a cumulative 3.5 months with the pillow, I am converted - the occasional stiff neck no longer occurs.

stowe18
12-26-2017, 07:52
Wilderness Logics down pillow for me, soft fleece on one side, nylon on the other. I also bring a HG pillow for my legs.

amsd2dth
12-26-2017, 19:06
I've recently been dx with bulging cervical discs. I've become a MyPillow fan (took a few months for it to mold to the correct shape) and so I decided to try the travel version since I've never found a pillow I've liked when I'm in the hammock. So far, so good!

Barbi520
01-09-2018, 18:27
I have been sleeping full-time in hammocks for the past two and a half years. I find a pillow of any size uncomfortable. I’ve slept in a Ticket to the Moon, a HH Asym Zip Expedition, a Thermarest Slacker, a UK Hammocks Expedition... in all of them I lie flat, but I guess my head is raised just enough that I’m comfortable without a pillow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is pretty much my experience also. Seem to get neck pain, no matter how small the pillow.

Synch cord
01-09-2018, 18:50
HG pillow here, + 1 oz. Small, light and comfortable and does not lift my head too much. I have ruptured discs in my neck as well and like a thin pillow. The cord attached to the hammock makes keeping up with it easy. I leave it attached and scrunch it all in the bishop bag.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Nedh84
01-09-2018, 22:00
I appreciate a small pillow mostly under my neck when sleeping in a hammock. When sleeping on the floor I appreciate a much larger pillow.

Paddles Down
01-13-2018, 00:54
For me definitely a no.

Peter Dragon
01-17-2018, 14:45
For me I found a small down pillow helps my neck on cold nights.

x7456
01-18-2018, 00:49
For me I found a small down pillow helps my neck on cold nights.

+1 on that.

pdxleif
01-23-2018, 19:14
I use a sea to summit inflatable pillow, and deflate it until my head is nearly touching the hammock. It also provides insulation, so my underquilt only needs to reach up to my shoulders, not under my neck and head.

cneill13
01-23-2018, 19:43
After years of not using a pillow, this past summer I folded up my down jacket and wrapped (and tied) a bandana around it. After a cumulative 3.5 months with the pillow, I am converted - the occasional stiff neck no longer occurs.

Can't you just fold your beard over to one side?

Just kidding. Kinda, sorta.

Chop
01-24-2018, 09:28
Can't you just fold your beard over to one side?

Just kidding. Kinda, sorta.

If it weren't involved in it's duty as my night time scarf..yes :)

Just joe
01-25-2018, 07:16
I just got my hammock gear xl down pillow and love it. It packs small keeps my neck warm and is super comfy!

morgan1840
01-25-2018, 08:24
I love my HG down pillow and won't leave home without it!!

geneaut
01-29-2018, 11:42
I have a few smaller/thinner pillows basically 8"x12" I made from scrap ripstop or fleece, and the cheap polyfil stuffing you can buy at Walmart. I usually like them as they serve multiple purposes. First is comfort, second is insulation of my head and neck, third is if I get the crazy urge to pretend it's a teddy bear ( the older I get the more I need something for my hands to do while I sleep and clutching one of these fits the bill ), and fourth they make a nice piece of mobile insulation if I roll off my pad at any point during the night. In addition they are nice for ground sleeping if needed.

Lastly they make for a great projectile in playing dodge pillow with our Scout Troop.

That said I was car camping this weekend and used a 'real' bed pillow I had in the back of the SUV, and it was delightful.

weaver2469
01-29-2018, 11:59
For those that use the HG pillow, does the placement of the shock cord bug you? It is right in the middle. I tend to use the pillow more as a neck support, so my head hangs over the top of the pillow. The cord looks to be right in the middle of my head. I have a pillow from Arrowhead, which is a little too firm for me, so I don't use it much, but it has the shock cord on a corner, where it is out of the way. The thought of that cord hitting the middle of my head is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on the HG pillow yet.

OneClick
01-29-2018, 12:04
For those that use the HG pillow, does the placement of the shock cord bug you? It is right in the middle. I tend to use the pillow more as a neck support, so my head hangs over the top of the pillow. The cord looks to be right in the middle of my head. I have a pillow from Arrowhead, which is a little too firm for me, so I don't use it much, but it has the shock cord on a corner, where it is out of the way. The thought of that cord hitting the middle of my head is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on the HG pillow yet.

I haven't tried it but can see what you mean. I bought a similar pillow from simply light designs and it has a cord from both top corners. So your head might fall between them without any issues...or could be worse with a line rubbing each ear. I guess it depends on how you position it. Or just remove it and only use one corner. Either way, it's a nice pillow!

morgan1840
01-29-2018, 19:43

I never really considered the cord placement until I read your post. The cord doesn't bother me and keeps the pillow right where I want it.

HanginLow
01-30-2018, 08:50
I sometimes use the grizzly from arrow Head. I usually end up losing it halfway through the night and end up going without it.

Draggingcanoe
01-30-2018, 10:22
I use the Hammock Gear pillow, super soft and warm! Now, what to do in cool weather...

Hangandy
01-30-2018, 15:37
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it before, but I use a down vest in it's stuffsack. I'm already bringing it even in the summer, and it's small enough to give me just enough neck support. I can't imagine bringing just a single use pillow (weight penalty). The blow up ones don't work well, don't breathe well, and in the winter if you are inflating with breath don't insulate well.

Remember, though, that's what works for me. If you need a pillow to sleep comfortably, bring it. The weight penalty isn't as bad as having a lousy sleep. As many others do though, just bring a pillow case and fill it with clothes (unless all you wear is a studded leather jacket and chain mail.

RexLaughlin
01-30-2018, 19:59
I sleep with a little camping pillow I got at Menards. I recently bought a Sierra Designs Dridown pillow from Massdrop. I hate it! It's made out of hammock material and slides all over when I move, plus it's VERY noisy.

Mountnormal
01-31-2018, 22:03
I use a Klymit X pillow, mostly because I got it for free but it seems to work well...I inflate it to about 50%...it does slide around a bit so maybe I need to stuff it into my hat.

https://www.klymit.com/pillows.html

damuffin
07-05-2018, 22:16
Buy a thermarest large and their stuff sack pillow. Remove half the stuffing and make a second pillow with the sack. The fabric is amazing and stays in place. The little foam chunks can be manipulated into supporting whatever you want. I own a nemo and a Klimit and some other down pillows, and the thermarest is in my pack permanently. The klimit is great for your knees or to insulate your heals.

dbolster24
07-06-2018, 21:06
I use a sea to summit ultra light inflatable. Pillow packs down to nothing and I only fill it about 25-30 percent. Sometimes I feel like I do not need it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Danimal9
07-07-2018, 06:22
Been using a pillow mostly deflated under my knees for a while now. Helps with that hyperextended knee feeling I get from gathered end hammocks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dbolster24
07-08-2018, 06:45
Hmm I might try that pillow under the knees idea.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

HandyRandy
07-08-2018, 15:49
Hmm I might try that pillow under the knees idea.

Or try using your sit-pad if you’re backpacking.

Braden
07-08-2018, 16:36
I made the one that is in the Forums' DIY section. Sometimes I use it and sometimes not. Love it.

Othello
07-13-2018, 13:06
Pillow, stuff sack, or rolled up jacket or fleece, I'm much happier with a little support under my neck. My favorite is a small loosely stuffed "my pillow" travel pillow. Very similar to the therm-a-rest pillows, with just a little less stuffing. Perfect for the contour of a GE.

Rifleman
07-13-2018, 13:30
I never cared for a pillow under my head while sleeping in a hammock. I prefer to use a piece of fleece or a light jacket under my head or neck. The jacket or fleece can be adjusted to provide the correct amount of support and provides some insulation in cold temperatures. During warmer conditions I usually just roll a small section and put under my neck. Very important to find what works best for you.

Tyroler Holzhacker
07-13-2018, 13:39
I don't absolutely need to pack a pillow, but i will say it is nice to have one in the house, or front country camp ground. Would I take it hiking? Not on a hike longer than 2 miles.

Brooklyn
07-13-2018, 14:04
I recently purchased one of those ultralight, inflatable pillows to take for a whirl. Super cheap, super light. Haven't used it yet. Bought 2 so I could give one to a buddy. If I hate it, I'll give another buddy one as well.

leiavoia
07-13-2018, 14:14
I've been using an REI backpacker pillow, but on recent trips i've just been using a wadded up down jacket. It seems to stay in place better, fits better, and insulates the ears a little bit. It's also wider, so i can roll side to side and still have support.

Five Tango
07-13-2018, 14:56
I have a tendency to bring a little too much "stuff" so I don't bring a pillow and haven't really needed one.If I want one I will put some clothes in a stuff sack for a pillow but haven't had to resort to that yet.

Fastmatt
07-13-2018, 23:16
Love my sea to summit blow up pillow. Material is nice ,holds air (only about 1/2-3/4 inflated for hammock use ) permanent spot in my pack. Packs down small. Con is it’s fairly expensive for what it is.

RMC0109
07-14-2018, 08:27
When I first started using a hammock I played around with pillow options, but quickly found that I did not need one. I'll sometimes wrap a shmaug around my neck if I'm getting cold, but that's as close to a pillow as I'll get now in a hammock.

INhammockcamper
07-15-2018, 21:54
I have a Sea to Summit ultralight pillow and use it about 50/50. Depends on if I have extra clothes I can use or if i'm wearing them to keep warm.

StrungUpNewfoundlander
07-16-2018, 04:46
Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Pillow (large) works for me. Packs up very small and easy to adjust the air pressure to get it to the firmness you want it.

Aurust
07-16-2018, 12:31
I like to have a pillow for a bit more neck support, especially when don't have a really flat lay. I usually just use extra clothes or jacket and adjust.

Pineglow
07-26-2018, 13:33
It could just be because my Clark is too short for me to get a nice flat lay, but I find that my head kind of lolls to one side in my sleep and I wake up with a crick in my neck if I don't use a pillow. Funny thing is, it doesn't so much go under my head as off to one side to prop it up! So far I've just been car camping, so I use a little travel pillow with poly-fill. If I were to take it on an overnight hike I'd probably rig something with a spare layer rolled up.

BigE94
07-26-2018, 15:01
I use a fold up pad from AHE (https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/p544/Fold_Up_Foot_Pad.html). I fold it 3 deep and put that under my neck the other section goes under my head. Does double duty to keep my rear comfortable too.

drtolo
07-31-2018, 13:53
My favorite current setup is a Goosefeet stuffsack pillow, either filled with clothes, or with one of those disposable blow up paper pillows. They pack down to nothing, & have adjustable support with a straw which is kind of fun to tailor your pillow size.

For those of you watching your weight, I believe this setup pays for itself by allowing me to have a much smaller UQ.

Tikker
07-31-2018, 14:41
for my hike this past week, I grabbed a klymit inflatable pillow. I'm still not 100% sure what I think about it, but it wasn't bad at all, and packs WAY smaller than my synthetic filled one I had been hauling around

trouthunter
08-04-2018, 05:56
I have never used an actual pillow.

All I've ever done was stuff some extra fleece into a stuff sack and adjust as needed for comfort.

But to more properly answer your question, yes I like a pillow in tents (gasp) and hammocks alike.

JTaylor
08-04-2018, 11:30
I always use a 4L MSR Dromedary water bag for a pillow/neck support - easy to adjust the air amount and since I carry it anyway it doesnt add to my kit.

JT

Ozzitoolmetallicrue
08-11-2018, 10:17
I use a small inflatable silk covered one. Works great.

dwdavis
08-11-2018, 23:45
Warbonnet’s down hammock pillow works great for me. In warm weather I use a $10 pillow from Bed Bath and Beyond which is close to the dimensions of the Warbonnet.

Latherdome
08-12-2018, 00:03
Less is more in the hammock pillow department, but some is better than nothing. Camping i use a tiny inflatable neck pillow with microsuede cover. Only complaint is it doesn't breathe well. At home I use a horseshoe-shaped "travel" pillow, cotton cover with loose buckwheat hull fill. Just enough to keep my head from flopping side to side. It's perfect.

DBurn
08-13-2018, 13:18
I have a Klymit x-pillow but haven't figured out how to make it work real well for me. I may try to find or make cover for it or just invest in something else.

Hangdang
08-13-2018, 14:53
The younger me no pillow...the older me pillow please and thank you.

I currently use inflatable pillows so that I can adjust as necessary and they also pack very small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

jmstallard
08-16-2018, 05:45
disposable blow up paper pillows

Can you please give me more information? I see plastic inflatable pillows, but no paper.

Shug
08-16-2018, 08:48
These days I am enjoying my Wilderness Logics down pillow.
Shug of Rest

OneClick
08-16-2018, 08:54
Can you please give me more information? I see plastic inflatable pillows, but no paper.

These are not paper, but have a soft feel to them. The closest thing to paper I've seen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FlexAir-Inflatable-Pillow-Ultralight-Backpacking-Travel-Medical-New-Large-Size-/273188742267

DBurn
09-06-2018, 17:06
These days I am enjoying my Wilderness Logics down pillow.
Shug of Rest

Did you get your pillow with the optional fleece?

Shug
09-06-2018, 18:47
Did you get your pillow with the optional fleece?

I did not. But got my wife one with fleece for her as she liked mine. She uses it as a knee pillow in bed.

Tikker
09-06-2018, 22:32
I ended up picking up a Klymit X Pillow (large) on a whim before my last hike.
for the packing size, it still ends up a fairly large pillow, and has kind of a ultra-suede finish, or micro fiber maybe?
either way, it's pretty decent, and I'm willing to give it a dozen more tries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vF63Md0B58