PDA

View Full Version : DIY underquilt

bayou joe
01-29-2010, 18:31
Hi, guys. Newbie here. I have a gathered end DIY hammock and I'm working on a low cost underquilt. Found a polyester comforter at Wally World for $5.00- good for an experiement. I've been experimenting with just doubling it and tying it up under the hammock and it works well. The idea I had was to leave a pocket between the layers to insert a blue pad or something else. Something else I thought of was to let the bottom layer hang below the top layer by an inch or so to create a dead air space. Any thoughts?

I'm not concerned too much about weight or bulk because I normally camp out of a boat.

slowhike
01-29-2010, 19:25
Welcome to HF Joe.
I think it would work just fine. I have used the cheap, poly, sheet type insulation from wallyworld to make an insulated hammock, & it did fine.
I think some of the more expensive synthetic insulations will give you more warmth w/ less weight & bulk, & I suspect they will hold up better over time, especially if you are cramming them into a stuff sack & pulling them out often. But cheaper options can work fine.
BTW... you probably know this but, you don't want to store insulation stuffed in a sack for longer than necessary.

Once when car camping, I used an acrylic blanket as an underquilt so a friend could sleep warm in an extra hammock. Worked fine.
You'll just have to experiment to see how cool of temps that set up will keep you warm in.
The ccf pad will add warmth for sure, but instead of putting it between the layers of the folded comforter, I would put it between the comforter & the hammock. That way, the ccf won't stop moister evaporating from your body, trapping it in the inside layer of the comforter.

bayou joe
01-29-2010, 20:14
Thanks for the reply, slowhike. I figure it will work fine, too. Not as light and compact as down, but not as expensive either. On the subject of a vapor barrier. My hammock is made of ripstop nylon with a waterproof coating (silnylon?). Does that suffice as a vapor barrier?

bayou joe
02-01-2010, 20:06
I figure I could cut it down some( it's 100" long now) to save some bulk and maybe spray a little Scotchguard on it to turn away moisture. I realize it's a $5.00 experiment, so if it doesn't work out I will have learned a lot. I do like the feeling of laying on the hammock instead of fighting one of those blue pads.

J.

MacEntyre
02-01-2010, 20:35
Welcome!

See if you can think of a dual purpose aboard your boat, so that UQ will be more useful.

JohnSawyer
02-03-2010, 20:41
Check the sewing videos. RamblinRev mentioned he has cut cheap comfortors into working underquilts.

My first cheap DIY-quilt (other than a sleeping bag mod) was made with $1.50 WW fabric, some high-loft batting with grosgrain tie-outs, and elastic drawcords. It didn't work too well until I washed it. (the batting was too stiff.) It doesn't compress like climashield, but for $10 in materials, it proved the concept.

Size: 48"x60".

vitamaltz
02-03-2010, 20:47
Good idea. It gets you hanging, and that's all that matters. I've hung quite a bit in Louisana in the winter and was suprised how cold the nights can get, even if the days are always beautiful.

I'd love it if you could post some bayou camping photos. There's not enough water to putter around in an outboard for 80 miles in any direction of me.

bayou joe
02-04-2010, 00:05
I was surprised that it kept me warm to 50* with just a fleece throw over me. In my 25* bag, with stocking cap and neck gaiter and a couple of light layers, I was comfy down to the mid 30's. I did add a torso sized piece of blue pad between the layers to protect my butt and shoulder area. Wind affects the comfort level so I'll need some kind of under cover.

Here's what I camp out of. Homemade pirogue.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa106/Bayouboy1954/onshells.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa106/Bayouboy1954/ontolake.jpg

The quest continues.

J.

MacEntyre
02-04-2010, 06:13
Homemade pirogue.
That is a sweet looking stitch and glue vessel! :boggle:

bayou joe
02-04-2010, 06:46
Thanks, Mac. It is actually built the old way - 1/4" douglas fir marine plywood nailed and glued to bottom chines. LOTS of nails. I originallly built it with no fiberglass or resin, but have since glassed the bottom to protect from the odd cypress knee. She's got well over 300 miles on her.

J.

MacEntyre
02-04-2010, 06:55
It is actually built the old way...
:thumbup: That's the method that inspired stitch and glue... you just didn't pull the nails & tape the inside of the seams.

kayaknut01
02-04-2010, 07:36
really nice looking floater joe, i am taking classes at a local kayak shop on how to build "kit yaks" when we are done, one of us gets the boat!!!! really like yours!!!

Walking Bear
02-04-2010, 13:56
Nicer looking boat Joe. Someday I want to build some kind of wooden boat.

jbo_c
02-04-2010, 21:04
Don't wait. It's awesome!

But it's at least as addictive as DIY camping gear.

Jbo

bayou joe
02-04-2010, 21:43
Yes, boatbuilding is also addicting. I have a stitch and glue kayak in the works right now. I've got about another month to go. It's taking forever because of the cold and rain.

J.

bayou joe
02-04-2010, 21:49
I've been reading the specs on down vs. synthetic and have noticed something. Inch for inch, the insulating value for synthetic is about the same as for down. So, if I'm OK with the extra weight and bulk of synthetic, there's no need for the added expense of down. I've slept down to the low 30's with my synthetic mummy bag and was plenty warm.

J.

bloomgorge
02-05-2010, 18:24
has anyone ever tried using the fill from a household down comforter in a DIY hammock UQ? i found some local comforters on craigslist and was thinking about picking one up. the jo-ann fabric near me has ripstop on sale for $3.50/yd and I have most of the other things. My only concern is if down from a household comforter can be used in a UQ.

jbo_c
02-06-2010, 19:11
It can, but is lower quality/less efficient,compressible. Not a bad choice if it's a good deal. There's a comforter at my house that I've been watching for my wife to quit watching, but I think she's on to me.

Jbo

bloomgorge
02-06-2010, 19:59
@jbo - that was pretty funny. i got the same response when i asked if we had a comforters we didn't use. i found one on c/l but after checking ours out along with down pillows we have i don't think it'll work. seems to be a synthetic mix with down so instead i'm going to buy some loose down off the internet. so far i'm in the hole $30 and the down will probably cost me around $50 with shipping, I'm guessing the whole thing will cost me $100. i'm sowing the top and bottom together and the baffles as well. If I hose up the assembly i'll just stratch the project and look at purchasing one.

jbo_c
02-06-2010, 22:12
I've got some Climashield. Hope to finish my first synthetic this week. Actually, I'm planning to make 3 UQs and a TQ - but it'll take a couple of weeks to get them all done.

My daughter holds her down comforter pretty tight when she sleeps, so it'll be a while before I try down.

Jbo