PDA

View Full Version : Canada->Ontario->EGL->2018 Canoeing Season

Chard
02-11-2018, 17:53
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/picture_072b.jpg

EGL 2018 Canoeing Season Lineup

Hey folks, I wanted to set an ambitious schedule for 2018 and throw out some of the trips that I'd love to try to get in this year. It'll be great to get out with old friends and with luck, we might even make some new ones. If you can hang a bear bag and say "Chowda", you're welcome.

Spring Trout'n Trip

​May 14-21- Weeklonger's/Marshmallow rendezvous. McIntosh would be my first choice. Opeongo, Temagami also sounds wonderful, but may be a little far for some. May 5-13 might be better depending on ice-out.

Yurt Raising Labour Camp

​Date TBD: One of our own could use a hand moving building materials to a backwoods cottage site. Muscle and sweat to be balanced with meat and beer. The more hands we have the faster we'll be done. If hauling's not your speed, then camp cooks are welcome.

​Lower Madawaska Sunken Canoe Hang

June ?: ConnieB and Martin to advise. A little whitewater playing around on the beautiful Madawaska River near Bancroft. Whitewater gear rentals may be required for qualified paddlers. Portaging's an easy option.

Summer Coastal Cruise

July/August: French River down to the Georgian Bay

Autumn Trout'n Leaves Trip

Late September/Early October: Algonquin/Killarney Weeklonger's/Marshmallow rendezvous.

Just throwing out a dream paddling season. Specific will be managed on Google Sheets (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x8z9kKvyVQRZRctpWkWVzsYZTRaZ5OVewKAKFTzHt-E/edit?usp=sharing)..

Anyone interested? These are just ideas. Like most of our hangs, the where doesn't really matter, just the when.

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/chard_n.jpg
My entry for "Mr. October" on the 2018 EGL Paddlers of the Bush Calendar:cool:

KeeWayKeno
02-11-2018, 19:17
Now yer talkin'!

I'm a YES for everything, dates (& my bride) permitting. Except the Yurt raising, that one is mandatory for me or I'm in big trouble with Whet Newdell.

My vote for Spring trout is McIntosh.

Bubba
02-11-2018, 20:22
Wish I could go to all of them but I’m relegated to Spring and Autumn. Speaking as a Marshmallows, I would like to put forth that the end meet up be on a lake with either no or a short portage. Since I always have cancelling last minute as a possibility due to home life, I’ll leave it to the other Marshmallows to chime in with their input.

If there is a weeklong trip which includes McIntosh, we could always do the end meet up on good old Tom Thompson. There's only a short portage from Canoe Lake to get to Tom Thompson for the Marshmallows.

Niagara
02-14-2018, 08:13
I'd love to attend yurt raising date and distance depending. Have to start getting in a shape other than oval and failing that I don't mind pulling off KP duties.
If it's hot / humid there's AC right?;)

Chard
02-14-2018, 19:22
No trying to suggest anything but whilst yurting...

krqz35t8hLk

Judging by their grill, these guys below must be a long lost Patagonian chapter of the EGL!!!!

e9iuhbDHPPg

Costco Whole Lamb $180-$255. 10 guys/2 HUGE meals for about $9-$12.5 each meal. Not too bad.

mrcheviot
02-17-2018, 00:44
I'm interested in the early fall Algonquin trip, would love a week up there and it'll be the soonest I can make it this year (2nd kid coming in May).

Bubba
02-17-2018, 11:28
I'm interested in the early fall Algonquin trip, would love a week up there and it'll be the soonest I can make it this year (2nd kid coming in May).

It would be nice to have another Yank come up to join us. Congrats in advance on the upcoming arrival!

Chard
02-17-2018, 18:32

Hi Mrcheviot! Glad to hear you might be joining us. EGL stands for Eastern Great Lakes and Rochester's definitely one of the family. I hope you like good food, drink and did I mention food.

keg
02-18-2018, 13:04
Having had to miss the winter season for various reasons, I'm rearing to go.

For the spring trip I might be looking to do both the start and end weekends. Unfortunately I have to reserve my CLT experiences for the summer.

I'd also be up for the French if it's in July. I usually reserve mid august for my long solo trip.

Hope everyone has been doing well.

76 highboy
02-19-2018, 19:37
Most likely in for the yurt "erection". easy now!
Georgian bay sounds very interesting. Maybe around philip edward island. Nudge nudge,wink wink.
Ive already booked off 1/2 of september so I'm in for some hangin & paddlin.

Re: yurt. Will it have the base already there ? Who dosn't mind eating lamb 2 days in a row :laugh:

Chard
02-19-2018, 19:59
Re: yurt. Will it have the base already there ? Who dosn't mind eating lamb 2 days in a row :laugh:

Philip Edward Island? That's a long paddle.

I've seen a couple of pictures of the deck under construction, so I'd venture to say "yes". Also, two days of lamb would be tough. We might have to pack out the clean picked bones though.

76 highboy
02-19-2018, 20:24
Mmmm, soup bones.
Goat anyone?
Pei, Yeah kinda long. You know me,thinking how to avoid portaging my kayak.

Huckleberry Hanger
02-27-2018, 11:55
The last I heard, the yurt base had been built. I think they added the stairs in October or November. I am following this thread closely but can't commit due to previous camping commitments and trying to stay married! Likely in for the yurt build depending on the date.

KeeWayKeno
02-27-2018, 15:34
This is Whet Newdell's project but he's a busy lad so I can update as logistics are finalized. Right now he's organizing the first phase, getting the disassembled parts (expected delivery mid March) from Guelph up to the launch site.

The roads into our launch site usually flood over for a brief period in spring so we'll have to be flexible about dates as conditions change. Realistically, the actual yurt raising is likely to be early-mid June. FYI, the site is west of the 400 near Mactier.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Chard
02-28-2018, 13:14
This is Whet Newdell's project but he's a busy lad so I can update as logistics are finalized. Right now he's organizing the first phase, getting the disassembled parts (expected delivery mid March) from Guelph up to the launch site.

The roads into our launch site usually flood over for a brief period in spring so we'll have to be flexible about dates as conditions change. Realistically, the actual yurt raising is likely to be early-mid June. FYI, the site is west of the 400 near Mactier.

So when did you think Whet Newdell (love that name) wanted assistance? Mid-late march, early-mid June or both?

KeeWayKeno
02-28-2018, 16:40
I'm not sure, but will ask him to weigh in. I'm still on the far side of the planet & won't have regular WiFi access after this morning.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180228/fd67f06ae91f0cb91284ff3898bccdfe.jpg

Chard
02-28-2018, 17:16
I'm not sure, but will ask him to weigh in. I'm still on the far side of the planet & won't have regular WiFi access after this morning.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180228/fd67f06ae91f0cb91284ff3898bccdfe.jpg

Nice!

bodhran4me
03-01-2018, 10:43
Where abouts is the yurt raising ?

Whet Newdell
03-01-2018, 23:01
Whew, finally figuring out how to use this app, plus new phone.

Yurt update:

The beast is being shipped to Guelph mid-March. I had to buy (for later resale) an 18 foot 5 ton trailer, so I can haul it to Burnt Lake north of Mactier (also called Jocelyn Lake).

Two stages with dates are:

April 28-May 1
This is a ‘get there, haul crap over’ odyssey. Not glorious but necessary. The roads will be solid by then and the bugs not yet out.

Next, is the yurt raising week:
6 June to 12 June (weekend is 9/10).

There will be bugs....
However, the land is a square point that gets cross-breeze on much of it, and the eastern hemlocks drop acidic needles that really reduce underbrush and the corresponding mosquitos. They are only ever a fraction as bad on this property as they seem to be most of the surrounding area. A nice fluke of nature indeed.

I have two canoes, two rowboats, and a 12x16 barge/dock that I built. Two other canoes are elsewhere - one is 1.5 km away on another lake that only has 1 cabin on the whole lake and no roads. Very isolated.

There is another lake not too far where blue herons nest.

The land is across a narrow part of the lake — water access only. It is only 200 feet across the narrow part. No current, small waves, and never wind bound (sometimes wind annoyed though)

3.5 acres. Trees everywhere. 800 feet of shoreline, half angles to toward sunrise and the other half toward sunset.

The camp is rustic — 4 small shed/shack/bunkie/gazebo deals.

Firewood all over. One very well seasoned fire pit. Other less worked-in options around.

The deck is 40 x 40.
The yurt is 32 foot diameter.

It says you need 4 people for 4 days. We have 3 people now for 5 days (not counting travel and setup/packup days). but more makes it easier, faster, less stressful, more fun, gives lots of latitude for learning and dumbass mistakes....

So this is really a no/low pressure come and go as you can or please type of thing — see the place so you can learn how to get there on your own at other times. Explore a bit with canoe or hike... it is all crown land from very many kilometres to the west and south. Ample room to solo or socialize as you like.

If you used it as either camp or base camp for future hangs, that would be terrific. It’s a long journey to get there, but you never need permits or payments.

I have never raised a yurt before —- truly making all of this up as I go along....

Whet Newdell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuvmyBonnet
03-02-2018, 01:08
That sounds amazing Newdell! Not sure how much help I'll be as I'm going back under the knife on March 20th. Keeping my fingers crossed as the fix could add portaging and hiking to my life.

Whet Newdell
03-02-2018, 13:49
That sounds amazing Newdell! Not sure how much help I'll be as I'm going back under the knife on March 20th. Keeping my fingers crossed as the fix could add portaging and hiking to my life.

Holy smokes - good luck! May you have the best possible result with all of the corresponding renewed ability!

Chard
03-02-2018, 15:58
April 28-May 1
This is a ‘get there, haul crap over’ odyssey. Not glorious but necessary. The roads will be solid by then and the bugs not yet out.
Next, is the yurt raising week:
6 June to 12 June (weekend is 9/10).

So let's fix the "Yurt Hauling Crap Labour Camp" hang for April 28 - April 30 (Sat-Mon) with the option of extending to May 1st (Tuesday). People can opt for a 1, 2 or 3 night hang I suppose. Need I remind you that your dates fall upon the holy "opener" weekend and there won't be a trout for miles!

Yurt 'Hauling Crap' Labour Camp (April 28-30)

​Date TBD: One of our own could use a hand moving building materials to a backwoods cottage site. Muscle and sweat to be balanced with meat and beer. The more hands we have the faster we'll be done. If hauling's not your speed, then camp cooks are welcome.

Yurt Raising Labour Camp (June 8-10)

If you want/need more guys on the 8/9/10 of June for the actual Yurt raising, just give the word.

Hope those dates work for everyone. The more the merrier.

LuvmyBonnet: Good luck in March and remember not to fidget on the operating table. Tell them that if they don't fix you up right, they have to carry your gear across the portages!

Whet Newdell
03-02-2018, 17:48
I hope not to disappoint on the Trout.... have only ever seen bass in the lake and the season for them is.... I forget but pretty late (seguin township) however about 1 km West there is another lake with who knows what in it

Whet Newdell
03-02-2018, 18:02
Anyone wanting to look up the lake.... look hwy 400 between Mactier and parry sound. Where Lawson bay road intersects, look west 2kms for burnt lake.

Niagara
03-02-2018, 18:25
I will check my schedule at work and home....this has all the soundings of epic stories for generations...
Niagara

Whet Newdell
03-02-2018, 19:22
I will need to share some documents. Can I do that here or would it be better to start collecting some emails? Some details on how to find your way in, parking, and how to communicate to get across the water if all the boats have been taken before you... things like that. Names and cell numbers etc... (full cell coverage there)

Niagara
03-02-2018, 21:24
I will need to share some documents. Can I do that here or would it be better to start collecting some emails? Some details on how to find your way in, parking, and how to communicate to get across the water if all the boats have been taken before you... things like that. Names and cell numbers etc... (full cell coverage there)

I believe some type of code-talking may be best...?? lol. (Others would have more experience with what works best - I will just follow.)
by the way - we haven't met, but thank you for opening up the opportunity to folks with an interest to help participate in your quest. (btw..for June I think I read somewhere there is air conditioning?)
Niagara

Bubba
03-07-2018, 09:10
Work wise with regards to the Spring trip, I was able to clear both the weekends of the 11-13 and 18-20 for the Marshmallow meet up depending on when the weeklong trip starts. Now I just have to work the family...

BigGreenMoose
03-07-2018, 18:02
If you guys are ok with a new face joining in on the yurt festivities, I'm really keen to pitch in and learn a few things at the same time.

Unlike 2017, this year it looks like I might be able to make a few of the outting dates in 2018!

Both work and family schedules line up, and it looks like I'll be able to help out with both hauling and raising weekends.

Able-bodied and generally handy with my hands... I've got a pair of kayaks if needed, some hand tools/spare gear I can bring, and can be pressed into camp cooking/fire tending/beer nursing.

Looking forward to this!
Moose

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chard
03-08-2018, 17:06
Work wise with regards to the Spring trip, I was able to clear both the weekends of the 11-13 and 18-20 for the Marshmallow meet up depending on when the weeklong trip starts. Now I just have to work the family...

If you guys are ok with a new face joining in on the yurt festivities, I'm really keen to pitch in and learn a few things at the same time.
Unlike 2017, this year it looks like I might be able to make a few of the outting dates in 2018!
Both work and family schedules line up, and it looks like I'll be able to help out with both hauling and raising weekends.
Able-bodied and generally handy with my hands... I've got a pair of kayaks if needed, some hand tools/spare gear I can bring, and can be pressed into camp cooking/fire tending/beer nursing.
Looking forward to this!
Moose

Old faces and new. Good to hear you guys can come out.

LuvmyBonnet
03-08-2018, 17:23
I've got a pair of kayaks if needed
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey Moose! It would be great to add another kayaker to the group. So far 76Highboy and I are the only kayakers. Everyone else has those gear halin canoes. I'm tempted to build a cedar strip or skin on canoe once I get my basement organised.

76 highboy
03-12-2018, 16:34
I am in for the april "labour camp".:)
Depending on workload/fun factor, I might be able to either go in a day early and or stay a day longer. Shiftwork sometimes have their perks.
According to Muskoka waterweb,Burnt is a bass lake alright but also has sunfish,catfish. They make a fine fishfry in the spring.

underserviced
03-13-2018, 09:45
I'm in for every part I can jam into my calendar. Rumour has it the yurt has made it to Ontario and ready for the next leg of it's journey...

Chard
03-13-2018, 12:18
I'm in for every part I can jam into my calendar. Rumour has it the yurt has made it to Ontario and ready for the next leg of it's journey...

I'm wondering if it would be easier to paddle in the spring or freighter toboggan the parts across frozen lakes?

underserviced
03-13-2018, 12:42
I would have had input, but now that I've seen pictures of what needs to be tranported - I think cargo plane would be best.

ggreaves
03-13-2018, 15:06
pictures? do share.

Bubba
03-14-2018, 05:04
Had to request my vacation before March 15th so I booked off the last weekend of September for the Fall trip so we can catch the last few days of trout season.

76 highboy
03-14-2018, 09:35
I'm wondering if it would be easier to paddle in the spring or freighter toboggan the parts across frozen lakes?

That sounds like a good idea. Better than 57 trips in a canoe.
Yup,sure would like to see some pics of what reqs transporting down the lake.

KeeWayKeno
03-15-2018, 02:50
[QUOTE=Niagara;1867921]by the way - we haven't met, but thank you for opening up the opportunity to folks with an interest to help participate in your quest.QUOTE]

You did actually meet ... his son ate a healthy helping of the terrific 'Taters you shared at the Fall Valens hang! (Don't think he'd created his 'Whet Newdell' persona yet though, so you might remember him as my smarter, funnier & better looking younger brother, Joel.)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180315/7e74d596f0a9a7593eb15e4d9634b305.jpg

Niagara
03-15-2018, 05:43
[QUOTE=Niagara;1867921]by the way - we haven't met, but thank you for opening up the opportunity to folks with an interest to help participate in your quest.QUOTE]

You did actually meet ... his son ate a healthy helping of the terrific 'Taters you shared at the Fall Valens hang! (Don't think he'd created his 'Whet Newdell' persona yet though, so you might remember him as my smarter, funnier & better looking younger brother, Joel.)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180315/7e74d596f0a9a7593eb15e4d9634b305.jpg

lol....ooooohhhhhhh,......well alright-y then!!!
Niagara

KeeWayKeno
03-17-2018, 14:01
pictures? do share.Sorry, not much to see. Delivered in two crates. Will be opened & inventoried over coming weeks.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180317/673049bef34ca75b74939f6a21e7997e.jpg

KeeWayKeno
03-17-2018, 14:06
Here's the deck it's going on, in a clearing on a high point, water views east & west, surrounded by 150 year old White Pine. 40' X 40' ... & yes, the stairs are done now.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180317/89c6550b7296e0617d7cba04afc3bb46.jpg

Chard
03-17-2018, 14:19
Here's the deck it's going on, in a clearing on a high point, water views east & west, surrounded by 150 year old White Pine. 40' X 40' ... & yes, the stairs are done now.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180317/89c6550b7296e0617d7cba04afc3bb46.jpg

Looks lovely!

I'm really stoked to get those two crates portaged to the site. That place will be fantastic when it's finished!

P.S. Welcome back on top from down under...

KeeWayKeno
03-17-2018, 15:34
I am in for the april "labour camp".:)
According to Muskoka waterweb,Burnt is a bass lake alright but also has sunfish,catfish. They make a fine fishfry in the spring.

Unfortunately this area (Zone 15) doesn't open for Bass until June 23 due to spawning, so the fishfry will have to be panfish or store-bought. The good news is the grocery & LCBO stores in MacTier & Parry Sound are both a short paddle & drive away!

76 highboy
03-17-2018, 20:40
Unfortunately this area (Zone 15) doesn't open for Bass until June 23 due to spawning, so the fishfry will have to be panfish or store-bought. The good news is the grocery & LCBO stores in MacTier & Parry Sound are both a short paddle & drive away!

Thanx KWK. I was actually aware of the season opener for bass but wanted to point out what " Muskoka water web " had to say about it.
Its one of my favourite fishing info sites. I'd post a link but I'm a techno knob.
Panfish are fine by me,better than being fishless.

LCBO ! Wheeee!

BigGreenMoose
03-17-2018, 20:50
Hey Moose! It would be great to add another kayaker to the group. So far 76Highboy and I are the only kayakers. Everyone else has those gear halin canoes. I'm tempted to build a cedar strip or skin on canoe once I get my basement organised.I'm itching to switch to a canoe this year if budget allows. Love my kayak, but my needs are changing and a canoe might be a better fit.

The site looks like a good place to hang! Lots of mature trees from the looks of it.

Need to dive into the gear boxes in the basement and start overthinking my packing list. Ha!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

KeeWayKeno
03-21-2018, 08:46
I don't know about you folks, but my calendar is filling up fast. For those who need to plan well ahead to reserve the time, can we firm up the Spring Trout trip? The rest can wait.

Unless I missed something, it appears we have some nods & no objections for McIntosh (Weekers) & Thomson (Marshmallows) for May 14-21. If not happy with the 'where' yet, maybe we can just agree on the 'when'.

Is that cool with everybody or are there still some good ideas floating around?

P.S. ... a demo video by Swift up in Huntsville last week shows the Muskoka river through town is ice free!!

Chard
03-21-2018, 13:54
I don't know about you folks, but my calendar is filling up fast. For those who need to plan well ahead to reserve the time, can we firm up the Spring Trout trip? The rest can wait.

Unless I missed something, it appears we have some nods & no objections for McIntosh (Weekers) & Thomson (Marshmallows) for May 14-21. If not happy with the 'where' yet, maybe we can just agree on the 'when'.

Is that cool with everybody or are there still some good ideas floating around?

P.S. ... a demo video by Swift up in Huntsville last week shows the river through town is ice free!!

I'm good with the May 14-21 wherever we go.

Maybe something like a relaxing Canoe (in) > Burnt Island (x1) > Big Trout (x2) > McIntosh (x2) > Tom Thomson (Fri-Weekend) > Canoe (out). Quality lollygagging time.

Perhaps a shuttle route from Smoke (in) > Big Porcupine or McGarvey (1) > North Grace (2) > Harry or Louisa (2) > Pen (Fri-Weekend) > Rock (out). Better fishing and no looping.

Maybe we could head out ? (in) > ? > ? > ? > ? (out) after some huge brook trout but those secret lakes will remain difficult to access and, of course, nameless (aka highly redacted trip report).

mrcheviot
03-21-2018, 14:14

We haven't met yet, but that doesn't has to stop us from being best friends who invite each other to visit our cool spots in the woods, does it? :rolleyes:

KeeWayKeno
03-21-2018, 14:22
We haven't met yet, but that doesn't has to stop us from being best friends who invite each other to visit our cool spots in the woods, does it? :rolleyes:

One can never have too many friends ... & everybody is welcome, especially if they're willing to work![emoji6]
Except WiFi lady.

Iguana
03-21-2018, 14:31
For those keeping up with this multi-threaded thread, I am good with May 14-21. Any route plan is good in my books.

Chard
03-21-2018, 14:37
One can never have too many friends ... & everybody is welcome, especially if they're willing to work![emoji6]
Except WiFi lady.

You know why you're here, right?

https://www.criminalelement.com/images/stories/-2016-Jan-Mar/tin-foil-index.jpg

Chard
03-21-2018, 14:42
For those keeping up with this multi-threaded thread, I am good with May 14-21. Any route plan is good in my books.

Would you guys prefer trip-specific threads to keep things organized? I was hoping the Google Sheet would serve that function.

"A system of threads interlinked within threads interlinked within threads interlinked within one thread..."

Bubba
03-21-2018, 18:20
I don’t mind the spreadsheet but I also like the notifications form the trip threads. I can only go for a couple of nights so having it on the long weekend doesn’t matter to me. The 14-21 is fine. I like the quality lollygagging of the first suggestion. I feel like I’ve been to Rock/Pen a lot in the past and wouldn’t mind doing Canoe to Thompson only because I have not done it in a while. Although being a long weekend means Canoe will be busy for the weekenders.

KeeWayKeno
04-03-2018, 07:21
Not to further dilute this thread but just FYI there are still 30 tickets left for the annual Canoe Symposium this Saturday in Waterloo. A full day of presentations by interesting speakers for only $16. Organized by the same guy (Dave Bain, a local teacher) who sets up this year's first Winter Camping Symposium. Hope to see a few familiar faces again!
See link for tickets:
https://www.facebook.com/Ontariobackcountrycanoe/posts/1834641789939153

Yurt Update: Whet Newdell & I are heading up to the Rock weekend of 14-15 to open camp & repair the ravages of winter. Expect all is well there & the "Haul Stuff In" trip will proceed as planned April 28-May 1.

Getting stoked for the canoeing season, can't believe it's April already. Time to start pulling kit down out of the gear loft, shopping for killer lures & drooling over maps. Tired of living through others' YouTube videos!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180403/d08de97b4a448e90884c9efaf5905d19.jpg

Niagara
04-04-2018, 05:38
Yurt Update: Whet Newdell & I are heading up to the Rock weekend of 14-15 to open camp & repair the ravages of winter. Expect all is well there & the "Haul Stuff In" trip will proceed as planned April 28-May 1.

I'm still in for the haul
Niagara

ggreaves
04-06-2018, 00:24
French River Question.... do I need to take a white water paddling course for this trip?

Chard
04-06-2018, 09:12
French River Question.... do I need to take a white water paddling course for this trip?

Hiya.

I'm fairly certain that all of the rapids worth worrying about have portages. I certainly won't be running anything more than a class 1 swift fully loaded.

As for taking a whitewater course, that's totally up to you; not necessary, but the French might be a fun opportunity to practice a bit. A couple of us took the Madawaska Kanu Centre's 5 day introductory (read "noob") tandem canoe course and it was amazing. By the end of the five days were we running rapids that in the past would have made me wet my pants just to look at them. Actually I did wet my pants plowing through haystacks, so I guess in the end my pants were no better off.

LuvmyBonnet
04-07-2018, 09:06
Hey all. My trial spinal stimulator was a success. It was only a 1 week trial so it's out now and I go back to the Doc on the 11th to see when the permanent internal one can be installed. Once the permanent one is in I'm told it will be about a month for recovery. Don't know when I'll be able to paddle again but it's not soon enough for me!

Chard
04-07-2018, 09:55
Hey all. My trial spinal stimulator was a success. It was only a 1 week trial so it's out now and I go back to the Doc on the 11th to see when the permanent internal one can be installed. Once the permanent one is in I'm told it will be about a month for recovery. Don't know when I'll be able to paddle again but it's not soon enough for me!

That's fantastic news! Looking forward to seeing you back on the water soon!

KeeWayKeno
04-08-2018, 14:46
That is great! Just FYI if you're interested in coming up for the Yurt build in June, there are NO portages. We will provide rowboat taxi service (me) from the parking area across the small lake to Whet Newdell's land for anybody who doesn't feel like paddling. No strain required, you can just come up, watch the fun & relax in the Piney Woods ... especially if you're willing to make another one of your amazing pineapple upside down cakes!!!

LuvmyBonnet
04-08-2018, 20:03
I'd totally be up for the Yurt build. Sounds amazing. I'll have a better time table after Wednesday.
I'd be down with another pineapple upside down cake! Yummy!
I'm also looking at recipes for Chocolate Turtle Cake, Smores Bars and Raspberry Cobbler.
I'm thinking Cobbler but I'll let the people speak....
If I make it up I'll also make Drunkin Dates. Had them at HangCon and they where delicious. :boggle:

Niagara
04-09-2018, 13:01

Good news Mr Bonnet!!

76 highboy
04-09-2018, 18:13
Thats great news! Life without limits!

ggreaves
04-17-2018, 08:15
sigh......

Bubba
04-17-2018, 08:22
sigh......

Uh-oh, doesn’t sound good ☹️

ggreaves
04-17-2018, 10:52
Uh-oh, doesn’t sound good ☹️

nothing really - just looking at the weather - hoping for ice out before july

BigGreenMoose
04-17-2018, 11:29
It certainly doesn't feel like spring yet!

ggreaves
04-17-2018, 11:46
would anybody be up for an overnight at silent lake this saturday night?

ConnieB
04-18-2018, 09:52
[QUOTE=LuvmyBonnet;1877625]Hey all. My trial spinal stimulator was a success. It was only a 1 week trial so it's out now and I go back to the Doc on the 11th to see when the permanent internal one can be installed. Once the permanent one is in I'm told it will be about a month for recovery. Don't know when I'll be able to paddle again but it's not soon enough for me![/

Very happy to hear all went well. Wish you a speedy recovery. I won't see my paddle for a while too as Mr. Husband dislocated his shoulder and a rib while paddling in Tennessee recently. We are lined up with lots of tai chi and cooking up some bone broth to encourage healing of the sore joints.

Happy spring everyone!

Chard
04-18-2018, 14:09
[QUOTE=LuvmyBonnet;1877625]Very happy to hear all went well. Wish you a speedy recovery. I won't see my paddle for a while too as Mr. Husband dislocated his shoulder and a rib while paddling in Tennessee recently. We are lined up with lots of tai chi and cooking up some bone broth to encourage healing of the sore joints.
Happy spring everyone!

That's terrible news! Pho, Pho and more Pho!

Chard
04-20-2018, 16:25
What's the word?

I've been looking forward to this relaxing "haul" for months. Old Man Winter's been flirting with Mother Nature for the last couple of weeks, lingering around, causing mayhem. I've been wearing my shorts, trying to convince him that it was time he took his road show south of the equator, and I finally think he's taking the hint. You're welcome! P.S. I might need a lift because the car's in the shop.

Whet Newdell
04-20-2018, 20:09
Yurt update

Greetings all. It has been a frustrating while with the extended winter, and a number of local promises on the trailer transport side repeatedly not coming through.

I have a Plan B trailer now on my truck to be loaded with yurt parts this weekend. I plan to drive north on April 28 as originally stated, and I will pray for ice-out between then and now.

This year is like non-other. Ice-out is now a few weeks late.

This is nothing short of a gamble. I am gambling I can get in. I am gambling I can get to my barge/dock on the far shore a few hundred feet yonder and bring it over. I am gambling I can get yurt parts across the lake and stored all in the 3 nights / 4 days. I was to have gone north last weekend to set up camp and get things ready but the late season freeze and ice storm made that impossible.

Please stay tuned for other-daily updates from this point onward. I am watching two webcams in the area and hitting refresh every 11 seconds while biting my nails, and drinking, and swearing. A lot.

If you are still entertaining this huge misadventure, please either PM me or keewaykeno in the next couple of days and give your email so we can share instructions, directions, strategy, cell contact info etc. to be able to coordinate properly off Tapatalk.

Cheers!

Whet Newdell

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180421/72fa37027ebcd2872772b744ecefce3d.jpg

BigGreenMoose
04-22-2018, 16:10
Pm sent. This sunshine is a promising sign!

KeeWayKeno
04-22-2018, 19:22
Another Yurt Haul Update

Whet Newdell & I spent the last two days unpacking the yurt shipping crates & loading the trailer.

Or I should say lifting, carrying, shoving, sliding, groaning, balancing ... then head scratching, cursing, offloading, sorting & reloading. A neat, balanced load finally achieved, we wrapped it all up in tarps & securely strapped down all 3,000 lbs of it. Phew ... but it's ready to go!!

Now all we need is the weather to live up to the promise the calendar made. Another week like the last couple of days & we SHOULD (fingers crossed, knocking on wood & rubbing rabbits feet) be good to rock.

We are monitoring it daily. Ok, actually every few minutes. A webcam on Lake Joseph, about 5 km due east of our site, shows terrific progress in just the last two days. Keep going!

Dont forget, if you are planning to come (or even just toying with the idea but fear commitment), please send me or Whet Newdell your email address so we can easily distribute final logistical info.

Keep thinking warm thoughts!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180422/b02eb30d4c82ae4dca8f83d6efa4d235.jpg

76 highboy
04-23-2018, 13:28
Hmm, toboggan or kayak? I,ve always wanted to try running along with my kayak with cleats on like the voyageurs did.
Ok I lied. Would much rather be paddling in. Lets hope that ice goes out asap!

Whet Newdell
04-23-2018, 13:39
Pm sent. This sunshine is a promising sign!

Got it!

Iguana
04-23-2018, 16:07
P.S. I might need a lift because the car's in the shop. I was planning to head up, Saturday afternoon until Monday or Tuesday. I can give you a Lift, if that fits you schedule.

Chard
04-24-2018, 13:44
I was planning to head up, Saturday afternoon until Monday or Tuesday. I can give you a Lift, if that fits you schedule.
Sounds great!

KeeWayKeno
04-26-2018, 20:23
Ok gang, things are looking promising. I see the pictures from Hamer Bay Marine webcam look pretty much like they did on Opeongo last year April 24th ... the ice disappeared the 25th!

Optimistic me extrapolates that to; even if it's there tomorrow, the ice could break up Saturday. We'll just have to see how realistic that is when we lay eyes on it.

76 highboy & I are heading up as advance scouts tomorrow morning, followed in the afternoon by Niagara. We'll be updating Whet Newdell what we find & he will share that with everybody.

Worst case as I see it ... We drop the trailer & just enjoy a weekend camping. The whole south half of the lake is Crown Land!

Also coming via email will be detailed directions on how to get there & Whet Newdell's cell #.

That's it, wish us luck tomorrow & see y'all Up North!

KWKhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180427/b48e2a12fddac1e91aa83b7bd91b0290.jpg

Whet Newdell
04-27-2018, 06:14
I sent directions to all victims errrr guests coming to yurtapolooza 2018.
Please check emails —- if you didn’t get it please holler at me.
I’m pulling out tomorrow (sat) at 8 a.m.

Bringing a cooler of steaks for random consumption.

Whetnewdell

Whet Newdell
04-27-2018, 11:53
My Friends -- The advance scouting mission done today by KeeWayKeno & 76 Highboy has revealed utterly impassable roads and lake.

There is still 8 inches snow in the bush, the lake is an impassable thick yet unsafe slab of badly crystallized crap, and the road is impassable to anything other than an ATV.
Even the 3-season municipal road was a treacherous bog in places from which sedans would not escape.

*~*~*~*~*~*~* HOWEVER *~*~*~*~*~*~

KeeWayKeno and 76 Highboy are now heading to Valens
(after checking out other areas along the 400 that are equally no-go).

Anyone keen to be hanging in a hammock over the next few evenings, can find these two there. All those on my email list should have received this message plus cell and email contacts for these two.

I will drop these guys firewood tonight, and then join them and anyone else Saturday night.
I will bring a LOT of firewood... like, a face cord.

*~*~*~*~*~ NEW PLANS *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*

I've cancelled the Monday & Tuesday vacation days, to save them for later in May.

I now plan to go up May 12/13 to inspect road and lake and do the set-up that was impossible on April 14/15.

I also plan to repeat this entire attempt over the May 18 to 22 (4 nights, Friday through Tuesday) weekend (Monday being the Victoria Day holiday).

Disappointed, but far from defeated....

Whet Newdell (Joel)
519 546 9666

Chard
04-27-2018, 13:11
That's too bad Newell; I just received that case of Absorbine Jr. I ordered in anticipation.

To add insult to injury, your repeat attempt on the Vic.Day weekend overlaps with our trout'n trip.

We'll commiserate around the fire Saturday night and drown our sorrows with a splash or two of Bushmills.

This has been a crazy spring.

BigGreenMoose
05-01-2018, 07:24
Great to meet everyone this weekend! You're a really warm and welcoming group. Not nearly as many serial killers and degenerates as the internet would have one believe!

I'm hooked and looking forward to the next hang.

On a side note, I've been skimming back through earlier trip reports and they are much more fun being able to put faces and personalities to names.

Cheers,
BGM

Bubba
05-01-2018, 08:22
Great to meet everyone this weekend! You're a really warm and welcoming group. Not nearly as many serial killers and degenerates as the internet would have one believe!

I'm hooked and looking forward to the next hang.

On a side note, I've been skimming back through earlier trip reports and they are much more fun being able to put faces and personalities to names.

Cheers,
BGM

Good to hear. I believe 76highboy’s wife used the term “internet weirdos” before he met us. Now we can’t get rid of him. Looking forward to meeting you at a future hang.

Niagara
05-01-2018, 11:04

..... give it time..... hahahaha
Glad you enjoyed it.

Niagara

LuvmyBonnet
05-01-2018, 11:55
Not nearly as many serial killers and degenerates as the internet would have one believe!
Well you haven't met the crazy Yank yet! :lol:

Chard
05-01-2018, 12:25
Not nearly as many serial killers and degenerates as the internet would have one believe!

Another one fooled!:shades: Just wait until we hit the backcountry and everyone brings their axes. :scared:

Seriously though it was good to meet you and those bbq dry-rub ribs were delicious!

BigGreenMoose
05-01-2018, 15:46
Well you haven't met the crazy Yank yet! [emoji38]Stories were shared... I've been warned. [emoji38]

Hoolio
05-01-2018, 15:52
Someone was looking for a degenerate!?! Hoping to be in for May long. I always convince myself to not deal with the crowds and traffic but even that beats out getting stuck in the city.

Whet Newdell
05-01-2018, 17:00
Apparently the lakes are all melted now.

Let’s go!

Those dry rub ribs were AMAZING

Thanks everyone for being excellent sports and to have been willing to help up north. Means a lot!!

I will go north 1 night April 12/13 to inspect. BigUglyBrother (you know him as KeeWayKeno which is Ojibwa for “Big Ugly Brother”) is coming with me. Well, he was, until I wrote this... If anyone else wants to come, hang one night, burn stuff, more than welcome.

Then..... April 18–22 I will try again! Drive the flatbed north and in, by which time, the roads should be sufficiently unfrozen and de-sogged. Again, anyone who like to move heavy stuff 200 meters at a time across a lake on a homemade barge, this is pretty much your calling.

Cooking stuff... keeping fire going... some bush exploring by lake or back woods (I have spare compass and map sets), well you can have at it. I don’t know what kind of bugs to expect, or when.... Mid-May would normally be black flies but they might be delayed this year. Might get really lucky.

It was fun to see you all. Cheers for now.
I would start a new yurt thread but I don’t know how. Chard?

A bientot

Whet Newdell

Whet Newdell
05-01-2018, 17:02
All dates above.... I meant May of course

BigGreenMoose
05-02-2018, 05:30
Shot in the dark here, but I fear I may have dropped my new Mora Garberg behind my car on Saturday. Anybody happen to stumble across it? I was parked on the site farthest from the bathroom.

Pretty sure I packed it Friday night, but on Saturday it wasnt in my pack when I went to grab it. I assumed I'd left at home, but it's not in my gear pile. Only thing I can think of is that it fell to the ground when I was setting up my hammock. [emoji22]

I'm gonna triple check my gear and car this morning and then call Valens to see if it made it to lost and found.

Like I said, shot in the dark!
Scott

Bubba
05-02-2018, 06:23
So it looks like the Spring hang is going to be on the long weekend. Only a couple of weeks away! My word that snuck up quick! Fingers crossed everything stays calm at home and I can go.
Are we thinking two nights on Tom Thompson for the weekenders since McIntosh was mentioned for the weeklongers? Is anyone actually going for the week leading up to the long weekend?

BGM - Hope you find your knife.

BigGreenMoose
05-02-2018, 18:37
Knife found!
When the plans changed to Valens, I swapped out my tiny chair for the big comfy one. I must have scooped up the knife with the legs for the tiny chair and shoved them all into the chair bag.
Phew!
Thanks for all the offers of help! I owe you beer at minimum.
BGM

Huckleberry Hanger
05-02-2018, 19:08
Well that is great news and saves me a trip to Valens tomorrow!

Kevin

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

76 highboy
05-03-2018, 06:41

I think someones wife referred to us as "sketchy" :scared:

And yes those were delicious ribs ! You can bring those anytime.

Whet newdell: Thanx for bringing in a " s@*&%load " of wood and those yummy garlic pickle marinated steaks.
Too bad the yurt hauling thing didnt go as planned but the weekend was a blast anyway. :)

ggreaves
05-04-2018, 09:37
So it looks like the Spring hang is going to be on the long weekend. Only a couple of weeks away! My word that snuck up quick! Fingers crossed everything stays calm at home and I can go.
Are we thinking two nights on Tom Thompson for the weekenders since McIntosh was mentioned for the weeklongers? Is anyone actually going for the week leading up to the long weekend?

BGM - Hope you find your knife.

if algonquin's still ice bound then, any alternative plans? maybe whet newdell's place? has ice out ever happened in june before? what planet are we on again?

KeeWayKeno
05-04-2018, 11:08
if algonquin's still ice bound then, any alternative plans? maybe whet newdell's place? has ice out ever happened in june before? what planet are we on again?We'll be up there May 12-13 setting up camp (pumping out the barrels to re-float the barge/dock) & back May 18-22 for the delayed Yurt Haul. Everyone welcome for all or any part of that. You could even come up the 12th & stay right through if you have a week to spare & just need a place to go. Confident conditions will be MUCH better & the access road will be driveable, even in a sedan (though it might still be a bit muddy in spots).

Just to reiterate, this is a rustic, water access camp ... envision a backcountry or Crown Land site & you get the picture.

Firewood is plentiful & the water is clean. There will be meat grilling!

Chard
05-04-2018, 12:57
Just an update: Algonquin's still icebound and it's been a slow thaw this year. It's almost certain to be open for the long weekend, but until we know, it doesn't make any sense to sweat too much.

Whet Newdell's place is certainly an option is the lakes aren't open.

That being said, I'll book something tomorrow depending on the availability of our long-weekend, "easy" access lake. Some possibilities are Tom Thomson, Burnt Island, Ralph Bice, Ragged or even a return to Parkside Bay. Any preferences? Other suggestions? Personally, I'd like to take it slow during the midweek trip so I can spend more time paddling around taking pictures.

KeeWayKeno
05-04-2018, 14:41
You guys might just make it! (Sorry to miss it.[emoji24]) https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180504/15d1b5e7d2d13d24bde259e490781d2d.jpg

Whet Newdell
05-05-2018, 06:50
Yes what KeeWayKeno said. Dates summary:
— 12/13 setup
— 18/22 yurt-schlepp-a-thon
....next two weekends after I build a floor....
— June 6-12 is ‘try to set up the Yurt for real.

Basically I go up non-stop.... jump in as you like!

Anyway for our place, stay all week in between, or beyond, as you like. Wood, water, trees, and likely several bottles of rum kicking around in semi-states of partial depletion need attention.

For the 18th+, I think I’ll bring a giant ham and slow roast it... plus other assorted random meats and beers and whisky...

Endless crown land to the West, south-west, and south. A stashed canoe on another lake shore 1.5 km south-west....

Yeehaw

Whet Newdell

76 highboy
05-05-2018, 13:41
Random meats,beer and whiskey! The hallmarks of an interesting time in the woods :laugh:

Im going to find a way to get in on this adventure some how. Might be time for an "e.l.o.a." day from work

BigGreenMoose
05-05-2018, 14:05
Random meats,beer and whiskey! The hallmarks of an interesting time in the woods [emoji23]

Im going to find a way to get in on this adventure some how. Might be time for an "e.l.o.a." day from workSomebody has to save that meat, beer, and whiskey from going to waste. Definitely qualifies as an emergency!

Chard
05-07-2018, 16:53
Hey guys,

For this spring's trip, I'm thinking Mon-Thurs in Algonquin doing a low-impact route, followed up with a jaunt over to Whet Newdell's for a bit of chill'n, yurt'n and just plain old fashioned hanging out.

After all, a wise fellow once said "time with my friend's is what's most important."

Whet Newdell
05-07-2018, 18:28
Wow! Chard-o-rama!!

I won’t get there until midday on Friday 18th, but I will have things set up (two rowboats and two canoes) on the near shore, with oars and paddles as of Sunday the 13th.

If you+ arrive Thursday before me, feel free to open anything, poke around, burn stuff (like wood) and please enjoy. You will find things to imbibe, so imbibe you should.

Be careful of some of the boards on my crappy homemade barge... some are starting to give way... I intend to replace the worst offenders this coming weekend but just in case I didn’t before you get there... You will be able to tell if I did as the contrast will be stark.

KeeWayStinky and I will do a full report on Sunday 13th.

Grateful indeed,

Whet Newdell

Hoolio
05-08-2018, 08:41
Hey Chard / Whet.
Still havent figured out our May 24 plans.
Where and what is involved in a yurt schlepping. lol.

KeeWayKeno
05-08-2018, 08:47
Hey Chard / Whet.
Where and what is involved in a yurt schlepping. lol.Hoolio, if you send me your email address (& cell in case of late changes) I'll send you details. We're keeping the directions off-Forum for privacy.

Iguana
05-08-2018, 09:08
Hey guys,

For this spring's trip, I'm thinking Mon-Thurs in Algonquin doing a low-impact route, followed up with a jaunt over to Whet Newdell's for a bit of chill'n, yurt'n and just plain old fashioned hanging out.

After all, a wise fellow once said "time with my friend's is what's most important."

I am in for all that. Just finished the gunwales on my canoe. Looking forward to seeing it in the water.

Any idea as to a route? or first night lake? I may have to make a late start on the Monday morning.

Iguana.

whet ~ imbibe we will. (I had to look that word up :huh: , this is yet another reason i love being part of this group!)

Chard
05-08-2018, 10:46
Hey Chard / Whet.
Where and what is involved in a yurt schlepping. lol.

I'm not 100% on the details, but in general Whet Newdell's property lies on a interior lake somewhere southeast of Massassuga Provincial Park. There's a fairly large load of materials for his yurt that need to be ferried a short way across the lake on his barge and the more hands, the better. I'm hoping for a healthy mix of sweat, fun, grilled meats and cold beer. My head's been filled with stories about beautiful forests and bare rock hills and I just have to see this for myself.

Hoolio, if you send me your email address (& cell in case of late changes) I'll send you details. We're keeping the directions off-Forum for privacy.
Hopefully I didn't provide any false info.

I am in for all that. Just finished the gunwales on my canoe. Looking forward to seeing it in the water. Any idea as to a route? or first night lake? I may have to make a late start on the Monday morning.
Iguana.
whet ~ imbibe we will. (I had to look that word up :huh: , this is yet another reason i love being part of this group!)

Sounds fine with me.
Lake - What about Mon>Rain, Tues>Moccasin, Wed> Misty, Thur Sawyer or Rain by way of Little Misty, Fri Out, drive to Kearney/Elmsdale, take the 518 to the 400 and then south to Newdell's (about a 2hr drive)?

Iguana
05-08-2018, 11:41
Sounds fine with me.
Lake - What about Mon>Rain, Tues>Moccasin, Wed> Misty, Thur Sawyer or Rain by way of Little Misty, Fri Out, drive to Kearney/Elmsdale, take the 518 to the 400 and then south to Newdell's (about a 2hr drive)?

That sounds like a plan to me.

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

Chard
05-08-2018, 18:19
Just booked Rain > Bandit > Misty > Sawyer.

Bubba
05-08-2018, 19:28
I really wish I could go with you. ☹️

Niagara
05-08-2018, 20:04
Saturday May 19th.... International / World Whiskey Day...... just sayin......
Niagara

Chard
05-08-2018, 20:08
Just curious... Is it only Iguana and I doing the epic dwaddle to Misty and back? Is anyone else planning on coming?

Saturday May 19th.... International / World Whiskey Day...... just sayin......
Sounds like it's time to pack away a wee nip of Laphroaig. Kilts optional!

https://www.activeoutdoorpursuits.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Loch-Shiel-Exped-August-2010191-600x200.jpg
https://www.activeoutdoorpursuits.com/bookings/expeditions/open-canoe-journeys/glenfinnan-loch-shiel/

76 highboy
05-09-2018, 09:39
I really wish I could go with you. ☹️

Nuff said

KeeWayKeno
05-09-2018, 09:52
Nuff saidDitto.

jeff-oh
05-09-2018, 11:34
Is there a time set for the French River outing? I am pulling my summer plans together and would love to get back North again. My experience is North of Wawa though.

Chard
05-10-2018, 13:18
Is there a time set for the French River outing? I am pulling my summer plans together and would love to get back North again. My experience is North of Wawa though.

Hiya Jeff-Oh,

The French River outing's set for some time in July/August. I believe August 6th is a civic holiday for us up here in Canada, so it's quite possible we shoot for that. Does anyone have a preference for when we do the French?

There's a lot of routes that can we can squeeze into a long weekend. I'd really like to get down to the Georgian Bay but I'm flexible. Another option could be to launch from Bayfield Inlet and get direct access to the Bay.

Hoolio
05-10-2018, 15:31
quick question re: valens which site do we usually use. Heather and i were thinking of camping tomorrow night.

Huckleberry Hanger
05-10-2018, 15:38
quick question re: valens which site do we usually use. Heather and i were thinking of camping tomorrow night.I think it is 134, 135. Possibly 133

KeeWayKeno
05-10-2018, 15:42
quick question re: valens which site do we usually use. Heather and i were thinking of camping tomorrow night.134 is the middle one. If we knew you were going, we'd have stashed all the spare firewood we left behind for you!

They don't take reservations until May 24 weekend though so you can just drive right to it & hopefully it's open.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180510/7dd0f0d9cda9a989dbbb4ec067056e16.jpg

KeeWayKeno
05-10-2018, 17:15
I believe August 6th is a civic holiday for us up here in Canada, so it's quite possible we shoot for that. Does anyone have a preference for when we do the French?

There's a lot of routes that can we can squeeze into a long weekend. I'd really like to get down to the Georgian Bay but I'm flexible.

Any time from July 28 to August 12 works for me. Never paddled the French so no input or preference as to route. Is it true hammock camping might be problematic around the mouth/ bay?

Chard
05-10-2018, 17:42
Any time from July 28 to August 12 works for me. Never paddled the French so no input or preference as to route. Is it true hammock camping might be problematic around the mouth/ bay?

I was planning on being ready to "go-to-ground" by throwing a Thermarest and a plastic groundsheet into my pack, but depending on our numbers, I'd be very surprised if we couldn't find a suitable spot to hang.

It's been almost 30 years since I've been in the area though.

BigGreenMoose
05-10-2018, 18:20
The new Unlostify maps are shipping, and there's a French River map in there. Ordered the full set this week and they arrived today.

KeeWayKeno
05-11-2018, 06:48
For planning purposes I've added the Yurt Raising hang to Chard's Google Sheets chart (see original post).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x8z9kKvyVQRZRctpWkWVzsYZTRaZ5OVewKAKFTzHt-E/edit?usp=drivesdk

keg
05-12-2018, 12:10
What's the deal with canoes for the 18th-21st? Should I rent or with there be extra capacity lying around?

Expecting to be available the morning of the 18th.

Bubba
05-12-2018, 15:40
What's the deal with canoes for the 18th-21st? Should I rent or with there be extra capacity lying around?

IIRC KWK offered a rowboat taxi to Luvmybonnet because of his back. There will be water transport of some kind so I don’t think you need to rent a canoe. I’m thinking of bringing mine just to paddle around.

Bubba
05-12-2018, 16:59
Is there cel service at the yurt site?

Chard
05-12-2018, 19:16

Is there cel service at the yurt site?

Iguana and I should be bringing in two canoes midday on the 18th.
Rogers cell coverage map (https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/network-coverage) shows LTE coverage over the entire area.

Whet Newdell
05-13-2018, 20:13
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180514/5a95bebbf61dc4277a42229a0fbebca7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180514/514a43634c0513c7922208a189a73070.jpg

Greetings!

The yurt was successfully transported by trailer to a spot across the lake from our land. The trailer is on the “lake arrival” shore. We fixed the barge up and sat on it here sitting on my shore., with the arrival shore there across the lake in the background—You can see the blue tarp on the yurt trailer across the lake there in the picture. That is the barging distance at this particular point where this long lake narrows in the middle.

Cell / data service is very good if you have a decent phone. The highway is only 2 km East.

On the arrival shore is owned by Jack. He is letting folks stack their cars in his driveway. We may gave to do some jockeying if cars so folks can leave earlier than others but as you can see, it is very close. Jack is on the left in the picture above. Keewaykeno on the right.

My green fibreglass canoe with two paddles is there on Jack’s shore for use.
Three rowboats (two with oars and oarlocks) are there also.
I have a 4th canoe on yet another shore that will be brought into service.
In short, there’s lots of craft to get across and back and forth for those who arrive without.

More specific directions forthcoming. If you are considering, please email to me at [email protected] so I can loop you in on that communication this week.

Please note, you don’t have to be able to move stuff to join us — anyone willing to tend fire and help with general camp morale, cook a few group burger batches... that is very helpful indeed!

Oh! I expect black flies to be in full force. Bug jackets and repellent is critical. I have a 10x12 meshed in gazebo for refuge, plus my ‘small cook shed’ is also meshed.... so two places to eat in peace at least.

Whet Newdell

Chard
05-13-2018, 21:34
Nice pics. Looking forward to getting up to the spot and lending a hand.

Are we paddling the barge or have you guys secured a tow rope?

Niagara
05-14-2018, 08:21
so we just wader-up and walk it across.... ???? pole-it? or maybe rig up canoes dog-sled style and Whet newdell will 'mush' us across?
looking forward to it... i think.
Niagara

Bubba
05-14-2018, 08:30
...maybe rig up canoes dog-sled style and Whet newdell will 'mush' us across?l
looking forward to it... i think.
Niagara

:lol:

KeeWayKeno
05-14-2018, 08:34
We've paddled (& even sailed) that barge all over the lake, we're only going a few hundred feet so that is most likely the easiest option. If Whet has a chance to secure enough rope, we might try that too.

BLACK FLIES were just starting to buzz us, only one bite. They get going a bit earlier than Algonquin. By next weekend they'll be hungry. Be prepared for that.

https://youtu.be/qjLBXb1kgMo

Hoolio
05-14-2018, 09:32
So Eureka Bug out Zone might be handy to bring along. I have booked the Friday off. Heather has not yet. I still haven't totally convinced her but she is a trooper and loves camping so it is very likely we show up some point Friday. Whenever the long weekend traffic gods allow.

Niagara
05-14-2018, 10:36
ya but have you guys ever tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBxDDsWoTPg

keg
05-14-2018, 17:38

BLACK FLIES were just starting to buzz us, only one bite. They get going a bit earlier than Algonquin. By next weekend they'll be hungry. Be prepared for that.

https://youtu.be/qjLBXb1kgMo
You're making this trip sound so good. Anyone up for the weekend in Algonquin?( And I'm only half joking).

keg
05-15-2018, 16:18
Sorry folks but I've booked 3 nights on North Tea. It's definitely not the company, just felt I needed to do a bit more of a paddle.

Hopefully I'll see everyone on the French or in the fall.

Cruiser51
05-16-2018, 07:05
Just missed Chard, we are going into Rain today, heading to Jubilee

Brian

KeeWayKeno
05-16-2018, 14:32
Yup, they're out alright.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180516/c45841d73ab7815022d741beadb5e1bd.jpg

Niagara
05-16-2018, 15:45

load team ready for action sir....

Whet Newdell
05-17-2018, 06:19
https://brokelyn.com/app/uploads/2012/08/Screen-shot-2012-08-14-at-9.44.07-AM.png

jeff-oh
05-17-2018, 07:36
Joe Robinet, "They Swarmmn'"
https://youtu.be/f389hIxZAOc

BigGreenMoose
05-17-2018, 10:54
Relaxing under a different kind of yurt this week. Paddling is good, and no sign of black flies yet.
Hope you guys have fun! Looking forward to the build trip.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180517/02a63cca51caffc845e2eb7239ac46cf.jpg

Niagara
05-17-2018, 12:07
you and the missus have fun BGM!!! looks nice
Niagara

Whet Newdell
05-17-2018, 16:36
Yurty yurt yurtathon

I just emailed everybody directions and contacts.... if you didn’t get it and you think you should have, please yell at me here or at [email protected]

cheers y’all !

Hoolio
05-19-2018, 07:42
Bringing big green again if we need more dry space... Or a sail! See you before noon. Fingers crossed.

Whet Newdell
05-19-2018, 22:10
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180520/43532f555d0a3f0c158f1991a471ddab.jpg

Whet Newdell
05-19-2018, 22:10
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180520/9611b83d334a704eaad2637f8163ff20.jpg

Whet Newdell
05-19-2018, 22:11
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180520/a6a6756fee51596ff5478debbbc94c75.jpg

Whet Newdell
05-21-2018, 02:07
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180521/4337e1012a5da4e9c9ff78a5a92709e3.jpg

Mission Yurt-Barge 2018

Whet Newdell
05-21-2018, 02:08
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180521/b7abf17af62e8788a23e4edd78a8a13f.jpg

Niagara
05-21-2018, 16:57
Looking good!!
great hang despite the rain that didn't know it was supposed to stop at 1PM. Awesome food and better company - Who wants Lasagna!!!????lol
Great start to the summer season.
Niagara

Chard
05-21-2018, 18:50
Hey all,

Iguana and I had a great week canoeing in Algonquin followed by a weekend lending a hand to one of our own. Great weather, no bugs and a relaxing schedule was just what the doctor ordered. Meeting Brantwing, Cruiser51 and EarlyRiser-Rand and getting them to share our camp was awesome. Gave us a chance to catch up on old times and collectively complain about our various maladies. Great being old!

Out of the park and over to Parry Sound on Friday, Iguana and I found our way to Whet Newdell's launch point. Gradually our group grew and over the weekend we managed to move a 3000 lbs trailer of materials in four barge trips in about four or five hours. Impressive. Our chain gang moving beams down to the barge was nothing less than industrial! It was so much fun that we moved an extra 28 sheets of plywood Sunday morning before heading home.

A special thanks to everyone who helped out Whet Newdell and an extra special thanks to Whet Noodle and KeeWayKeno for looking after us so well all weekend long. They definitely knows how to keep they chain gang well fed (burgers, dogs and lasagna), well watered (re: beer & spirits) and happy!

Whet Newdell
05-21-2018, 20:23
https://youtu.be/he7ux4dJqnM

Whet Newdell
05-22-2018, 16:27
Whet Newdell here — just home briefly from our Yurtapolooza (Part 1) adventure together.

I cannot in any adequate way express my sheer awe and gratitude for the cheerful selflessness of the great folks who came out to a situation unknown, and owned it!!

KeeWayKeno and me were basically saved from frantic exhaustion by the many hands that helped us get some very unwieldy and awkward bits across the lake on a wobbly home-made barge. We worked... we ate... we drank... we sat under tarps by the fire... it was fantastic!

The next two weekends, I’ll get that subfloor done, and then before we know it, it will be June 6 and we will actually start putting those yurt parts together like a giant IKEA jigsaw puzzle.

You folks are all a pretty cool bunch of fascinating people, and as they say in the UK, “top shelf” all the way.

Thank you!

Whet Newdell
05-22-2018, 16:44

Whet Newdell
05-22-2018, 16:46

Whet Newdell
05-22-2018, 16:54
Things left at Yurtapolooza:
* red sack of food saved for Bubba
* Chard’s special cord rope — Giblets has it
* platypus of Kahluha — we saved you some — whose it it?
* mesh bug net hat thingy — KeeWayKeno has it for you....
* various booze — some was actually saved for next time
* the gloves shown below belong to....?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180522/3f5793c77ab5d321cddd6cc9305b7200.jpg

Niagara
05-22-2018, 18:47
Things left at Yurtapolooza:
* red sack of food saved for Bubba
* Chard’s special cord rope — Giblets has it
* platypus of Kahluha — we saved you some — whose it it? was it in a ziplock bag? kahlua and vodka... mmmm breakfast black russians I did not drink - Niagara
* mesh bug net hat thingy — KeeWayKeno has it for you.... me thinks mine again- Niagara
* various booze — some was actually saved for next time (I left a donation of Vanilla crown) Niagara
* the gloves shown below belong to....?...ummm... me again... for next time - Niagara
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180522/3f5793c77ab5d321cddd6cc9305b7200.jpg

BigGreenMoose
05-22-2018, 18:53
Careful Whet Newdell, I think Niagara's lining up a squatters rights claim on your property. If someone tries to serve you with papers in the next few weeks, run!

Chard
05-22-2018, 21:29
Sunset over Bandit.

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/img_5041-hdr.jpg

Niagara
05-23-2018, 05:08
Great shot Chard - wow.
Niagara

Niagara
05-23-2018, 05:18
Careful Whet Newdell, I think Niagara's lining up a squatters rights claim on your property. If someone tries to serve you with papers in the next few weeks, run!

shhhhh.....lol

Chard
05-23-2018, 11:50
Great shot Chard - wow.
Niagara

Thanks. Unfortunately the weather was so dang beautiful that we didn't really get any epic sunsets. Most nights whatever pale colour there was hung low in the clouds behind us.

The series I took on top of the rock behind Whet Newdell's place have blackfly specks all over the lens. Grrr. I'm trying to salvage something from them.

LuvmyBonnet
05-23-2018, 14:06
Keep the pictures coming! I will live vicariously through your experiences. Healing up but slower than I'd like but healing non the less. I'm beyond itchin to get out in the piney woods. Can't wait to see Joel's place. :boggle:
Hopefully I will continue healing up and rehab enough to do the week long trip in the fall. I am even eyeing up an ultra light canoe so I can join in on those Portage trips. I may actually elevate above marshmallow status. :laugh:

Whet Newdell
05-23-2018, 19:33
Keep the pictures coming! I will live vicariously through your experiences. Healing up but slower than I'd like but healing non the less. I'm beyond itchin to get out in the piney woods. Can't wait to see Joel's place. :boggle:
Hopefully I will continue healing up and rehab enough to do the week long trip in the fall. I am even eyeing up an ultra light canoe so I can join in on those Portage trips. I may actually elevate above marshmallow status. :laugh:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180524/0ad9e6524872fa7a8dd399432a467f1d.jpg

Just for you. See you soon! Heal up good eh.

ggreaves
05-27-2018, 15:11
are we still thinking civic weekend for the french? I think my wife and I are going to make a longer trip of it - adding a few more days. Are you guys thinking just the weekend?

Chard
05-28-2018, 21:30
are we still thinking civic weekend for the french? I think my wife and I are going to make a longer trip of it - adding a few more days. Are you guys thinking just the weekend?

Depending on work :shades:, I might be interested in spending a little more time on the Bay. The challenge is finding a route/location that would be good for both weekenders and those staying longer. If we head out from Hartley Bay Marina, then we have pretty much the entire coast open to explore.

I have no idea if there'll be enough suitable trees for a large group, but I'll likely be bringing a small solo tent and Thermarest just in case. What the heck, I don't think we'll have much portaging!

BigGreenMoose
05-28-2018, 22:04
Hey Whet Newdell,
Just wondering if you need any of us joining your "Olde Tyme Mennonite Yurt Raising Shindig" to bring any a) tools that we might need to help out (hammers, cordless drivers/saws, etc) or b) tools you need/want that you don't have already on site?
Can't imagine that the yurt kit requires a lot of power tools, but can't hurt to ask!

Looking forward to the weekend!
BGM

Whet Newdell
05-29-2018, 09:48
Hey Whet Newdell,
Just wondering if you need any of us joining your "Olde Tyme Mennonite Yurt Raising Shindig" to bring any a) tools that we might need to help out (hammers, cordless drivers/saws, etc) or b) tools you need/want that you don't have already on site?
Can't imagine that the yurt kit requires a lot of power tools, but can't hurt to ask!

Looking forward to the weekend!
BGM

Can you bring some 10 foot tall scaffolding and a couple of saw horses?

Ok seriously.... I think I have all that we need (once I get the scaffolding)

Actually.... if you or anyone have hard hats, that would be handy. I’m getting some extra share for the scary parts of lifting heavy crap way up high!! They are very highly recommended eh.

Whet Newdell
05-29-2018, 09:49
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180529/e3ce315539792fb4d408339a46f568f2.jpg

Big 32 foot diameter floor (subfloor) is done!

Hoolio
05-29-2018, 10:03
Huzzah! great work on the sub floor. Heather will be happy to hear you are using hard hats. Don't forget the "come along".

Niagara
05-29-2018, 11:37
I ordered a skyhook and a rock stretcher..... hope it ships soon.
Niagara

ggreaves
05-29-2018, 15:02
do you need a come along? I have a Jockey Tirfor I can bring - works better than a come along...

http://www.steelwirerope.com/LiftingEquipment/Hoists/tirfor-jockey.html#.Ww2xiqQvyUk

Whet Newdell
05-29-2018, 19:01
I ordered a skyhook and a rock stretcher..... hope it ships soon.
Niagara

Skyhook! I would like one of those for airplane trips, because, well, you never know.

Chard
05-30-2018, 09:46
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180529/e3ce315539792fb4d408339a46f568f2.jpg

Big 32 foot diameter floor (subfloor) is done!

Hey Whet Newdell/KeeWayKeno,

Quick question; are you on schedule to start assembly on Wednesday the 6th? I was wondering because I won't be able to make it out before Saturday the 9th. If the yurt's finished then I just might want to preserve some "spouse points" and tackle Appendix 48 Subsection 2b of the "Honey-Do" list, paying forward for some other weekend of piney galavanting.

Nice deck. You guys got that down fast!

Whet Newdell
05-30-2018, 12:06
Hey Whet Newdell/KeeWayKeno,

Quick question; are you on schedule to start assembly on Wednesday the 6th? I was wondering because I won't be able to make it out before Saturday the 9th. If the yurt's finished then I just might want to preserve some "spouse points" and tackle Appendix 48 Subsection 2b of the "Honey-Do" list, paying forward for some other weekend of piney galavanting.

Nice deck. You guys got that down fast!

Looking good for beginning assembly as early as the 7th... things seem to culminate in one particular step that involves scaffolding and many hands to hold stuff in place as the first set of rafters are inserted into the giant dome ring high off the centre. We might wait until we have at least 4-5 people for that, which might not be until Saturday the 9th. That said, if we have the hands and make enough progress on the 7th or 8th, we will tackle it. No pressure my friend and certainly the expression that holds eternal merit is “happy wife, happy life” or to be more inclusive.... “happy spouse, happy house”

Whet Newdell
05-30-2018, 17:25
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180530/a8dce28df52f6f63b46eaae2897124dc.jpg

I went to a used appliance place looking for fire pit cooking stuff.

I got this really grate deal.

KeeWayKeno
05-30-2018, 17:56
That sounds like it would come in handy ggreaves!
do you need a come along? I have a Jockey Tirfor I can bring - works better than a come along...

http://www.steelwirerope.com/LiftingEquipment/Hoists/tirfor-jockey.html#.Ww2xiqQvyUk

BigGreenMoose
05-30-2018, 18:01
Unless something changes in the next week, I'll be heading up on the 8th in the afternoon (400 traffic gods be kind!), and staying until Sunday afternoon.

Chard
05-30-2018, 19:29
French River Trip Planning Resources

Map 041I02 (http://www.jeffstopos.com/maps/041I02)
Map 041H15 (http://www.jeffstopos.com/maps/041H15)
Map 041H14 (http://www.jeffstopos.com/maps/041H14)

Challenge: The Bay and back in a long weekend. Options for extended trips a definite plus.

I've got my own thoughts, but let's hear some ideas...

Winning route get's 3 1/2 free beers!

KeeWayKeno
05-30-2018, 19:37
French River Trip Planning Resources

Map 041I02 (http://www.jeffstopos.com/maps/041I02)
Map 041H15 (http://www.jeffstopos.com/maps/041H15)
Map 041H14 (http://www.jeffstopos.com/maps/041H14)

Challenge: The Bay and back in a long weekend. Options for extended trips a definite plus.

I've got my own thoughts, but let's hear some ideas...

Winning route get's 3 1/2 free beers!From what put-in were you thinking?

Chard
05-30-2018, 19:44
From what put-in were you thinking?

Hartley Bay Marina is the first name that springs to mind, but that just cost you a sip of beer.

Whet Newdell
05-31-2018, 07:57
That sounds like it would come in handy ggreaves!

A big yes to that please!

KeeWayKeno
05-31-2018, 09:37
The new Unlostify (Jeff McMurtrie) map of the French is pretty good, need to grab a print copy. Digital download is free.
https://www.unlostify.com/ https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180531/5e742d25a4ca965731017e84f4561d9f.jpg

ggreaves
05-31-2018, 10:05
A big yes to that please!

ok, the missus and I will be there as early as we can on saturday morning.

LuvmyBonnet
05-31-2018, 17:31
Jamie, PM me your address and I'll send you French for the borrowing. I also got Kawartha and Killarney.
I'll let you know when I think I'll be paddling.

KeeWayKeno
06-03-2018, 07:10
Hartley Bay Marina is the first name that springs to mind, but that just cost you a sip of beer.I've read of this popular "Figure Eight Loop", looks like many opportunities to venture east or west along the Bay once you get out there.

Long weekend though ... ? No idea how busy this route may be but I suspect very.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180603/d718f070b9c2304ce424c8806e6be026.jpg

KeeWayKeno
06-04-2018, 19:21
YURT RAISING IS ALMOST UPON US!

Whet Newdell & I are heading up Wednesday, planning to stay through Tuesday. If you're planning to attend BUT DIDN'T GET TODAY'S UPDATED DIRECTIONS by email from Newdell, let me know.

Important change in parking!

Bubba
06-04-2018, 22:41
Wish I could go. Have fun to all who are going to lend a hand.

ggreaves
06-05-2018, 15:55
French river stuff...

1. Looking to book online, there's no way to book a campsite apparently. There's a different site you can go to for a backcountry permit but it doesn't guarantee a campsite. This is only available 2 weeks before departing. Anybody know if they sell more permits than campsites?
2. If you can't find a marked campsite available - can you just camp anyplace you want?

Only reason I'm asking is that it's likely to be a very busy weekend on the river.

76 highboy
06-06-2018, 17:56
Wish I could go. Have fun to all who are going to lend a hand.

Hope the bugs arent bad. Maybe the next work weekend.:)

Whet Newdell
06-08-2018, 19:57
Hope the bugs arent bad. Maybe the next work weekend.:)

Does that mean we have to eat this garlic pickle, ginormous ham , & lasagna without you?

Whet Newdell
06-08-2018, 22:35
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180609/29e3165ec59bbaa1a027b56535bdecbc.jpg

LuvmyBonnet
06-09-2018, 09:56
Oh Wow! That looks so amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product, especially in person! :cool:

Whet Newdell
06-09-2018, 23:32
Oh Wow! That looks so amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product, especially in person! :cool:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180610/307bd80c88a69eb4bb22d46184f6d992.jpg

Bubba
06-10-2018, 12:38
Wow, that’s higher than I thought it would be. Looking good! Hope to see the finished product in person.

76 highboy
06-10-2018, 19:58
I got my garlic pickle fix yesterday, but ham and lasagna? mmm

Tell me it wasnt a slow roasted, over the fire ham.
BTW That yurt structure looks awesome!

Chard
06-10-2018, 20:29
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/img_5265.jpg (https://photos.app.goo.gl/N9YXW1ekZP52TzpL7)

Whet Newdell's June 2018 Yurt-A-Palooza (https://photos.app.goo.gl/N9YXW1ekZP52TzpL7) Photo Album

Whet Newdell
06-10-2018, 23:01
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180611/6c88f2da3b9be429ddaaae67e61d9b6d.jpg

The roof and walls are on now. Tomorrow... finessing the windows and doors to finish off. Whew! Looking forward to sharing.

underserviced
06-11-2018, 12:17
It's been an amazing ride through your pictures and I have yet to make it up there! Thanks for sharing Whet Newdell.

76 highboy
06-12-2018, 18:59
That yurt is amazing! :cool:
Wish I could of been a part of it.

Chard
06-14-2018, 10:02
Starting a separate thread for the French River Hang

Canada->Ontario->EGL->2018 Canoeing Season > French River Hang Aug 3-6 2018 (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/147577-Canada-gt-Ontario-gt-EGL-gt-2018-Canoeing-Season-gt-French-River-Hang-Aug-3-6-2018?p=1895277#post1895277)

ConnieB
06-14-2018, 14:17
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/img_5265.jpg (https://photos.app.goo.gl/N9YXW1ekZP52TzpL7)

Whet Newdell's June 2018 Yurt-A-Palooza (https://photos.app.goo.gl/N9YXW1ekZP52TzpL7) Photo Album

I can probably fit my house in it and then some. Wow, that's not the size of a yurt I had in mind.

Chard
08-14-2018, 12:00
Chicamoula anyone?
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/algonws2009_039b.jpg

Autumn Trout'n Leaves Trip

Late September/Early October: Algonquin Weeklonger's/Marshmallow rendezvous
When: Sept 24-30, 2018. Hopefully we'll have some fall colour
Where: Weeklongers - Midweek - Canoe L. to McIntosh, Marshmallows - Weekend Canoe to Tom Thomson
Notes: Long paddle into Tom Thomson followed by 2.3 km portage to McIntosh. I've never seen a fish caught on Tom Thomson.
Opportunities: Rationalize gear (eg. stoves, tarps, axes and saws)
Meal Ideas: Group soups or not? Food caches/resupply for Weeklongers

New thread for this hang can be found here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/148870-Canada-gt-Ontario-gt-EGL-gt-2018-Canoeing-Season-gt-Autumn-Trout-n-Leaves-Hang-Sept-24-30-2018?p=1911322#post1911322).

KeeWayKeno
08-27-2018, 08:01
Heads up! Wintertrekker will be among the speakers.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180827/8a422f709c452b59c3aa2e469c24457f.jpg

ggreaves
08-27-2018, 11:29
it's weird. Glen is "wintertrekker", but I'm pretty sure he doesn't have anything to do with wintertrekking.com

KeeWayKeno
08-31-2018, 10:27
They sell out QUICKLY!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180831/0b60cc372c8bca2d60f7f697d0dcf953.jpg

KeeWayKeno
09-02-2018, 09:51
Tickets on sale now, they'll be gone in a day or two. Great event & only $16.68.

After almost missing out last year (thanks ggreaves for bailing me out) got mine early.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180902/f60202b0590054bc49996ea5dbe9f133.jpg

ggreaves
09-04-2018, 09:00
I got mine. Door prizes were amazing last year (not that I won anything).

Chard
09-04-2018, 09:40
I got mine.

Ditto!

BigGreenMoose
09-04-2018, 12:37
Ditto!I hemmed and hawed too long last year and missed out. Got one this time!

Huckleberry Hanger
09-04-2018, 13:04
Me too!

76 highboy
09-04-2018, 22:25
Got mine!
Thinkin of spending the night at valens after the show. :)

Chard
09-04-2018, 22:35
Got mine!
Thinkin of spending the night at valens after the show. :)

Same thought crossed my mind. A late grill before bed followed by an early bug out the next morning.

Niagara
09-05-2018, 05:02
Mrs Niagara and I are in for symposium

Iguana
09-05-2018, 17:08
I got mine. Door prizes were amazing last year (not that I won anything).

I was thinking of bringing my entire family and extended family just to increase my odds at the door prizes.

I almost won that toboggan, I swear it was an 8 not a 3.

May also spend the night a Valens.

Heading to Pen lake myself tomorrow for the weekend.

Whet Newdell
09-05-2018, 17:49
Valens! I’ll bring a ton of firewood.

I finished both door trims... whatcha think?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180905/c920beaec1f22339a1a31454ce473291.jpg

Chard
09-05-2018, 18:16
I was thinking of bringing my entire family and extended family just to increase my odds at the door prizes.

I almost won that toboggan, I swear it was an 8 not a 3.

May also spend the night a Valens.

Heading to Pen lake myself tomorrow for the weekend.

Nice.

Pen eh? Are you aiming for the northern island, the mid-lake eastern beach site or somewhere new?

Look'n good! I particularly like the ghost selfie!

Iguana
09-05-2018, 19:55
Nice.

Pen eh? Are you aiming for the northern island, the mid-lake eastern beach site or somewhere new?

Look'n good! I particularly like the ghost selfie!
Gonna try for the beach site south of the of the Portage into Night L. Wanna join?

That trim looks just as I pictured it should, nice Job!

KeeWayKeno
09-05-2018, 20:43

Looks great Whet! Nice job.

Bubba
09-05-2018, 23:04

There's a ghost in your yurt.:scared:

KeeWayKeno
10-16-2018, 20:30
Next year!
https://www.hartleybaymarina.com/articles/72-travelling-souls-of-the-old-voyageurs-channel

Chard
10-16-2018, 21:00
Next year!
https://www.hartleybaymarina.com/articles/72-travelling-souls-of-the-old-voyageurs-channel

Indeed!

Whet Newdell
10-17-2018, 07:32
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181017/fcd11a633260f5da866a9bb1aba151c8.jpg

Flooring is finally done.

76 highboy
10-17-2018, 09:14

Good. Cause we're all coming over this weekend!:laugh:

Chard
10-17-2018, 11:39

Looks really good except for that corpse cluttering up the floor like that. Fortunately there's lots of space to bury it out back!

So when's the deep winter hang/housewarming/wood stove jamboree planned for? At least we won't need to barge over! Incidentally, how's the ice-fishing?

ggreaves
10-17-2018, 12:59

where's the shitter?

Niagara
10-17-2018, 13:30

... those better be in your indoor shoes with non-marking soles Mister......:glare::glare:
Niagara

Whet Newdell
10-17-2018, 16:35
... those better be in your indoor shoes with non-marking soles Mister......:glare::glare:
Niagara

They’ve never left a single mark on my feet. All good!

Whet Newdell
10-17-2018, 16:35
where's the shitter?

In my pants?

Whet Newdell
10-17-2018, 16:45
Looks really good except for that corpse cluttering up the floor like that. Fortunately there's lots of space to bury it out back!

So when's the deep winter hang/housewarming/wood stove jamboree planned for? At least we won't need to barge over! Incidentally, how's the ice-fishing?

That corpse has been resurrected.
But will never ever traverse the ice... too scary for baby Joel.

Next step is installing wood stove area and pipes.... won’t get that done before snow... two kerosene heaters will do a poor imitation until then.

I plan to snowshoe in.... cross country... but have to follow an active snowmobiled trail (boo) for 2km to get to overland forest entry point, then it is another 1.5 km through the bush. However you choose to get there.... a winter hang is possible! I will stock up on kerosene. Oh and I bring in a C.O. alarm too.

Never tried ice fishing — there is only bass in the lake.... but I now do have a manual ice auger there to get water out.

Whet Newdell
10-17-2018, 16:45
Good. Cause we're all coming over this weekend!:laugh:

Bring a chainsaw!

GreatBigDave
10-17-2018, 19:11
You guys are awesome. I wish I was still in Minnesota.

KeeWayKeno
10-19-2018, 18:23
You guys are awesome. I wish I was still in Minnesota.Jersey ain't that far, c'mon up!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

GreatBigDave
10-19-2018, 20:41
Jersey ain't that far, c'mon up!...That won't happen soon, but, I'll take it as an open invitation.
Thanks!