PDA

View Full Version : Cheap starter hammock for a friend

Snaps
11-21-2017, 11:00
Three friends and I are headed out on a three-day canoe trip the week after Thanksgiving. I've been talking up hammocks with a few of them, and one is thinking about trying out a hammock instead of sleeping on the ground... which is great for me, because I don't want to be the only one scouting for good trees when it comes time to find a site to set up camp.

He said he tried one of these (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OZ0FKQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_BnefAbQWJ679T) at one point; he likes that the rainfly is integrated. I told him I have a tarp to borrow if he wants to get something better, but I may not be able to sway him. On the other hand, he's unlikely to use it outside of Florida, and condensation is rarely a problem here.

So... does anyone have recommendations for hammocks in this price range (sub-$100)? It would probably need a bugnet, either integrated or separate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grubbster
11-21-2017, 11:04
Dutch has a sale on argon 1.6 hammocks going on now. Would make a great starter hammock.

Snaps
11-21-2017, 12:17
Wow, yup... I hadn't been on the site in a week or two. Great deals. I passed the netted & netless on to my buddy as options.

Flash Grundelore
11-21-2017, 12:42
Tough to go wrong with the new one-side zip from Dutch... whatever they are calling it. Especially if you can loan him things like a suspension.It sounds as though he might still be able to get away without an under quilt in Florida right now.

The Half Zip has the great advantage of being easily resellable here on the forums for 80-90% of retail if your friend decides it's not for him.
[and Dutch is great about ASAP shipping if you tell him the situation]

heyduff
11-21-2017, 13:37
Dutch has a sale on argon 1.6 hammocks going on now. Would make a great starter hammock.

If $100 is within reach, the Dutch Halfzip on sale might be the better option--get the bug net, too! I have not used Argon, hear it is great--I sleep in Hexon 1.6 every night.

heyduff
11-21-2017, 13:40
Tough to go wrong with the new one-side zip from Dutch... whatever they are calling it. Especially if you can loan him things like a suspension.It sounds as though he might still be able to get away without an under quilt in Florida right now.

The Half Zip has the great advantage of being easily resellable here on the forums for 80-90% of retail if your friend decides it's not for him.
[and Dutch is great about ASAP shipping if you tell him the situation]

I should have read all the comments before chiming in! I agree whole-heartedly here! And suspension? There are quite a few of less expensive options for suspension!

Snaps
11-21-2017, 14:47
I actually have some Ultimate daisy chain straps I'd lend to him, just to get him up & running. He just got back to me and told me he's going to check out Dutch's site. Thanks for the suggestions, all...

gargoyle
11-21-2017, 14:55

SERIOUSLY???
I think we need an intervention!
Friends don't let friends hang like that.

Snaps
11-21-2017, 17:45
This is my challenge. He told me he was going on dutchwaregear.com today.

Of course, that will lead to an intervention of a whole different sort...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W8lkinUSA
11-24-2017, 02:16
I'm new to both camping and hammocks. I've learned that a full hammock setup doesn't come cheap....

Dutch seems to have affordable hammocks. Add underquilt and topquilt, then prices soar. An air pad and bag might suffice. Smaller tarps might also work. The full kit will usually cost more than $100..

michigandave
11-24-2017, 07:51
I'll toss Jared's name into the ring at Simply Light Designs for quality gear at an affordable price and unbelievable customer service (fast shipping and free over $15). Link to website: www.simplylightdesigns.com

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of our fine cottage vendors here at HF!

Flash Grundelore
11-24-2017, 08:06
I'm new to both camping and hammocks. I've learned that a full hammock setup doesn't come cheap....

Dutch seems to have affordable hammocks. Add underquilt and topquilt, then prices soar. An air pad and bag might suffice. Smaller tarps might also work. The full kit will usually cost more than $100..

Check out my post on a $100 full system>> https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/2017/08/14/elevate-your-perspective-a-full-sub-100-hammock-setup/
And... CDTs are on sale this weekend... $34 shipped for TWO! [search Black Diamond Throws on Costco's site]

W8lkinUSA
11-25-2017, 00:05
I stand corrected. Thanks, Flash Grundelore.

Snaps
11-25-2017, 05:11
He ended up getting a hammock at Bass Pro... this one:

https://www.lawsonhammock.com/products/blue-ridge-camping-hammock

His big selling point was that he could go to ground easily. And he's using a sleeping bag, to boot. I figured he wouldn't listen--he's a little stubborn--but I'll put getting him into any hammock the "win" column.

I'll bet he forgets to bring tree huggers. I'm going to bring a spare set and wait to ask him if he thought of that when we're a good fifty miles from home.

Johnnystriple
11-25-2017, 09:30
This is what I just bought.https://shellhammocks.com/collections/hammocks/products/arch-hammock

Dlrocm
11-25-2017, 20:53
Wilderness Logics just put out some Budget Hammocks for $54 for the Black Friday sale.

http://wildernesslogics.com/BUDGET-HAMMOCKS-BH.htm

W8lkinUSA
11-25-2017, 21:23
That Lawson hammock is one heavy hammock. It could be very comfortable though.

Snaps
11-27-2017, 15:10
Good news/bad news...

Good news: another friend has purchased a budget hammock for the trip! That makes three on the tree.
Bad news: the fourth guy completely flaked out and isn't responding to text messages or phone calls, yet continues to post on social media. He will not get another invitation, as I'll now be paddling my canoe solo. I'm not concerned... most of my time in canoes has been without a paddling partner, but this "ghosting" from someone who we've called a friend is annoying.

W8lkinUSA
11-28-2017, 01:16
Good news/bad news...

Good news: another friend has purchased a budget hammock for the trip! That makes three on the tree.
Bad news: the fourth guy completely flaked out and isn't responding to text messages or phone calls, yet continues to post on social media. He will not get another invitation, as I'll now be paddling my canoe solo. I'm not concerned... most of my time in canoes has been without a paddling partner, but this "ghosting" from someone who we've called a friend is annoying.

Unfortunate. Sounds like he's only using you for something.. Dump him before he dumps you. :-P

Snaps
11-28-2017, 01:23
It is unfortunate... and it IS better to be the dumpER rather than the dumpEE... right? [emoji1]

Not to get entirely off the subject, but there's something going on with the guy. Another close friend and I have both recently lended him money, and we've reached out to at least two other people who've also given him a loan recently. He's being very dodgy, and we can't figure out why. And he won't respond to tell us. There's no reason to suspect drugs, but it would explain everything pretty well.

Anyway, good riddance to dead weight on this trip, anyway. We've resolved to make another go at reaching out to him when we get back.

W8lkinUSA
11-28-2017, 02:39
Hopefully, nothing too negative.. 3 hammockers sounds great still. As long as currents aren't intense, I don't mind paddling alone either. With 3 people, a rotation would also work on easing fatigue.

Snaps
11-28-2017, 03:09
Agreed. We hope he sorts himself out, or that he gives us the chance to help him through whatever's going on.

Yes, I'm really looking forward to this trip. We're going with the current and will be sheltered from wind; the only trouble I've had while solo in a canoe (mostly in an Old Town 179) was from fighting strong winds on open water.

My hope is that this trip is the first of many. And now these two guys have both bought hammocks, so we'll have even more reason to get out more often.

W8lkinUSA
11-28-2017, 10:59
I've seen some very acrobatic maneuvers by people kneeling on a pad in the middle of a canoe, but I haven't been on a canoe in a while to try it. Have you tried this with your gear on board?

Snaps
11-28-2017, 11:54
No, never with a loaded canoe. But I've not done what you described, either. I sit in the bow facing backwards, and paddle the boat that way. It puts your paddle close enough to the rear to steer, but still allows you to put some power to your stroke without getting squirrelly. At least with a canoe of this size. I'll have plenty of room for coolers, gear, etc.

The pace is well within reason--about 15 miles per 8 hours--and the other two guys are willing to take shifts... but I don't think it'll come to that.

W8lkinUSA
11-28-2017, 14:11
Interesting method. I don't think 8 hours on your knees would be advisable.

Snaps
11-28-2017, 14:45
You'd have to ask my ex-wife.

W8lkinUSA
11-28-2017, 18:01
You'd have to ask my ex-wife.

LOL

Snaps
11-28-2017, 19:02
I can laugh now...

[emoji3]

P-Dub
11-28-2017, 23:56
If not drugs, could be gambling... (your "friend's" sketchiness...)

W8lkinUSA
11-29-2017, 02:48
If I had great friends who were "supporting" my fine, creative dining addiction, I'd be sketchy AND very happy. 😁

Snaps
11-29-2017, 04:25
If not drugs, could be gambling... (your "friend's" sketchiness...)
I'm willing to consider anything at this point. Drugs or gambling strike me as highly out-of-character for this guy, as I've not known him to even dabble in either... but who knows.

If I had great friends who were "supporting" my fine, creative dining addiction, I'd be sketchy AND very happy. [emoji16]
I hope we find out that this is the case... but, then, why bail on the river trip? I've prepared a Brunswick stew, jalapeņo popper bacon dip, and western omelettes all to be done in cast iron at some point this weekend... [emoji39]

W8lkinUSA
11-29-2017, 05:03
I hope we find out that this is the case... but, then, why bail on the river trip? I've prepared a Brunswick stew, jalapeņo popper bacon dip, and western omelettes all to be done in cast iron at some point this weekend... [emoji39]

He must not be a fan of modern Brunswick Stew. Have you been omitting rabbit, squirrel, and opossum?

Snaps
11-29-2017, 05:28
So far, but we'll see how the first day of the trip goes...

Five Tango
12-03-2017, 18:07
This conversation about the "sketchy" potential canoe partner reminds me of the time I asked a friend of my brother to go with us on a trip fishing to the Everglades Natl Park as my boat partner.Wouldn't commit,wouldn't refuse.Wound up going with no partner,had boat troubled,and who came to my aid but Joe Niekro and his father in law!

Snaps
12-03-2017, 19:23
We ended up getting a last-minute fourth guy, and I'm glad we did. He wasn't a major-league ball player, but because the water was lower than normal, but his help was appreciated. We had to put more effort in than usual and I probably would be more beat up now than I already am had we stayed at three.

And, still no word from the original fourth.

MDCrab
12-09-2017, 18:42

SERIOUSLY???
I think we need an intervention!
Friends don't let friends hang like that.

This was the first camping hammock I ever used. Even though it was too small, I knew right then it was better than going to ground. I moved to a Lawson Blue Ridge, years later found the Forums, and now hang in a DIY gathered end.