PDA

View Full Version : New Brown SWT

Hooch
02-15-2010, 20:16
Ok, be honest, y'all, you're among friends. Who ordered one of the new brown Speer Winter Tarps? I know they were sold in limited quantities some time back, but now Ed has them on his website. Me? Ordered mine the other day. :D It'll be here later this week, in plenty of time for my 3 upcoming section hikes. :thumbup: I may have to go back and order some No-Tangle so I can make of of those fancy-schmancy external ridgelines to hang it from (Thanks for the idea Ikemouser, Shug, Tee Dee, etc.). :)

NCPatrick
02-15-2010, 20:32
Congrats Hooch! Still not sold on extra effort ridgeline myself. Post pictures when you get it!

Hooch
02-15-2010, 20:35
Congrats Hooch! Still not sold on extra effort ridgeline myself. Post pictures when you get it!I'm not totally sold on it, either, but I do like the idea of the simplicity in its adjustability. I'll give it a go and report back, but Shug's video on it shows it very well demonstrated.

NCPatrick
02-15-2010, 20:44
I've not had a problem with tarp adjustment, especially not with whoopie slings on the hammock (adjusting to center under the tarp is easy), but let me know how that goes. Thanks!

Shug
02-15-2010, 20:55
May I chime in? ...... I am "playing" with it. Like it for snow loads a lot. Got the new set-up from opie and am gonna hook that up soonest .... results to follow.
Whether or not I stay with it in mild weather remains to be seen.
I want a brown SWT ......
Shug

Big D
02-15-2010, 21:09
I love my brown SWT! I don't think this color is as olive as the previous brown, but much better than the grey. IMO

Take-a-knee
02-15-2010, 21:39
I love my brown SWT!

Me too, got mine last fall, one of the first I believe.

MedicineMan
02-15-2010, 22:36
mine is a dissapointing grey, tried to order brown but weren't available when i got mine :( major chagrin, anybody want to trade a brown for a grey? come on, help a hillbilly out

questtrek
02-15-2010, 22:59
I want one too... I think the brown would be great for a stealthy pitch.?

Hangin'Yankee
02-16-2010, 16:52
I'm not totally sold on it, either, but I do like the idea of the simplicity in its adjustability. I'll give it a go and report back, but Shug's video on it shows it very well demonstrated.

I tried the over the tarp ridgeline setup the other night. Originally, I didn't see the point other than the adjustability. I've never really had a problem with centering so I didn't get it.

After giving it a shot, I think I like it and am definitely going to use it next time out. The adjustability was nice and to me the main benefit will be not over stressing my tarp ridgeline. You see, I'm a "cranker." I like my tarp very taut and I know that I over tighten it, especially with the Figure 9's that allow you to do some serious cranking.

With TeeDee's set-up I got a nice taut set without the stress due to the shock cords attached to the ridgeline. I've got no pics because my camera broke down but there are already plenty of pics and vids out there.

Anyway, I think I'm a believer! :D

Randy

Beast 71
02-17-2010, 01:41
mine is a dissapointing grey, tried to order brown but weren't available when i got mine :( major chagrin, anybody want to trade a brown for a grey? come on, help a hillbilly out

Is it a true grey or more of a blue-grey?

Shug
02-17-2010, 10:49
Is it a true grey or more of a blue-grey?
Kinda both .... depending on the light!
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/9/0/7/swt_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=8555&c=7)
Shug

lazy river road
02-17-2010, 12:07
Congrats Hooch! Still not sold on extra effort ridgeline myself. Post pictures when you get it!

Sry if this is a bit off topic but NCPatrick what do you mean by "extra effort ridgeline". Are you saying that you find the over the top ride line more effort then just useing two pieces of line to attach tarp ridgeline pull outs to the tree?

NCPatrick
02-17-2010, 12:33
Yes, that is what I meant. It just seems like One More Thing To Do to hang your ridgeline, then hang your tarp on the ridgeline, then adjust. Since I very rarely have a lot of snow-weight on my tarp I'm having trouble figuring out what the benefits are. I guess I'll give it a shot and see if I can figure it out for myself. <shrug> I guess I'm the one that's lazy. I'll start a new thread. Don't want to hijack this one.

Sry if this is a bit off topic but NCPatrick what do you mean by "extra effort ridgeline". Are you saying that you find the over the top ride line more effort then just useing two pieces of line to attach tarp ridgeline pull outs to the tree?

cavscout
02-17-2010, 13:45
I'm there with you NCP, I'm not lazy though, I'm "efficient". The way I can see the OTRL to be better is if you incorporate the prussic knots on the RL and toggles on the tarp. Then you string up the RL nice and snug then put the toggles into the prussics and slide to snug and center. I like the sounds of this better than what I have been doing...Lay tarp on shoulder, sling one cord around tree and secure with fig.9, walk to other tree and sling cord around, discover not enough cord, go back and loosen first cord, walk back to other tree..... rinse and repeat :)

Hangin'Yankee
02-17-2010, 17:54
I'm there with you NCP, I'm not lazy though, I'm "efficient". The way I can see the OTRL to be better is if you incorporate the prussic knots on the RL and toggles on the tarp. Then you string up the RL nice and snug then put the toggles into the prussics and slide to snug and center. I like the sounds of this better than what I have been doing...Lay tarp on shoulder, sling one cord around tree and secure with fig.9, walk to other tree and sling cord around, discover not enough cord, go back and loosen first cord, walk back to other tree..... rinse and repeat :)

That's exactly how it works. If you use shock cord for your prussics, you get a nice tight but not too tight set-up. I tried it for the first time last week and liked the results.

Randy

Hooch
02-17-2010, 20:50
I hate to get the thread back on track, but my new brown SWT came in the mail today! Yay! It was wating ever so patiently in the mailbox for me when I got home from work tonight. It's gorgeous and I can't wait to take it for a test hang some time soon! I may have to make a point to head up to Stone Mountain State Park or Crowder's Mountain State Park some time next week to try it out overnight. Tomorrow after work, on go the guyline tieouts and the shock cord tarp tensioners. New gear, me likey. :thumbup:

NCPatrick
02-17-2010, 20:58
A couple of us are headed to South Mountains State Park on the 27th. You're welcome to join us!

Hooch
02-17-2010, 21:04
A couple of us are headed to Soth Mountains State Park on the 27th. You're welcome to join us!Thanks for the invite, NCP, but I have to work that weekend. Rainczech?