PDA

View Full Version : Bugnet at MAHHA ?

Chesapeake
08-25-2017, 19:59
Im sure most of you know my ability to draw every insect and spider within a mile radius to my hammock once I put it up. So, that said, last year at MAHHA I had my HH classic, so no way to go netless, and it was earlier in the month. I didn't notice a lot of bugs, but there were several of you going netless. Now that I have my XLC and my diy hammock w/ the chill gorilla bug net, I have the option of taking either and using or not using a net. What is the general census ? Do you use the net no matter what, or go topless since the bugs aren't an issue there?

sqidmark
08-25-2017, 20:55
Unless you're hiking up from Maryland, it's car camping, bring it with ya and decide to use or not as the conditions dictate.

Chesapeake
08-25-2017, 22:16
Unless you're hiking up from Maryland, it's car camping, bring it with ya and decide to use or not as the conditions dictate.

I was already planning on bringing it, just wondering how comfortable others are that time of year without it there. Here at home after I learned my lesson least year with the bug in my ear incident I won't even think about it until I can hear a mouse fart from across the bay bc its so dead quiet from all living things being frozen solid. And I mean frozen solid, not frosty lol. I'd rather it be off but not at the cost of sleeping with a spider. Yeah, I'm a sissy like that lol.

fallkniven
08-25-2017, 22:55
I only use a net in july and august, and still only when it's buggy out. I've never used one at a mahha, it's usually too cold for them.

NarlocB
08-26-2017, 08:46
Im sure most of you know my ability to draw every insect and spider within a mile radius to my hammock once I put it up. So, that said, last year at MAHHA I had my HH classic, so no way to go netless, and it was earlier in the month. I didn't notice a lot of bugs, but there were several of you going netless. Now that I have my XLC and my diy hammock w/ the chill gorilla bug net, I have the option of taking either and using or not using a net. What is the general census ? Do you use the net no matter what, or go topless since the bugs aren't an issue there?

Bring all three, change one as needed. :)

iconicflux
08-28-2017, 12:04
I'd use a net. Got a tick that literally dropped right onto me last year and I didn't find it until it had been attached for a couple days. I felt it drop, I just couldn't find it and then convinced myself I must just be paranoid. Had to go through the whole antibiotic treatment for lyme after I found it.

First tick that ever got me... sooo pissed. :(

Wanderlost
08-29-2017, 09:02
Historically, I'm one to use a bug net most of the year; however, for about the past year and a half or so, I've been using it less and less (the same goes for my tarp, but that's a separate discussion). Usually, by mid-September, the nights are getting cool enough that I don't worry about it. That being said, I keep my gear permethrined. My face is usually the only thing exposed and if the temp is still above mid-60s when I go to bed, I'll put on my picardin lotion for added protection. Ticks though...I'm always supervigilant with ticks. I'll check myself morning, noon, and night...pretty much every opportunity that presents a full check.

For MAHHA though? I'm not planning to bring one. I may include it in my loner kit just to be safe though.