PDA

View Full Version : Just about to order a HH but...

Dave L
07-02-2007, 22:51
I can't find a definitive answer for the cold weather sleeping issue. I'm planning a trip to the Sierra in September and it's always 50F or lower at night. Sometimes 30F and below. I checked out a HH that a friend had and I have no doubts that it's comfy but is it warm? The HH website doesn't really do a good job of convincing me one way or another.

Seems like there are a number of options to keep warm but I can't seem to track down THE one.

So what is the one way to keep warm that doesn't slide all around, doesn't cost a bunch, doesn't cause condensation and doesn't bulk up the backpack?

Please help. I don't want to sleep in a tent!

slowhike
07-02-2007, 23:07
welcome to HF dave. some of the hh users can tell you a lot more but it sounds like you would rather not use a pad, so an under quilt would fit your description... except for the part about not wanting to shell out much cash.
maybe one of the synthetic under quilts that blackbishiop makes will do the trick. they would be much less expensive than down. ...tim

attroll
07-03-2007, 00:27
Dave

My personal opinion is it all depends on the person as to what you need to keep warm in the temperature you asking about. One person might be warn in a 40 degree back that that temp and another person may be warm in a 20 degree bag at that temp. It would be something that I think each person has to play with to find there comfort level. I will say you sleep a lot cooler in a hammock temperature wise though.

Hooch
07-03-2007, 02:43
I don't use a Hennessy, but I've slept in a hammock long enough to know that, for all intents and purposes, there is no true definitive answer to your question. The reason why is easy enough to understand. It's because what works for one, may or may not work for others. I don't own an underquilt (yet), but find myself warm in my hammock down to about 30 or so with a 20 degree bag, a CCF pad, lightweight long johns and a hat. If it's warmer, I ditch layers, but keep them close at hand just in case. There are pros and cons to any insulation system and you sometimes have to be willing to trade off one thing for another, such as lower weight for a little more bulk, etc. IMO, the best thing you can do is get your hammock, set it up and spend a few nights in it in the back yard. Try different insulation configurations and see what work for you. Blackbishop makes the Potomac Underquilt (I think he has a website in the works) , Pan and Smee make the Jacks r Better (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/) line of goodies and Ed Speer at Speer Hammocks (http://www.speerhammocks.com/)makes the Snugfit Underquilt. There are a couple options as well for top insulation, try using your bag as a quilt on top of you and there's always the Ray Way Quilt kit (http://www.ray-way.com/quilt/index.htm)if you're handy with a sewing machine or know anyone who is. That's just my two cent's worth, but there are PLENTY of folks here much more wise than I in matters such as this. Trust me, plenty more people will chime in to offer their advice as well. :D

Hooch
07-03-2007, 03:52
And welcome aboard, glad to have you with us!

Coffee
07-03-2007, 08:21
Welcome.

If it helps I had my hh down to 15 deg. I was using the JRB nest, walmart 1/2" ccp, mont bell super stretch #2 bag as a quilt (15-20 deg rating), mid weight long underwear top/bottom, smartwool socks, OR windproof fleece hat. I was nice an toasty at that temp.

I think that you need a ccp of some type below 25-30 deg (give or take). That is about the limit with most UQ. You could always put 2 one. For a reference a 1/2" ccp alone got me to about 30 deg before I got cold.

I was also using the McCat Deluxe tarp. If you get a hh, get a larger tarp IMHO.

I am also a cold sleeper. But I also was not wearing a lot of layers. I think staying warm in a hammock is easy, with some thought. Minus dealing with the slit and bugnet, insulating all hammocks is basically the same. You need good insulation underneath you, and a good quilt overtop.

The Potamic is a good UQ if you like synethic, Ed Speer or JRB make good down ones, or you can use pads. Pads just take some practice wrestling with in a hh. You can also make an UQ if you or someon else has a sewing machine.

Whatever you choose, practice and practice some more. Hammocks have a learning curve to them. I think Doctari said it best, "You are good at setting up your shelter when you set it up 10 times after you are sick of doing it".

headchange4u
07-03-2007, 08:34
Welcome to the forum.

A $6 blue WalMart CCF pad (in the camping section) would probably get you down to around 40*, maybe lower if you factor in some clothing and a nice bag. Like the others have said, it all depends on whether you are a cold sleeper of a warm sleeper. You will eventually want to invest in an under quilt.

Hooch
07-03-2007, 08:38
You will eventually want to invest in an under quilt.
Personally, that's my next big hammocking investment. I'm still trying to decide which one to buy for sure, but am leaning toward the Potomac for now. The Speer is a bit out of my price range and the JRB stuff looks to me like it more geared toward being HH specific.

Ewker
07-03-2007, 08:42
Personally, that's my next big hammocking investment. I'm still trying to decide which one to buy for sure, but am leaning toward the Potomac for now. The Speer is a bit out of my price range and the JRB stuff looks to me like it more geared toward being HH specific.

get a Speer Peapod since it can be used as an underquilt and also enclose you in the hammock. He still has 2 on sale. I do think his temp rating on them are rated a little high and can be used in much colder temps

Hooch
07-03-2007, 08:43
get a Speer Peapod since it can be used as an underquilt and also enclose you in the hammock. He still has 2 on sale. I do think his temp rating on them are rated a little high and can be used in much colder temps
Ewker, do you know what he's charging for the ones on sale?

headchange4u
07-03-2007, 08:44
I also have to mention the Gossamer Gear Thinlight pads (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html). They are very light, a lot more packable than the blue WM pads, and offer really good insulation for the 1/4" thickness. They offer a wide/long version for hammock users. That has been my pad of choice for a long time. If you get the wide/long version it is best to trim it down to a mummy shape because it's almost to big for a HH and you could have problems getting it to lie flat.

Ewker
07-03-2007, 09:27
Ewker, do you know what he's charging for the ones on sale?

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Sale.htm

I bought one 2 weeks ago..no telling when I will be able to try it

Peter_pan
07-03-2007, 16:20

True that the original UQ... The JRB Nest... was designed for the HH....

The Nest and all the standard sized JRB qulits function equally well on any hammock model.... That is 11 quilt models total so you have choices.

Pan

Just Jeff
07-03-2007, 17:05
As you've already heard, there is no definitive answer...for several reasons. Mainly, as Hooch says, what works for one may not work for another. For example, CCF pads work great for some folks...but I get condensation with them and it's not comfortable for me.

Here's a list of some options that I put together, with pics. I should probably update it soon...there are a few new products out like the Speer underquilt, and the soon-to-be Warbonnet underquilts, and a few other things I've been thinking about adding. But it's a good place to start.
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

Coffee
07-03-2007, 18:36
True that the original UQ... The JRB Nest... was designed for the HH....

The Nest and all the standard sized JRB qulits function equally well on any hammock model.... That is 11 quilt models total so you have choices.

Pan

If it helps, I have used my JRB nest on a DIY speer hammock with good results.

slowhike
07-03-2007, 19:43

i love my pea pod. very versatile.
but it wont work on a hh if that's what dave's going to buy.

Just Jeff
07-03-2007, 20:39
I've used my JRB on an HH and Speer. It works better on the HH, but it still kept me warm on the Speer. The PeaPod worked better than the JRB on the Speer, but of course it doesn't work on the HH.

FWIW, a PeaPod plus thin top quilt is comparable in weight, rating and cost to the JRB 3 Season Set. Not exact, but comparable.

Ewker
07-03-2007, 22:35
i love my pea pod. very versatile.
but it wont work on a hh if that's what dave's going to buy.

who is Dave?

Coffee
07-03-2007, 22:36
who is Dave?

the guy who started the thread.

Ewker
07-03-2007, 22:37
my comments that slowhike quoted were for Hooch so how did Dave get in it...lol

Coffee
07-03-2007, 22:40
my comments that slowhike quoted were for Hooch so how did Dave get in it...lol

Who knows. I am only getting into it b/c I want to hit 2k posts before I leave.

btw, Ewker when I hit the south let me know if you want to join me for a weekend.

Ewker
07-03-2007, 22:58
Who knows. I am only getting into it b/c I want to hit 2k posts before I leave.

btw, Ewker when I hit the south let me know if you want to join me for a weekend.

Yeah I can join you..any idea when you will be down this way. I have 2 AT section hikes planned this yr, one at Thanksgiving and the other the week of Christmas

Coffee
07-03-2007, 23:01
Yeah I can join you..any idea when you will be down this way. I have 2 AT section hikes planned this yr, one at Thanksgiving and the other the week of Christmas

6 months will put me in early January. I am figuring it will take me 5-5.5 months, but I saved enough for 7. I should be a month away from finishing close to Thanksgiving. I'll send you my pocketmail address when I get it up later this week.

Ewker
07-03-2007, 23:17
cool, best of luck on your trip..I am so jealous

Just Jeff
07-04-2007, 07:16
FWIW, a PeaPod plus thin top quilt is comparable in weight, rating and cost to the JRB 3 Season Set. Not exact, but comparable.

Should also mention that if you get one of the JRBs with a head hole, you can wear it in camp as insulation so you save the pack weight of a jacket. So while the "insulation system" isn't much lighter, your pack can be about a pound lighter.

That's why I carry the No Sniveler on every trip, no matter what else I'm using for insulation.

Ewker
07-04-2007, 10:30
Should also mention that if you get one of the JRBs with a head hole, you can wear it in camp as insulation so you save the pack weight of a jacket. So while the "insulation system" isn't much lighter, your pack can be about a pound lighter.

That's why I carry the No Sniveler on every trip, no matter what else I'm using for insulation.

you can do the same with a peapod. .

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Product%20Pictures/Pea%20Pod%20Robe%202.jpg

slowhike
07-04-2007, 10:51
if you put that pea pod on top of a no sniveler, you'd be ready for anything:cool:

Just Jeff
07-04-2007, 11:09
you can do the same with a peapod.

True statement. Personally, I find the PeaPod too big and cumbersome to wear as a robe. Just my opinion, obviously. I can wear the NS around camp, usually under my rain jacket, and not worry much about snagging it on a branch or spilling food on it. The PeaPod is pretty big, so doing more than lounging around in it doesn't fit my style.

Not knocking the PeaPod at all - I think it's a great product and I still take it on some of my trips. I just don't wear it.

Hooch
07-04-2007, 11:11
I like the Peapod too, I just wish the thing wasn't so doggone expensive so I could afford one, or maybe a Snugfit. :D

Ewker
07-04-2007, 12:23
if you put that pea pod on top of a no sniveler, you'd be ready for anything:cool:

like -30°..that would be to hot

Dave L
07-04-2007, 22:55
So going along the lines of cheap the blue Wallmart pad seems to work for many of you. The quilts look like a great idea but they're not cheap. I already have a tent and all the other stuff but I'm really looking hard at this. I want to sleep this trip. The hard ground just wrecks me.

Few more questions if you will.

1. Under quilts are on the outside of the Hammock?

2. Is it hard to get into a sleeping bag while in a HH?

3. Where do you guys/gals store you stuff. Mostly expensive stuff. Is there enough room in the Hammock? I guess I would just leave my pack next to a tree but I'd want my DSLR in the hammock along with a few other items of interest.

Thanks for all your help!

Just Jeff
07-04-2007, 23:00
1 - Yes.
2 - Yes.
3 - My favorite...get a gear hammock. I've made two types: the JRB Pack Cover Gear Hammock and a kids hammock. Or Slowhike made Storage End Caps that hang on the end of the hammock...great idea. Or put your stuff in a compactor bag or pack liner under your hammock. The tarp will keep it dry, and the bag will protect it from ground moisture. This is easiest and lightest if you already carry a bag liner. Or hang it with your bearbag. Kind of a pain if you realize you need something after it's hung. Or clip it to the end of your hammock with a 'biner. The tarp will keep it dry unless you get windblown rain. Very easy to get to your stuff, though. Or sleep with your extra stuff and stick your non-framed pack under your legs for insulation. Or get a Clark and put your stuff in the pockets. Or sew your own pockets into your hammock. A few pics of this stuff at the bottom of this page (http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html).

GrizzlyAdams
07-04-2007, 23:08
So going along the lines of cheap the blue Wallmart pad seems to work for many of you. The quilts look like a great idea but they're not cheap. I already have a tent and all the other stuff but I'm really looking hard at this. I want to sleep this trip. The hard ground just wrecks me.

yes. I have some pictures (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/3/HHP-1-thin.jpg) in my gallery of the Potomac underquilt that BlackBishop makes, on HH Explorers.

Your mileage may vary. I have wiggled into a mummy bag. The preferred method now for me and many others is to use an overquilt. You make your bag into an overquilt by unzipping it down to the footbox. Stick feet into footboot, and cover yourself. This is pretty easy.

3. Where do you guys/gals store you stuff. Mostly expensive stuff. Is there enough room in the Hammock? I guess I would just leave my pack next to a tree but I'd want my DSLR in the hammock along with a few other items of interest.

I bring in a Camelbak, and a small waistpack. At the back and front of the hammock, the ridgeline has a loop. I clip stuff onto this loop, and it's up out of the way of where the rest of me is. (And I drape the Camelbak hose over the ridgeline just above my head for easy access.

Grizz

Coffee
07-04-2007, 23:25

Thanks for all your help!

You might need to add extra width at the shoulders with your pad. I do not if I use an UQ, but I do when it is alone. Do a search on the speer SPE. It is a cheap and easy way to make a pad shorter.

Oware makes a good wide pad too.

FanaticFringer
07-05-2007, 15:52
The Speer SPE is one fine piece of gear. I have both models. I've used 3 pads in one during really cold weather. Works great:
www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

Dave L
07-15-2007, 22:30
OK I got an Explorer Ultralight from the Classified section here. Going to try it out this weekend on a weekend canoe trip. Looking forward to trying it out.
I don't think I'll have time to mess with any kind of insulation underneath. I may just grab a Wallmart Blue pad I've seen talked about. Will probably end up ordering the Speer SPE for my trip out west though.

I'll let you know how it works out this weekend. Thanks!

FanaticFringer
07-16-2007, 15:07
OK I got an Explorer Ultralight from the Classified section here. Going to try it out this weekend on a weekend canoe trip. Looking forward to trying it out.
I don't think I'll have time to mess with any kind of insulation underneath. I may just grab a Wallmart Blue pad I've seen talked about. Will probably end up ordering the Speer SPE for my trip out west though.

I'll let you know how it works out this weekend. Thanks!

Cut off 6" triangles on all four corners of your pad. It helps the pad fit better in the hammock environment. You could trim more at the foot end later on. Might also get by with 3/4 the length of
the pad depending on your height.

warbonnetguy
07-16-2007, 17:40
you can also cut a triangular piece out of the hip area to relieve the buckeling problem common to ccf pads. this may work better on wider pads though. the one from wal mart may be too narrow to bother cutting like this though. it does help alot if you end up going to a wider ccf pad.

Cut off 6" triangles on all four corners of your pad. It helps the pad fit better in the hammock environment. You could trim more at the foot end later on. Might also get by with 3/4 the length of
the pad depending on your height.

CoyoteWhips
07-16-2007, 18:49
I was out with a Walmart pad a couple days ago. I cut mine in half. I'm 5'5" and figured shoulder to knees would work fine for me.

Temperatures dropped to the low 60s and I was still toasty warm. I also had a windshield reflector under my feet and an inflated pillow for my head; using a fleece bag opened up as a big blanket.

I also think you'd be fine wearing your down quilted jumpsuit under an aluminized mylar nightshirt.

Dave L
07-22-2007, 15:53
Well got to try out the HH this weekend. Friday night was in the high 40's.
It was pretty cold but I was perfectly fine in the HH. I wore a knit hat, fleece pants and a fleece pullover. Put my feet in the box of the mummy bag and laid on top of the Blue Walmart pad. It worked perfectly.

Saturday night was not as cold but for some reason my back was wet.
Also when I got in the Hammock one side was too loose on the tree and I came crashing to the ground. That was fun. I never got very situated the rest of the night because I was scared to move.>LOL.
I was not quite perfectly on the pad that night. Just wondering why there was condensation Saturday but not Friday?

It was really comfortable however if there was a strong wind or rain I don't see how the rain fly could protect you. It doesn't even cover the Hammock 100%. I'd say about 80% coverage.

BillyBob58
07-23-2007, 00:12
Well got to try out the HH this weekend. Friday night was in the high 40's.
It was pretty cold but I was perfectly fine in the HH. I wore a knit hat, fleece pants and a fleece pullover. Put my feet in the box of the mummy bag and laid on top of the Blue Walmart pad. It worked perfectly.

Saturday night was not as cold but for some reason my back was wet.
Also when I got in the Hammock one side was too loose on the tree and I came crashing to the ground. That was fun. I never got very situated the rest of the night because I was scared to move.>LOL.
I was not quite perfectly on the pad that night. Just wondering why there was condensation Saturday but not Friday?

It was really comfortable however if there was a strong wind or rain I don't see how the rain fly could protect you. It doesn't even cover the Hammock 100%. I'd say about 80% coverage.

That's where the HH Supershelter is helpful. The undercover adds a bit of wind and rain protection. If you do a search on the SS, you will find a lot of pros/con discussions here and at Whiteblaze.

But that SPE approach is cheap and super effective plus your all set if you should have to go to ground one night. :eek: Hopefully that will never happen, but it has happened to me above timberline in the Rockies. though of course, you are on a pad in the hammock and many folks hate that. I prefer no pad ( just the SS if needed), but a pad/SPE in the hammock is still a lot better than a pad on the ground, to say the least. I have not had any noticeable condensation problems with a pad/SPE and sleeping in fleece. Perhaps the fleece just made the condensation not noticeable?

dpage
01-23-2008, 16:55
get some $0.50 hand warmers and put them inside your sleeping bag, also fill up your canteen with hot water and wrap it in a tshirt that has kept me warm all night at 20deg....Hennessy for president

dpage
01-23-2008, 16:59
i put up a great coldweather sleeping bag video on youtube you can see it on my myspace page aswell www.myspace.com/douglasofficial or www.youtube.com/sxdxfan any questions emailme at [email protected]

rfinprc
01-24-2008, 20:12
My son just tested his new HyperLight with the Supershelter and OverCover.

22 degrees last night. Using a 10 deg. bag. Toasty warm.

BillyBob58
01-26-2008, 00:19
My son just tested his new HyperLight with the Supershelter and OverCover.

22 degrees last night. Using a 10 deg. bag. Toasty warm.

Wow, that is excellent results. Was that with just the one SS OCF pad, or did he also use the space blanket as recommended by TH, and/or the kidney/torso pads, and/or added clothing?