PDA

View Full Version : DIY Undercover?

goatman
07-09-2007, 13:56
Just wondering if anyone has made an undercover for their hammock? If so was it difficult? I'm waiting for my HH Hyperlight to arrive :D and wondering how to optimize it for season ahead and warmth? I've done a little sewing on silnylon and it's not difficult. It would seem one could do a DIY undercover using the hammocks bottom as a pattern pretty easily. Or am I missing something:confused:? Suggestions?

Tks, Steve

headchange4u
07-09-2007, 14:04
Are you trying to make something for weather protection or are you wanting something more like what's on the HH Super Shelter system? If want some weather protection take a look at this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=311). I used Tyvek to make mine. You want something that is a breathable. Silymay work but you since sil is waterproof you run the risk of the "bath tub effect" where moisture like sweat, condensation, or rain would pool in the undercover directly under your hammock.

BTW, welcome to the forum I really enjoy your site, especially the videos of your goats.

goatman
07-10-2007, 17:48
I was thinking of both weather protection and as an insulation pocket.

BTW My Hyperlight arrived yesterday :D and I spent my first night in a hammock last nght. It was great ...really comfortable:p ! With both side and back positions I experienced no pressure points like when I sleep on the ground! I used an old combo CCF-OCF pad that I picked up in a garage sale for a buck. It worked pretty good except for the buckling and shifting. I used my WM Hyperlight (16oz bag) quilt fashion and was very comfortable but the low temp was only 55F until the wind kicked in then my feet got cold where they were touching the hammock! So I've got some fine tunning to get a working system.

Also thanks for thread link it was great info!! Man, what's with those gonzo tree hugger straps and giant biner I saw in your pics? You could lift the Titanic with that set up? Do you carry those on the trail?

headchange4u
07-10-2007, 20:14
Those aren't tree huggers. I changed the stock HH spectra line to webbing. It's easier to use.

FanaticFringer
07-10-2007, 21:10
Welcome Goatman,

I have a Hyperlight as well. Great hammock for sure. Check out the Speer SPE.
Works really well:www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
This is the support system many have switched to. Really makes set-up a breeze: www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565&highlight=buckle

warbonnetguy
07-10-2007, 22:12
hey goatman,welcome to the forum, its good to see another coloradoan here (even though i still consider myself a Tennesseean)

you could use the hammock body as a patteren, but as this shape is rectangular with ends gathered, you will have lots of excess fabric being unused, you could save several ounces by cutting a shape that is custom fit to the bottom, like the hh undercover does.

too bad about your feet cramming into the side of the hammock and crushing the insul, its due to the bad shape of your hammock, not much you can do except to lay more in-line/less diagonal, i guess you could carry an extra long pad to insulate the side of the hammock where the compression is taking place too. had you gotten a warbonnet hammock instead, there would be plenty of room for your feet and you would not have this problem...Brandon

Coffee
07-10-2007, 23:22
One thing you might want to consider adding in is a gear storage pocket similar to the clark hammocks. That might be nice storage or added insulation fator.

goatman
07-11-2007, 11:33
Thanks for the ideas guys!

Yup another gear pocket for sure! I hung my 1/2 liter water bottle on one of those little hooks for middle of the night dry mouth fixes. Also looking into the ring buckle system. I can see like all activities it can become another hobby where the journey becomes the destination.

As far as waking jammed into the foot area I think that was from not hanging the hammock level. Worked much better last night. I pitched (old tent term!) rather hung it more level this time and didn't wind up pile at the foot end. Lots to learn here but the more time I spend in it the better like it!

http://picasaweb.google.com/n0tu.qrp/Hammock/photo#5085967257385409458

Cannibal
07-11-2007, 12:03
I actually find I'm a little more comfortable with the foot end of my hammock hung a couple of inches higher than the head end. Personal preference, but you might try it while your still in the steep part of the learning curve.

FanaticFringer
07-11-2007, 16:06
Yea most here raise the foot end a little higher. Since most of your body weight is from hips upward, it helps to prevent your body from shifting downwards.
Nice pic Goatman. One suggestion. Get yourself a bigger tarp. The Hyperlight tarp is itty bitty.:D

headchange4u
07-11-2007, 17:08
If you get a larger tarp your goats can sleep under the tarp with you.

I took my wife and niece camping last weekend at my grandmother's farm. They slept in a tent and I slept my hammock. :) We took our three dogs with us and I think all of the dogs ended up sleeping under my 12X10 cat cut tarp by the end of the night. I could hear one of them snoring right under my hammock.

goatman
07-11-2007, 21:00
Yeah, I make my 'pack goats' carry some of the their own gear (plus a little of mine) which is a 12'x12' 2-lb Kelty tarp to keep them dry. They hate getting wet! So my plan is to hang under their 12x12 tarp w/my HH and use the HH tarp as double protection and maybe an overcover if temps warrant?

One reason for getting off the ground is my goats keep trying to join me in my tent. I figure if I'm hanging this will be less of an issue. They can sleep under me.

BTW ...they don't bark, bite or chase or make much noise. Don't need to bring special feed for 'em as they trim the trail's over growth and get this ...they think I'm the alpha goat and just follow me around everywhere like I know where I'm going. (ha! if they only knew the truth!) ...they're the best hiking buddies ever!

FanaticFringer
07-11-2007, 21:03
Yeah, I make my 'pack goats' carry some of the their own gear (plus a little of mine) which is a 12'x12' 2-lb Kelty tarp to keep them dry. They hate getting wet! So my plan is to hang under their 12x12 tarp w/my HH and use the HH tarp as double protection and maybe an overcover if temps warrant?

One reason for getting off the ground is my goats keep trying to join me in my tent. I figure if I'm hanging this will be less of an issue. They can sleep under me.

BTW ...they don't bark, bite or chase or make much noise. Don't need to bring special feed for 'em as they trim the trail's over growth and get this ...they think I'm the alpha goat and just follow me around everywhere like I know where I'm going. (ha! if they only knew the truth!) ...they're the best hiking buddies ever!

That may be the best post I've read yet.:D

schrochem
07-11-2007, 21:10
That may be the best post I've read yet.:D

no kidding!
I HAVE to see some pics :D

warbonnetguy
07-11-2007, 23:10
hey goat man, i ran into someone with goats or llamas at greyrock/poudre canyon. i was coming down the trail and this guy was coming up around dusk with a pack of around 10 or 20. this was about a year ago. was it you? how many other "goatpackers?" can there be in CO? sounds like a cool idea though. how many do you need to carry all your stuff?

headchange4u
07-12-2007, 09:50
no kidding!
I HAVE to see some pics :D

Go to the goatman's website (http://www.angelfire.com/planet/goatman/). There are pics and videos of the goats.

goatman
07-12-2007, 09:55
Sorry it wasn't me I've only 2-goats at present.

BTW - I Plan to get more but decided to start w/just two about 2yrs ago. When they reach their full weight they'llbe able to carry 25-30% of their body weight. The big goat "Rooster" is 165lbs ...I'm hopng he hits 200lbs!! Man just think I'll be able to bring the kitchen sink AND the dutch oven on my BP trips.
http://www.angelfire.com/planet/goatman
Only thing is if one of them get's hurt or goes lame ya gotta be able to buck up their load! (ouch!)

Wow guess this thread went OT

pure_mahem
09-30-2007, 19:22
I can definately see 3 goats in that pic, don't tell me that that one is for food.lol

FanaticFringer
09-30-2007, 20:05
I can definately see 3 goats in that pic, don't tell me that that one is for food.lol

He'll never starve to death, that's for sure.