PDA

View Full Version : Canada->Ontario->EGL->Ontario Winter Camping Symposium

ggreaves
09-07-2017, 18:06
Well, they've been having one for years in Duluth, MN. It's a bit of a hike for most of us so the good news is that now Ontario has it's own version. I know there are a lot of avid winter campers in the EGL group (cold hanging, hot tenting, Smoke-housing). This might be a chance to meet up, hear some inspiring winter camping stories and maybe even go for a pint someplace after.

When: Saturday November 25th
Where: University of Waterloo - Theatre of the Arts

Details here.... http://www.ontariowintercamping.ca/

Chard
09-07-2017, 18:27
Well dang! That sounds like a great idea. Besides, Valens is only about half an hour away!

Bubba
09-08-2017, 02:34
Wish I could go but ironically enough I'll be heading to the beautiful island of St.Lucia that weekend.

Niagara
09-08-2017, 08:04
Checking calendar with family but I think I will get me tickets this weekend.

underserviced
09-08-2017, 10:49
Well now this looks just great and pretty close to home!

Niagara
09-08-2017, 17:06
Im in, i got two tickets to winter camping paradise..... (Mrs Niagara and mee-self.)

Iguana
11-20-2017, 13:55
DOh... waited too long tickets are all sold out now :(

Anyone got an extra ticket??? ?

Chard
11-20-2017, 15:13
Dagnabbit!!!

I was going to buy one at the door. Who would have thought that they sell out all the tickets! We are a crazy bunch.
https://findingdamo.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/swearing3.jpg?w=300&h=202

Iguana
11-20-2017, 21:13
I wonder if there will be any ticket scalpers?

Anyone on here looking to sell theirs? Let me know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

LuvmyBonnet
11-20-2017, 21:28
Oh man! I was going to try to go to this. Sold out?!? Camping in the Winter?!? Crazy Canadians. :lol:

KeeWayKeno
11-20-2017, 22:48
Just FYI tonight I asked the organizer about the chances of success in attending on a 'standby' basis as there will inevitably be some no-shows. His response:

"Hi Jamie,
There is already a long waiting list, and we are strongly discouraging people from just showing up. I appreciate your enthusiasm,for this new event...maybe we need a bigger theatre next year!
Hope to see you are the spring symposium! Stay tuned for more details on that.
Dave"

Too bad I/we didn't have Ggreaves' & Niagara's foresight!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Chard
11-20-2017, 23:24
Just FYI tonight I asked the organizer about the chances of success in attending on a 'standby' basis as there will inevitably be some no-shows. His response:

"Hi Jamie,
There is already a long waiting list, and we are strongly discouraging people from just showing up. I appreciate your enthusiasm,for this new event...maybe we need a bigger theatre next year!
Hope to see you are the spring symposium! Stay tuned for more details on that.
Dave"

Too bad I/we didn't have Ggreaves' & Niagara's foresight!

The silver lining is that it's heartening to see such interest in winter camping. Kind of reaffirms the notion that we're not all a bunch of nutters, or at least, the bunch is bigger than I imagined.

Niagara
11-21-2017, 06:44
"Too bad I/we didn't have Ggreaves' & Niagara's foresight!"

Sounds like we need a scalper section....

Psst... Hey buddy, wanna buy a winter symposium ticket??

ggreaves
11-21-2017, 10:08
"Too bad I/we didn't have Ggreaves' & Niagara's foresight!"

Sounds like we need a scalper section....

Psst... Hey buddy, wanna buy a winter symposium ticket??

You're in luck. My friend cancelled but I'm still going. I have an extra ticket if you're interested. You don't even have to sit with me ;^}

KeeWayKeno
11-21-2017, 10:25
You're in luck. My friend cancelled but I'm still going. I have an extra ticket if you're interested. You don't even have to sit with me ;^}I'll take that if it's still free!!

ggreaves
11-21-2017, 10:43
I'll take that if it's still free!!

sold! we can meet in the lobby.

KeeWayKeno
11-21-2017, 10:59
sold! we can meet in the lobby.YES! I'll send you a PM.

ggreaves
11-21-2017, 11:09
YES! I'll send you a PM.

really? I thought your phone was one of the old steam powered models?

Chard
11-21-2017, 11:31
Dang, I get absorbed in a spreadsheet, look up and BOOM, miss a chance.. What's the world coming to?

And yeah, Keewaykeno must have thrown a shovel-full of coal into his phone!

Iguana
11-21-2017, 13:58
You're in luck. My friend cancelled but I'm still going. I have an extra ticket if you're interested. You don't even have to sit with me ;^}
Doh... how did I miss this one.. stupid HF instant subscription BS $#!@$#$ GUess I should have said PM me.. hehe

:)

Iguana
11-21-2017, 14:05
Doh... how did I miss this one.. stupid HF instant subscription BS $#!@$#$ GUess I should have said PM me.. hehe

:)

On that note. Anyone else with Ticket for sale please PM me :)

ggreaves
11-21-2017, 15:33
Here's some pics of my new hot tent (massdrop has them on right now for 179USD - need to put in a stove jack though).

And, I got my new stove out last weekend for a burn-in. It works quite well so far.

This weekend... symposium... next weekend... Mew Lake.

LuvmyBonnet
11-21-2017, 17:12
Yeah, anyone else has another put me second behind Iguana.

Nice set up Mr Greaves! I don't recognize the stove. Is that a modified Kni-Co?
I have the Kni-Co Alaska Deluxe and the Seek-Out-side Ti XL. Love the Four Dog stove but a little rich for my blood.

ggreaves
11-21-2017, 17:21
It's actually a Kni-co Alaskan. But it's an old model. The current ones have a completely different door and vent system. Even though it's old, it had never been used. It's way too much stove for the small(ish) tent it's going in but we'll see how it works out. I might be looking for someone to trade me for a smaller one.

LuvmyBonnet
11-21-2017, 17:48
I like your door better.
I believe 76Highboy has the Packer. Maybe he's looking to upgrade.

stryder
11-29-2017, 11:21
I almost jumped on that massdrop for the hot tent. Bigger than Seek Outside's entry level one. I was thinking of a hammock hot tent but figure having something smaller to use as just a warming hut/chow hall would work. Is that what you are thinking too? Or are you going to ground / trying to rig a hammock in there?

Chard
11-29-2017, 12:20
I almost jumped on that massdrop for the hot tent. Bigger than Seek Outside's entry level one. I was thinking of a hammock hot tent but figure having something smaller to use as just a warming hut/chow hall would work. Is that what you are thinking too? Or are you going to ground / trying to rig a hammock in there?

Which Massdrop?

stryder
11-29-2017, 16:13
ggreaves mentions in post #22 a massdrop for a Sierra Designs Mountain Guide Tarp (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/sierra-designs-mountain-guide-tarp). A nice sized tipi style tent. $100USD less than Seek Outside's Silvertip (https://seekoutside.com/silvertip-tipi/)- which is smaller. I've seen the 'Smokehouse' cabin style hammock hot tent on this site and that is sweet but maybe bigger than I need. Not sure if I would sleep in a hot tent - thermastatic roller coaster if you have people stoking the stove through the night. But a place just to get out of the cold, eat, swap stories from the day or dry your clothes would be nice.