PDA

View Full Version : which quilts to bring?

Twilliger
02-10-2010, 07:33
I have 3 quilts, all JRB, stealth, HR in long, and MWUQ4. I am walking the West Coast Trail in BC at the end of may. There is a legitimate chance the lows will hit 32F (low 40s are the norm) and I will see alot of rain. I will be sleeping in socks, merino long underwear and LS top, toque, synthetic insulated hooded OR jacket (this is the coat I wear through the winter up here and ski in), merino gloves (all if needed). Buying another quilt is not an option (course I have said this before). Keeping my wt. down is a key consideration.

I was going to use the HR under and the stealth over, but have been questioning this choice lately (perhaps more related to being february in Ottawa). If I am to cool at night, I have just gotten up and started walking, not my preference, especially if raining, but it has happened.

What are your thoughts on which combo to take?

Just Jeff
02-10-2010, 08:39
MWUQ4 on bottom and HR on top if you want to make sure you're warm. Personally, I wouldn't want to try to stay warm at 32F in a Stealth, but you might be able to make it in your jacket...it's a chance you choose to take if weight is that important to you.

I think the physical comfort of getting a good night's sleep, and the psychological comfortable of knowing I'll be comfortable when I lay down, always makes up for a few extra ounces in my pack just in the extra energy I have when I wake up.

KerMegan
02-10-2010, 08:39
are these down or synthetic? if down, I would advise adding an over/under cover (or sock) of DWR; if synth, probably no worries.
warm or cold sleeper?
sit pad for leg area?
fleece stuff sack for pillow?
wrist warmers?
neck gaiter/balaclava?
down booties have been getting glowing reviews lately...
just a few thoughts/ounces to think about..
HTH, KM

Peter_pan
02-10-2010, 09:12
You are still talking shoulder season and iffy weather.... 40* expected could easily be 20 *...

Go with JJ's recommendation and you will be fine...MW4 and HR-l... couple ounces heavier but you are assured of protection and it is already in your gear locker.

Have a great trip.

Pan

Cannibal
02-10-2010, 10:42
Another one recommending the MWUQ4 and HR combo. You should be able to stay toasty well below the temps you're reporting with that set-up. Just make sure you have a generously sized tarp so that you can stay comfortable when it's raining and you aren't sleeping. Plus, you'll want to keep all that down as dry as possible. :cool:

Twilliger
02-10-2010, 14:12
thanks for the responses.

Should have stated that I will be using the SWT tarp.

The following is based on data collected from 1971 to 2000 at the north end of the 100km trail: 27F is the "extreme low" recorded during the month of May, and that in '75, I am keeping in mind that I am going during the fourth week of the month. On average 5 days out of the month the minimum drops to 37F. The average daily minimum for the month of May is 43F.

I usually carry 6 sections of z-rest as sitpad/ground insulation/sheet in a pinch - I will be taking my new WBBB 1.1 double and can use this for extra insulation. I also have a neatsheet multi quilt, that I could factor in.

you all sticking to safe and heavier - or anyone think the HR and Stealth with pad and jacket would do it?