PDA

View Full Version : MMG Shamu UQ review after two years

Humneso
03-17-2018, 10:51
I’ve been camping in hammocks since I was a kid, but it’s only been over the last 5 years or so that I’ve started to get more serious about hammock gear. I used sleeping bags and CCF pads for a long time. 2 years ago, I was getting ready for a 3-day hike, and really wanted to start cutting weight and volume. I started researching UQs and discovered that they were all way out of my budget. I started to think I was just going to have to live with my setup until I stumbled across MacEntyre’s sale on the Shamu. I jumped on it, and have been extremely happy with it ever since.

My biggest concern when purchasing was the minimal thickness of the Climashield he uses in that UQ. It was thinner than my 50* sleeping bag, so I thought there was no way it could take me colder than that! MacEntyre was saying that it took him down to just below freezing, so I was eager to test that! Since then, I have spent quite a few very happy nights sleeping with that UQ. And I have come to the point of agreeing with MacEntyre on the temp, at least for me. The coldest I have used it was down to 28*. That’s where it started to break down for me. Down to 30*, it is good, as long as it is positioned correctly. I can tell almost instantly if it slips off my shoulder, or away from my feet. If is is hanging too loosely, I begin to feel CBS. As long as I take the time to position it right (true with any UQ), it works just great. Basically, if I am reasonably confident that it’s not going to get below 30*, the Shamu is what’s in my pack. It’s an excellent UQ, quality construction, and my go-to.

Along with the Shamu, I also purchased the MMG overquilt. It has been excellent! The amazing thing is that it gets me far lower than 30*! I have camped in temps down to the teens. For that, I use a thicker DIY UQ, but I still use my MMG overquilt, and it has never failed me.

I don’t see a lot of recent posts about MMG gear, so thought I’d throw out a plug!

Thanks for a great product at a good price.

BillyBob58
03-17-2018, 12:15
I’ve been camping in hammocks since I was a kid, but it’s only been over the last 5 years or so that I’ve started to get more serious about hammock gear. I used sleeping bags and CCF pads for a long time. 2 years ago, I was getting ready for a 3-day hike, and really wanted to start cutting weight and volume. I started researching UQs and discovered that they were all way out of my budget. I started to think I was just going to have to live with my setup until I stumbled across MacEntyre’s sale on the Shamu. I jumped on it, and have been extremely happy with it ever since.

My biggest concern when purchasing was the minimal thickness of the Climashield he uses in that UQ. It was thinner than my 50* sleeping bag, so I thought there was no way it could take me colder than that! MacEntyre was saying that it took him down to just below freezing, so I was eager to test that! Since then, I have spent quite a few very happy nights sleeping with that UQ. And I have come to the point of agreeing with MacEntyre on the temp, at least for me. The coldest I have used it was down to 28*. That’s where it started to break down for me. Down to 30*, it is good, as long as it is positioned correctly. I can tell almost instantly if it slips off my shoulder, or away from my feet. If is is hanging too loosely, I begin to feel CBS. As long as I take the time to position it right (true with any UQ), it works just great. Basically, if I am reasonably confident that it’s not going to get below 30*, the Shamu is what’s in my pack. It’s an excellent UQ, quality construction, and my go-to.

Along with the Shamu, I also purchased the MMG overquilt. It has been excellent! The amazing thing is that it gets me far lower than 30*! I have camped in temps down to the teens. For that, I use a thicker DIY UQ, but I still use my MMG overquilt, and it has never failed me.

I don’t see a lot of recent posts about MMG gear, so thought I’d throw out a plug!

Thanks for the review! And for proving a point that is seldom understood: different materials do not have the same temp rating relative to thickness! Much as a CCF or even OCF(HH only 5/8" thick) pad, Climashield(or Polarguard or Primaloft) always seem to me to be much warmer than their thickness indicates, and really not very far behind down when it comes to warmth for weight.

Hence, people will often look at a 20 oz CS UQ and think: "Man, my 20 oz down UQ looks much warmer than that, because it is in fact noticeably thicker than the CS". But in my experience, that is simply not correct about being warmer. For one example of many: I have- one time at least- taken 2.5 oz/sq/yd CS XP(old style) into the high forties and was warm with no other insulating layers(just cotton T shirt and jeans, 40-50*F syn TQ). Surprisingly warm. Not only is that only a total of 2.5 oz insulation in a Yeti size torso UQ, the loft was a pathetic 0.6"!

How warm would you expect to be in a down UQ with .6" loft, if such a creature even exists? ;) I bet you would need at least 1.5" of dry down to get into the 40s, 1.25 absolute minimum, 2 or 3 times as much thickness as CS. As your experience has proved. I rest my case: you can not compare the warmth of synthetics vs down just by looking at the thickness, though many do exactly that.

But, as always, that down of equiv warmth WILL pack down smaller. So if pack space is at a premium..............

ShortRound
03-17-2018, 12:34

Ive used a MMG Bivy Hammock for 2 years & its worked great ! I actually just sent it back to have a winter cover mod done. Innovative stuff at MMG

ShortRound
03-17-2018, 12:36
Ive used a MMG Bivy Hammock for 2 years & its worked great ! I actually just sent it back to have a winter cover mod done. Innovative stuff at MMG

Humneso
03-17-2018, 20:15
Thanks for the review! And for proving a point that is seldom understood: different materials do not have the same temp rating relative to thickness!

As your experience has proved. I rest my case: you can not compare the warmth of synthetics vs down just by looking at the thickness, though many do exactly that.

But, as always, that down of equiv warmth WILL pack down smaller. So if pack space is at a premium..............

Good points, and that was one of my hang ups about it prior to using it. I didn’t think there was any way that thin of a UQ would be able to keep me warm. But it does great. And since my hikes tend to be no more than 3 nights, I don’t really have much of an issue with pack space. Add to that the fact that I also use the Molly Mac Pack, so space really isn’t an issue!

Humneso
03-17-2018, 20:17

Sure is; I’m surprised he doesn’t have more mentions and reviews! But it doesn’t look like he’s focused on marketing very hard either. It’s great to be able to find guys doing quality work and thinking through the way gear does and should work!

ShortRound
03-17-2018, 20:53
I will soon do a video featuring the mmg bivy hammock. In time I will have another made with a different ul material as the original robic 1.0 has been red flagged for failure. The hammock is so unique & Light.

QFT
03-19-2018, 14:33
Your timing is impeccable. I am looking for an ultralight full-length underquilt that can comfortably do 40-60 degree nights. The MollyMac website is a little short on pictures and some details, but for 16oz (or 12, depending where it's listed) for $135 it seems like a steal, and practically the same as Enlightened Equipment's which is $50 more.

How much does yours weigh? How small does it pack, if you know, compared to a 40deg down quilt? And do you think it would be comfy at 60 degrees? Is there anything that you wish were more like a down quilt?

Humneso
03-21-2018, 09:51
For 40-60 degrees, IMHO, it is perfect. At 60, it's still good, and at that temp, I'm usually using the TQ much less, with the bottom warmth being generally sufficient. I'm not sure about weight; I've never weighed it - it's light enough, so never bothered. As far as size, it packs into a stuff sack about the size of a cantaloupe. I can't compare it to down, as I've never owned a down quilt.

For the price, it's the best value I've been able to find. It's light enough to not be a bother, fits exactly the way I want it on my Molly Mac Pack, and keeps me warm down to freezing. YMMV, but I don't think you'd regret having one in your kit.

QFT
03-21-2018, 10:00
Thanks for the reply. It kinda blows my mind, because synthetic quilts are known as heavier and less packable than their down counterparts - but you and Molly Mac are saying that this is absolutely fine as a full length 40 degree underquilt which weighs 12-16 oz and packs down below 2L size.

If that's the case, I don't understand why anyone would bother buying a down UQ. 40 deg down UQs aren't that small and light.

Humneso
03-21-2018, 11:15
Here I thought down UQs packed smaller...I've just never bothered looking seriously at them because of the price. I had just used pads and sleeping bags for a long time, then discovered serious hammock camping, but haven't had the budget to go all in on gear I didn't see as absolutely essential. If the MMGUQ wasn't meeting my needs, I'm in a place now where I'd look into it. But haven't had the need thus far, so on I go merrily down the trail with my synthetics!

BTW, I did DIY a UQ for the purpose of going below freezing. I got the kit from RSBTR with 5 oz Climashield. It gets me well below freezing, but it's twice the size of my Shamu, so I don't carry it unless I absolutely have to.

BillyBob58
03-21-2018, 13:42
Thanks for the reply. It kinda blows my mind, because synthetic quilts are known as heavier and less packable than their down counterparts - but you and Molly Mac are saying that this is absolutely fine as a full length 40 degree underquilt which weighs 12-16 oz and packs down below 2L size.

If that's the case, I don't understand why anyone would bother buying a down UQ. 40 deg down UQs aren't that small and light.

They are indeed known for that. But I have consistently disagreed with that concept- or at least the weight part- for a decade. And I use and like both. Once you account for baffle weight with down, there just isn’t much difference. IMO. Especially at 20f and above. And then when you throw in the superior water resistance and speed/ease of drying of CS etc., the down advantage decreases even more. IOW, I feel a greater need for an UQP with down. Many disagree that there’s any advantage when wet, but my experience indicates there def is.

HOWEVER! It might be that all or most of that wet insurance disappears with the new fangled treated down. I just don’t know. I have some but have never put it to the test. I suspect it resists water far better than before.

Also, in the past my down has maintained its loft way better than my synthetics. But, my CS Yeti is 8 or 10 years old now, and the loft seems roughly unchanged. But, it has not been stuffed and severely compressed much more than a few times. Down is renowned for it’s longevity.
Finally, it does still pack down a bit smaller, but maybe not a huge amount. And if you have room for it, that becomes irrelevant.

So, IMO, CS is a fine alternative to down, with the disadvantages roughly outweighed by the advantages, depending on one’s needs and preferences. This thread provides some evidence of that premise. For a little more, just do a search for AHE Jarbidge CS UQ, and look for complaints vs people who are warm on the very 1st try. I bet the complaints or “can’t get warm” threads are close to nonexistent. It weighs a whopping 20 oz.

QFT
03-28-2018, 12:28
Thanks for the insight. After submitting my questions to them through their website, I never heard back from the Molly Mac guys (it's been a week). Regardless, I ordered a Shamu full length based on the feedback in this thread. It would be great if it does go down to freezing as claimed but honestly if it only does 40 degrees at full length for below a pound and under 2L packability I'll be real happy for $150 shipped.

Humneso
03-28-2018, 12:37
I get it - that's exactly how I felt about it when I ordered one! MacEntyre has generally been pretty responsive in my experience, but he hasn't posted here recently either, so must be busy. I'm sure he'll get it to you in fairly short order. BTW, as far as I know, it is just him - he makes it all, ships it all, etc.

Update us after you've had a chance to use it!

QFT
03-28-2018, 16:00
I'll try to remember that!

He already emailed me to say that the order will be shipped next week. I then asked, and he answered my questions - yes, it's under 16oz finished, it packs below 2L. About the temp rating - it'll go to freezing if you're a warm sleeper, and don't sleep naked. And it's inadequate if the night starts at 32 and stays there. Some consider it a 40 degree blanket. Fine by me... still sounds like great specs for a 40deg blanket.

MacEntyre
03-28-2018, 17:05
...it doesn’t look like he’s focused on marketing very hard either.
That's true. Also, that will soon change. We're moving, hiring and planning a marketing strategy. Might even start usin' labels!

It’s great to be able to find guys doing quality work and thinking through the way gear does and should work!
You are kind to say so... I try hard to design and make good gear.

I will soon do a video featuring the mmg bivy hammock.
I can't wait to see it! Klipspringer (formerly known as Thing1) and I love ours. I have never had the chance to use one on the ground, though.

In time I will have another made with a different ul material as the original robic 1.0 has been red flagged for failure. The hammock is so unique & Light.
I am thankful that you pointed that out. Fortunately, there are other excellent choices of material for hammocks.

The MollyMac website is a little short on pictures and some details, but ...
I apologize, and, as I said, that will change. It won't happen real soon, but the complete overhaul of the product line will happen before the end of summer.

Is there anything that you wish were more like a down quilt?
I say, Viva la Difference! Seriously, I want down for situations below 20*F, and synthetic above 20*F. That is simply because water will melt here and there when temps get above 20*F. Synthetic can take a wet hit and keep going, and it is easier to dry. But ya'll know all that...

Thanks for the insight. After submitting my questions to them through their website, I never heard back from the Molly Mac guys (it's been a week).
I am so glad you ordered in spite of not hearing from me. It's my fault, because I do not look at Gmail often, and that is how the web site contacts me. I'll do better, starting now!

...he hasn't posted here recently either, so must be busy.
Yep, I've been busy. I'm helping create a Permaculture Farm with a Commercial Aquaponics Facility. It's Farming for Chemical Engineers, and I'm lovin' it!

...as far as I know, it is just him - he makes it all, ships it all, etc.
Right now that is true, jus' me. Soon I hope to hire some folks who can help out. We have big plans that go beyond Hammocks!

Thanks again, Folks, for the kind words and thoughtful review.

QFT
03-28-2018, 19:36
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the new site update, and my new quilt.

Humneso
03-28-2018, 20:57
That's true. Also, that will soon change. We're moving, hiring and planning a marketing strategy. Might even start usin' labels!

Excellently! Glad to hear good things are happening.

MacEntyre
04-05-2018, 18:07
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the new site update, and my new quilt.
Won't be long!