PDA

View Full Version : Video: Review of the REI Flash Hammock

Mogollon Monster
02-09-2018, 16:10
I finally found some time to edit the REI Flash review. Its a cool hammock that is worth a look. It has a lot of interesting features and would be perfect for kids and short people. I'm sure the Flash will bring many new folks into our hammock community. Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEz6H8Nb16c&feature=youtu.be

TrailSlug
02-09-2018, 16:57
Great video and covered most of what I wanted to see. It appeared that you had your under quilt on backwards but the point was made none the less. Thanks for taking the time to do this video and sharing with us. PS I'm an REI fan as well. I just wish we had one closer.

Mogollon Monster
02-09-2018, 17:04
Great video and covered most of what I wanted to see. It appeared that you had your under quilt on backwards but the point was made none the less. Thanks for taking the time to do this video and sharing with us. PS I'm an REI fan as well. I just wish we had one closer.

Ha!! I probably did. I haven’t used in an UQ in almost a year since I started using the 90 degree. Good catch TS.

TrailSlug
02-09-2018, 17:09
Ha!! I probably did. I haven’t used in an UQ in almost a year since I started using the 90 degree. Good catch TS.
No worries as I really like your videos and appreciate that you are sharing them with us.

inspectorguy
02-09-2018, 17:20
Thanks fer taking the time to review. You gonna keep it or take it back? Inquiring minds want to know...

Mogollon Monster
02-09-2018, 17:38
Thanks fer taking the time to review. You gonna keep it or take it back? Inquiring minds want to know...

That’s a great question. I may keep it for the kids. It’s a good size for them

OlTrailDog
02-09-2018, 17:40
Holy Moly Monster! Forget the hammock, what was that motorized uni-board thing you were traveling on? First time I've seen one of those :shades:

Thanks for the review. Quite interesting, but I left bridge hammocks behind when I met a 90 degree. So, it really isn't the hammock for me. However, my hat off to REI for doing some R&D and coming up with their unique product and for including all the doo daws to make it work. Heck of a lot better than the Chinese tying a couple ropes to a hunk of nylon and throwing it on ebay.

PS: I almost forgot. Yes it is ORANGE. That is because they know for sure Shug will be buying one for sure! :lol:

Mogollon Monster
02-09-2018, 17:48
Holy Moly Monster! Forget the hammock, what was that motorized uni-board thing you were traveling on? First time I've seen one of those :shades:

Thanks for the review. Quite interesting, but I left bridge hammocks behind when I met a 90 degree. So, it really isn't the hammock for me. However, my hat off to REI for doing some R&D and coming up with their unique product and for including all the doo daws to make it work. Heck of a lot better than the Chinese tying a couple ropes to a hunk of nylon and throwing it on ebay.

PS: I almost forgot. Yes it is ORANGE. That is because they know for sure Shug will be buying one for sure! :lol:

It’s called a OneWheel. It’s super fun and even goes off-road.

stowe18
02-09-2018, 17:57
Great review— thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmyoung19
02-09-2018, 20:47
Thanks for taking the time to give so much detail in your review. While this probably isn’t the hammock for me, I’m seriously googling the OneWheel right now - that thing looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigglet
02-09-2018, 21:31
Great video. Thanks for taking the time to review it. I like that you pointed out both good and not-so-good points (like the plastic buckle thingy). Interesting about the bugnet pole. I have a Sea to Summit bugnet that I tried out this fall that uses kind of the same approach with a pole in the middle instead of having to use a ridgeline.

bloomgorge
02-09-2018, 21:46
Nicely done video!

JmBoh
02-09-2018, 23:12
Great video! As for the hammock/bivy/tent. No. Just....no.

Tony c
02-09-2018, 23:48
I was hoping that the spreader would help with loose fabric and shoulder squeeze. I'm bummed wilderness logics didn't finalize the spreader bar hammock. It's an idea that has possible merit.

But this is just a hoop to keep the net off in lieu of a ridgeline.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Cabmanhang
02-10-2018, 06:13
Nice review!

Has REI learned nothing from the hammock forums .NET?

A 9 foot hammock. No.
Banana lay. No.
3ft wide. No.
Quick release clips on hammock. No.

And What is that silly spreader bar?

I did notice that they made up some faux Dutchware with those C clips. So, at least that are paying attention to the great innovator.

Some advice for REI(Cause I know they are desperate for it):

Sell an 11 foot hammock.
Keep it simple.
Offer options to upgrade a bugnet, underquilts, accessories, etc..
Make it all cross compatible.

Sometimes I wonder if REI just absolutely does NOT want their customers to experience the real joy of a comfortable nights sleep in a hammock. Suits me. Better for the cottage vendors.

chromedome
02-10-2018, 09:21

Great video and review... I looks pretty comfy with the pad in it.. What do you mean by "using the 90 degree"?

Mogollon Monster
02-10-2018, 09:33
Great video and review... I looks pretty comfy with the pad in it.. What do you mean by "using the 90 degree"?

This is the 90 degree hammock made by HammockTent. It’s called the Gamma 2.0. It is my go-to hammock lately. It’s crazy comfortable and very light.

chromedome
02-10-2018, 10:08

This is the 90 degree hammock made by HammockTent. It’s called the Gamma 2.0. It is my go-to hammock lately. It’s crazy comfortable and very light.

Oh gotcha... duh.. i was thinking insulation for some reason.. i forgot about the 90 degree hammocks..

Tikker
02-10-2018, 10:47
another good review

man, you have ALL the toys

I can't imagine how awful those straps across the pad feel :(