PDA

View Full Version : Actual width of Ghost Pepper wide top quilt?

hutzelbein
11-18-2017, 14:41
When I got into hammocks, one of my first purchases was a HG Burrow. At that time, the standard Burrow width was 44". This turned out to be way too narrow for me, respectively my style of sleeping. I spent a miserable October night not being able to stay asleep because I was unable to keep the quilt tucked under me and close all gaps. The next day, I ordered a hoodless, semi-rec sleeping bag that I have been using for the past 7 years. In the warmer months, I'm using it in top quilt mode. In the colder months, I use it as a sleeping bag. It's supposed to be 62" wide in the top, and while I don't really need the width, I can live with it being a bit too wide rather than with it being too narrow.

However, after all these years, I would like to give top quilts another try, and this time round I'd like to get a Ghost Pepper quilt. On paper, the wide version is supposed to be 55" wide. But in my experience, most quilts/sleeping bags turn out to be a bit narrower in reality. I suppose that the Ghost Pepper is no exception. The question is, how much width is lost by filling it with down. Does anybody have a 55" wide Ghost Pepper and is willing to measure it? That would be very helpful in deciding if I need to ask for an extra wide version or if the wide version will suffice. I would really like to get it right this time. Thanks!

TrailSlug
11-18-2017, 14:58
I ordered the Ghost Pepper wide and I just measured it and it measures from snap to snap a the top of the quilt as 52". Now I'm wondering if I got a wide or if a 55" becomes 52" after manufacturing.

hutzelbein
11-18-2017, 15:22
That sounds like expected, thanks. My sleeping bags have 4"-6" less width than advertised. It seems that width is lost when filling the bag / quilt.

georgecarr
11-18-2017, 18:17
The problem with tq measurements is the fact that the width and length will change based on how much down is ordered. I have been considering going to a differential cut to eliminate the uncertainty. I may offer it as an option only because most probably won't want to pay the extra cost due to extra labor.

Levi Tate
11-18-2017, 18:19
That sounds like expected, thanks. My sleeping bags have 4"-6" less width than advertised. It seems that width is lost when filling the bag / quilt.

Then I would think that the colder the temp rating is, the more width you would lose.

This is from George's site: **** - Length and width dimensions are based upon the quilt laid flat open and pulled straight.

My LLG 20* Operator Series Ghost Pepper Topquilt should be 50" wide, but measures 52" wide outside to outside, at the top, pulled snug. From there, its a 5" full taper to the bottom.

There is a 1/2" flat seam along the edges where the snaps are attached, so I guess you can subtract that from the measurement for where the fluffiness starts.

What temp rating are you thinking of getting?

hutzelbein
11-19-2017, 08:35
What temp rating are you thinking of getting?

I think I'll go with a 20.