PDA

View Full Version : In The Beginning

Crutches
02-05-2010, 13:45
In the beginning god created the Heavens, and the Earth. This has been widely accepted as a good thing. The problem, however, since about day 7 is that man has spent his nights on the ground. Today, roughly day 1,660,750,000,000 (plus or minus a week) I realized that man should once again strive for the heavens. With that revelation I shall be getting my lazy conformist butt off the ground. Thats right I going Arboreal.:scared: (Not as widely accepted, but still a very good thing)

With that in mind I am moving into the "seriously considering" phase of a 2011 through hike. since I'm in the market for a whole new sleeping system as it is, this seemed like a good time to make the change. I could use any input on making the switch from a tent to hammock. The only hammock I have ever owned is an Amazonas, Traveller. The Traveller is comfortable, but I don't think it would hold up to daily use (ten years in a closet would do that).

stormcrow
02-05-2010, 13:48
A hearty welcome to you Crutches! May your new way of sleeping be as uplifting to you as it is to us here at HF...:D

Cannibal
02-05-2010, 13:54
Not all people have been stuck on the ground. For at least the last 185,000 or so days, the folks in South and Central America have had it figured-out. :D

Welcome to the Forums!

Bleemus
02-05-2010, 13:59
Welcome Crutches! I am in the same boat as you. About 30 years ago I spent a winter in Mexico and hammock camped most of the time. Funny thing is that I just remembered that they were the most comfortable nights I ever spent camping. Got a deal on a HH Epedition Asym. locally. It is comfy and fun but it is a bit short for me so I am going to sell it and find another. Seriously considering the Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock from JRB. More research to come!

Good luck in your quest.

KerMegan
02-05-2010, 14:01
Welcome to the forums;(as a douglas adams fan, I love your opening!)
be sure to check out the trip reports and gear eval discussions. also the DIY section can save a considerable amount of coin..
KM

Scottybdiving
02-05-2010, 14:06
I had to do the math, too. 4.5+ bil years.

Shug
02-15-2010, 19:19
A Whoooo Buddy Welcome Crutches !
Grab a brew or tea and explore this site and ideas will hit you from every direction.
Shug

WV
02-15-2010, 20:08
I could use any input on making the switch from a tent to hammock.
You've come to the right place, but be careful what you wish for ... :D

Crutches
02-16-2010, 15:43
Thank you all for the warm welcomes.