PDA

View Full Version : Using a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core in a hammock

questtrek
02-04-2010, 00:32
What about using a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core as an UQ?
I have been thinking about using an my Big Agnes in a hammock. Has anyone used this before. If it's lightly blown up would it provide enough insulation in a hammock? Would it be comfortable? Would it be warm enough for cooler weather? Or is an Under quilt the only way

E.A.Y.
02-04-2010, 01:31
I tried this (I have a mummy shaped BA pad) and I found two problems: it tended to squirt out from underneath me (I may have had it too full) and it did not provide any insulation for my shoulders where the sides of the hammock were. However, they sure pack down nice and small.
Since then I've been experimenting with a Speer Segmented Pad Extender, and I think that the BA might have some usefulness there. Must try it again.
If you already have the BA, why not give it a try in the backyard or a nearby park?

psyculman
02-04-2010, 05:34
I use the BA insulated and, it has worked well.

It has advantages for me, it compresses down to the size of my insulated water bottle, it is inexpensive, and, the weight is comporable to a UQ. I put it in the inside of the hammock, not between the undercover inflated probably about 1/3. Though not as toasty warm as a UQ, my use has been only down to the lower teens, and, it has no cold spots, and, works perfectly with a quilt, or, a sleeping bag, even fitting inside my bag if need be. But, it also does not give you that AHHHHH...... hammock feeling, because of being a little firm, and changes the inside hammock size and feel slightly. . I have a HH Expedition. Getting the BA oriented properly is important, but, for me it stays put.

But, yes, I have a completed, but as yet "down-less" underquilt made. ($$$) So, I'm still in the faith, it's the way to go. :D

RAW
02-04-2010, 07:31
I found that mine doesn't provide near the warmth of a Down Exped or an Underquilt.
You'd have to step up to the Big Agnes Dual Insulated to start getting a comparable level of warmth.

BER
02-04-2010, 07:49
I have used my BA insulated air core in the ENO. Only partially inflated it was comfortable, but I did have some sliding issues that I attributed to my own moving about. I like laying in the hammock better without the pad, but at the time did not have other insulation for the bottom. I have only used it to ~45F, so can't comment on the BA at lower temps. But had no issues with cold to that extent with the BA iAC and a sleeping bag.

dakotaross
02-04-2010, 08:23
I love mine, but I have found that the air cools as temps drop outside and as your own body temp drops during sleep, but that's only if its real cold. So far the UQ seems to be much better as long as I secure it pretty good.

Kaliram
02-04-2010, 09:13
We're on the same wavelength, questtrek. See the post I just made in the "Bottom Insulation - Pads" forum.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14196&referrerid=5277

It works well with the BA bag and pad...

slowhike
02-04-2010, 17:12
It seams that my BA Insulated Air Core has begun to feel a little cooler than I really liked in the upper 40s & maybe in the low 50s.
A thin ccf pad might help that though.
The Exped DAM has always been warm though.

OldMan
02-04-2010, 19:56
I have tried to use a partially inflated insulated BA between the layers of my BB. I move around a lot, and ended up having to get up and reposition the pad because it moved off, and up, to one side. Also kind of narrow and resulted in cold spots when curled up on my side.

Sweeper
02-04-2010, 20:16
I agree with slowhike - 45 is about the max I go with mine and the BA Bags I have. I am going to play around with a combination of my BB, Yeti, BA Horse Thief and section of GG Thinlite placed in the mat holder of the Bag....thinking that way the thinlite won't slide out from under my feet and I'll only have to zip it up part way. I expect temp's to be in the low 40's to mid-50's down on Cumberland Island when I try this in a few weeks....

sir_n0thing
02-05-2010, 21:10
I have a BA Insulated Aircore. I used it with a BA bag so the pad-sleeve kept it in place... but I did not find it to be very comfortable and it wasn't warm enough in temps below 40°, IMO.

Wags
02-06-2010, 21:40
BA insulated pad + 20x48 section of blue walmart pad took me into the high teens

kayaknbikehanger
02-08-2010, 01:15
I use one two different BA insulated air core pads in the bottom sleeve of either a BA Horsethief down mummy bag or a BA synthetic Encampment bag. I've been comfortable down to about 30º with that set up on the Encampment. That pad is 20x72 and the bag is pretty roomy. I find I need to put a vest or some other clothing by my shoulders as those are the cold spots. I like this set up when weight is not an issue such as when camping out of a kayak.

The Horsethief bag is only rated to 40º and I have BA IAC mummy shaped pad that works well in that bag. I underinflate it a bit and also need to have some extra bulk around my shoulders. For backpacking light last summer I cut a blue Wall Mart pad down to mummy size, put that in the sleeping bag sleeve and that kept me plenty warm in the mid 40's in the Horsethief. I would guess that the BA pad is a little warmer, but the blue ccf pad is less than half the weight.

Hobbit
02-08-2010, 20:44
I've used my full length mummy shaped POE insul air mat 2.5 " with the Speer 4 segment pad extender. I had this stuffed down into an older Clark Ultralight which is narrower and shorter than the present version. I stayed warm into the teens but there was absolutely no wind and the inflation of the pad had to be just right. Also had to elevate the foot end of the hammock a bit higher than I normally do to keep the pad from sliding down. My feet kept pressing against the end and getting cold. The zone of warmth was narrow, ie right on top of the pad. Had to stuff extra clothing along the walls of the narrow hammock by my legs and was then perfectly fine. I've picked up a 3/4 length version of the insul air pad to use with the speer pad extender and then some wide 1/4 inch padding shaped for the legs and feet. That should allow the setup to shape a bit more to the hammock and provide coverage on the sides. I have yet to give that a try.

bison_2
02-10-2010, 20:28
I have found that using my EXPED 9dlx in the layers of my WBBB provides great coverage and insulation. I know you are asking about the BA use, but you may consider the EXPED due to its wider width. I use mine barley inflated. Just enough to keep the down from compressing-works like a charm!

Granted it is a little bulky to carry, but I like the added warm it provides and should I have to go to the ground, it rules!