PDA

View Full Version : Rectangular vs fitted

jbo_c
01-29-2010, 08:30
Paul

Do you think that there would be any advantage in adding darts to help fit a rectangular quilt to a standard gathered end hammock?

Or do you think it would just add complexity without any real payback?

Thanks.

Jbo

jbo_c
01-29-2010, 10:41
In case this seems unrelated to this forum, I ask here because of the New River line which is flat rectangular if I'm right. Thought experience with these would make for a well educated answer.

Jbo

pgibson
01-29-2010, 10:41
Morning jbo_c, I think that it may help to a degree. So far though I have found the the climashield I am using has a fair bit of flexibility and drapes very well. Adding some darts would not hurt anything but would add a good bit more time to making a quilt. Some quilts just take more time than others and that's a big part of the range of cost that we all see in different quilts. Down quilts take a lot more labor, that is a bigger difference than the actual cost of materials. For a DIY project darts would not be a bad thing to consider, for me trying to keep things as reasonably priced as possible for folks it would raise the cost some, how much is hard to say without making a couple quilts and seeing how much more time it would add to each quilt.

pgibson
01-29-2010, 10:42
In case this seems unrelated to this forum, I ask here because of the New River line which is flat rectangular if I'm right. Thought experience with these would make for a well educated answer.

Jbo

Thats what I figured you were referring to. :D

cavscout
01-29-2010, 10:51
I own a New River and I honestly don't see a need for it to be fitted. The gathered end method has worked very well for me in a 3 season camping schedule. Unless I was getting into an extreme cold situation where minimizing the amount of space to heat and minimizing heat loss is more necessary I don't think I would buy a fitted quilt. The option to flatten the New River out and use it as a top quilt is much more valuable to me. Just my opinion, YMMV.

pgibson
01-29-2010, 11:01
That as well is a good point Cavscout. The other thing that you have as an option with the current design is the ability to vent the quilt, head or foot or both without loosening the suspension. On a full length quilt like the NR loosening the quilt suspension will allow a lot of sag in the quilt, but loosening the end gathers will allow for venting on warm nights when you may not want max warmth from the quilt. Darts in the end would change that ability.

jbo_c
01-29-2010, 11:17
Good points.

I'm really going back and forth on this line of thought.

Cav, how cold have you had yours?

Jbo

cavscout
01-29-2010, 11:25
Into the mid to high 40's with light wind. I was wearing some thin sweats and used a double layer poncho liner for a top quilt. Snug as a bug in a rug.

oldgringo
01-29-2010, 11:30
Into the mid to high 40's with light wind. I was wearing some thin sweats and used a double layer poncho liner for a top quilt. Snug as a bug in a rug.

High 30's, here...UA longies and sweats.

jbo_c
01-29-2010, 11:31
I wonder if maybe for a cold weather option the darts would be worth the effort but for 3 season use maybe not a real payback.

Jbo

pgibson
01-29-2010, 11:34
Possibly, but you also run into the limitations of Climashield at some point also :(

cavscout
01-29-2010, 11:34
If I was going to change one thing about a flat UQ, it would be to make the ends slightly "convex" or curved out, Figure A below. This would give you a bit more coverage under your feet and head in the event that the quilt does shift to one end or the other. Not a big issue since the Long New River still is longer than my 5'10" body but that little mod could make some difference. Of course, since I've never made an UQ, that little mod could really complicate production :)

Something like so

http://www.oconeeleatherworks.com/formmod.jpg

What happens now is what you see in figure B. By putting a convex radius on the ends of the quilt I believe you would end up with something like Figure C when it's cinched up.

lazy river road
01-29-2010, 11:36
jbo c, I ordered The Burrow from Stormcrow and initially when ordreding it I asked him for a rectangular TQ for many of the same reasons that you are stating. I wanted it to be versitle enough for summer and warm enough for winter use. By being able to open it up completly but in the winter have it closed off. What Stormcrow explained to me was that by not having a sewn in foot box, when it is closed off during the winter then you will have to much air flow in the foot box so it wont keep you as warm, but if it is fitted, then the down snuggles up against your feet creating warmth. In the summer I will just take my feet out of the foot box. Also I am figureing that for really warm weather I will just use a fleece liner from a sleeping bag paired with my Winter Ptarmigan and hope that gets me down to the 50's. Remember most of your warmth comes from the under insulation. So I went with the sew in foot box (as per Stormcrow's advice) so when I winter camp I will have ultimate warmth, and in summer and really warm months ill use a fleece blanket or a light claimshield quilt of some sorts. HOpe this helps, I know some of these decisions are hard to make. Makes you want to buy one of everything from every vendor :)

jbo_c
01-29-2010, 11:46
More good points - the limitations of the CS being particularly so.

Now I'm back to leaning toward plain rectangle. It's a wonder I don't get sea sick.

Jbo

Kerflop
02-03-2010, 13:11
I have been down to 9 degrees with a CCF pad from Wallyworld. Wearing polypro base layer with a fleece pants and top and wool socks and liner. Nice and warm with my 20degree down bag.

MacEntyre
02-03-2010, 16:20
If I was going to change one thing about a flat UQ...
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a hammock. Couldn't cutting the ends on a full curve, just like you drew, eliminate the cut-across-the-leg syndrome?

oldgringo
02-03-2010, 16:28
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a hammock. Couldn't cutting the ends on a full curve, just like you drew, eliminate the cut-across-the-leg syndrome?

My thoughts, too.

I was thinking sort of a cat cut, to get a more equal distribution of the load.

The downside is, It will probably wrap you up pretty tight. A bridge, with no spreader bars.:scared:

A diagonal lay might be hard to come by, but then, you might not need one.

Interesting.

warbonnetguy
02-03-2010, 16:34
i don't think that will do what you're hoping. you'll basically get the same results you get from shortening the sides like ed does in the whip stage.

cavscout
02-03-2010, 16:38

I'm not sure. I have CALS in my SB Pro and had thought about solving it by making the center shallower by essentially making the ends concave instead of convex. This would make me have to line up the long outer edges with the shorter inner edge to gather it and in effect make the edges looser and the center taught-er and shallower. If the above makes no sense, that's why I've not executed my evil plan on my hammock yet :)

MacEntyre
02-03-2010, 17:44
i don't think that will do what you're hoping. you'll basically get the same results you get from shortening the sides like ed does in the whip stage.
You are exactly right! That's just what it did. The sides are very tall. There is a significant belly in the foot and head, before you get inside, but it disappears when you load the hammock.

I cut the material 60"X10.5' and put about a 6" deep full cut on each end.

Here is is with Thing1 inside... she's about 5'6" tall, and is swallowed up! In the last 2 pics, she is sitting up...

I do like a long hammock, though!

P.S. There is no cut across the leg... but I think that is because the hammock is long!

P.P.S. You could put velcro on the side edges, and make a sock hammock with this thing!

oldgringo
02-03-2010, 18:16
What about the center ridge, Mac? Was it minimized at all?

MacEntyre
02-03-2010, 18:28
What about the center ridge, Mac? Was it minimized at all?
As I said, there was no cut across the leg at all, but it might have been because the thing is so long!

oldgringo
02-03-2010, 18:36
As I said...

I missed that entyrely...that's the problem with edits.:lol:

MacEntyre
02-03-2010, 19:04
You are too quick, Dave!

Peter_pan
02-03-2010, 20:01
Paul

Do you think that there would be any advantage in adding darts to help fit a rectangular quilt to a standard gathered end hammock?

Or do you think it would just add complexity without any real payback?

Thanks.

Jbo

Back to the topic.

With down quilts there is no advantage to complicating darts... Rectangular quilts fit just fine as UQ, especially if they incorporate a center pull on the foot end.

Pan

pgibson
02-03-2010, 20:14
Back to the topic.

I may be mistaken but I did not think the OP was asking about down quilts or design there of, but thanks for the input any way.

Peter_pan
02-04-2010, 07:19
Paul,

There was so much thread drift, when I went back to check the original question and read it it did not state material or design... did not notice the section...that is the trouble with scanning, when time is limited. ;)

Pan

MacEntyre
02-04-2010, 07:43
Sorry about the thread drift, folks...

jbo_c
02-09-2010, 10:14
Based on the feedback, I've decided to stick with rectangular for this one. Started the channels for the draw cords last night.

Since I'm building this one, I'll post further updates in the appropriate sub-category.

Thanks for the helpful comments.