PDA

View Full Version : Ahead of its time? Old thread , super modular hammock.....

Chesapeake
08-16-2017, 06:29
I stumbled across this thread from 2012 on the ", Versa shelter" modular hammock. Its got some pretty neat design features that while kinda complicated, make it the most versatile and modular Hammock ive seen. Think Chameleon but not as refined. Theresna link to the kick starter on this https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/69113-Support-VersaShelter-KickStarter-project! . At the top of the KS page is a 14 min video that shows all the modular features of the system. I think its pretty neat!

JmBoh
08-16-2017, 07:30
Clever design. Cool use of hook and loop with that "zip strip".

Chesapeake
08-16-2017, 08:18
Yeah I thought the that was pretty neat. Overall I think it might me just a little TOO much, but I really like the concept of how everything is modular and the "zip strip" let's you attach different options and still enter/exit w/o the quilt bunching up or falling out if its zipped in too. Also the UQ attachment is something ive been wondering about myself, almost like Sheltowee - regular hammock hybrid. A full length quilt attached that way would be perfect at lower temps I think... No slippage or cold spots. I wonder if it had been released by an already established cottage manufacturer if it would have done better ? Maybe streamline or simplify the design a little first, but I think the concept is great. Look at some of the hammocks now that have modularity too them. I think, as replies to the original post stated, that kick starter kinda doomed it from the start. But look how well the Chameleon did, and its ultra modular. Maybe this one was just a little too complex and before its time?

Chesapeake
08-16-2017, 08:28
One negative that I did notice is that the hammock that was offered was on the short side' , so I doubt it would work with just any hammock.

snwcmpr
08-16-2017, 08:34
Isn't the zipper set up backwards? Shouldn't the zipper pulls end up in the middle not the ends?

gunner76
08-16-2017, 08:44
I own one of those hammocks ( won it in a giveaway by the maker ) and its main innovation was how modular it is. The UQ ( which I did not get ) and bug net used velcro to attach to the hammock. Neat idea.

The velcro is also its biggest drawback. One had to pretty much get the velcro lined up perfectly and if there was a small gap you had to separate the velcro and start again. The hammock length was ok but it could have been a bit longer and it was definitely too narrow for me ( I am 6ft2 )

Has been a few years since I played with so I might have to break it out of storage and set it up again and see if my opinion of it has changed,

Flash Grundelore
08-16-2017, 09:05
I own one of those hammocks ( won it in a giveaway by the maker ) and its main innovation was how modular it is. The UQ ( which I did not get ) and bug net used velcro to attach to the hammock. Neat idea.

The velcro is also its biggest drawback. One had to pretty much get the velcro lined up perfectly and if there was a small gap you had to separate the velcro and start again. The hammock length was ok but it could have been a bit longer and it was definitely too narrow for me ( I am 6ft2 )

Has been a few years since I played with so I might have to break it out of storage and set it up again and see if my opinion of it has changed,

We'd love to see a couple of photos... 'least I would...

Chesapeake
08-16-2017, 09:21

Oh cool. I didn't know there were any made. I could def see the problem of lining the velco up. If you do get it out and hang, let us know how it goes. Ive been thinking of a similar way to try and attach an UQ for a while now and always wondered if it would work, and if so why it hasn't been done already. I would think that attaching it that way would eliminate all possibilities for slipping off the shoulder or feet, get rid of any place for cold air to sneak in on the sides but still let you vent it on the ends ? Other than this hammock, has anyone else attached a quilt that way?

gunner76
08-16-2017, 19:55
If you do get it out and hang, let us know how it goes.

I will check and see if I have any pictures in my data base and if not I will take some for you. Might be a few days due to work schedule.

Other than this hammock, has anyone else attached a quilt that way?

None that I am aware of.

Chesapeake
08-17-2017, 05:41
Cool, thanks gunner.

Dutch
08-17-2017, 19:53
Thank you for finding that. It was ahead of its time and I bet that kick starter would easily be funded today.