PDA

View Full Version : The Tuck

LyttleBryan
02-02-2010, 09:22
I was curious how much people tuck when they're under a top quilt. The reason I ask is that if I'm trying to put my hands/arms under the quilt with me it turns into a tucking disaster.

Do you have a lot of problems with draft? Does it keep you up at night or does the under quilt help eliminate that?

I don't have a lot of experience with top quilts as I like the "enclosure" of a sleeping bag.

thanks!

Ekul
02-02-2010, 09:29
I roll left and tuck right then roll right and tuck left, works great and i too lay with both arms at my side. I use a old rag JRB. GL

Oh-No
02-02-2010, 09:29
Have you tried tucking with your hands under the quilt?
Thats what I do, and have no problems with drafts.
When side sleeping, tucking over the top shoulder requires
a bit of arm contortion but it's not too bad.

TinaLouise
02-02-2010, 11:13
I was curious how much people tuck when they're under a top quilt. The reason I ask is that if I'm trying to put my hands/arms under the quilt with me it turns into a tucking disaster.

Do you have a lot of problems with draft? Does it keep you up at night or does the under quilt help eliminate that?

I don't have a lot of experience with top quilts as I like the "enclosure" of a sleeping bag.

thanks!

when I use my Exped DAM (pad under me & inside hammock) and using down top quilt. I had problems keeping quilt tucked around my shoulders. Shoulders would get cold & lots of drafts when I shifted positions and I'd try to retuck the tq.
Using same down top quilt and now using a down under quilt. No problems with cold shoulders and no problems keeping the tq tucked either.
I think that because I needed to keep the "tuck" more around me (more to the bottom side to make up for the pad not going up the sides) that it was harder to do. Now I only have to basicly keep the top quilt on the TOP. I'm not only sleeping warm but now I've noticed myself even getting too warm and needing to vent (actually making a draft on purpose)!!

DougTheElder
02-02-2010, 11:14
Tuck? Think 'Springer', 'Mt. Rogers', & 'Katahdin'. And I think they're on sale right now.

warbonnetguy
02-02-2010, 11:25

that's how i do it.

if i want my arms out, i tuck from the outside, if i want them under the tq, i tuck from the inside.

Cannibal
02-02-2010, 12:25
You listed a Yeti as your underquilt, so I'll give my opinion.

A light tuck is all I've ever needed. The way the Yeti cups over your shoulders it just doesn't take much tuck to maintain a good seal. That said, it's only been on really cold nights that I've even felt the need to tuck. Of course, I tend to sleep like the dead in a hammock so I don't move around very much. That is probably a big part of why I don't feel the need to seal myself in.

gargoyle
02-02-2010, 12:29
Of course, I tend to sleep like the dead in a hammock

And smell like the dead!:lol::lol:

Cannibal
02-02-2010, 12:35
And smell like the dead!:lol::lol:
Only when Genuine Draft is away. She won't tolerate that one. :lol:

sandykayak
02-02-2010, 13:01
JrB sells quilt "wings."

You have to attach the omnitape (like velcro) and then you just affix the wings (already have the other side of the velcro) to your quilt.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Products.htm

SmokeHouse
02-02-2010, 13:05

Ditto for me...

BillyBob58
02-02-2010, 13:22
If a quilt has a connector of some type at the top, and a draw string, life is much easier draft wise, I have found. Just pull the quilt over your head like you would a sweater, roll a little to one side and let it fall behind one shoulder, repeat, tighten draw string if needed. I find that is very helpful as a draft fighter.

warbonnetguy
02-02-2010, 17:16
i feel the same way bb, never needed a closure at the top, but found if i just tighten the drawstring, the top edge cups my shoulders enough to make a big difference

Shug
02-02-2010, 17:42
i feel the same way bb, never needed a closure at the top, but found if i just tighten the drawstring, the top edge cups my shoulders enough to make a big difference
That is what works for me too ...... I like a bit of wrestling about as it warms me.....
Shug