PDA

View Full Version : Newb in Georgia

Strapped-4-Cache
02-10-2010, 08:26
Hi All,

I’m a recent forum member, and am still deciding upon the equipment I plan to purchase.

I camped with a group of friends a couple of years ago and saw a hammock setup for the first time. I was dubious at first, but after talking to the owner and doing a bit or research the idea made a lot of sense. This is quite a change in thinking for someone who owns and uses both a 12x16 2-room tent for family outings and a two-person mini dome for personal trips.

I recently confirmed the dates of a trip with friends in April and began mentally making a list of all the stuff that needs to be pulled out of winter storage for the trip. We’ve done winter camping in the past, but since our youngest came along those types of trips don’t happen any more. She just doesn’t “camp” well and is a total opposite of her older sister. Maybe in a few years – we’ll see.

Anyway, I remembered my friend’s hammock setup and began to realize that he didn’t need to deal with all of the “stuff” that is necessary to get even my mini dome set up, and his whole kit packed up into a mighty small stuff sack. He also was able to set up a break down in no time. Can’t do that with a dome, rainfly, dropcloth, etc.

After a good bit of reading I’m beginning to realize that hammock camping isn’t as simple as I had first thought, but it’s not rocket science either. I’m also learning that this method of camping can absorb as much or more of my spending money as any of my other hobbies. Geocaching – there’s always a better GPS, daypack, container, etc. Straight razors and wet shaving – there’s always another custom blade, scales, soap, travel kit, etc. I’ve given up on having a hobby that doesn’t have a way of making my cash disappear. This one seems no different – top quilts, under quilts, tarps, suspension systems, etc.

I believe I’ve decided upon getting a Warbonnet Blackbird (WBBB?), but I’m still researching. After realizing that I still need to get under quilt, top quilt and tarp I’m realizing that although it’s going to be more convenient, and it sounds like I’ll sleep better, there’s no way that I’ll be able to get outfitted without spending at least as much as what our family tent cost. Not complaining, just getting my head around the numbers. My handle pretty much sums up my finances. :)

I realize I can go the budget route, but I don’t want to spend money on something only to replace it shortly thereafter because it didn’t do the job well. We mostly car camp, so bulk isn’t an issue. Therefore, I can use a cheap tarp for cover, and can get by with a top quilt and under quilt that are man-made rather than down-filled ones. I plan on starting with a good hammock and working my way out. If I’m lucky I’ll be able to order a hammock and test it before heading out in April. If not, I’ll have more time to save for a more complete kit. I’ve camped enough to know to NOT go to the field with untested equipment.

So much for a brief introduction.

I appreciate all of the advice, hints, tips, trick and such that are shared on this forum. I still have a LOT to learn, but I look forward to soon be sleeping above the ground instead of on it.

Regards,

- Mark (S-4-C)

KerMegan
02-10-2010, 08:33
Learning to make your own gear (aka sewing) will greatly reduce the impact on your finances; esp if you can borrow a sewing machine for the learning curve- moms, aunts and such are a great resource for this sort of thing.
KM

Peter_pan
02-10-2010, 09:15
If you are of a mind to solve that TQ & Uq problem do not miss the JRB BOGO sale, ends this weekend... It will easily save you 125-150 bucks.

Pan

peanuts
02-10-2010, 11:06
strapped, welcome to the forum. we are neighbors. i own a top loader, peapod (1st gen) a winter yeti, 8x10 tarp. if you would like to see it shoot me a pm here.

mbiraman
02-10-2010, 14:27
Welcome to the forum. If you get a double layer Blackbird you can use a couple of ccf pads under you for an UQ and ccf pads are cheap. You can use your sleeping bag for a TQ. Use the $$ you save and get a good tarp. There are cheaper ways to do things.

GaHammockGuy
02-12-2010, 10:40
Welcome to forum, Strapped!!

I too am in GA.
Just off of 575 and Bells Ferry.

We go up to amicalola falls state park and pass on through to the Chattahoochie national forest.... plenty of trees there to choose from and its all FREE because we are in a national forest..... LOL

Shug
02-12-2010, 10:49
A Whoooo Buddy Welcome to ya' from a fan of that Georgia clay and BBQ! Well .. and boiled peanuts and peaches. And bluegrass music rolling from the hills.
Shug

peanuts
02-12-2010, 11:01
with all these new ga hangers, we need to plan a hanger gathering here in georgia.

PS
02-12-2010, 11:12
Welcome S-4-C.
I live in Cumming and work in Grayson. I have a WBBB and a Yeti-3 if you'd like to look at them first. Lemme know.

Peanuts ~ I think you're right!

GaHammockGuy
02-12-2010, 12:16
okay.... with all these GA folks, we need to start something in the trips forum and plan a hang somewhere.....

Just a thought- not looking for any commitments yet.

Strapped-4-Cache
02-12-2010, 21:42
I live in Lawrenceville and work in Alpharetta. It's *so* fun to have a 16 mile commute that typically takes an hour or so to drive. :(

I'm joining in a campout in the Tallulah River campground in April. Possibly Tate Branch or Sandy Bottom - not sure which. I'd like to have a complete rig by that time, but I doubt that'll happen. I'll be able to afford the hammock, but to be able to hang on that outing I'll need to make a DIY UQ and TQ. Still, I could make do with a poly tarp since it would be basically car camping and no real hiking involved.

Time will tell. I want to make it happen, but gotta make sure I have time to not only get my hands on the equipment but also test it out beforehand.

Glad to see that there's some nearby people that can advise me and feed the obsession. I hope to meet some or all of you soon.

Mark (S-4-C)

babelfish5
02-12-2010, 21:45
Glad to have you aboard Strapped. Welcome to the insanity. There's lots of good info here.

iggy
02-12-2010, 22:04
Welcome to forum, Strapped!!

I too am in GA.
Just off of 575 and Bells Ferry.

Wow, Me too! We're neighbors, Suburban Dr off of Bells Ferry. I didn't realize we had so man ATL hangers. We've got to get a hang going. I'm an assistant organizer for this meetup : http://backpackers.meetup.com/126/

Maybe I'll post a trip. I've been wanting to do some stealth camping at Panther Creek Falls in the Cohuttas for a while. Tearbritches trail is also one of my favorites.

plowhorse
02-12-2010, 22:26
hey strapped welcome to the forums. a wally world poly tarp works fine, they really aren't that heavy either. since yu are just car camping, take along the same sleeping bag yu normally use and put a pad underneath you. I have three kids of my own, so I know what you mean about finances. depending on the weather conditions, there are all kinds of things you can use for warmth. Don't be afraid to experiment. People will think yu have lost your mind, but you'll get used to it. bottom line don't think you have to drop a lot of money to start hanging, it can be done for less than you think.

p.s. You [B]will[B] love the blackbird.

Strapped-4-Cache
02-13-2010, 08:32
Wow, Me too! We're neighbors, Suburban Dr off of Bells Ferry. I didn't realize we had so man ATL hangers. We've got to get a hang going. I'm an assistant organizer for this meetup : http://backpackers.meetup.com/126/

Maybe I'll post a trip. I've been wanting to do some stealth camping at Panther Creek Falls in the Cohuttas for a while. Tearbritches trail is also one of my favorites.

It's been quite a while since I've carried a backpack, though it's tempting to pick it back up again. I've noticed that most packs are internal frames now. Mine's an old Peak One external resin-frame. It's old, but it meets my needs. Family obligations and lack of time prevent me from going on most trips now, so the pack has just been placed in storage. Most of my trail time now is devoted to dayhikes while hunting geocaches.

- Mark (S-4-C)

Ekul
02-13-2010, 08:47

I R here in Kennesaw too.

Welcome to the forums.

OldnSlow
02-13-2010, 09:11
Welcome to the Forums, S 4 C. If I remember correctly, one can put ccf between the layers of a two layer WBBB. That will reduce the cash outlay by 1 to 2 hundred dollars. One can then upgrade easily when the new tennies for the children have been purchased, etc. I have utilized a ccf pad in my HH safari, and my DD hamock, with it working much better in the DD hammock, because of the double layer. Hope this helps

John

iggy
02-13-2010, 09:29
Hey Straps,
My brother and I have been using a car windshield reflector for a couple of years now. I got mine for 5-bucs. I also use a ccf pad. The reflector shield is cheap,light and it works well except for some condensation build up on really cold mornings.
I have plans to upgrade to a UQ this spring, but just saying you can still do it on the cheap. Yes poly tarps are the Motts, cheap and very water resistant. I even know of a couple of guys to bring them on backpacking trips.

Also, don't be afraid of used stuff. Most people on this forum have lots of extra gear. Just post on the wanted to buy section what your looking for.

iggy
02-13-2010, 09:34
I R here in Kennesaw too.

Welcome to the forums.

Man, we've got enough ATL hangers for a watermelon crawl! Let's get together. We could do a campground or a backpacking trip.

Strapped-4-Cache
02-13-2010, 09:41
Also, don't be afraid of used stuff. Most people on this forum have lots of extra gear. Just post on the wanted to buy section what your looking for.

Never afraid of used stuff. I've learned to watch the member sales threads on other forums and have always managed to get good deals, from a used but fine GPS to a 100+ year-old straight razor that still provides a fantastic shave every time it's used. Member sales within forums tend to have better quality equipment at better prices than can be found on ebay or other sites. Also, most people selling stuff have a reputation to uphold, so it's extremely uncommon for someone to sell something that is not as advertised, and is usually better than what is noted.

I've already been lurking in the sales threads to get an idea of what's being sold and for what prices. Still need to save for a while, but I'm seeing good stuff for good prices.

GaHammockGuy
02-13-2010, 10:30
Okay.... attn ..... ATLANTA HANGERS I noticed that there are a lot of GA folks here so I did a search...

I looked for threads with ATL and found nothing...
I looked for Atlanta Hangers and found nothing....

SO..... here ya go:

I created this thread, Atlanta Hangers (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=210008#post210008).

Enjoy....

CoryMoody
05-17-2010, 22:08
I live in Commerce Ga!
Id love to Meet up with the GA people and Go hiking together!!!

fr8pilot1
05-18-2010, 21:29
Welcome from the Gulf Coast of Alabama.