PDA

View Full Version : ULA Heads-Up

Cannibal
07-09-2007, 13:03
I know this isn't specific to hammocking, but I know many of us use Brian's products so I wanted to share if you didn't already know.

ULA is going to stop processing orders until December. August 1st is the close date and he is processing and shipping until then. I'm in a panic to get my Catalyst ordered before then and wanted to be sure to spread the word.

NCPatrick
07-09-2007, 13:41
Thanks. I saw that he would be out. Better order quick if you're so inclined

I recently took my new ULA Circuit on a strenuous hike and overnight (gallery) to test my BIL's hammock and bug bivvy, and I was very happy with that entire equipment setup.

headchange4u
07-09-2007, 13:54
I have been wanting a ULA pack for a while now. I'm thinking about selling my Osprey Aether 70 and getting a Catalyst just to have something a little larger than my Latitude Vapor pack.

Coffee
07-10-2007, 23:29
He sure is taking a lot of time off to hike. I guess that is one of the benifits to having a well established cottege gear company. I for one am enveyous.

Cannibal
07-25-2007, 08:16
Woooohoooooo! I managed to get the money together in just enough time to get in on the final production run last week. My brand spankin new Catalyst will be here next week! Of course, now I'm logging into UPS every hour to see where it is.:D

Now, where shall I take it first?

headchange4u
07-25-2007, 08:27
I have a used Catalyst on the way. Should be here in the next couple of days.

The only option that mine came with was the dual stay frame sheet. After a little research, I am planning on making my own hydration sleeve and stash pocket. The only problem that I see is finding a source for the clips the are used to attach the accessories to the pack:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/IMG_0166.jpg
Anyone know where I can find clips like the ones in the pic?

NCPatrick
07-25-2007, 10:25
I wonder whether Brian Frankle would tell you if you emailed him...?

headchange4u
07-25-2007, 10:54
I wonder whether Brian Frankle would tell you if you emailed him...?

I have emailed him about the clips already, but I have not heard back. I just bought the hydration sleeve from the FS forum here so I may just end up buying the stash pocket from Brian @ ULA.

I would like to make my own but the clips are gonna be a problem. I could always devise another attachment method...:rolleyes:

Cannibal
07-25-2007, 10:58
I just spoke with a lady at a shop in Conneticut about these things. I sent her a picture and she is going to look around for me. I'm pretty hopeful I'll hear something today.

slowhike
07-26-2007, 00:28
if i'm understanding what those clips do, how about two mini biners?

Cannibal
07-26-2007, 07:29
My search attempt netted zero results. I wonder if they are custom jobs; this lady has a room full of catalogs of clips and connectors and could not find them.

GrizzlyAdams
07-26-2007, 07:52
not that it's much help, but these clips have been used on the Camelbak unBottle. One that I bought a couple of years ago has them. Some pictures now show it with D rings for attachment to packs, the one at the Camelbak site looks like it has still those clips.

Grizz

headchange4u
07-26-2007, 07:59
I've checked every source that I know of and I haven't been able to find these clips or anything similar. I know that I can find something that will work. It's the anal retentive side of me wants the stock clips. :)

Cannibal
07-26-2007, 08:18
I'm right there with you. It's the principle of it that is driving me nuts.

NCPatrick
07-26-2007, 09:09
Apparently, it's called a "Slik Clip" and is produced by Duraflex. I'm still researching where to actually buy them. I read that Camelbak uses them too.

Hooch
07-26-2007, 09:29
Apparently, it's called a "Slik Clip" and is produced by Duraflex. I'm still researching where to actually buy them. I read that Camelbak uses them too.Maybe if you ask nice when you explain to the kind people at Camelbak how you lost the clips and would like to have a few to replace them so you can retain the value of your gear with the stock clips. Ya never know, the worst the can say is no. :D

Cannibal
07-26-2007, 09:37
Here (http://www.natlmold.com/distrib_list.html) is a list of distributors of Duraflex (makers of slik clips). Nice find NCPatrick!

Cannibal
07-26-2007, 09:45
Here you go! REI (http://www.rei.com/product/627517) has them in stock.

NCPatrick
07-26-2007, 09:49
I registered on the Duraflex site and looked at their online catalog.

Drool drool. DIY'ers paradise.

Tons of clips and stuff for every possible occasion. Now to figure out how to order from them, or how to order through one of those distributors, etc.

Hooch
07-26-2007, 10:04
I registered on the Duraflex site and looked at their online catalog. In my attempt to help HC out with getting the Slik Clips, I did the same thing NCP. TONS of cool plastic hardware there for the DIY types.

headchange4u
07-26-2007, 10:29
Thanks guys. I had started a search, but my work duties got in the way. Work sux. Always cutting into my outdoor time. :p

Hooch
07-26-2007, 10:44
Work sux. Always cutting into my outdoor time. :p Tell me about it! I'd love to get involved in wilderness medicine or maybe work at the base camp hospital/clinic at Mount Everest or something like that. If I could figure out a "perfect" way to combine nursing with the outdoors and make a decent living at it, I'd be a happy camper. Or should I say happy hanger? :p

Cannibal
07-26-2007, 10:53
There is a reason "work" is spelled with 4 letters!:D

Hooch
07-26-2007, 11:02
There is a reason "work" is spelled with 4 letters!:DThat's why ya gotta pick something you're passionate about, something that moves you, makes you think and expands your mind at least to some degree. I'm not so naive to think that everyone can or will do this. I'm just lucky in that regard, I guess.

Cannibal
07-26-2007, 11:12
I tried that once, got tired of eating Ramen Noodles. Funny part is the way I figure, Ramen Noodles will be on the diet again for my thru.:eek:

The circle of life just keeps on-a-turnin. The only difference is the seabag I was carring back then was about 75lbs; my new Catalyst loaded will be about 34lbs. Progress is progress; when you're trying to find the Zen.:D

headchange4u
07-26-2007, 13:30
WOOT.

Went home for lunch and my ULA Catalyst was waiting for me. For a used pack it looks brand spankin' new. It a really nice looking pack and bigger than I was thinking it would be. I can't wait to hit the trail with it. I will probably go home tonight and load it up just to see what it feels like with some weight in it.

NCPatrick
07-26-2007, 13:47
Congrats HC! I just finished making a silnylon pack cover/gear hammock for my new Circuit pack (and saved myself 22.00 or so.)...

Cannibal
07-26-2007, 13:54
WOOT.

Went home for lunch and my ULA Catalyst was waiting for me. For a used pack it looks brand spankin' new. It a really nice looking pack and bigger than I was thinking it would be. I can't wait to hit the trail with it. I will probably go home tonight and load it up just to see what it feels like with some weight in it.

Yeah, the size of those things really surprised me too.

I'm totally jealous that you have yours. I think mine is somewhere over Kansas right now.