PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wanting opinions and suggestions on hammock replacement beds

Smittens173
08-13-2017, 11:39
Hey everyone!

I'm fully new to this world and been wanting to replace my bed for a hammock. It was finally the right time so wanted to get everyone's opinion. I have been searching this forum like crazy and below is what i gathered so far but wanted to confirm as well. :)

So I am thinking of getting a Brazilian hammock. What length and width is recommend? Was thinking like 11 feet but really not sure. Is there a site people recommend buying it from? I want a really comfy one and currently live in buffalo. Though i will be moving to the PNW area soon. Probably portland. I'm only 5 foot tall. I will probably have my cavalier king Charles sleep with me so should I get a wider one? How wide? Does anyone sleep on their with their dog? He already sleeps on my neck or face still or has to be next to me so i know it will be the same in the hammock. He will also wear socks just incase so no ripping happens. On a bed i sleep on my sides and i dunno if that alters the type of hammock i should get.

Finally as much as I'd like to hang it on the wall i can't and was wondering what stand do you recommend me buying? I was thinking of the ceara stand but was unsure. I will take measurements of the room tomorrow to see what stands would work. I am sure after a while i will get into DIY stands and make my own maybe like turtlelady's but until that jump would like to buy a stand.

I know and have seen a lot of people post here how they still sleep in a hammock everynight. Anything i should know in general about the transistion or anything else that i just havent thought of or know yet?

And i want to do this for lots of reasons including all the benifits i have read about them. I am excited and cant wait to start it!!! After i get everything i will def post in the introduction page as well. :)

jms53
08-13-2017, 12:00
Hammockwise I don't think there is such a large difference in what you get except for one thing: material.

You want something breathable and cheap. This way if you sweat during the night it doesn't pool. And cheap (relative) so that if you need to replace it, said replacement hurts less.

I would recomment making a pod out of an pld sleeping bag rather than an underquilt, probs a little easier to manage temperature like that.

As for the dog... natural foot warmer ;)

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

leiavoia
08-13-2017, 14:32
Get the Vivere 14' Brazilian hammock and separate Vivere 15' stand from Amazon if you cannot simply put Eyebolts in the studs. Having a stand will let you take it outside if the weather is nice.

Do not buy any of the many short hammock stands that fold the ends of the fabric down. More length is more comfortable.

Smittens173
08-13-2017, 14:50
Get the Vivere 14' Brazilian hammock and separate Vivere 15' stand from Amazon if you cannot simply put Eyebolts in the studs. Having a stand will let you take it outside if the weather is nice.

Do not buy any of the many short hammock stands that fold the ends of the fabric down. More length is more comfortable.

Does it matter if its the arc version or the steal beam version? I assume the vivere stand is than better than the ceara.

Tikker
08-13-2017, 17:53
imo the vivere are better stands, but I'm biased by having a vivere in my sunroom

the version itself mostly comes down to aesthetics

Phantom Grappler
08-13-2017, 18:32

Leiavoia is right about getting a long hammock...
12 is the shortest I'd get.
I have a 12x6 gathered end hammock for camping and it's comfortable--little or no calfridge pressure, plenty of room for feet--no foot scrunch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smittens173
08-13-2017, 20:41

So i maybe able to do the stud thing. If i can how far apart should the studs be? I thought i read 10 feet apartbut sonce yhe stand is 15 is that what it should be? We think the room is 8ft by 10 ft

Just measured and the room is 119 inches by 127 inches. If there are studs 10 feet apart can you hang them in a cornor of the room?

Phantom Grappler
08-13-2017, 21:57
Maybe corners, near ceiling--strongest part of wall. Hope attachments are secure, and hope the owner is good with it.

leiavoia
08-13-2017, 23:31
Put bolts in opposite corners of the room for maximum length. I have in times past put a bolt in the back of the closet just to get the extra few feet. This is a much easier, cheaper, and more comfortable option than buying the stand. The stand does not allow the hammock to sag much which means it is much less comfortable. Bolts should be placed exactly in the center of a stud at about 6 feet high.

Smittens173
08-14-2017, 00:12
Thanks!! I'm def going to hire a licensed & insured handyman to help. Maybe do the load over a few studs. - will see what he reccomends. I'm going to use tha hammock calc too. Now once that is done a stupid question is how do you get the angle of the hammock from a wall hang? I know it should be like 30 degrees.

Phantom Grappler
08-14-2017, 10:08
Hammock calculator should help with hang angle, height of wall attachment and height of hammock from floor.
A homemade stand might be more cost effective than hiring a contractor.
Maybe a triangle of 2x4 flat against both walls with a "ridge pole" spreader attached to both triangles and flush with ceiling. Bottom 2x4 on triangles can be toenailed into floor at walls. Tops of triangles can be screwed into a stud to eliminate wobble.

Or a freestanding stand not touching walls?
This is my best guess.
Good luck Smittens!