PDA

View Full Version : Dutchware Half-Zip vs Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip

houserj
01-13-2018, 17:49
Hello,

I am looking for a new hammock and need some suggestions. I am trying to decide between a Dutchware Half-Zip and a Hennesy. Anyone have opinions and suggestions on the two hammocks? I am looking to use it backpacking and camping with my son's Scout troop. Would love to keep it under $200.

Thanks,

J

Peppy
01-13-2018, 18:11
My only experience is with the half-zipped, it's a great hammock. Under $200? I'd consider an Simp,y Light Designs Trail Lair, A Dutch Chameleon, and Dream Hammocks as well. Even Warbonnet has some for sale stuff for under $200. Of the two you mentioned I'd go Dutch, but if you have the budget (looks like you do) I'd look around some more!

Paddles Down
01-13-2018, 21:35
I love my Dutch chameleon my only other experience is with an ENO. Lots of options to choose from. Good luck!

ShortRound
01-14-2018, 00:29
I just sold my Hennessy Expedition ....great hammock but way short , heavy & narrow. I have the Dutch half zipped @ the same time I had the Hennessy Expedition .

Dutchware half zipped pros:

• waaay lighter
• you can choose colors / fabrics
• choose any suspension
• the net zipps out of the way & stows to the side of hammock
• 11’ Long with standard or width options

Hennessy cons
• heavy yet durable Hammocks
• 2 color choices
• you will end up having to change the outdated rope suspension
• bug net can be unzipped but still remains high on opposite side.
• tight fit almost too small (I’m 5’8” 185 lbs)

I’d go with Dutch

hutzelbein
01-14-2018, 05:36
The Hennessy Hammocks I have seen and used have been fairly short for their size, very narrow (due to the way the net is attached), and too heavy for what they are. The stock suspension is heavy and fiddly - upgrading to something lighter and simpler adds to the cost. I haven't seen the Half-Zipped, yet, but I know all of the fabrics (I have made lots of DIY hammocks from them), and I know other Dutch products. If the choice is between Hennessy and Dutch, I would pick Dutch anytime.

Two Speed
01-24-2018, 20:02
I have both and would pick Dutch no questions asked. My Hennessy hammock mainly just collects dust in the corner now that i have a chameleon and half-zipped.

TxAggie
01-24-2018, 21:02
I have a HH side entry and a Dutch Half Wit (as opposed to the half zip). The comfort of the Half Wit vs the HH more than makes up for the smaller bug net. I can only imagine that the Half Zip is the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QFT
01-26-2018, 14:05
As others have mentioned, the Hennessy is shorter, and therefore generally less comfortable. The Hennessy is also a good bit heavier, so that's worth mentioning.

You should look into the DreamHammock Raven. It fits your needs as well.

Lebreton
01-26-2018, 21:25
I use my half zip with the scouts, great hammock

DanversPort
01-26-2018, 23:49
I’ve owned the expedition as well as a Dutch Chameleon, and there’s no comparison. I found my Hennessy’s fabric to be less comfortable, and the lay is much worse in the HE than my Chameleon (I’m 6ft). The only advantage my Hennessy had was that I bought it at REI and could return it easily.

Kinda like ENO, I think Hennessy owes its popularity to its visibility in retail, as well as being an older brand, instead of being popular for innovation.

And my last comment about the Hennessy- that tarp was too small to be useful for me in any season. Given the chance, I’d check out Dutchware instead, or brands like Warbonnet or Dream Hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkurfiss
01-27-2018, 08:34
I also own an Expedition and a Dutch 11' model. I love my Dutch hammock and do use it but I also own and use my HH. I am short (5'2") so comfort level may well have something to do with height. Each of us are very different in what works for us.

Personally if I can only have 1 hammock it will be the HH but that is based upon the fact that I have mobility issues and the bottom entry of the HH is much easier for me to use. I also like the integrated bug net but have done the 2QZQ mod 4 to the HH so on those perfect nights I can roll the HH screen back.