PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a bridge hammock rated to 350 lb in comfort

Tyroler Holzhacker
02-02-2018, 10:46
Sorry if this is redundant, and I know I probably can google the answer myself but I wanted to know if any of you larger guys/gals between 250 and 300 lbs have found a bridge hammock that you like better than a G/E hammock. It seems the G/E hammocks are the only hammocks that can support a heavier hanger. Besides shedding serious weight, which I am trying to do, any other suggestions on a bridge hammock for beefier hangers? Thanks!

raggydoo
02-02-2018, 15:54
Forum member Just Bill was making some for bigger hangers. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/140290-Town-s-End-Big-Guy-and-Luxury-Bridge-update?highlight=bill

Peppy
02-02-2018, 17:52
Forum member Just Bill was making some for bigger hangers. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/140290-Town-s-End-Big-Guy-and-Luxury-Bridge-update?highlight=bill

+1 on this! Bill is great to work with and his bridge is not only capable of the weight, it is super comfy and has lots of room!

I don't need the hammock for my weight, but I have 2 mediums and a Luxury Bridge and they are the most comfortable hammocks I own!

Mark8408
02-03-2018, 08:12
I am 300lbs and have a hammock from Bill. It is the best. I sleep daily in mine and have done for over 6 months. Best hammock I’ve ever been in by far. And when I backpack yes I pack it it. Comfort is well worth the little extra weight.

Peppy
02-03-2018, 10:29
Not sure about the Big Boy and the Luxury Bridges, but both my mediums (with bars) weigh less than a pound!

Just Bill
02-03-2018, 14:08
Sorry if this is redundant, and I know I probably can google the answer myself but I wanted to know if any of you larger guys/gals between 250 and 300 lbs have found a bridge hammock that you like better than a G/E hammock. It seems the G/E hammocks are the only hammocks that can support a heavier hanger. Besides shedding serious weight, which I am trying to do, any other suggestions on a bridge hammock for beefier hangers? Thanks!

Tyroler-
To the best of my knowledge the bridge I make is the only one available that can support a user beyond 250 pounds.
There are a few folks I've talked to who side sleep in a Ridge runner and push that a bit... but if you're not right on that line I don't believe that there are any other options.

The thread Raggydoo linked is probably the best to get additional info.

Mark8408 is actually the very first tester who was brave enough to try one out. He was also kindly persistent enough to encourage me to give this product a shot... so thanks to him for sure.

I have primarily only worked with forum members- as testers and early adopter customers so you will find some of them willing to discuss them or perhaps see them in person at a local hang.
They would probably be able to give you the most accurate first hand accounts and comparison on how they compare to GE options.

Johnny Gunz
02-04-2018, 13:28
Ty, I'm over 6' and 200ish. Bills biggie deluxe, as I call it, is truly fantastic. So is Bill. You will not regret trying one out!

OlTrailDog
02-06-2018, 11:20
A GE alternate? Both the Amok Draumr and Exped Ergo have capacities of 330lbs. Undoubtedly with some safety margin built in.

Shed a few beers and you are in!:laugh:

Tyroler Holzhacker
02-06-2018, 16:17
Thank you all for the great info. HF members are the best, and I mean the best in the world for info on all things hammocks. Not like I need another hammock, but I am curious to see how much more comfortable it can be than a GE hammock, understanding that it is not UL optimized, but then again, I am a hammock camper as opposed to a hammock thru hiker:shades: One day i hope to get more than 15 miles in a day, but one hike/hang at a time.

Tyroler Holzhacker
02-06-2018, 16:25
Would i be able to use a similar tarp and UQ on the Biggy Deluxe as on my DH sparrow GE hammock? For the record, I currently use a 42"x77" sized 20 degree UQ and an 12' ridgeline mac cat ultra tarp with doors. Hopefully I won't have to invest in another tarp and UQ. The draumer is intriguing, but would be more $$$ for complete exped air mattress and tarp/suspension system. I may be able to use my dutchware beetle buckles and poly straps for suspension though.

Just Bill
02-06-2018, 16:49
Would i be able to use a similar tarp and UQ on the Biggy Deluxe as on my DH sparrow GE hammock? For the record, I currently use a 42"x77" sized 20 degree UQ and an 12' ridgeline mac cat ultra tarp with doors. Hopefully I won't have to invest in another tarp and UQ. The draumer is intriguing, but would be more $$$ for complete exped air mattress and tarp/suspension system. I may be able to use my dutchware beetle buckles and poly straps for suspension though.

There are several folks making a 12' tarp work yes. With the ARL adjusted down a bit it can go to a 11'6/11'9" apex to apex distance.
If you are coming from a RR (where your suspension hangs out and you are used to using driplines) some people use an 11' tarp and let the lines hang out.
A few of the bigger guys are looking at 13' tarps. (like the 13' winterdream).

A Winterdream with dual pole mods seems to be the preferred full coverage option/favorite thus far.
Exactly how that compares to the Mac Cat I can't say... but the doors will help seal things up.

It all depends on you... I have one customer who uses a 10'x10' square tarp in a diamond pitch and feels coverage is great but I'd say he's an outlier.

Quilts seem very personal and the hardest issue.

Yer friend and mine Johnny Gunz uses a little pick me up at the center of the quilt to the RL to get a seal.
Some of us just put on a regular GE UQ with no modification and use that.
A very small minority seems to have found no solution- just being honest.

I don't have a custom sized quilt to fit it, and one issue I think is that with roughly 8' of 'bed' you can use there are so many different ways to sleep in it that quilts can be an issue.

These bridges are very flat and open. So it's more like cowboy camping than a GE. You are not getting a full wrap up the sides and double coverage like you would with your TQ.
The simple thing to say... they are 'colder' than you are used to. That can be a great thing for my southern customers (though not this winter!). But a bridge is harder to insulate than a GE overall if you are coming from a hammock.

Folks like me who come from the ground... It's not really any different than cowboy camping. I like that actually.
But if you are looking for that bundled in a cocoon of down gathered end goodness... I'll be the first to tell you that is a limitation to this bridge.
You get a big, wide, flat bedspace and multiple sleep positions. That comes with some trade-offs.

Like any other gear.... I'd try the base hammock itself in fair conditions before I went too nuts on it.
So in that regard- you got a 12' tarp with doors and an UQ. That's enough to get you started inside or outside when things warm up a bit.
If all goes well as you go through spring/summer then consider investing in more gear if it's 'the one'.
If not... don't trick it out right off the bat.

The only 'custom' thing you need is a bug net, so I did develop that ASAP.
In testing most of the testers and early adopters eventually found a way to make tarps, UQ's or Pad's work well enough for now so those have been low on the priority list.
80% of the folks are very happy. 15% are good enough and only 5% had a bad enough experience in some way that they gave up. That's pretty good in my book for a new product... so as things grow so will the other options.

Long story short... it didn't become such an issue I needed to stop and fix it. The glaring problem at the moment is simply making the bridge itself in volume.

Peppy
02-06-2018, 17:54

Currently I use a Loco Libre Habanero (44x80), a Jacks R Better Mount Washington 4 (42x77), and a JRB Greylock 3 (42x56) and have no issues! I sometimes use a cord in the middle to lift it up a bit, but haven't had trouble without either. When setting it up, your mind (or maybe it was just mine) will tell you it won't seal up, but it does! I've also used a HG Incubator, a WL Winter UQ, and a UGQ Zeppelin! Easy pease once you get over the mental stuff! Kinda the same with a tarp. Definitely prefer a larger tarp with the Biggie or Luxury bridge, but an 11' works pretty well with the mediums. There are also a couple of DIY tarps (NOT my design) that I'm using that actually attach to the hammock itself that I'm having great luck with! The bottom line is, if you'll fiddle with it and figure it out, most gear is adaptable to the Towns-End bridges!

monkeynono
02-07-2018, 07:00
Yeah, I'm going the need one of these bridges.

Peppy
02-07-2018, 07:12
If you do and need any tips, post here and we’ll be glad to help out! I struggled mostly with tarps early on, but it’s an awesome hammock!

happydensity
02-09-2018, 11:23
UGQ Winterdream 12 tarp fits perfectly, can fully button it up. I usually only use tarp pullouts on one side when backpacking (had them placed halfway down the sides, like a Cloudburst), but the stock width spread is perfect for this recessed bar bridge. Still experimenting with HG Incubator/Exped pads

snwcmpr
02-09-2018, 11:37
Are dimensions of the hammocks anywhere here? As a comparison the the RR.
I know closing the Superfly doors on a RR can be tricky, but some have adapted the dogbone lengths to remidy that.
(Looking at the UGQ Winterdream right now)

Ken in NC

Johnny Gunz
02-09-2018, 20:59
The widest part of a big bridge is the head end bar. I think it's 36" IIRC.

snwcmpr
02-09-2018, 21:24
Thanks, I was thinking more in the way of determining future tarp purchases. I do see that the UGQ Winterdream 13 fits these hammocks well.

Beemermcr
02-09-2018, 23:29
The glaring problem at the moment is simply making the bridge itself in volume.

And that, folks, is how you know you have a successful product!!

sqidmark
02-10-2018, 06:35
The widest part of a big bridge is the head end bar. I think it's 36" IIRC.

The head end of the BB and Lux are 43", the foot is 36". Both ends of the Med are 36".

sqidmark
02-10-2018, 06:51
Yeah, I'm going the need one of these bridges.

I had both a Lux and a 1.2 Med set up at the NJ winter hang, within sight of where you guys were. Several people had given them a brief test. I even walked one of the very rare uber light micro's over to you guys (in it's stuff sack) figuring it would pique your interest, but with virtually zero reaction I walked away in silence.

Slugger
02-13-2018, 10:38
I use an UGQ Winterdream 12 and that fits great. A 13 would be even better. And I do have the internal double pole mod and it opens the inside perfectly for JustBill's BGBH.

snwcmpr
02-13-2018, 10:47
I use an UGQ Winterdream 12 and that fits great. A 13 would be even better. And I do have the internal double pole mod and it opens the inside perfectly for JustBill's BGBH.

Good to hear. Are you bringing that to Yates?

Slugger
02-13-2018, 11:47
I initially said I was going to be at Yates (and with the bridge hammock) but that is up in the air right now. Got stuff going on with my parents that weekend. If anything I might be able to do Thu/Fri/leave Saturday morning. It's going to be a last minute decision.

snwcmpr
02-13-2018, 14:24
It will be last minute for me, too. If I can go.