PDA

View Full Version : New Convert!!!

Cranky Bear
02-09-2010, 10:35
Just wanted to introduce myself, My name is Jared ( Cranky Bear ) 33yrs old live in Maryland and I am a new convert!!!:D:shades: I have been camping pretty much all my life and I have NEVER got a good nights sleep on the ground so I got meself a Hammock, its a HH Hyperlite that I got from the Odds and Ends sale (if thats what you call it) I have had it for about 2-3months got it with the super small tarp that it comes with but that was change a week after I got it and now I have the 30D hex and man that thing is huge!!! I have changed the suspension over to a ring buckle n webbing from strapworks. I was lurking around hammockforums.net for a while and its like a disease I got sucked up and I'm LOVIN IT:boggle:. I have a Golite Ultra 20 TQ that I had to send back to them cause it felt like a couple chambers had little to no down in them so we shall see what I get back from them. I currently have no UQ I do have a GG thinlight pad (the wide one) and have yet to cut it down to the needed size (whatever that may be) I might have a UQ made by my girlfriends mother but thats another story, I am looking at buying one from stormcrow and have sent him a message so will see how that turns out! (not a hole lot of funds left). Currently I work for a Fire Department as a Paramedic/Firefighter and myself and one of the guys on my shift are section hiking the AT we have already done the MD/WVA section and we are going back out in April to start the VA section, with some GREAT nights sleep ahead. Thank you all for the passing of the disease known as "Hanger syndrome".:thumbup:

Cranky Bear

Iafte
02-09-2010, 10:52
Welcome to the Forums!

You should join us at the MAHHA hang in April. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14178) :D

HappyCamper
02-09-2010, 10:53
You should come to the MAHHA spring hang (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14178)and meet some of the other crazies! Regardless welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start. :)

JINX IAFTE ! ! !

Cranky Bear
02-09-2010, 11:08
I will def try to make it, our AT section hike is the end of April so that might be doable? I would need to check with my better half (if you know what I mean).

Hawk-eye
02-09-2010, 11:12
Welcome on board ... oh and you won't be disappointed in anything you buy from Stormcrow ... he's top notch in everything he does!

Cranky Bear
02-09-2010, 11:14
Yea I did ALOT of looking around this site for a while, the SEARCH button is now my closest friend, I sent my HH to 2QZQ and had the mod done and wow they do GREAT work:D I had them sew the Velcro entrance and man that made a world of difference, if I had the money I would have got a BB but the sale was just toooooo good. I wish I had a sewing machine to try some DIY, but that would cause a real BIG problem, so that venture will have to wait a while :(. Is there a sign-up list for the MAHHA hang or is it a just show up and hang event? Thanks for the invite!:)

HappyCamper
02-09-2010, 11:19
It's pretty much just show up. If you plan to be there Saturday night, bring some food to add to pot luck dinner if you can. If you can't don't worry, add some $$ to pay Bug-Bait for the burgers.

Cranky Bear
02-09-2010, 11:20
Hawk-Eye - Yea I did some looking into the whole UQ thing and I found the spread sheet that was put together, can't remember who, but when I looked at it his (stormcrow) by comparison showed to be more of a fit for me I was looking at the Crowsnest with a couple oz of down added would pretty much work for me, the next investment will def be a Maccat in spinn prob the deluxe with 2QZQ doors, but wait I'm getting ahead of myself, man I feel like a kid in a candy store but with no money:(

Thanks for the warm welcome guys(galls?) tryn to be PC!

Cranky Bear
02-09-2010, 11:22
HappyCamper- Yea will do, I will hopefully be able to make it, woman/two kids n job can put a damper on things especially since I had to barter to get out for the AT hike.

Peter_pan
02-09-2010, 11:26
Welcome fellow "Ballmer" hanger... Do get to the MAHHA in April.

Pan

Cranky Bear
02-09-2010, 11:34
Pan - Thanks!!! Yea I hope that I will get to make it, from the past posts on hangn events it sounds like it will be a great time for all, and the opportunity to pick some of your more experienced brains on hangn would be AWSOME:)

HappyCamper
02-09-2010, 12:13
HappyCamper- Yea will do, I will hopefully be able to make it, woman/two kids n job can put a damper on things especially since I had to barter to get out for the AT hike.

MAHHA hang is a family friendly event, meaning, wife, kids, dogs . . even tenters! Bring the clan. Others certainly do. We've had rugrats, curtain climbers, ankle biters, teens, tweens. The whole shabangabang. They should barter with you to get to come! 1/2 mile hike in. Mostly flat until bit of hill at end. Easy in and out. Something to think about. :)

mbiraman
02-09-2010, 12:29
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've made some good choices ."Hangers Syndrome", oh well, as a paramedic you know what to do, take two aspirin and go lay in your hammock.

GaHammockGuy
02-09-2010, 16:49
Welcome to the last camping forum you will ever need.

Shug
02-09-2010, 18:12
A Whooooo Buddy Welcome Cranky Bear.........
Shug

Cranky Bear
02-09-2010, 21:16
Shug- I have to say that some of my new addiction has to do with your vids, I have watched everyone and my GF too has watched some of them and I must say they are very informative and entertaining, what a great combination:lol: Oh and thanks for the welcome!!!!!

Shug
02-09-2010, 23:43
Shug- I have to say that some of my new addiction has to do with your vids, I have watched everyone and my GF too has watched some of them and I must say they are very informative and entertaining, what a great combination:lol: Oh and thanks for the welcome!!!!!
Your welcome for the welcome! Makes me feel good to know the videos have some value.......
Shug

lazy river road
02-10-2010, 00:44
Hi Cranky Bear welcome, and love the avatar, and glad to see another MD'er. What parts you from, I live in Mt. Washington you familar with it. And be careful watching those Shug video's and lurking around here Shug will have you wanting to buy all sorts of cool stuff and HF member will put up great gear deals which are often times impossible to resist. And Im gonna have to give a plus one for Stormcrow. May I suggest the Winter Ptarmigan super warm and toasty. The xtra width is really nice around the shoulders. It's my first UQ and it's really nice, he also has great customer service really nice guy. Hope to see you at the MAHA hang,
Peace
LRR

stormcrow
02-10-2010, 02:22
Welcome CB! Glad to see you on here. Sounds like you are doing what the same thing I am trying to do. Section hiking the AT is fun to say the least! Hmm, let's see I should be done about the time my oldest is ready to move out. in 10 years....lol

Cranky Bear
02-10-2010, 16:08
Welcome CB! Glad to see you on here. Sounds like you are doing what the same thing I am trying to do. Section hiking the AT is fun to say the least! Hmm, let's see I should be done about the time my oldest is ready to move out. in 10 years....lol

Thanks, yea no kiddn both my kids will prob be married by the time I am done with the AT sectional thing, hopefully when I retire (who knows when that will be) I will go on a thru, my GF says she wants to go to, so it will be good times for all, I will hopefully get back to you about the UQ here in the next few weeks(prob the beginning of march, thats when my tax money should be here) will that be too late to get it for the end of april AT section that I am goin on?

Cranky Bear

Cranky Bear
02-10-2010, 16:11
Hi Cranky Bear welcome, and love the avatar, and glad to see another MD'er. What parts you from, I live in Mt. Washington you familar with it. And be careful watching those Shug video's and lurking around here Shug will have you wanting to buy all sorts of cool stuff and HF member will put up great gear deals which are often times impossible to resist. And Im gonna have to give a plus one for Stormcrow. May I suggest the Winter Ptarmigan super warm and toasty. The xtra width is really nice around the shoulders. It's my first UQ and it's really nice, he also has great customer service really nice guy. Hope to see you at the MAHA hang,
Peace
LRR

Thanks for the welcome, yes I know where that is I am In Baltimore County(north side per say) near White Marsh. I am still trin to work on getting to the MAHHA Hang, not lookin too promising. Yea the Avatar is the front cover to a book my kids gave me (makes you wonder if there was a hidden message behind it:confused:)

Cranky Bear