PDA

View Full Version : Help with Canada trip

Threejsrocketry
04-17-2018, 23:03
Hello, my family and I are going to Canada this summer to spend a couple of days in Winnipeg with some distant family. Then we want to drive to Rushing River Provincial Park near Kenora and spend a night there. Hopefully hanging. Then travel to Caliper Lake Provincial Park for a night. Finally, hooking up with my brother-in-law in Morson and fishing walleye on LOW for a few days. Any cool things to check out along that route would be greatly appreciated. Also, any info about the parks and how hanger friendly they are. We need trees to hang three people, so any sites to reserve or any other information to help us get our trip planned. Thanks in advance.

Tyroler Holzhacker
04-18-2018, 08:15
I believe HF member esmith is from that area, and he may offer some tips on that part of Canada. Have fun.

BrianWillan
04-19-2018, 09:06
I believe HF member esmith is from that area, and he may offer some tips on that part of Canada. Have fun.

Contact Bothwell Voyageur as another option. He lives in the Winnipeg area of Manitoba and may be able to offer some assistance with your questions.

Cheers

Brian

Bothwell Voyageur
04-19-2018, 11:34
Hi ThreeJs

Have been trawling back through my memories to remember details of our trips to Rushing River for some hammock specific details. It is a great little park though can be very busy, particularly at holiday weekends. we usually stayed there for a night before or after a canoe trip and don't remember our pitches having trees suitable for hanging though I think there were some areas at the south west end of the site that may be better.

Dogtooth Lake and beyond are great for exploring (and camping) by water. If you are in a 4x4 there is a logging road running off the highway west and you can drive in there to camp informally for free but some sites along there are a bit "overused" we usually use this road to access the lakes around there for paddling/camping. There are some fantastic beaches on some of the lakes and pictograph sites at a couple of locations as well as great fishing but make sure you have a licence as the conservation officers do visit to check on campers from time to time.

esmith
04-19-2018, 12:33
Thanks Tyroler for the mention, I'm over in Alberta, 2 provinces away. That's about 1197 KM's away or 744 miles so I am not familiar with that area.

Anyone coming up to Central Alberta feel free to contact me any time! I have been going to the provincial sites around the eastern foothills for over 20 years and the last few years going into the Public Land Zones and rough camping. I'm also very familiar with Cape Breton, Nova Scotia if anyone wants info about there!

Looks like in this case Bothwell has him well covered!

Cheers guys!

Tikker
04-19-2018, 12:37
Hello, my family and I are going to Canada this summer to spend a couple of days in Winnipeg .
when? we're having a hammock hang that first weekend of june just outside winnipeg

Threejsrocketry
04-19-2018, 19:24
Our trip is Monday July 16 starting in Winnipeg. The nights of the 17 and 18 hanging. Then meeting up with family in Morson on Thursday 19 and fishing. Heading home on the 22.
Thanks everyone

Threejsrocketry
04-19-2018, 19:30
We are interested in the boondocking by Dogtooth Lake. Any details about this area would be great. Being from out of country, would we need any special permits for camping. We will have fishing licenses .

Tikker
04-19-2018, 19:41
you will likely need park passes

they come in 2 flavours, provincial or federal, depending on who funds the park/lake

Fishbite
04-19-2018, 20:37
I would reccomend a bug shelter or big tent to get gather and get away from the bugs. I go to Eagle lake in Ontario around that time, an morning evening and night the mosquitos can be hungry.

Niagara
04-20-2018, 05:24
Hi there, have only driven that way eastward once a few years back. Make sure you stop to see 'husky the musky' in Kenora.
Lots of area up that way is 'Crown land' which means you can boondock (admit I had to look that up, had not heard of that term that way used for camping.) check out the crown use policy atlas website and you can zoom into a map. You will be looking for light yellow areas off highways.
And yes bug shelter / protection for sure.
Niagara

Bothwell Voyageur
05-01-2018, 18:48
Sorry, been a bit busy.

Should have qualified my response by saying that as you are from south of the border you will require a "crown land camping permit" if camping outside a park. I believe the camping fees for a non resident in Provincial Parks is also different in Ontario. In Manitoba it is free to camp on crown land and in Provincial Parks you just need a vehicle pass outside of a formal campground.

Send me your email and I can let you have a map.

Threejsrocketry
05-01-2018, 19:50
[email protected] thanks for the help.
Jeff

Debi Jaytee
05-03-2018, 19:48
you definitely need a Crown Land use permit in Ontario, not sure what the cost is. I'm driving through that area on Saturday on my way to Winnipeg to visit my brother. I'm grabbing your email address, if I find out any information along the way, I'll pass it on to you. Bring bug dope. Lots of bug dope.

Tyroler Holzhacker
05-04-2018, 16:02
Thanks Tyroler for the mention, I'm over in Alberta, 2 provinces away. That's about 1197 KM's away or 744 miles so I am not familiar with that area.

Anyone coming up to Central Alberta feel free to contact me any time! I have been going to the provincial sites around the eastern foothills for over 20 years and the last few years going into the Public Land Zones and rough camping. I'm also very familiar with Cape Breton, Nova Scotia if anyone wants info about there!

Looks like in this case Bothwell has him well covered!

Cheers guys!

OOps. Central Canadian geography isn't my strong suit. I was way off there! Maybe doable if you were going by bush plane. I would like to visit the Banff area one of these days. I may ask you about that sometime soon. How is the Banff area for hammocking? I suppose Grizzlies/Canadian bears would be something to have to be concerned about, eh? Definitely on my bucket list.