PDA

View Full Version : NoSeeUm Tarp Skins With Guy Line Storage.

headchange4u
07-01-2007, 12:05
I decided that I was going to make a set of python/snake skins for my tarp from NoSeeUm mesh. I made them from NoSeeUm because I wanted to be able to strap my wet tarp to the outside of my pack so that it can dry while hiking.

Python/snake skins for a hammock or tarp is nothing new. I know some members here have already made skins from mesh and Hennessy Hammocks sell a silnylon version of the skins.

For reference I used the tutorial on Jeff's homemade gear site (http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockTubes.html) and the JRB site (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/DIY.htm) also has a tutorial for making skins. Please refer to these tutorials for more detailed instructions on making a skin.

When I started to make my mesh skins I thought it would be nice to have some way of storing and securing the tarp guy lines to keep them out of the way while the tarp was strapped to the outside of my pack. Here what I came up with:

This is the basic dimension of the NoSeeUm that I will be using to make these skins:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/DIMENSIONS2.jpg

After measuring and cutting out the skins I layed the narrow end of the skins on a piece of paper and traced out a pattern for the pockects (1.). Next I used the pattern to cut out the pockect (2.) Before I started sewing the skins I also added a roll hem to the wide end of the pockect (3.).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/NoSeeUmskins005.jpg

Next I lined up the narrow end of the the skin and the narrow end of the pocket and rolled them together into a hem.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/NoSeeUmskins009.jpg

After this step you continue to make the skins as normal, sewing the long edges together to form a tube. VERY IMPORTANT! Make sure the pocket portion is located inside the tube when you are sewing. That way the pocket will be on the outside once you finish your sewing and turn the skin inside out. Here a pic of the pocket end before flipping it inside out:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/NoSeeUmskins010.jpg

Once you finish sewing the length of the tube finish the skins by putting a roll hem on the wide end. You may have to trim some material off the wide end to make things straight. After finishing the hem on the wide end I also insert a wire tie into the hem to the skin to help it go over the tarp when breaking down camp. The wire tie is an optional step, but it makes things a little easier. Here's the finished product:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/NoSeeUmskins014.jpg

Once you have pulled the skins over the tarp you simply wind the guy lines up and tuck them in the pocket at the end of the tube. Keeps everything nice and neat.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/NoSeeUmskins019.jpg

blackbishop351
07-01-2007, 13:22
Cool project, man!

I find the different ways people go about constructing the same gear really interesting. When I make skins, I cut them so the ends are parallel, hem the ends first then the long edge, and leave the long edge hem outside so it doesn't snag on the tarp. I do use a wire tie on one half of the skins, but I put a drawstring on the other half so there's no chance of them slipping off the tarp.

I might be trying your pocket idea soon...I've also got a tarp-specific BB sack in the works, so this would be a good piece to compare with.

slowhike
07-01-2007, 14:47
nicely laid out instructions headchange. i really like the pockets. that's a great addition. ...tim

TeeDee
07-01-2007, 19:39
Great idea. I like that pocket. It really solves a nagging problem.

I do like BB351 does in constructing the skins. I use grosgrain on the seam though and leave it on the outside also like BB351 does.

One thing I've been doing with my skins though. I use one long skin from end to end instead of 2 skins that meet in the middle. I was having trouble with pulling the skins towards the middle. I always ended up with a balloon there and trying to get the air out was a hassle since the silnyl is air tight. I solved that by just rolling and pulling the skins the whole length of the tarp from one end. No balloon any more. Also, I don't taper the skins for the tarp since there was no more bulge in the middle.

schrochem
07-01-2007, 21:16
nice job.
I like the pocket also!
AND I like Tee Dee's idea of one long parallel one....that'd be easy to make!

headchange4u
07-04-2007, 11:32
BTW, I weighed the skins today. Finished weight 1.4oz for the pair.

Hooch
07-04-2007, 11:35
HC, very slick piece of gear, man. I would have never thought of that myself. It goes to show you that there's no limit to the kinds of variations there are to already existing gear or to the gear that people can produce with a little thinking.

Bird Dog
07-07-2007, 03:34
Awesome. Cant wait to start mine using your instructions. BD

Coffee
07-07-2007, 22:45
Cool Idea. Right now I just wrap mine around the skins.

I read it somewhere, I think from the jacks, to put a wire tie in the large end seam to make them easier to use. I think they make a huge difference.

Amy
08-11-2007, 09:52
headchange4u, Thanks so much!! I was just doing a search to make sure it's no-seeum that people are using for their mesh skins, before I order some. Now I have instructions with an extra touch!

Hammock Engineer, in the second pic from the bottom you can see the cable tie in the big end of the skin. (If you see this while on your thru-hike, good luck with everything!)

---Amy

beeman
10-14-2008, 21:19
Just tried the pattern with nylon, on an Ed Speers hammock with the fitted underquilt. definitely too small. When I get the size right I will repost. Until then I plan to use this excellent set of skins on another tarp I have.:D

headchange4u
10-15-2008, 09:22
Just tried the pattern with nylon, on an Ed Speers hammock with the fitted underquilt. definitely too small. When I get the size right I will repost. Until then I plan to use this excellent set of skins on another tarp I have.:D

The plans are for a tarp so they will be pretty narrow. Try using the measurement of 22-24" on the wide end and 8" on the narrow end and see how that works for you.

beeman
10-15-2008, 11:56
The plans are for a tarp so they will be pretty narrow. Try using the measurement of 22-24" on the wide end and 8" on the narrow end and see how that works for you.

I just remade one 7" at the small and 18" at the large. Worked OK and I have used the first ones I made on the tarp.
I put a finger loop on the little end to tie to the strap and hold it in place when I skin the rest of it.

They are both very handy! Thanks for the ideas!

ricegravy
01-14-2009, 19:19
This was my first DIY attempt. I liked your design with the pockets at the ends, so I figured I would give it a try. I went over to my mother-in-laws house and she let me use her “Gear Making Machine”. I have never used a “Gear Making Machine” before, but she said it’s just like driving a car. I hit the gas and off I went!! I had no idea it would be so much fun, but I am very happy with the finished product and I figured I would post a couple of pictures. I made my skins out of 1.1oz ripstop nylon. Sewn with polyester thread at about 65mph. I made my skins a little over sized to fit my soon to be delivered MacCat Deluxe.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/3/3/0/p1060898_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4756&c=4)

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/3/3/0/p1060902_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4757&c=4)

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/3/3/0/p1060904_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=4758&c=4)

Ramblinrev
01-14-2009, 19:24
Another convert to the DIY support group.. It's contagious.

Jupiterl
06-22-2009, 19:44
This was my first DIY project and I made two sets one for my BB hammock and one for the SWT tarp. The instructions are great, the only thing is that the pocket is too small for the BB straps. Thank you.

Hangin' Burrito
08-16-2009, 05:02
Going DIY is the only way to go! Why pay retail for an inferior product?

It's such an encouragement to me and, no doubt others to hear folks making their own gear. Cheaper, better quality, and you've got the joy of saying,"Yeah, I made that myself!":thumbup:

Keep at it ya'll and "Hang" in there!!!

Hangin' Burrito

Clumseybear
10-01-2010, 21:27
This is great, I am always struggling with the tie outs and cords on the tarp. Now its back to the store for more no see um. I'll have a set of these by the end of the weekend.

GaHammockGuy
10-26-2010, 12:30
That's COOL, Man....... Cool.....

Cutter
10-26-2010, 13:01
I used your plans, but did not have that much mesh. I subed some camo nylon that I thought was going to be waterproof and wasn't.

I did use mesh for the pockets and lined with gg and even put a little pull tab on the larger opening.

thanks

cutter

^shane^
10-27-2010, 17:38
VERY IMPORTANT! Make sure the pocket portion is located inside the tube when you are sewing. That way the pocket will be on the outside once you finish your sewing and turn the skin inside out.

Just finished two sets of skins from these plans. I changed to dimensions a bit - 6" on narrow end and 12" on wide end. I only forgot to make sure the pocket portion was on the inside on one of the four :cursing::crying:cursing:. These fit nicely over the wife's current tarp (Noah's Tarp 12). Hoping they will fit as well over the Big Mamajamba that is on order.

Thanks for the plans!

Backtrack
11-06-2010, 21:19
Great plans! Just finished a set for my superfly and they work great! I made the large end 1'' smaller. Thanks for the info.....

kc7fys
11-08-2010, 05:59
Ha ha... Mine look almost exactly like the originals pictured here--but they fit too loosely on my 11' rectangular 1.5oz sil tarp. I also did the obvious: ended up with one pocket inside the tube.
Big deal--that longitudinal cut gives me another piece of bugnet for another set. I can always use extras. Excellent plans--and add a strip of zip tie inside the double seam on the big end. It's the only way to go.
KC7FYS

EDIT: Correction--luckily, the problem was my idiocy, and not the snakeskins. I strung up my tarp properly and they overlap just about 8"--per-fick! Thank you Snake Skin Guy!

Shug
11-08-2010, 15:51
I love some snakeskins .... I have two pair but am making a few of these as well........
Thankee headchange4u !!!!!

Shug

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad127/Shug7secure/IMG_2056.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad127/Shug7secure/IMG_2057.jpg

mountaingoat
11-08-2010, 16:44
I am going to start on some skins tonight... a pair for my OES standard and one for my BigMamajamba, should I stick with the Original Post measurements, or a bit smaller?

mountaingoat
11-11-2010, 23:29
I made two sets, one for the OES standard and one for the BMJB, and they turned out really good. With some leftover no-see-um I made a small stuffsack for my Evernew pot, complete with drawstring. I also made a Bug head net for my daughter, copying one that I already have. This is fun!!!!!:boggle:

lyodom
11-12-2010, 08:52
I made a set from your pattern. Variation with seams on outside (french seam). They fit great. I purchased my No-see-um at a local Hancock fabrics.

Just hang it
12-14-2010, 12:11
So how do these skins pack they look kind of bulky any pics of what they look like compressed

Shug
12-14-2010, 12:14
So how do these skins pack they look kind of bulky any pics of what they look like compressed
I can still stuff mine in my tarp stuff sack...........
Shug

canoebie
12-14-2010, 12:20
I can still stuff mine in my tarp stuff sack...........
Shug

+1 on that. I have used these for different sized tarps. Got a bunch of mesh from Joanne's clearance rack for 50 cents a yard. I am very happy with them, they stuff easily, not bulky at all. I like the option of hanging my tarp, but not deploying it until necessary. I leave the skins on until night, rain, or whatever causes me to decide I need the tarp.

The pattern can be adjusted easily for different sized tarps as well.

Just hang it
12-14-2010, 12:23
Does any one have rough dimensions just to give me a better idea

canoebie
12-14-2010, 12:28
Check out the original post, there is a pattern.

Just hang it
12-14-2010, 12:31
I'm sorry demensions of it stuffed in a sack thank you

titanium_hiker
12-14-2010, 17:02
@Just Hang It - this will depend on your tarp. The skins don't add much bulk at all!

TH

ulyssesjones
02-05-2011, 15:33
I am thinking about making some snake skins for my OES Deluxe. Correct me if I am wrong but the pattern looks like it will be about 14 feet long minus hems. Has anyone used this pattern for an OES Deluxe? Should I shorten the pattern seeing that the Deluxe comes in at just under 11 feet? I just don't want to end up with a snake skin that is way oversized for what I need.

Thanks

GOLFER
02-05-2011, 15:42
I made these very skins but without the pockets and they work perfect.

titanium_hiker
02-05-2011, 17:00
you can just cut off the excess- but just measure the length of your tarp and divide by 2 to make 2 skins.

canoebie
02-05-2011, 17:02
I like mine to overlap about a foot, so I make them a little long.

Mat
02-16-2011, 11:36
Just made mine for the superfly without the pockets as my guys are not left connected, I love em! Plenty of room to let the air get in and help dry out my tarp on the trail and easy to put on and off + they only add 1.4oz to my tarp and still goes in my sil stuffsack with plenty of room left over!!

Mat

perrito
02-16-2011, 11:40
Just made mine for the superfly without the pockets as my guys are not left connected, I love em! Plenty of room to let the air get in and help dry out my tarp on the trail and easy to put on and off + they only add 1.4oz to my tarp and still goes in my sil stuffsack with plenty of room left over!!

Mat

Do tell - what width did you use at each end?

Mat
02-22-2011, 19:14
Do tell - what width did you use at each end?

4" at the tight end and 14" on the wide end to be honest i think you could go as thin as 11" on the wide end and you would still have plenty of room to get them on and off... i may make an alteration!!!

sorry about the late reply...:eek:

Trout
02-25-2011, 07:37
I like the pattern. I'm going to follow this on my next set, but still keep the single unit idea I'm currently using. Rather than two snake skins, I jsut have one long one.

genegene
03-23-2011, 21:58
Just made a set and of the 2 pieces, one is the better of them LOL.

I have no way of knowing yet if they are the right size as Im still waiting on the BMJ to come in.

Once I can test it I will make a new piece to replace the gunky one

tygr
04-05-2011, 12:01
That's almost exactly what I did when I made my own "snake skins."

I cut two pieces of black tulle into 6-foot lengths and 8-inches wide with no taper.
At both ends, I sewed pieces of bias tape to create nice finished ends.
On one end, I folded it six inches and sewed another piece of bias tape (creating a "new end") so that it overlapped itself.
Then I folded it in half lengthwise (short overlapped end inside itself) and did a zig zag stitch the whole 5' 5" length.
When finished, I turned it inside out and ended up with a similar setup that started this thread.
This made two skins; one for each end of the tarp.

I didn't know how tight it would be for my AHE Shangri La tarp, but found that it was very doable to get it in; although very snug in the middle.

Both skins combine for a total weight of 13g/0.5oz. Pics are posted in a reply below.

justradar
04-05-2011, 12:13
sounds great! pics?

tygr
04-05-2011, 12:46
Both skins combined come in at 13g/0.5oz.

Here's the pics.

Showing the 6-inch pocket on each end with the bias tape for the finish hem.
http://tygr.ws/_pix/hammock/tarpskins1.jpg

Showing the skins with the tarp stuffed inside; also showing the same 6-inch pocket with the tarp cord stuffed inside. The "mason's line" is 50-feet long so as to allow a single continuous ridgeline around one tree, under the tarp, and then around the other tree.
http://tygr.ws/_pix/hammock/tarpskins4.jpg

Showing the tarp stuffed into the skins.
http://tygr.ws/_pix/hammock/tarpskins2.jpg

Another angle showing the tarp stuffed into the skins.
http://tygr.ws/_pix/hammock/tarpskins3.jpg
It was extremely windy out, and I didn't have any time to set it up fully. Maybe sometime soon. But the purpose of these photos is to show the skins, not the tarp itself.

McSpartan
06-08-2011, 13:23
Just made a set using the dimensions on Just Jeff's site for the WB BMJ - 18 X 72" with the diagonal at 5 and 13" (small and wide openings). While 5" is perfecthly fine, I think 4" would be perfect for the small end to avoid creep onto the tarp itself. I have 4-6" of overlap in the center. Because the netting and tarp are so smooth the wide opening did slip apart when I was bundling up the tarp to put it away. Not a huge problem as they stay when just sitting on the tarp strung up awaiting extraction. Have any of you seen the need for elastic or some type of tie to keep the center skins together? Just curious.

DiscoveryDiver
06-08-2011, 18:44
Ive used bungee with a cord lock inside the tree-side hem of the sleeves to tighten things up...

Boomer
06-08-2011, 20:30
You could also use the elastic band material from a sewing shop.

herbalist
06-25-2011, 19:04
After not touching my ancient "thread injector" for decades, this thread inspired me to get it out, remove accreted dirt, lube everything that moves, and make myself a set of snakeskins for my McCat Deluxe tarp. They fit perfectly! The miracle is that the machine still works after all these years. I made it pretty simply, but did put a draw string on one of the large ends so I could cinch it down and the whole thing will stay in place. The dimensions given were perfect for the McCat D. Thinking about a set for the WBBB.......

jima59
08-08-2011, 16:40
seems there is always something to do in the computer /sewing room now....

FireInMyBones
09-17-2011, 17:29
Is tulle an alright substitute, if that is what you have for mesh? Is quality an issue?

FireInMyBones
09-18-2011, 09:44
Well, tulle is what I had so I made some. I dropped the length of each from 7' to 6' and I made the tubes skinnier. The diameter on the small ends are 1" and the diameter on the wide end is 2.5" It fits my OES MacCat Standard very well. I hope they hold up.

apnonimus
09-20-2011, 13:46
Just made a set of these with some leftover ripstop. I made them 3" on the narrow side and 13" on the wide side. Working great so far for my DIY BlackCat tarp.

flashbang009
09-29-2011, 09:57
Anyone have a link to one piece skin instructions?

thedavil
10-28-2011, 21:06
Anyone have a link to one piece skin instructions?

I figure it would just be a rectangle about the same length as your tarp's ridgeline at somewhere between 7" and 9.5" in width. Sew the long edges together to form a tube, and then add a Roll Hem to each end. I'd add some shock-cord or drawstring to each end just for good measure and ease of deployment.

Fibby
10-29-2011, 21:08

I cut two pieces of black tulle into 6-foot lengths and 8-inches wide with no taper.
On one end, I folded it six inches and sewed another piece of bias tape (creating a "new end") so that it overlapped itself.
Then I folded it in half lengthwise (short overlapped end inside itself) and did a zig zag stitch the whole 5' 5" length.
When finished, I turned it inside out and ended up with a similar setup that started this thread.

I didn't know how tight it would be for my AHE Shangri La tarp, but found that it was very doable to get it in; although very snug in the middle.

Both skins combine for a total weight of 13g/0.5oz. Pics are posted in a reply below.

I did basically the same thing but I used green heavy tulle. I like the pocket idea, maybe next time.

Drifter D
11-06-2011, 09:40
This is going to be my first DIY project that I was going to start making next week so it was nice to have this place to read so many great ideas! Thanks to all you with the creative ideas for me to use. :cool:

Miguel
11-08-2011, 09:42
For those of us lacking their "Thread Injector/Gear Making Machine" licenses (or learner permits for that matter)....is there anyone out there selling mesh skins?

Miguel

photohiker
11-13-2011, 02:12
For those of us lacking their "Thread Injector/Gear Making Machine" licenses (or learner permits for that matter)....is there anyone out there selling mesh skins?

Miguel

There is. :)

MountainGoatGear (http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/mountaingoatgear/mesh-tarp-storage-sleeves/)

Wilderness Logics (http://wildernesslogics.com/Tarp-Skin-Tarp-skin.htm)

And probably others...

Silverpalm2x
12-29-2011, 07:25
BTW, I weighed the skins today. Finished weight 1.4oz for the pair.

Thanks for the detailed directions

Awesome. Cant wait to start mine using your instructions. BD

Went to fabric store with wife to look last night, For stuff for "project" it was closed. My kesty noah 16
Should be here Friday seems like a good way to store and deploy that tarp plus my dryfly.

newmike
12-31-2011, 11:11
I made a set last night, I used bais tape and i love them!!!!

OK I can't take all the credit my wife helped me :)

BlakeRoberts2107
02-19-2012, 22:24
Great design! i will be making some asap

The Weezer's Dad
03-06-2012, 13:11
Just made some using regular mosquito netting instead of no-seeum. (That was all my local Hancock fabric had.)

Worked out great. I modified the dimensions so I could get my hammock and attached uq into the tubes without having to store my uq separately. The mesh works great since it lets the air out when packing.

I didn't use any ribbon on the seams (I do have some grosgain) since the stitching seems plenty strong enough. We have a two-nighter this week-end...I'm excited to see how they perform on the trail.

Thanks for the pattern! Cost me about $3 and 1 hour of sewing.

My first DIY sewing project! :D

Just swingin
03-29-2012, 15:09
This may be in this thread somewhere but I have never sewn before and am wondering how hard is it to sew noseeum?

Tjalling
03-29-2012, 16:38
This may be in this thread somewhere but I have never sewn before and am wondering how hard is it to sew noseeum?

My wife does not allow me to touch her thread injector. I do not have this ambition anyway. So I asked MountainGoat (Outdoortrailgear) to make me mesh snakes with pockets and drawstrings for my Maccat Deluxe. They fit very well and are perfectly finished. No sweat!

Jacobw
03-30-2012, 11:43
GREAT idea! I will have to try this out.

Rampant
04-08-2012, 15:55
I love the idea for these. After my recent foray into the world of DIY, I think I may be able to pull a set of these off. I'm definitely going to try it out when I get my next order of no see um.

Barbarossa
04-22-2012, 23:26
A quick question for fellow Sydney-siders, does any one know where to I can buy noseeum by the metre? Alternatively, anyone overseas know of a place that will ship noseeum to Australia?

RR_Texan
04-23-2012, 11:32
I made two sets of these Saturday and they turned out great. One thing I learned, turn them right side out starting with the small end. I didn't do this and thought I had sewn the pocket wrong, ripped the seams, and resewed it the other way just to find out I did sew it right.

When I turned it rightside out from the big end, the pocket didn't get turned right side out and that messed me up. Starting from the small end makes sure this won't happen.

Here is my buddy (the guy who got me off the ground) putting on the set I made for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnlGYbfQL8g&feature=youtu.be

dave

PAHikingTrails
05-30-2012, 21:08
Cool idea. I actually made some myself a few years ago out of pantyhose. Unfortunately the pantyhose were not strong enough, but they worked once or twice :)

The only problem with no-see-um is if your tarp is soaked or dirty your gear will get dirty or wet too! You could always place it in a plastic bag.

titanium_hiker
05-30-2012, 22:48
This is actually a desirable property - the fact that the wet escapes from the tarp when it is in mesh. This means you can strap it to the OUTSIDE of your pack and it will dry some before you stop next.

I believe the panty hose mentioned in that other DIY post aren't the thin nylon stockings that women wear in business settings and lament getting ladders in, rather they are the thicker type regrettably worn as tight fitting trousers, called leggings.

TH

PAHikingTrails
05-31-2012, 07:04
Cool... Thanks for the reply! I will check it out.

flashbang009
05-31-2012, 19:55
I've always liked that "aspect" of the mesh material, but I have to wonder how well the inside really dries out when it's rolled up pretty tight?

Tonks
06-04-2012, 08:33
Do you think this would work if I made it from the flexible window screen repair roll from Home Depot?

Funkyleebasick
06-11-2012, 22:28
i will have to try making it this way, thanks

nghicks
06-23-2012, 11:00
Made a set today--my first DIY project. Surprised how well they turned out, since the mesh didn't always behave... Thanks for the great instructions!

Billybobky
06-26-2012, 07:37
Will have to try to make some

Resqsarge03
08-03-2012, 20:06
I love the design. I'm going to do this as soon as I sew up my tarp. Thank you for the thorough post and good photos.

the Fudd
08-29-2012, 06:39
Great idea! I made a skin last night out of some mesh. I have a long tarp so my single skin ended up being 170in with pockets on either end. I didn't use any ribbon for the seem but instead used my wife's Serger machine and ran it through twice. Hopefully it shaved a few tenths of an once off the final product. I have pics!

Riverrat
09-02-2012, 18:16
Great idea! I made a skin last night out of some mesh. I have a long tarp so my single skin ended up being 170in with pockets on either end. I didn't use any ribbon for the seem but instead used my wife's Serger machine and ran it through twice. Hopefully it shaved a few tenths of an once off the final product. I have pics!

Now I know why I bought my wife the serger last month... I am on this project... I really like your seam....

Bevo
09-02-2012, 18:48
I just made a set of snake skins out of ripstop nylon. Thanks for the pocket idea. I wish I would have put a pocket on the big ends too. It would really help tame the guy lines I leave attached to the tarp.

golfpro1286
09-03-2012, 12:01
How many of you leave your guy lines on your tarps when using the snakeskin? If you do leave them on, do they get tangled up?

Shug
09-03-2012, 18:43
How many of you leave your guy lines on your tarps when using the snakeskin? If you do leave them on, do they get tangled up?
I do.....I sometimes figure 8 wrap then and sometimes I just leave them hang and pull the whole deal in the skins. I like to use "No-Tangle" line and it works pretty well....http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse-18/No-Tangle-Guy-Line/Detail.bok
Shug

perrito
09-04-2012, 06:52

Here's what I use (http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/camping_accessories.php). Same stuff I think. I love it.

golfpro1286
09-04-2012, 10:08
I am using some zing it I got from Dutch

genegene
09-14-2012, 19:04
I was in Jo Ann Fabrics the other day and found a material that looks like No See Um bug netting. I'm not sure how well it will hold up but I have already found a problem after putting it on. If you don't sew it far enough in and it comes apart easily.

I think this stuff weighs less than the no see um neeting.

Pigpen
09-30-2012, 20:25
i was just about to order a couple sets when i found this DIY i am gonna head up to Jo Ann fabrics tomorrow! Gene how did yours hold up?

kiwi
10-17-2012, 16:17
way to cool bud

genegene
10-25-2012, 22:46
i was just about to order a couple sets when i found this DIY i am gonna head up to Jo Ann fabrics tomorrow! Gene how did yours hold up?

Its not bad. I am sure that this stuff is lighter then No-see-um netting and since your not trying to keep out bugs it works great.

I used this instructional as a pattern but have found that this mesh is stretchier then anything I've ever used so the length listed here is way to much for a WB Big Mamba Jamba that has a 11ft ridge. If I made it about 2" shorter on the wide end and an 1" on the short end my ends would have been tighter. The length could be a foot shorter on both ends as well.

I would very much recommend running a second sew line or making a wide pattern on the stitching as this stuff is very stretchy during the sewing and its quite possible to have seam holes or even tears show up.

I used this new material on the trail a few weeks back in the Catskills during the rain. It held up great and there was no issues with the fabric or the double seams.

I also added a elastic band end on one of the large ends to help keep the middle closed. This works great as it helps with all the extra that I have on material.

I will try and get some pics for you if you want to see the material and the elastic on it.

kk4df
11-25-2012, 17:47
Thanks so much for this simple DIY project. I just finished making one for my WB Superfly tarp. Turned out great.

Walter (kk4df)

exxpedition
03-23-2013, 07:13
Gene do you think this fabric is tulle?

laziboie
03-31-2013, 00:06
Some more great info, thanks!

genegene
04-02-2013, 16:28
Gene do you think this fabric is tulle?

I do belive that the name is Tulle. Its the stuff that is used under dresses and I found a ton of it in all kinds of colors and thicknisses at JoAnn fabrics.

I do not know for sure but my guess is that it weighs less then bug netting.

I have used it in the rain and it held up very well. Just make sure that you duble up on the thred as this stuff is very fragil and rips appart easily with only one run of thred holding it.

When I dubled it up, I had no problems what so ever.

natefoo
08-02-2013, 12:50
Love the idea, thanks!

Mjprohoroff
08-03-2013, 15:57
I think this will be my first attemp at DIY. Looks easy enough.

belro
08-03-2013, 18:05
Made one of these for my DIY tarp. They're great. I couldn't imagine not having them. I don't use a stuff sack I just keep the tarp in the skins

p0key
08-15-2013, 12:36
Very nice!

oldntatted
10-02-2013, 10:44
One of my next projects. Even have the netting. Ah
"Some ware around here"... Put on the (To Find it) list first.
Still after all these years this idea has held up. Nothing new to over shadow it.
Great Job
ONT

BackpackerGuy
12-27-2013, 08:09

I'm no expert on fabrics and fabric tapes.
I was looking at bias tape for my set as well.
The only bias tape I could find was almost 50% cotton.
My thought is cotton will absorb and retain moisture, and could eventually rot.
I used 3/8 Grossgrain ribbon on mine, and found a color to match the No-See-Um netting.

Jazilla
12-30-2013, 13:54
I'm no expert on fabrics and fabric tapes.
I was looking at bias tape for my set as well.
The only bias tape I could find was almost 50% cotton.
My thought is cotton will absorb and retain moisture, and could eventually rot.
I used 3/8 Grossgrain ribbon on mine, and found a color to match the No-See-Um netting.

There is no need to use bias tape unless you feel you must. I have just rolled the edge and that has been perfect.

Storytellertn
01-21-2014, 02:42
I decided that I was going to make a set of python/snake skins for my tarp from NoSeeUm mesh. I made them from NoSeeUm because I wanted to be able to strap my wet tarp to the outside of my pack so that it can dry while hiking.

Python/snake skins for a hammock or tarp is nothing new. I know some members here have already made skins from mesh and Hennessy Hammocks sell a silnylon version of the skins.

For reference I used the tutorial on Jeff's homemade gear site (http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockTubes.html) and the JRB site (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/DIY.htm) also has a tutorial for making skins. Please refer to these tutorials for more detailed instructions on making a skin.

When I started to make my mesh skins I thought it would be nice to have some way of storing and securing the tarp guy lines to keep them out of the way while the tarp was strapped to the outside of my pack. Here what I came up with:

This is the basic dimension of the NoSeeUm that I will be using to make these skins:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/DIMENSIONS2.jpg

After measuring and cutting out the skins I layed the narrow end of the skins on a piece of paper and traced out a pattern for the pockects (1.). Next I used the pattern to cut out the pockect (2.) Before I started sewing the skins I also added a roll hem to the wide end of the pockect (3.).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/NoSeeUmskins005.jpg

Next I lined up the narrow end of the the skin and the narrow end of the pocket and rolled them together into a hem.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/NoSeeUmskins009.jpg

After this step you continue to make the skins as normal, sewing the long edges together to form a tube. VERY IMPORTANT! Make sure the pocket portion is located inside the tube when you are sewing. That way the pocket will be on the outside once you finish your sewing and turn the skin inside out. Here a pic of the pocket end before flipping it inside out:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/NoSeeUmskins010.jpg

Once you finish sewing the length of the tube finish the skins by putting a roll hem on the wide end. You may have to trim some material off the wide end to make things straight. After finishing the hem on the wide end I also insert a wire tie into the hem to the skin to help it go over the tarp when breaking down camp. The wire tie is an optional step, but it makes things a little easier. Here's the finished product:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/NoSeeUmskins014.jpg

Once you have pulled the skins over the tarp you simply wind the guy lines up and tuck them in the pocket at the end of the tube. Keeps everything nice and neat.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/NoSeeUmskins019.jpg

Great post, thanks for the info.

dustinpn
01-31-2014, 13:49
Do any stores sell these? I'd love to make some, but I don't have a sewing machine.

Storytellertn
01-31-2014, 14:04
Do any stores sell these? I'd love to make some, but I don't have a sewing machine.

I just got a set of these from Mountain Goat Gear. They seem to be really well made. (Custom) $25
http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/mountaingoatgear/mesh-tarp-storage-sleeves/

Drybones
02-03-2014, 16:54
Headchange4U...thanks for the post, made the skins, work great....thanks again.

WayaOutdoor
09-30-2014, 11:26
Good work, looks pretty nice! Thanks for sharing :)

MadUncleAndy
09-30-2014, 17:18
As another non-sewer, I got a set of these from Mountain Goat a while back and have been loving life ever since.

ShooTa
04-19-2015, 17:10
Just finished making some of these - i used the just jeffs measurements - and now wish i had used your 7ft instead of the 6ft from his... but they fit just not perfectly. next time ill make them bigger.

WeWalked
07-07-2015, 10:36
I know I am bumping an ancient thread, but this is pretty clever. I was hoping to do something similar with mine, but couldn't settle on a proper method. So thanks!

SCWalker
07-07-2015, 18:23
I know I am bumping an ancient thread, but this is pretty clever. I was hoping to do something similar with mine, but couldn't settle on a proper method. So thanks!

There's many was to skin this cat.It's not very expensive to try a few and pick the best one you like.

sueb2b
08-14-2015, 15:53
I'm glad this ancient thread got bumped. I'm looking at making some skins, and I like this idea.

Sailspirit99
08-30-2015, 20:48
Also glad this was bumped. Heading out to get fabric while waiting for my new WB Superfly.

JasonACraft
08-30-2015, 21:28
Also glad this was bumped. Heading out to get fabric while waiting for my new WB Superfly.

Me too!

SloppyPoppyy
03-26-2016, 16:26
So, I saw this thread and decided to give it a go for my first DIY project. To be honest, I haven't touched a sewing machine since middle school home ec (10+ years ago). Right as I fired up the sewing machine, my noseeum got sucked into the bottom portion of the sewing machine. Anyone have any tips, fixes, suggestions?

Jiblets
03-26-2016, 17:42
So, I saw this thread and decided to give it a go for my first DIY project. To be honest, I haven't touched a sewing machine since middle school home ec (10+ years ago). Right as I fired up the sewing machine, my noseeum got sucked into the bottom portion of the sewing machine. Anyone have any tips, fixes, suggestions?

Same thing happened to me (and it was my first project as well).

In my case, I was using the zigzag throat plate (which has a wide hole), if you have one, switch to the straight stitch throat plate (which has a small round hole). If you don''t, I've read that you can cover the zigzag throat plate with a piece of masking tape.

Good luck

markb
03-27-2016, 14:48
I made a snakeskin using tulle instead of noseeum netting. Tulle is available at most fabric stores and is less than half the weight and bulk of most noseeum netting. It's also pretty delicate so I'm not sure how it will hold up but the snakeskin don't bear a load so thinking it will work. Once I have some actual experience with it I'll post an update and some pictures.

WalksIn2Trees
03-27-2016, 17:59
I made my bug net using tulle, had to adjust thread tensioning to keep it from jamming up while sewing. It's held up pretty well, got a few tear holes from getting caught on small twigs, used it two years now, this will be my third

markb
03-27-2016, 18:11
I made my bug net using tulle, had to adjust thread tensioning to keep it from jamming up while sewing. It's held up pretty well, got a few tear holes from getting caught on small twigs, used it two years now, this will be my third

I've also made a headnet with tulle and really prefer it over noseeum netting. In fact this was the first item I made using tulle. As a headnet I find it easier to see out of and not as stuffy/hot as noseeum. The thread tensioning on the sewing machine does take some tweaking with tulle.

tstark
12-24-2016, 21:45

You've probably have figured out a solution to that problem, but for future inquirers, I'd suggest pulling less tension as it pulls through the injector. Hold just enough tension to keep the shape of the hem.

DCBerry
02-06-2017, 13:49
I did mine from this DIY in neon green. Still the best setup ever I love it!!!

johnspenn
02-18-2017, 09:29
I love my set of skins from Mountain Goat. looks like she uses these templates. Nice!

patermagnus
10-07-2018, 12:55
Maybe it is just me, but seems as if all plans on this thread are now gone. The JRB link in the initial post does not work. The Jeff's home made gear link is working.

MikekiM
10-08-2018, 08:50
Maybe it is just me, but seems as if all plans on this thread are now gone. The JRB link in the initial post does not work. The Jeff's home made gear link is working.

The step-by-step in the first post is still there... Are you not seeing that?

SCWalker
10-08-2018, 13:59
Maybe it is just me, but seems as if all plans on this thread are now gone. The JRB link in the initial post does not work. The Jeff's home made gear link is working.You need the photobucket pic fixer extension for your internet browser. It should be searchable under the tools section in your upper toolbar or in settings. If you can't find it, I maybe able to link you to it. I just need to know what browser you are running.