PDA

View Full Version : Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Dream arrived to day :)

SmokeBait
01-28-2010, 21:18
What a pleasant surprise to find my Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Dream tarp in the mailbox today. And like a kid on Christmas day, I just had to open it up and give it a quick pitch. The quality of seams and workmanship is excellent! All tie out points are well reinforced. I had additional side tie outs installed and they are well reinforced as well. I really like how Scott used a piece of shock cord with snap hooks on the ends to hold the end wings up and out of the way when not in use. Nice touch! There are also some snap hooks included to fasten the end wings together but they are not shown in my pictures. I installed (4) of Opie's new guy lines with the new silicone elastic and at 15 degrees, it was working fine. Those guy lines make for a real quick stake out. Weight with Opie's guy lines in the stuff sack (no ridgeline) is 1# 8oz. Overall I am extremely pleased with both the BWD and Opie's guy lines. This will be a great tarp for winter months and foul weather. Can't wait to try it on the hang I'm doing Feb 7 -10.

stumo

Rilmoigan
01-28-2010, 22:32
..I just don't dare spend the $$$ right now.:(:drool:

TOB9595
01-28-2010, 22:40
This is a ROCKIN piece of kit!
I like everything about it.
Tom

bigbamaguy
01-28-2010, 23:05
Stumo:
Congrats on the BWDD arrival. I just finished getting mine seam sealed, only taken me a month, and will give a work out Saturday night. I am working on my first DIY hammock stand and will not have it finished until Saturday after work. Enjoy the tarp and make sure to seal the ridgeline for those rainy outings.

lazy river road
01-28-2010, 23:35
That is one sweet looking tarp...I cant wait to get mine...the post man is holding it hostage :scared:

SmokeBait
01-28-2010, 23:40
Hopefully soon my friend. Thinking you'll be quite impressed.

stumo

That is one sweet looking tarp...I cant wait to get mine...the post man is holding it hostage :scared:

billvann
02-22-2010, 16:33
I received mine in the mail this weekend. Unfortunately I'm too busy to string it up yet. But I did look it over and am very impresssed with the quality of the workmanship. And Scott was very patient with me and all of my pre-order questions. Excellent product and excellent customer service. What more can you ask for???

I need to hang it in the house and seem seal so I can take it out and camp ASAP!

Thanks, Scott.

BTW, I think Scott needs to request his own manufacturer forum on the site.

sclittlefield
02-22-2010, 16:42
I received mine in the mail this weekend. Unfortunately I'm too busy to string it up yet. But I did look it over and am very impresssed with the quality of the workmanship. And Scott was very patient with me and all of my pre-order questions. Excellent product and excellent customer service. What more can you ask for???

I need to hang it in the house and seem seal so I can take it out and camp ASAP!

Thanks, Scott.

Thanks bv.

If you're able - I'd love to see some pics once you get it setup! (I actually don't have any photos of the Winter Dream in the new Treebark Brown).

BTW, I think Scott needs to request his own manufacturer forum on the site.

I certainly appreciate the sentiment. I've actually asked not to have my own thread for now. I don't dare get the higher volume of traffic (we're moving and cannot take more orders during this time), plus I need to work out a better turn around time on tarps before having a stronger, more visible presence here. I know how hard it is to wait for gear and I really feel horrible having to ask people to wait as long as I have had to - thanks to all the orders we received over the Christmas rush and into the new year. :)

Thank you though, it means a lot.

billvann
02-22-2010, 21:56
And I just ordered Opie's tarp ridge line and a set of elastic guy lins for the tarp. I'm so excited about setting up my new tarp I hope I don't forget to bring the hammock! Oh, I also ordered dutch clips too.

I'm beginning to see why some consider hammock camping a desease. :)

Shadowmoss
02-23-2010, 01:40
I also received my Winter Dream in Treebark brown this weekend. I have no yard to string it up in to seal it, so I'm going to have to improvise. I absolutely love the color, darker than I had thought it would be, which is a plus to me. Can't wait to find a place to hang it.

stormcrow
02-23-2010, 02:48
I can certainly see me with one of those in the near future. Nice work Scott. Every time I see pictures of your tarps posted I can not help but picture how my hammock will look under it! :D

Soon....soon....

lazy river road
02-23-2010, 03:44
I can certainly see me with one of those in the near future. Nice work Scott. Every time I see pictures of your tarps posted I can not help but picture how my hammock will look under it! :D

Soon....soon....

Now also picture your quilts underneath Scott's tarps :boggle: its love at first sight

Shug
02-23-2010, 09:52
I am really liking this here tarp.
Lucky, oh lucky you. doors are terrific.
Shug

Bakeel
03-11-2010, 22:36
Well mine is going to get a thorough test, I am going camping this weekend and it is going to rain like it did in Noah's time. I will have a report if I don't get carried away in the flood waters.

Knotty
03-12-2010, 11:16
If animals start approaching your hammock in pairs...

Bakeel
03-13-2010, 01:57
Posting from the hammock. Rain falling outside and I am nice and dry under my winter dream my back is toasty from perfect tree incubator. Take care and sweet dreams all.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/mjas2992/DSC01062.jpg

billvann
03-14-2010, 22:10
I really like how Scott used a piece of shock cord with snap hooks on the ends to hold the end wings up and out of the way when not in use. Nice touch!stumo

I like that too. They can also be used to stake across to the opposite side to close the door, like bakeel has doon in his picture.

But each side only has one shock cord. What have other folks used for the opposite door flap?

I know with the mitten hooks you can clip the loose side to the staked side. But what do folks do if you want to stake down both sides?

Obviously you can bring some extra line or shock cord. But I was wondering if folks have done anything different or unique to their rig yet.

P.S. I set it up tonight to seam seal, finally. Planning on a trip with the Scout troop this weekend where I'll set it up and the KAQ for the first time. I must remember to bring the camera to take some pics!

sclittlefield
03-14-2010, 22:34
I like that too. They can also be used to stake across to the opposite side to close the door, like bakeel has doon in his picture.

But each side only has one shock cord. What have other folks used for the opposite door flap?

Hey Bill - I started sending (4) of the shock cord w/hook "thingy"s with every Four Season or Winter Dream. I must've started doing so shortly after your tarp, if you only got two. I'll see if I can track a few more down and mail them out a.s.a.p.

If anyone else only got two and would like 2 more, please PM me with the request and your mailing address.

Hope you have a fantastic trip - and yes! Pictures pictures pictures!!!

billvann
03-15-2010, 07:58
Outstanding! Thanks, Scott.

Should be an easy trip. We're going to Camp Dan Beard in Wheeling, IL. It's part of the forest preserve district along the Des PLaines river. We usually select nearby camps for early spring as it lets us get the tents set up before dark. And in March we already have some new boys who joined the troop from Cub Scouts, so the easier the better.

billvann
03-29-2010, 09:52
Scott, call off the dogs!!! I found the zip-lock bag with the two extra shock cords and clips. My bad.

The tarp performed perfectly. I pitched it low as it was cold and breezy and I wanted to keep the heat in as much as possible. I also cheated and used a catalytic heater, something that came up on another thread. My wife gave me one 8 years ago that I used once. So I dusted off the box and tossed it in the car. I wish I had a thermometer with me so I could report the inside temp, but it was comfortable. The outside temp was down to 30 and I was toasty in my Guide Gear fleece, KAQ UQ and my Exponant 30 bag as a TQ. But the fuel ran out early in the morning and I got a little chilled, mostly because I made a rookie mistake suspending the UQ. But I was still comfortable, not cold. Just a bit chilled on my torso.

I have a few pictures but they're still on my camera. Unfortunately, one of the other leaders, a ground dweller, literally pitched his tent next to my tarp. He was so close we could have shared a few stakes! (I think he was hoping to be downwind of my heater. :-)

The double-ended stuff sack didn't work out as well as I thought it would. In part becasue I use Opie's tarp ridge line that employes nylon toggles to attach to the ridhe D rings. They come out too easily when there's no tension on the line, such as when your setting up and taking down. I ended up packing it without the line, which sort of defeats the idea of the double-sided stuff sack being used like a BlackBishop bag.

I may opt for snake skins like I have for my hammock as that's such a quick, easy way to set up. But I need to figure a way to lock the toggles in the D-rings. I'll post that problem in Opie's forum.

sclittlefield
03-29-2010, 14:22
Scott, call off the dogs!!! I found the zip-lock bag with the two extra shock cords and clips. My bad.

I just happen to have two large dogs... they'll be disappointed on the call back. :)

I'm pretty sure I mailed you two more - so you'll have backups now. :)

Thanks so much for the trip report. I'm glad it went well!

The tarp performed perfectly.

Great news! :shades:

I have a few pictures but they're still on my camera.

Pictures Pictures Pictures!

The double-ended stuff sack didn't work out as well as I thought it would.

I may opt for snake skins like I have for my hammock as that's such a quick, easy way to set up. But I need to figure a way to lock the toggles in the D-rings. I'll post that problem in Opie's forum.

If you decide against skins and want to go with a standard stuff sack, just toss me a message and I'll post you a regular Winter Dream stuff sack. They're in storage now (during the home sale endeavor), so it may take me a bit to find them, but it shouldn't be a problem.

billvann
03-29-2010, 15:21
One of the other leaders posted a pic as I started to break down the rig. Hence the noob's tent is gone. (As I was sleeping comfortably in my hammock I might add).

http://www.troop149mchenry.org/BreakingCamp.jpg

(note the "like new" Coleman heater box at the right ;) I think I may have to crop this image and reload it later!)