PDA

View Full Version : Back discomfort-too small of hammock??

Car Camper
03-04-2018, 19:33
I have a hobo hammock that is my main hammock and 10ft long by 6'6" wide. I am familiar with the proper way to lay I think and have a ridge line that I'm trying to get perfect. I usually sleep for about 3 hours wake up, shift, wake up in another 3 repeat.
I'm 6'3" tall and slender and thinking maybe I'm to tall for this hammock. I tried looking it up and heard if your knees are sore it's too small. My knees aren't sore so much but my back is uncomfortable making me shift a bit.
So far I only slept perfect once and that was before I got the ridge line. (I only used the ridge line once overnight and maybe 5 hours laying to try to find the perfect length.)
Any way to figure out what is making my back sore while sleeping? I usually sleep on my back in my bed just like my hammock so that isn't it.
Thanks!
P.S. I know it's not Hobo hammocks fault. I just list it so you know the size. I like what the company does. The manufacturing quality of the hobo hammock is also good.

Tikker
03-04-2018, 19:45
lots of folks will say that if you're over 5'8 you need to look at an 11 footer

everything is so personal though. when you say your back is sore, like lower back? shoulders?

Car Camper
03-04-2018, 19:47
lots of folks will say that if you're over 5'8 you need to look at an 11 footer

everything is so personal though. when you say your back is sore, like lower back? shoulders?

It's lower back. OK thanks I was thinking that.

Monkeyboy42
03-04-2018, 20:35
Length could definitely be a factor. The fabric can be an issue also. If you’re slender you may prefer a lighter and stretchier nylon, which could allow you back to be more fully supported. Im still on the heavier side, and prefer a less stretchy hammock.

Car Camper
03-04-2018, 21:03
Length could definitely be a factor. The fabric can be an issue also. If you’re slender you may prefer a lighter and stretchier nylon, which could allow you back to be more fully supported. Im still on the heavier side, and prefer a less stretchy hammock.

OK yeah I might just go and buy a bigger hammock to see. That's an interesting point about the material. I never thought much about it. I looked it up to make sure I say it right the material is parachute nylon. So them is the nylon considered more of a light stretchy fabric? I'm thinking so...

Monkeyboy42
03-05-2018, 08:40
OK yeah I might just go and buy a bigger hammock to see. That's an interesting point about the material. I never thought much about it. I looked it up to make sure I say it right the material is parachute nylon. So them is the nylon considered more of a light stretchy fabric? I'm thinking so...

I can’t answer for certain. This is where side by side testing comes in. According to Hansen on the ultimate hang, the so called parachute nylon isn’t actual parachute nylon, but is some sort of 2-3 ounce nylon taffeta. He does say it has moderate stretch, but exact fabrics vary by manufacturer.

I would reccomend Dutch’s or ripstopbytheroll’s fabrics personally. I have hammocks in both 1.6 Hexon and 1.6 HyperD. The HyperD is noticeably stretchier. I prefer my Hexon. Im 5’11 and 225 right now. I’m dropping weight though, so I’ll be interested to see if I prefer the stretchier HyperD when I’m smaller.

If you’re over 180 I’d consider either of the above. If you’re under 180 you might try the 1.0 ounce fabrics. They’re very stretchy.

The best thing you could do, if you don’t want to buy 6 hammocks for testing, is find a group hang near you. People love to show off their hammocks, and will let you try them out. They’re also very knowledgeable about vendors and fabric choices.

Dutch sells simple gathered end hammocks in all of his fabrics that are very price competitive with the cheaper mass marker hammocks. I’d reccomend them any day over eno, etc... if you want a hammock made in the RSBTR fabrics many of the cottage vendors manufacture and sell them.

Car Camper
03-05-2018, 10:53
I can’t answer for certain. This is where side by side testing comes in. According to Hansen on the ultimate hang, the so called parachute nylon isn’t actual parachute nylon, but is some sort of 2-3 ounce nylon taffeta. He does say it has moderate stretch, but exact fabrics vary by manufacturer.

I would reccomend Dutch’s or ripstopbytheroll’s fabrics personally. I have hammocks in both 1.6 Hexon and 1.6 HyperD. The HyperD is noticeably stretchier. I prefer my Hexon. Im 5’11 and 225 right now. I’m dropping weight though, so I’ll be interested to see if I prefer the stretchier HyperD when I’m smaller.

If you’re over 180 I’d consider either of the above. If you’re under 180 you might try the 1.0 ounce fabrics. They’re very stretchy.

The best thing you could do, if you don’t want to buy 6 hammocks for testing, is find a group hang near you. People love to show off their hammocks, and will let you try them out. They’re also very knowledgeable about vendors and fabric choices.

Dutch sells simple gathered end hammocks in all of his fabrics that are very price competitive with the cheaper mass marker hammocks. I’d reccomend them any day over eno, etc... if you want a hammock made in the RSBTR fabrics many of the cottage vendors manufacture and sell them.

Yeah that's the thing is cost. I don't mind one hammock being around 50 or 60 dollars. I never purchased an ENO because I couldn't see spending around 100 plus. I am just saying ENO because when I researched buying hammocks (on amazon) that was always top rated.
That would be really cool I want to meet up with the local group anyway so thats a great idea. I know who my local group is. I will be going soon if work allows it on the day.
I'm the same weight as you so more stretch is probably better. As long as it holds me. Lol. Weight of gear is not a major factor to me since I'm more of a car camper as of now but cost, quality, and comfort are real important.
Thanks I will check out what Dutch has to offer. I think I will wait to buy till I try some out. Then I will get an idea of it all.

Monkeyboy42
03-05-2018, 12:33
I’d reccomend a net less dutchware in 1.6 hexon then. At 6’3” you may want to try a wide (mine is), but is has floppy side issues.

The advantage of buying from the community cottage vendors is resale. If you buy a dutchware, warbonnet, or similar, and aren’t happy with it, you can resell here it for close to what you paid, minus shipping costs.

I make a lot of my own gear. If you (or someone you know) have very basic sewing skills you can whip out a hammock for around $30, and a few hours of work. My first ones were from some super cheap fabric, to figure out what I was even doing. Just another option.

Group hang is your best bet, before spending money.

Car Camper
03-05-2018, 13:16
I’d reccomend a net less dutchware in 1.6 hexon then. At 6’3” you may want to try a wide (mine is), but is has floppy side issues.

The advantage of buying from the community cottage vendors is resale. If you buy a dutchware, warbonnet, or similar, and aren’t happy with it, you can resell here it for close to what you paid, minus shipping costs.

I make a lot of my own gear. If you (or someone you know) have very basic sewing skills you can whip out a hammock for around $30, and a few hours of work. My first ones were from some super cheap fabric, to figure out what I was even doing. Just another option.

Group hang is your best bet, before spending money.

Yeah I like the wider hammock. That's a good point.

My mom is the big sewer. Maybe I could have her help. I was just afraid if it is sewn wrong or off by a little bit that the sag will be weird. That's a good idea to use cheap fabric first. Maybe I will try that though. After I go on a hang. You can't beat that price if it's comfortable.
Thanks for all the ideas.

When you say community cottage do you mean this sites buy and sell page? Or a different website?

Chemist
03-05-2018, 13:34
Another thing to look at is fabric weight. Typically heavier fabrics offer a flatter lay.

Watertooner
03-05-2018, 14:33
When you say community cottage do you mean this sites buy and sell page? Or a different website?

He means looking at the sub-forums under this header [Hammock Gear - Manufacturers and Services]. Lots of good options for someone thinking about moving on from their initial hammock. Good luck and try to get to the SprinterGiving Hang in April!

Monkeyboy42
03-05-2018, 14:39

You can buy used on the buy/sell forum, but I was referring to the vendors that are posted in the vendors section of the forum. Check out dutchware, dream hammock, warbonnet, etc. they all have simple gathered end hammocks at competitive prices that are much better then Eno. They also have much higher end premium hammocks also, so don’t get overwhelmed. If you want a wide check out Dutchwares net less hammock in wide Hexon 1.6. https://dutchwaregear.com/product/11ft-netless/#fabric-layer-option-1 A single layer should run $42

Car Camper
03-06-2018, 23:09
Another thing to look at is fabric weight. Typically heavier fabrics offer a flatter lay.

Oh good to know! Thanks for the info.

Car Camper
03-06-2018, 23:12
He means looking at the sub-forums under this header [Hammock Gear - Manufacturers and Services]. Lots of good options for someone thinking about moving on from their initial hammock. Good luck and try to get to the SprinterGiving Hang in April!

OK thanks. I guess I should mess around on the site more to see where everything is. OK I will try to find the info on that. Hahaha I think I know where to look....
Thanks

Car Camper
03-06-2018, 23:18
You can buy used on the buy/sell forum, but I was referring to the vendors that are posted in the vendors section of the forum. Check out dutchware, dream hammock, warbonnet, etc. they all have simple gathered end hammocks at competitive prices that are much better then Eno. They also have much higher end premium hammocks also, so don’t get overwhelmed. If you want a wide check out Dutchwares net less hammock in wide Hexon 1.6. https://dutchwaregear.com/product/11ft-netless/#fabric-layer-option-1 A single layer should run $42

Thanks I will check out that link after I reply here. 42 dollars is perfect for my price range. OK now I see yeah i need to look around on here more and get use to the forums.
If there are that many different qualities of hammock material I wonder at what cost point you pay for just the name. I haven't looked around so I have no idea but I should do a search for the most expensive hammock.
P.s. Cool so that is the finished fabric all I really would need is a heavy clip and cord (heavy duty of coarse, just talking generic here) and i could be set. No sewing required?

Army_of_One
03-07-2018, 11:46
https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/netless-hammock-kit
Here's another option.

sqidmark
03-07-2018, 12:59

However, heavier fabrics do not necessarily equate to better lower back support. Too stiff and it's like laying on a table top, no support in the lower curve area at all. Of course I'm looking at this from the lighter end of the scale. :rolleyes:

I've tried quite a few different fabrics and have settled on Robic 1.7XL for my nightly and car camping GE's, and Robic 1.2XL for backpacking. Both just happen to fill that void to cradle my lower back. It may sound odd but for bridges, Robic 1.7 is too firm while 1.2 is perfect, for me.

I have 4yds of Argon 1.6 on the shelf I intend to make a GE with, just have to get around to it. Hexon 1.6 has proven to be just a smidge too stiff and Hexon 1.0 is way too stretchy...for me.

For what it's worth, I prefer 60" wide x 11', but I'm 5'4".

I know it's already been mentioned, but RL lengths can have a signifcant impact on the lower back, once the correct fabric has been found.

The point is that those of us with finicky body parts have little choice but to keep experimenting till we find what works best for us. Embrace the hunt! :)

Car Camper
03-07-2018, 19:17
https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/netless-hammock-kit
Here's another option.

Thanks for the link. I am afraid it would be sewn wrong but it's nice to see how cheap it is.

Car Camper
03-07-2018, 19:25
However, heavier fabrics do not necessarily equate to better lower back support. Too stiff and it's like laying on a table top, no support in the lower curve area at all. Of course I'm looking at this from the lighter end of the scale. :rolleyes:

I've tried quite a few different fabrics and have settled on Robic 1.7XL for my nightly and car camping GE's, and Robic 1.2XL for backpacking. Both just happen to fill that void to cradle my lower back. It may sound odd but for bridges, Robic 1.7 is too firm while 1.2 is perfect, for me.

I have 4yds of Argon 1.6 on the shelf I intend to make a GE with, just have to get around to it. Hexon 1.6 has proven to be just a smidge too stiff and Hexon 1.0 is way too stretchy...for me.

For what it's worth, I prefer 60" wide x 11', but I'm 5'4".

I know it's already been mentioned, but RL lengths can have a signifcant impact on the lower back, once the correct fabric has been found.

The point is that those of us with finicky body parts have little choice but to keep experimenting till we find what works best for us. Embrace the hunt! :)

Thats a good point I think everyone is a little different. I was wondering how thick is too thick. I guess I will have to try and see.
Is there such a thing as "too long" of hammock? I mean reasonable length like 13 ft or 12 ft long? Most things including shoes I need to buy from somewhere special being so big. I should have known that 10ft would be a bit small. I'm wondering if I should just buy 12 ft hammock or 11 and a half foot hammock. After all my ridge line will help if it's a bit too large right?
I see all these different widths and didn't know how wide I need to lay flat....that must be somewhat important for a taller guy I think. I guess things I figure out as I go.

sqidmark
03-07-2018, 21:34
My wife and I set out to find exactly what length would meet our minimum comfort level. I was expecting and hoping for 10' so we could also use a shorter tarp. Didn't turn out that way.

I made a 12' hammock and whipped one end at 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5 and full 12'. We each swapped spending a night at each length. Anything less than 11' was unacceptable for both of us, and we're 5'4" and 5'3". 11' also turned out to be the point of diminishing returns, for us. No harm in longer length but we found little benefit. Taller folks would probably like it though as well as a bit wider. I think that even taller folks though have adopted 11' as the defacto standard, reason is that you also have to consider tarp length and tree distances.

BTW, due to knee and back issues, I have to have a cushion under my knees, even in a bridge. This can help greatly with lower back pain, hyperextension and help eliminate any hint of calf ridge. It's a whole other avenue to explore with different shapes, widths, thickness, fabric, fill, and/or inflatables. Explore you shall...trust me. :)

Car Camper
03-07-2018, 22:17
My wife and I set out to find exactly what length would meet our minimum comfort level. I was expecting and hoping for 10' so we could also use a shorter tarp. Didn't turn out that way.

I made a 12' hammock and whipped one end at 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5 and full 12'. We each swapped spending a night at each length. Anything less than 11' was unacceptable for both of us, and we're 5'4" and 5'3". 11' also turned out to be the point of diminishing returns, for us. No harm in longer length but we found little benefit. Taller folks would probably like it though as well as a bit wider. I think that even taller folks though have adopted 11' as the defacto standard, reason is that you also have to consider tarp length and tree distances.

BTW, due to knee and back issues, I have to have a cushion under my knees, even in a bridge. This can help greatly with lower back pain, hyperextension and help eliminate any hint of calf ridge. It's a whole other avenue to explore with different shapes, widths, thickness, fabric, fill, and/or inflatables. Explore you shall...trust me. :)

Thanks. That's interesting way to test it just by whipping one end. I like that idea! GOOD POINT! I own a 11' (I think) rain fly and only 10' (i think) separate bug net......glad neither were "name brand" so if I need to replace them it won't be as bad.

It's funny in normal day work I don't usually have a bad back or knees. But that's why when I wake up I guess I can tell something isn't right.

Thanks yeah. Lots to learn and try out.

BillyBob58
03-07-2018, 22:40
There are so many variables involved in hammock comfort, hammock variables vs human variables, it is really hard- at least for me- to say if your hammock might be too short for you. Especially if you are not having knee pain problems, I have to wonder. Although, the easiest way to know is to get another one and put it to the test. Some of the variables are fabric weight, single vs double layer, length, width, gathered vs bridge, hang angle and tension, whipping of various styles vs channel, foot end height ve head end, user height, width and weight. Whew!

I am so often the odd man out, and have been since I got here in early 2007. By which I mean: whatever has become common knowledge seemingly shared by most folks often does not apply to me. Not always, but often enough.

I only have one 11 foot hammock, one which was very highly reviewed at the time by some folks who were really experienced and knowledgeable, and I have hardly ever used it since I got it some years ago. BTW, I am 6'1", and my weight has ranged up and down from 200-225 lbs, back and forth, during that time. It's not that it is not a fine hammock, but I just don't think it is one bit better- and maybe not as good in some ways- as my other hammocks which are shorter. Go figure. But, if it is not any more comfy for me, it does however require a longer tarp for equal coverage, so it has not seen much action. I keep trying to remember to go back and try it again.

Although I do have one 11.8 ft hammock(HH Safari) that is at the very top of comfy hammocks for me, but it is barely better than some of my shorter hammocks, and weighs more and requires that longer tarp.

Except for that Safari, which is a bit on the heavy side for a single layer hammock, probably my most consistently comfortable non-bridge hammock is the 10 ft long by 4 ft wide dbl layer Claytor No Net. I am least likely to get calf ridge or knee extension in this hammock than I am with most of my others, and because it worked so well with my Pea Pod it usually ended up being my choice for my week long trips. Never a hint of back discomfort for me in this 10 ft, narrow hammock.

Another frequently used hammock for me over a 12 year period is the 10.8 foot HH Explorer UL. OK, now that one is admittedly closer to 11 ft, very close. Sometimes I get some some calf pressure with that one, more often than the Claytor. But no knee extension and no hint of back discomfort.

But finally there is the old Speer 8.5. There was a tie around here, back in the day, when this Speer, and it's shorter version ( 8 ft I think) was almost the favorite hammock chosen by many, while most of the others chose the various HHs. That is why I bought a Speer after I joined this forum and had already bought the HH Expl. UL and used it on a week long trip through the Wind River Mountains of WY about 4 or 5 months before I found HF. I got over here and found more than a few experienced users choosing the Speer hammocks over many others. (it probably was evenly divided between Speer/HH/ and somewhat DIY. But I don't think any of the DIYs were over 10 ft. But maybe some were, though many were following Speer's DIY directions for 8 ft hammocks.) Now can you imagine that? One of the fav hammocks here being either 8 or 8.5 foot? That seems preposterous or impossible by today's standards doesn't it? ( I think Speer's basic formula was height plus 2 feet, so there were maybe even some 7-7.5 ft hammocks! :scared: But I think the standard Speer was 8 ft )

And what do I(at 6'1") remember about sleeping in my Speer 8.5? On my back, sometimes I had some knee hyper-extension and would need to place a little stuff sack under my knees. Also, I could not very well sleep on my side with legs straight without getting some side torque, but fetal was just fine. But back discomfort? Not one bit, my back always felt great. Once I got a little something under my knees, it was luxuriously comfortable. I think I will dig it out and use it again! (but worked terrible on my flexing stand for some reason?)

So will a longer hammock solve your back issues? Maybe. You never know. Give it a try! It is always fun trying new hammocks, insulation and tarps!

Car Camper
03-08-2018, 00:19
There are so many variables involved in hammock comfort, hammock variables vs human variables, it is really hard- at least for me- to say if your hammock might be too short for you. Especially if you are not having knee pain problems, I have to wonder. Although, the easiest way to know is to get another one and put it to the test. Some of the variables are fabric weight, single vs double layer, length, width, gathered vs bridge, hang angle and tension, whipping of various styles vs channel, foot end height ve head end, user height, width and weight. Whew!

I am so often the odd man out, and have been since I got here in early 2007. By which I mean: whatever has become common knowledge seemingly shared by most folks often does not apply to me. Not always, but often enough.

I only have one 11 foot hammock, one which was very highly reviewed at the time by some folks who were really experienced and knowledgeable, and I have hardly ever used it since I got it some years ago. BTW, I am 6'1", and my weight has ranged up and down from 200-225 lbs, back and forth, during that time. It's not that it is not a fine hammock, but I just don't think it is one bit better- and maybe not as good in some ways- as my other hammocks which are shorter. Go figure. But, if it is not any more comfy for me, it does however require a longer tarp for equal coverage, so it has not seen much action. I keep trying to remember to go back and try it again.

Although I do have one 11.8 ft hammock(HH Safari) that is at the very top of comfy hammocks for me, but it is barely better than some of my shorter hammocks, and weighs more and requires that longer tarp.

Except for that Safari, which is a bit on the heavy side for a single layer hammock, probably my most consistently comfortable non-bridge hammock is the 10 ft long by 4 ft wide dbl layer Claytor No Net. I am least likely to get calf ridge or knee extension in this hammock than I am with most of my others, and because it worked so well with my Pea Pod it usually ended up being my choice for my week long trips. Never a hint of back discomfort for me in this 10 ft, narrow hammock.

Another frequently used hammock for me over a 12 year period is the 10.8 foot HH Explorer UL. OK, now that one is admittedly closer to 11 ft, very close. Sometimes I get some some calf pressure with that one, more often than the Claytor. But no knee extension and no hint of back discomfort.

But finally there is the old Speer 8.5. There was a tie around here, back in the day, when this Speer, and it's shorter version ( 8 ft I think) was almost the favorite hammock chosen by many, while most of the others chose the various HHs. That is why I bought a Speer after I joined this forum and had already bought the HH Expl. UL and used it on a week long trip through the Wind River Mountains of WY about 4 or 5 months before I found HF. I got over here and found more than a few experienced users choosing the Speer hammocks over many others. (it probably was evenly divided between Speer/HH/ and somewhat DIY. But I don't think any of the DIYs were over 10 ft. But maybe some were, though many were following Speer's DIY directions for 8 ft hammocks.) Now can you imagine that? One of the fav hammocks here being either 8 or 8.5 foot? That seems preposterous or impossible by today's standards doesn't it? ( I think Speer's basic formula was height plus 2 feet, so there were maybe even some 7-7.5 ft hammocks! :scared: But I think the standard Speer was 8 ft )

And what do I(at 6'1") remember about sleeping in my Speer 8.5? On my back, sometimes I had some knee hyper-extension and would need to place a little stuff sack under my knees. Also, I could not very well sleep on my side with legs straight without getting some side torque, but fetal was just fine. But back discomfort? Not one bit, my back always felt great. Once I got a little something under my knees, it was luxuriously comfortable. I think I will dig it out and use it again! (but worked terrible on my flexing stand for some reason?)

So will a longer hammock solve your back issues? Maybe. You never know. Give it a try! It is always fun trying new hammocks, insulation and tarps!

It really is fun trying the new setups. I own a total of 3 hammocks all lower cost ones. My first is a Tribal Provisions hammock single which was 10'x4' and it was OK and bought to see if I really like this style. As a present I was given a single with a bugnet sewn on but that is 8' long and honestly to small for me.

Yeah I don't think I have problems with my knees just back. I compare it to my old mattress. I fall asleep but wake up and move a bit then fall asleep. I wake up and I'm rested enough but I need to stretch my back. It's the same feeling not my knees but my back. Almost like I need a pillow under the arch of my back from poor support. (The hammock is a little worse than my bed)

No problem with getting me to switch companies. I'm too new to have a favorite or my special company lol.

I'm going to try and see a video with what you are describing as far as fabric not right under your legs. I think I know but a visual will help.

My hammock (hobo double 10') is a gathered end hammock that is a single layer of fabric. Nothing fancy but I added a ridge line. I have it close but I still sleep bad. I don't think it is my ridge lines adjustment abilities I think it is the hammock.

I really want to eventually replace my bed with a hammock for sleeping. I built one of the awesome stands off of a design I saw on here. So I will have 2 hammocks one for the great outdoors and one for inside.....if all goes as planned.

Starting to see my question is like walking into a shoe store and asking a worker to look at my feet and tell me the best shoe for me. Lol.

BillyBob58
03-08-2018, 00:39
I'm going to try and see a video with what you are describing as far as fabric not right under your legs. I think I know but a visual will help...................
Starting to see my question is like walking into a shoe store and asking a worker to look at my feet and tell me the best shoe for me. Lol.

Bingo, now you've got it! It is like a pair of shoes! Why would we ever think it is very likely that the shoes I love would also be your favorite?

About that "fabric not right under your legs"? Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to me having to put a stuff sack or small pillow under my knees when on my back in the Speer 8.5?

Car Camper
03-08-2018, 01:19
Bingo, now you've got it! It is like a pair of shoes! Why would we ever think it is very likely that the shoes I love would also be your favorite?

About that "fabric not right under your legs"? Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to me having to put a stuff sack or small pillow under my knees when on my back in the Speer 8.5?

Exactly everyone's different.
Yeah that's what I was talking about. Is that from your hammock edge fabric lifting your feet making you knees over extend? I have heard other talk about legs not being perfect also. P.s. I did a quick video search and didn't find a video but I can picture what your saying I think.

Maybe my legs are a problem to being that it all connects together....i never paid to much attention to that and having less than probably 20 over nighters in my hammock I might have missed that and only noticed my back.

I'm a few days I plan to set up my hammock again. I will try to see exactly how I'm positioned as far as legs and back.

BillyBob58
03-10-2018, 15:23
Exactly everyone's different.
Yeah that's what I was talking about. Is that from your hammock edge fabric lifting your feet making you knees over extend? I have heard other talk about legs not being perfect also. P.s. I did a quick video search and didn't find a video but I can picture what your saying I think.

Maybe my legs are a problem to being that it all connects together....i never paid to much attention to that and having less than probably 20 over nighters in my hammock I might have missed that and only noticed my back.

I'm a few days I plan to set up my hammock again. I will try to see exactly how I'm positioned as far as legs and back.

Well, yes, I think. If the hammock is not long enough and/or maybe wide enough to get on an adequate diagonal, I would expect for the hammock edge to lift my feet a bit, resulting in extension of my knees, and discomfort. Tough sometimes I am able to solve these issues by not getting all that diagonal in the first place, especially with the Claytor, which is a narrow hammock.

Another common problem- regardless of hammock length or width it seems, because I have had it in one of my only 11 foot hammocks, is a ridge that forms down the center of lower half of the hammock and puts pressure on my calf. There is no ignoring this, very uncomfy.

A solution to both of these issues is something to serve as a small pillow under the knees. This is about a 100% cure for knee extension. It also often helps with that calf pressure. It might also help with back issues, as rare as those seem to be with hammocks. When I worked in surgery, it was routine for us to place a pillow under folks knees when they were having cataracts out under local anesthesia. Though the beds were well padded, many could not take the back discomfort that resulted from having their legs straight and knees not flexed a little, at least they could not take it for very long. A stuff sack with a jacket inside also adds a bit of insulation. Plus, a pillow between the knees is sometimes helpful when side sleeping.

Car Camper
03-10-2018, 16:30
Well, yes, I think. If the hammock is not long enough and/or maybe wide enough to get on an adequate diagonal, I would expect for the hammock edge to lift my feet a bit, resulting in extension of my knees, and discomfort. Tough sometimes I am able to solve these issues by not getting all that diagonal in the first place, especially with the Claytor, which is a narrow hammock.

Another common problem- regardless of hammock length or width it seems, because I have had it in one of my only 11 foot hammocks, is a ridge that forms down the center of lower half of the hammock and puts pressure on my calf. There is no ignoring this, very uncomfy.

A solution to both of these issues is something to serve as a small pillow under the knees. This is about a 100% cure for knee extension. It also often helps with that calf pressure. It might also help with back issues, as rare as those seem to be with hammocks. When I worked in surgery, it was routine for us to place a pillow under folks knees when they were having cataracts out under local anesthesia. Though the beds were well padded, many could not take the back discomfort that resulted from having their legs straight and knees not flexed a little, at least they could not take it for very long. A stuff sack with a jacket inside also adds a bit of insulation. Plus, a pillow between the knees is sometimes helpful when side sleeping.

I slept in the 10 ft (normal) hammock last night and really paid attention to my legs and it wasn't bent back or hyper extended but there was a ridge in the middle of the hammock. Either way I took of my sweat shirt and balled it up under my knees for back sleeping and it didn't fix the problem. It didn't make it worse but I guess that is not the exact issue.

For how cheap the hammock is I will give a bigger hammock and give it a go.
Thanks for the help!

W8lkinUSA
03-10-2018, 16:48
That's probably for the best. Can't say that you didn't try..

Even with my new BB XLC, I had hip discomfort when laying head-left foot-right due to an injury. Reversing my lay was an improvement. I'm 5' 11''.

Car Camper
03-10-2018, 18:36
That's probably for the best. Can't say that you didn't try..

Even with my new BB XLC, I had hip discomfort when laying head-left foot-right due to an injury. Reversing my lay was an improvement. I'm 5' 11''.

Yeah now I know. Ok I always lay head on right legs to left. Thanks now I know something else to try.

ThreeRidges
03-22-2018, 15:39
For what’s it worth, I’m 6’3” and use an 11’ 68” or so wide Hammock. I can’t sleep on my back in a bed, but can in a hammock. Go figure.

Car Camper
03-22-2018, 19:32
For what’s it worth, I’m 6’3” and use an 11’ 68” or so wide Hammock. I can’t sleep on my back in a bed, but can in a hammock. Go figure.

Good to know. That is pretty interesting. I bought the 11ft wide hammock and my back still isn't right. I was wrong though it's my middle back not lower. I think the part that arches in is getting flattened out. I probably need a pillow or some junk to put in the small of my back. I like the hammock but still am not right. I think I'm just the odd ball others have no problem. I should try sleeping on my side then my back could still curve.

W8lkinUSA
03-24-2018, 06:27
Good to know. That is pretty interesting. I bought the 11ft wide hammock and my back still isn't right. I was wrong though it's my middle back not lower. I think the part that arches in is getting flattened out. I probably need a pillow or some junk to put in the small of my back. I like the hammock but still am not right. I think I'm just the odd ball others have no problem. I should try sleeping on my side then my back could still curve.

Do you use a pillow in the hammock?

I use a Klymit x-pillow inflated 25-30% in the Ridgerunner. I've napped in my BB XLC only once for two hours without discomfort. I cannot remember if I use my LL Bean down pillow that day since I was away dog-sitting.

Otherwise, a Ridgerunner might work better for you. I still haven't determined if I can move away from my Ridgerunner and its accessories..

Car Camper
03-24-2018, 08:41
Do you use a pillow in the hammock?

I use a Klymit x-pillow inflated 25-30% in the Ridgerunner. I've napped in my BB XLC only once for two hours without discomfort. I cannot remember if I use my LL Bean down pillow that day since I was away dog-sitting.

Otherwise, a Ridgerunner might work better for you. I still haven't determined if I can move away from my Ridgerunner and its accessories..

No I never tried that. I was wondering about an inflatable pillow. I then thought maybe in summer the past shell of a pillow might make me sweat when I pay on it but never tried any. I was thinking about mutilating a memory foam pillow with a scissors to get it to be in the shape of an arch. Maybe an inflatable is the way to go.

Do you mean a pillow for under my back or under my head. I never tried any pillow for my head but have used my sweat shirt balled up under my back which did help but wasn't perfect.

I thought my ridge line could help which is good but won't fix that part I don't think.
Thanks for the idea about that style of pillow I was thinking of something like that.

W8lkinUSA
04-14-2018, 00:08
I then thought maybe in summer the past shell of a pillow might make me sweat when I pay on it but never tried any....

Do you mean a pillow for under my back or under my head.

The pillow only added minimal heat during my August camping, but I typically have electricity and a shop fan for sleeping. Sleeping in 80-90°F without a fan would be difficult unless I'm thoroughly exhausted.

I use the camp pillow for my neck and very little for my head. I sleep with a standard down pillow at home since I need little support. I even travel with my llbean down travel pillow since most places carry medium or firm pillows..

Car Camper
04-14-2018, 08:13
The pillow only added minimal heat during my August camping, but I typically have electricity and a shop fan for sleeping. Sleeping in 80-90°F without a fan would be difficult unless I'm thoroughly exhausted.

I use the camp pillow for my neck and very little for my head. I sleep with a standard down pillow at home since I need little support. I even travel with my llbean down travel pillow since most places carry medium or firm pillows..

OK. Thanks for explaining that more. I usually like the flatter pillows to for my head myself. That's funny so far I have slept outside in pretty chilly temps but never in hot nights. I will try that this year. Even if it isn't perfect and a little hot if it makes it more comfortable that's worth it. It's funny I'm finally ready for warmer weather and we just got snow over night.........that's Wisconsin though.

ouroboros
04-15-2018, 09:09
I'm 5'11" and 180-185lbs and when I was using a 1.0 oz fabric 11' hammock, I would get some lower back pain occasionally...

I now primarily use a 1.9 oz hammock and.. no more back pain. I'm not 100% sure if it is simply due to the stiffer fabric or partly because it's a differently cut hammock... but in any case, I do believe the heavier fabric has something to do with it.

W8lkinUSA
04-15-2018, 10:57
I'm 5'11" and 180-185lbs and when I was using a 1.0 oz fabric 11' hammock, I would get some lower back pain occasionally...

I now primarily use a 1.9 oz hammock and.. no more back pain. I'm not 100% sure if it is simply due to the stiffer fabric or partly because it's a differently cut hammock... but in any case, I do believe the heavier fabric has something to do with it.
I can see how the stretchy 1.0 oz might create vertebrae alignment issues. What would be the maximum weight limit without back alignment problems?

Car Camper
04-15-2018, 13:40

Wow maybe that's the answer? I recently bought the 1.6oz hexon or what ever from that company where the lady sewed it herself. The quality is fantastic but the small of my back still isn't quite right. That's the 11 ft wide hammock. That's fine though for how little I hang
Eventually it would be nice to get a perfect nights sleep like the awesome stories I keep hearing. Maybe I should try that next.

I guess it's like most gear/equipment everyone has a slightly different experience with what works for them.

ouroboros
04-16-2018, 09:54
I can see how the stretchy 1.0 oz might create vertebrae alignment issues. What would be the maximum weight limit without back alignment problems?

I think Dutch lists 250lbs as the limit for Hexon 1.0 but, again, my weight at 185 felt a little too stretchy in that fabric. I could see the 1.0 Hexon working for people maybe 160lbs or less... but these are just numbers I'm thinking off the top of my head so who knows!

ouroboros
04-16-2018, 09:57
Wow maybe that's the answer? I recently bought the 1.6oz hexon or what ever from that company where the lady sewed it herself. The quality is fantastic but the small of my back still isn't quite right. That's the 11 ft wide hammock. That's fine though for how little I hang
Eventually it would be nice to get a perfect nights sleep like the awesome stories I keep hearing. Maybe I should try that next.

I guess it's like most gear/equipment everyone has a slightly different experience with what works for them.

What's funny is that my 1st hammock was a Hennessy Expedition Asym... and that's an even thicker fabric than my current 1.9... I'd guess the Hennessy is 2.0+... but I had some sleep/back issues in that hammock too, but it is either a 10 foot or 10.5 foot.

I think everyone is different but for me, that 1.9oz fabric in an 11' length seems to do the trick for my height/weight/etc.

Car Camper
04-16-2018, 11:09
What's funny is that my 1st hammock was a Hennessy Expedition Asym... and that's an even thicker fabric than my current 1.9... I'd guess the Hennessy is 2.0+... but I had some sleep/back issues in that hammock too, but it is either a 10 foot or 10.5 foot.

I think everyone is different but for me, that 1.9oz fabric in an 11' length seems to do the trick for my height/weight/etc.

Wow well good to know. Come summer I will have to get one with the 1.9 and give it a try. Thanks

W8lkinUSA
04-17-2018, 22:10
I think Dutch lists 250lbs as the limit for Hexon 1.0 but, again, my weight at 185 felt a little too stretchy in that fabric. I could see the 1.0 Hexon working for people maybe 160lbs or less... but these are just numbers I'm thinking off the top of my head so who knows!
I hear ya. Manufacturer limitations seem primarily related to the breaking point, but I've recently wondered about my comfort limitations on stretch. My Ridgerunner is double 1.1 and Blackbird XLC is double 1.7.

Weighing 170-175 lbs, I was initially concerned that the Blackbird XLC purchase from this last Christmas would be too stiff. Soon, I'll be concerned about a lighter Blackbird purchase for backpacking..

Your insight into this matter will be useful as I reflect on it further. If my hip recovers from injury, then my concerns may dissipate.