PDA

View Full Version : Noob question on ridgeline/tarp line

Bearkat9293
08-22-2017, 19:51
This site has a lot of information. I'm just getting started with hammocking. I was reading on ridgelines and was think adding to my setup. It is kinda overwhelming with the information of knots, whoopie slings, etc. My question is should a ridgeline or tarp line be made of zing-it or amsteel? Can a whoopie sling be made with zing-it? Where best place to buy amsteel or zing-it? Thanks for all info

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

SilvrSurfr
08-22-2017, 20:52
Zing-it 1.75 mm (400 lb. average strength) is great for ridgelines, tie-outs and I also use it for bear bags. Zing-It 2.2 mm is also good for the same (580 lb. average strength), but for people who are a bit more paranoid and want the stronger rope. I started with Zing-It 2.2 mm but quickly moved to Zing-It 1.75, because it works for me (165 lbs.) and is strong enough for my ridgeline.

Amsteel 7/64 (1600 lbs. breaking strength) is overkill for a ridgeline, but some people do it. The goal for a hammock suspension is a 5-to-1 or 10-to-1 ratio of breaking strength to personal weight. So in my case, my Amsteel 7/64 whoopie slings have a 9.6-to-1 ratio.

You will occasionally hear of people trying to use Zing-it as a hammock suspension, but it is very rare, ill-advised, and perhaps comes from a "weight-weenie" mentality that might cause you a sore butt/back when it breaks. I know of no cottage vendor selling Zing-It hammock suspensions.

Dutch sells both Amsteel and Zing-it. Some other places I've bought from include wesspur and westmarine. Several cottage vendors sell both.