PDA

View Full Version : What's the Right Amount of Sag?

SteveE
09-03-2017, 20:37
Is there a formula or general rule of thumb in order to get the proper sag when setting up your hammock? I don't have a fancy hammock, just and ENO Double Nest and I find my sleeps are very inconsistent because of the varying degrees of sag I have depending on how I set it up. I find I lay flatter if it is tight, but then it feels very rigid and almost too narrow. But when I loosen it a bit and create a bit more sag I find it harder to get that nice side sleeping position because my body feels too curved. Any tricks anyone can share?

Thanks!

Trail Troll
09-03-2017, 20:55
Do you have a ridgeline on your hammock?

SteveE
09-03-2017, 21:03
I do not....Funny I've been using my hammock for several years now but never really did much research into it. I'm just realizing about important things like this!

Tikker
09-03-2017, 21:12
Part of it is that eno are fairly short as far as camping hammocks go.

SteveE
09-03-2017, 21:18
Again I'm starting to do a bit of research and am seeing that is a big factor as well. I had no idea that a longer hammock makes for a better lay (but makes total sense). I like the width of the ENO because I use it as a chair (seated sideways) around camp.... What would you suggest is a good length?

Phantom Grappler
09-03-2017, 21:21
I'd buy another hammock--at least 11 feet long by 5 feet wide and even better a little longer and wider. Say 11 feet six inches long by 5 feet six inches wide.
My comfortable hammock is 12x 6---maybe more fabric than you might need for a good snooze.
Add a hammock structural ridgeline.
Multiply number of inches of hammock length times .83 to get length of hammock structural ridgeline (SRL)
So if your new hammock is eleven feet long---that is 11x12 equal 132 inches
Multiply 132x .83 equal 109.56 inches
Say 110 inches can be your new SRL
Length--you can shorten this or lengthen this plus or minus an inch at a time to find your comfort zone for that hammock.
When setting up your hammock try to get a 30 degree angle of hang. When your hang angle is 30 degrees (roughly) your SRL will be straight but it will not be tight--you should be able to twist SRL while you are in your hammock.
PapaSmurf of Dream Hammocks has an excellent video showing this technique. His video is spot on and surpasses any words I could write.
Good luck Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveE
09-03-2017, 21:27
Thanks for the info that is super helpful. Any recommendations on a brand/model? I'm currently going through the reviews etc on this site but it's a bit overwhelming!

SilvrSurfr
09-03-2017, 21:35
I've been using Dutch netless hammocks for several years. Affordable and versatile.

Kroma
09-03-2017, 21:56
Thanks for the info that is super helpful. Any recommendations on a brand/model? I'm currently going through the reviews etc on this site but it's a bit overwhelming!

You're in the exact situation I was 2 years ago. If true, then you're next hammock will be a Dutch netless. Hexon 1.6 standard width should be a fine intro to hammock camping.

SteveE
09-03-2017, 22:17
I was looking at that one (the wide version) and also the Dream Hammock Freebird...both look like they might fit the bill! Although it appears as though the Dutch one is not available at the moment?

Cabbo
09-04-2017, 05:07
Little shop of hammocks has some ready to go hammocks, also in you neck of the woods, and he to is a good fella that would be only to helpful to explain to you any hammock gear related enquiries you may have.

GadgetUK437
09-04-2017, 06:02
A +1 for LSOH

SteveE
09-04-2017, 08:44
I checked out that site and it does look good. Only downside is that his hammocks are only 58" wide and I think I'd prefer a wide version. I guess a second question is are you able to use a standard width hammock sideways as a seat as well as you can a wide? I like how the material wraps around the back of your head on the wider hammock when seated...makes it super comfy!

Firesong
09-04-2017, 08:44

I see your in Canada. Feel free to check out the website for Little Shop of Hammocks. Located in Saskatoon. Send me an email for any questions as well. Link is in the bio. Who knew there was so much to learn hey :) great group here.
James

SteveE
09-04-2017, 08:48
I see your in Canada. Feel free to check out the website for Little Shop of Hammocks. Located in Saskatoon. Send me an email for any questions as well. Link is in the bio. Who knew there was so much to learn hey :) great group here.
James

Thanks James! I actually emailed you the other day about an underquilt so I appreciate your response!

Firesong
09-04-2017, 08:53
Thanks James! I actually emailed you the other day about an underquilt so I appreciate your response!

I emailed you back this morning. I'm going to be putting on a back-to-school deal. Free shipping in Canada. 15$ to the USA on gear. Works out nice since there is also no taxes from me either. Compared to shipping from the USA. No shipping, duty fees, taxes etc. Works out nice.

snwcmpr
09-04-2017, 09:24
I really like this forum for all the information available and the kind replies of assistance they all give.
So much information, so many choices.
I would suggest going to a hang and seeing/trying the hammocks that show up.

Shug has a bunch of great videos on You Tube.

I liked the book The Ultimate Hang.
https://www.createspace.com/3617299

And the website of the author.
https://theultimatehang.com/