PDA

View Full Version : Simply Light Trail Lair Winter Top Cover

Papatechie
02-27-2018, 13:44
Folks, I worked collaboratively earlier in Feb with Jared, from Simply Light Designs, and ShortRound Gear Reviews (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/member.php/58579-ShortRound) at the same time for a new SLD Trail Lair wide with Top Cover before Jared released them as prototypes for sale on SLD site.

My version was a little different in that I special ordered 2.2 Hex 70 wide dark olive from RSBTR for the hammock body for the firmer feel and top cover is 1.1 Coyote Brown ripstop nylon. So I wanted to share this information with you to help you in your journey and all I can say is that Jared does excellent work in my opinion. He has attention to detail, excellent customer service and is very fast with his turn arounds.

Check his site out here: http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/22_55/products_id/624

I requested that mitten hooks, toggles and shock cord be added to allow pull back venting similar in how tarp doors work. The top cover sits over the bug net and Jared sewed on an extra zipper onto the net body existing zipper allowing the top cover to come on or off as needed. Adding the mitten hooks, shock cord and toggles allows for interesting configurations such as unzipping one side of the top cover and placing it under the other zipped top cover side which creates a Top cover "Lean To" wind blocker on one side of the hammock. The toggles and mitten hooks also allow the cover to vent back without flapping around in the breeze. The innovative zipper design allows a user to remain in hammock and unzip to adjust the underquilt.

This 70 wide hammock is huge and comfy! Lots of room!

plus the whole thing fit in my mailbox!!

michigandave
02-27-2018, 13:59
Nice looking setup! Jared always does a great job and I've worked with him a some projects over the years.

You might also want to repost this to the "review" section so it doesn't get buried in this general hammock thread.

Wilderness Seeker
02-27-2018, 14:14
I sent Jared my trail lair last week to have the top cover mod added. I am using 1.6 he on fabric. It should be ready soon.

Papatechie
02-27-2018, 14:16
Nice looking setup! Jared always does a great job and I've worked with him a some projects over the years.

You might also want to repost this to the "review" section so it doesn't get buried in this general hammock thread.

So should I delete this if so how? Thanks!

Papatechie
02-27-2018, 14:17
I sent Jared my trail lair last week to have the top cover mod added. I am using 1.6 he on fabric. It should be ready soon.

Nice! You can really feel the difference with it on or off the hammock that's for sure.