PDA

View Full Version : How do y'all do it?

Mr. Gillam
05-08-2018, 07:30
I have been playing with hammocks, on and off for over a year now, and cannot get comfortable in one. Out of the dozen nights I've spent in a hammock, only one yielded a trace amount of useful sleep. Lol

I had a BBXLC but didn't care for it. We currently have 2 WB Travelers and they are okay but, I cannot avoid a calf ridge and therefore cannot get comfortable.

Last night I was messing around with angles and finally got rid of the ridge. The down side was that the ridgeline was slack...like hanging 14" low. I know that's now how it's supposed to work but, I was comfortable.

Should I consider another hammock brand?

For the record, I'm 6'2" and about 255.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Vanhalo
05-08-2018, 07:43
I have the New 1.7 SL XLC and in the beginning i didn't care for it.

Then i shortened my hang span from 19' to 14-9" and got the suspension height dialed in (foot end 80" and head end 65") ......very comfortable now.

Just had a very good night's sleep @ 50°

It was important (for me) to have the ridge line right.

I am 5'-11"...was 230-238 when i started...now I am 180....

rweb82
05-08-2018, 08:01
Perhaps try a different manufacturer. While a lot of people find the BBXLC to be very comfortable, it is pretty well known that the BB line requires more fiddling to get it dialed in than other hammocks. I am not knocking Warbonnet in any way- as Brandon makes great gear. However, it may be worth trying something from another cottage vendor- like Dream Hammock or SLD. both offer more fabric choices- which you may need. I know if you talk to the Smurfs at Dream Hammock, they will help you choose the best fabric and width for your height/weight. I am 6'1", and absolutely love my Raven.

Good luck figuring it all out!

Grumpy Squatch
05-08-2018, 08:08
You're not alone. There are many threads here from people in the same situation and thousands of suggestions. I count myself as one of those people for whom a hammock has become more comfortable than the ground but still not perfectly comfortable. I think the brand of hammock matters little. Although for heavier people (I go around 240) fabric choice and stretch can matter a bit, the basic comfort derives from the overall size (length and width) of a hammock rather than the particular features of one brand or another.

As your experiment has shown, the hang matters a lot for some of us. I have a friend who normally sleeps terribly at home and has for years. But in the woods he claims to fall asleep in his hammock quickly and sleep comfortably whether it's hanging like a U from two trees barely 12' apart or stretched tight enough to be a trampoline. Me, on the other hand, if I don't get it just right, I'll be up all night reading instead of sleeping.

After a few years of experimentation here's what works better for me:

Longer = better. I started in a 9' Hennessy. I now have an 11' Dream Hammock. That helped a lot.
Pitch matters. This is perhaps counter-intuitive but it's much easier for me to get a good pitch backpacking in a forest with infinite tree pairs to choose from than trying to make something work in a campground. So don't be afraid to search for the right hang if you can. You'll never get comfortable with a sub-optimal pitch. Better to spend an extra hour setting up well than several hours tossing and turning at night.
Accessories matter. Full-length underquilts put pressure on my outside foot which drives me INSANE and leads to sleepless nights unless I find a position that minimizes this. 3/4 length quilts might be an option, but I also toss and turn when sleeping so a foot pad can be just as infuriating. Similarly, integrated bug nets can be annoying unless the side tie-outs are set just right to keep them off my face. I've settled on full-length quilts and sleeping on my side to avoid the pressure.
I sleep on my side in a hammock. I sleep on my side at home. I sleep on my side on the ground. I sleep on my side on airplanes (when I have a lay-flat seat at least.) Most side-sleepers say they can sleep on their back in a hammock. I can't. My suggestion to you is not to fight your natural comfort position because you think you should be able to sleep on your back.
It takes practice. I built a stand for use at home even though I have plenty of trees in my yard. With a stand I got a 100% repeatable pitch so I knew I would be comfortable. Then I tested in my yard dozens of nights. Barely slept any in the beginning, but eventually I conditioned myself and things got better. Now I know that I can find a comfortable pitch so I don't worry about being uncomfortable in the woods which helps me relax.
Like a hotspot in your boot, deal with any discomfort immediately. Calf ridges, chills, cold spots will not resolve themselves. Get up and deal with them as soon as you feel them.
Block out other distractions. I use ear plugs and eye shades. I never wear anything except tight-fitting thermals because I can't stand lumpy or twisted clothes.

Hammocking for me has become like skiing or golfing. I will spend a lifetime in pursuit of that perfect turn or that perfect swing. Most of the time I'll be close but not quite there. Once in a while it all comes together: the club contacts the ball perfectly and you just feel it in your hands and know it's a good swing, or the skis hook up perfectly and your weight flows through the turn and they stay perfectly planted and carving through the whole thing. And there is no better feeling in the world.

After waking up on the ground sore, again, years ago I decided to try hammocking. I put maybe 12 nights into my setup in the yard and slept only one or two before taking it to the woods. On the first night I froze because of poor campsite selection and a shifting wind (and a forecast 20° F colder than predicted). I didn't sleep one minute and remember looking at my watch just about every hour to prove it. The next night heading out of the woods we found one of the nicest spots I've ever come across. I hung my hammock surrounded by small pine trees to block the wind. The big trees were perfectly spaced about 14' apart. That night around 9pm I climbed in again expecting another long night. At one point I opened my eyes and figured it must be around 11 pm or midnight. It was 5:30 am. I had slept perfectly for more than 8 hours. No sore shoulder, no sore back, no hip pain. That's the moment I knew it was worth it. I hope you can get there too.

OlTrailDog
05-08-2018, 08:13
For me the sweet spot in my WBBB XLC was located by lengthening the ridge line by approximately 2.5". I used a 6" continuous loop added on to the end of the SRL and wraps around a carabiner to locate the comfort zone. Similarly using wraps around a carabiner and commensurately adjusting the suspension could be useful in seeing if shortening the SRL works for you.

But of course, if I want the most comfortable night I simply use one of my modified Hammocktent hammock. However, without modification you exceed the height/weight limitations of a Hammocktent as they are targeted toward lithe and wiry UL backpackers.

Marnoc
05-08-2018, 08:23
I have been playing with hammocks, on and off for over a year now, and cannot get comfortable in one. Out of the dozen nights I've spent in a hammock, only one yielded a trace amount of useful sleep. Lol

I had a BBXLC but didn't care for it. We currently have 2 WB Travelers and they are okay but, I cannot avoid a calf ridge and therefore cannot get comfortable.

Last night I was messing around with angles and finally got rid of the ridge. The down side was that the ridgeline was slack...like hanging 14" low. I know that's now how it's supposed to work but, I was comfortable.

Thanks in advance.

I would try shortening the ridge line so that you have the desired sag, but not a slack line.

kroot
05-08-2018, 08:42

Thanks in advance.

For me, the biggest "aha!" comfort moment was setting my foot end to be about 12-18" higher than my head. It looks kinda goofy when you set it up, but once you're in it feels soooo much better. Calf ridge is basically gone and I can get a very flat, very comfortable lay. I'll seek out the hammock for naps now and just doze for hours, totally comfortable.

11x
05-08-2018, 08:49
I have a new wbbb xlc also. I am 6’1 and 240. I find it difficult to get completely comfortable also. My problem is I feel better head right but get shoulder squeeze and my heels press together making them soar. I traditionally sleep on my right side in bed. For some weird reason if I lay head left I don’t get as much noticeable shoulder squeeze but I can’t get my legs comfortable at all. Maybe I can thank Uncle Sam for the Leg issues. He has provided me with 6 knee surgeries. Honestly thinking about trying a ridge runner but I am pretty broad in the shoulders and not sure that would be better. I am using a unzipped mummy bag for a top quilt and feel it restricts my need for constant leg position changes. I hope to find the solution soon.

PlusOne
05-08-2018, 09:05
Another thing to remember, if you're an occasional hanger like I am, is our innate flight or fight response. I recently read a sleep study that said you will never get a good night sleep the first night you sleep somewhere new. Your mind is on constant alert figuring out if the new environment is dangerous or not. When you survive the first night your mind will then rest better the second night because you know the sounds, smells and other stress stimuli. This applies to visiting family, staying in hotels, or staying in the woods equally.

So what I'm really saying is if you go in the woods, it should really be for more than one night. :lol:

Andy "Bull" Bullock
05-08-2018, 09:09
You might be a little big, but the ridgerunner helped me tremendously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otter1
05-08-2018, 09:09
Before switching up hammocks, place a light inflatable pillow underneath your knees (Montbell's works great, but others of similar size will be fine). Add one to the idea of raising the foot and I am much more comfy.

11x
05-08-2018, 09:13
I hung mine right beside my bed till I can sleep a full nite in it. Right now I make it an hour or so good for naps I suppose but not so much for bed time. I don’t snore in my bed but seem to wake myself up snoring in my hammock.

BigE94
05-08-2018, 09:38
Might I suggest a Dutch hex 2.4 hammock blank in Hexon 2.4. Add some whoppies and a UCR for the ridge line. Play with the lay and the length of hang.

Mr. Gillam
05-08-2018, 20:13
Thanks everyone. Lots of awesome information here.

zukiguy
05-09-2018, 20:42
+1 on trying a bridge like the WB . I used to sleep OK in the gathered ends (mostly Hennessy and DIY). My Ridgerunner is now my go-to hammock for all situations. It's like a cot in the air....

Brommeland
05-10-2018, 00:58
A couple of thoughts; First off, we are about identical in height/weight and I have experienced EXACTLY what you've described. I've tried a WB BBXLC, WB 11' Traveler, A Chameleon in 1.6 Hexon, a Dutchware netless in Hexon 2.4 and a Dutchware Half-Zip in Hexon 2.4 and none of them have provided me more than a few hours of sleep. No matter what position I am in, no matter how I hang, my knees and ankles end up hurting to the point in which I must get up and walk around, and then they ache for hours afterwards. Pillows help, but are not enough.

I have found a firmer hammock is better for me - I hate Hexon 1.6, but find Hexon 2.4 much more comfortable, but still not "doable". I've also found that integrated bugnet hammocks are less comfortable than a netless model with a separate bugnet. However, none provide me with enough comfort to allow much in the way of sleep.

My solution: I've found three hammocks that work well enough to give me a decent night's sleep. They are Bill's Big Guy Bridge, an Amok Draumr and a WB Ridge Runner.

The Ridge Runner is kinda cramped (I have a 50" chest & broad shoulders), but I can make it work. Bill's design is supremely comfortable, but lacks an integrated bugnet and I could not get his net to work for me (although I seem to be in the minority here - most folks are fine with them). The Draumr is the most comfortable and very roomy, but heavy & bulky - and if your pad goes flat, you're pretty much done.

My solution is this: I have a Ridge Runner for when I am going to have to carry my gear, and I use the Draumr whenever a vehicle (truck, canoe, whatever) will be carrying me and my gear. I am still trying a make a gathered end work, but so far they're only good for naps in the yard.

Another thing that I feel might be worth repeating: someone mentioned earlier that new surroundings have a negative impact on a person's ability to sleep. I have found this to be absolutely true. Furthermore, I've found that it is worse for me in a hammock because I feel like a sack lunch hanging in a tree waiting for some apex predator to come along and munch on. (It's the same feeling that I experienced when I discovered that I was sharing a reef - while spearfishing in open ocean - with a 13ft Tiger Shark and then had to hang like bait on the surface waiting for my very slow dive buddy to clear the ladder and allow me back into the boat).

This feeling diminishes over a couple of consecutive nights as I adjust to the environment. After a few nights it's gone entirely. The only cure that I've found for this more hang time until it becomes second nature. (It also helps to be with a group - knowing that statistically a predator is going to get someone else first kinda helps:scared:)

hutzelbein
05-10-2018, 02:53
Which XLC / Traveler hammock do you have? Do you use the Traveler XL or the regular?

If you have a double layer, try a single layer - if you have a single layer, try a double layer. For me, fabric stretch is the culprit in 90% of the cases of a hammock being uncomfortable. I suspect that it's also the main reason, why I have never warmed to the Ridgerunner: it's probably too stretchy for me.

Cabbo
05-10-2018, 04:16
Sometimes the back yard can be a worthy place to take a better look at all things hammocks, just having a little more of the uninterrupted that may roll in from a weekend afternoon, setting up for Saturday night, try to do it over a few weeks, have some fun.
It is like...... checking in with the hammock weekend, this can make for a timeless occasion, being at home with the mussis and the kids..... you can walk inside grab a beer some snacks then come back lay in the hammock to enjoy.
With the mind of the mode in a calm relaxed field, you then can approach curtain things little tweets whatever, on a very different level, at your own pace, it is a journey. Enjoy!

WGoff
05-10-2018, 13:12
Good grief Grumpy Squatch you are an eternal fountain of information. Have you considered perhaps writing a text book? Thanks, yet again, for even more info. Still filtering through your lessons related to fuel and stoves!! Was thinking about paddling up to meet you from here on the Cape, but it appears that would include a considerable amount of portage.

As for your golf example...sorry, don't buy it. Golf insults your intelligence, makes you look and do foolish things and then deposits one expertly hit shot on the green, late in the round. Just to make you think you finally have it.... So you'll drop more money on greens fees and equipment. Convinced it's a conspiracy....

Tikker
05-10-2018, 16:00
The Ridge Runner is kinda cramped (I have a 50" chest & broad shoulders), but I can make it work. Bill's design is supremely comfortable, but lacks an integrated bugnet and I could not get his net to work for me (although I seem to be in the minority here - most folks are fine with them). The Draumr is the most comfortable and very roomy, but heavy & bulky - and if your pad goes flat, you're pretty much done.

I can't sleep on my back, so the Draumr is a god send for me. being able to sleep side/stomach/back is such a luxury in a hammock.

I'm also a short thick dude, and the draumr is great

Rouskof
05-10-2018, 16:46
Accessories matter. Full-length underquilts put pressure on my outside foot which drives me INSANE and leads to sleepless nights unless I find a position that minimizes this. 3/4 length quilts might be an option, but I also toss and turn when sleeping so a foot pad can be just as infuriating. Similarly, integrated bug nets can be annoying unless the side tie-outs are set just right to keep them off my face. I've settled on full-length quilts and sleeping on my side to avoid the pressure.

Hehe, I recognize myself. Have you tried the wooki, from... Warbonnet ?

KYHiker
05-10-2018, 21:23
I'm 6'2" and 210ish. I made my own 1.9oz 11ft x 60"wide hammock. It worked well for me but since I bought and tried a 1.6oz hexon SLD Tree Runner off the forums here I have found the comfort I was looking for. The magic is in the width and length of the hammock. If your over 6' tall go with an 11' hammock. My SLD is a wide model, around 70", and I get a better/flatter diagonal lay. Calf ridge is not an issue for me typically because I either do the figure 4 with the leg or I side sleep. If the calf ridge is the issue, try a bridge, but try a wide version of a gathered end first!

Mr. Gillam
05-13-2018, 20:56
Which XLC / Traveler hammock do you have? Do you use the Traveler XL or the regular?

If you have a double layer, try a single layer - if you have a single layer, try a double layer. For me, fabric stretch is the culprit in 90% of the cases of a hammock being uncomfortable. I suspect that it's also the main reason, why I have never warmed to the Ridgerunner: it's probably too stretchy for me.XL

gunner76
05-13-2018, 21:44
it is pretty well known that the BB line requires more fiddling to get it dialed in than other hammocks.

I disagree that the BB requires more fiddling than other hammocks. I own and use 3 BB's and 1 XLC.

I always recommend to new hangers to attend a group hang where you can check out a variety of hammocks and most times the owners will let you get in them and check them out. Also, you can ask the more experienced hangers to check out your set up to make sure you are doing it correctly. At the hangs I host I like to check out first time hangers setup to make sure they have everything set up properly and check out the UQs as it is very hard to make sure a UQ is snug if you have never done it before.

You might be one of the folks who do better in a bridge hammock.

SilvrSurfr
05-13-2018, 21:51
I find simple, gathered-end hammocks to be much easier to master than hammocks with integrated bugnets. Give me a Fronkey bugnet and a Dutch Netless and I'm happy. There's no bugnet restricting the direction you can lay or anything like that. I've been using the Dutch Netless for five or six years and almost always get an excellent night's sleep.

However, it's always a shock to move from bed to hammock, so I have a hammock hanging in my office - I usually try to sleep in it a night or two before I hit the trail, just to get acclimated. Occasionally, I will snore in my Dutch Netless, but that's usually from not having the foot end higher than the head end.

I won a Dutch Chameleon at a raffle last year - it's a comfortable hammock and I have no problems sleeping in it. In fact, I usually take the Chameleon whenever my beagle Joey is going to be sleeping with me. Much as I hate zippers, they seem to calm Joey and make him realize he is not going to be able to escape. However, when he wants to get out and go to the bathroom, he will start scratching at the bugnet! No harm so far because I'm a light sleeper and I will not tolerate behavior like that (and I don't ignore him either).

Eventually, I'm going to try camping with Joey in a Dutch Netless with Fronkey bugnet. Hopefully, he will like it as well, and won't figure out how to jump out!

JeepinPete
05-15-2018, 18:09
I've come to the conclusion that I simply do not sleep through the night when camping, whether in a tent or in a hammock. But my body feels much better after a night in the hammock, so that is what I use.

I spent a lot of nights in the back yard figuring the hammock thing out, and that has saved me a lot of grief figuring those things out while camping. If whatever I did isn't working, I just go in for the night and try again another night. There is no reason to suffer, unlike trying new things out on the trail. Over the last year and a half, I have spent at least 15 nights out back.

Another thing I noticed is I sleep better if the day has been physical. For example, a couple weeks back I went with a bunch of guy on a paddle down in south Jersey. By the end I was beat. Slept well, but was still up three of four times during the night. In a bed we roll over and reposition ourselves without waking, but I at least cannot do the same in a hammock.

Thus far I have tried a cheap Amazon hammock, a Hennessy, a 12' home made, a Grizz bridge, and now an Amok. The Amazon was too small, but a cheap way to try things before diving deep. The Hennessy was just too firm for my tastes. My 12' is made of 1.6 HyperD, and is very comfortable to my back and neck, but my knees never seem to stay happy (and I have no issues with my knees otherwise). I tried the Grizz for about 2 minutes, it was way too tight in the shoulders. Fortunately my daughter adopted that one.

Tried the Amok last weekend, and it is a different beast. Very much like a tent in the air.

Johnny Gunz
05-15-2018, 18:48
I had issues with a BB XLC while my buddy claims its like sleeping on a cloud. I tried a few things and ended up with one of Justbills (Townsend) Big Luxury Hammocks. It's a recessed bar bridge made for fall and heavy people. I'm not heavy, but I'm 6'2". Now, the first one I tried was HEX 70 and required a pad for true comfort. I bought a 1.7 (?) Hybrid version later and it's just superb! I love using it. I can also get pretty comfy in a Trek Light Gear Double, which is like an ENO, but nothing can touch my Biggy Deluxe.

So, don't give up and also realize that what works for some, or even most, may not for you. I had given up on camping due to sleeping on the ground being miserable. Hammocks have me back camping. You just have to try to find the right one, or type.

Monkeyboy42
05-15-2018, 19:14
I find simple, gathered-end hammocks to be much easier to master than hammocks with integrated bugnets. Give me a Fronkey bugnet and a Dutch Netless and I'm happy. There's no bugnet restricting the direction you can lay or anything like that. I've been using the Dutch Netless for five or six years and almost always get an excellent night's sleep.

However, it's always a shock to move from bed to hammock, so I have a hammock hanging in my office - I usually try to sleep in it a night or two before I hit the trail, just to get acclimated. Occasionally, I will snore in my Dutch Netless, but that's usually from not having the foot end higher than the head end.

I won a Dutch Chameleon at a raffle last year - it's a comfortable hammock and I have no problems sleeping in it. In fact, I usually take the Chameleon whenever my beagle Joey is going to be sleeping with me. Much as I hate zippers, they seem to calm Joey and make him realize he is not going to be able to escape. However, when he wants to get out and go to the bathroom, he will start scratching at the bugnet! No harm so far because I'm a light sleeper and I will not tolerate behavior like that (and I don't ignore him either).

Eventually, I'm going to try camping with Joey in a Dutch Netless with Fronkey bugnet. Hopefully, he will like it as well, and won't figure out how to jump out!

I actually agree with everything here. I use a diy gathered end with a fronkey net. I’ll never go integrated again, unless needs must. My dog (a papillon) curls up just fine in mine!

It always takes me several nights to acclimate. I can’t hop in a hammock after a long period in a bed and expect a good nights sleep. Same is true of ground sleeping for me! What helps on the trail, is exhaustion from long days hiking or canoeing. On my yearly long trip taking out college kids, I have three nights of travel on the drive up to canada to acclimate.

I normally use melatonin the first few nights. I highly, highly, HIGHLY reccomend this! My kiddo with a sleep disorder brought this into my life. Don’t expect night #1 to be perfect. Your body and mind have to adjust to the change. You’ve been sleeping in a bed your whole life, and you’ve slept in a hammock a dozen nights. It’s not an instant change for many of us.

All this said, I’m a belly sleeper at home, but learning to side sleep, due to back issues. In a hammock I have learned (quickly) to 1/4 side sleep (halfway onto my side) and back sleep. Full on side sleep and especially belly sleep causes weird hyper extension that doesn’t work for me, although there has been the occasional restless night that I try it!

TallPaul
05-15-2018, 22:16
Do they have group hangs in Indiana? Finding some fellow hangers and trying different hammocks and setups may help

Another idea could be to share some photos (or a video) of your setup. That may help us troubleshoot

XJ35S
05-28-2018, 09:15
I appreciate all these tips.

I have been sleeping good in my diy G.E. at 65" wide. My two 11' hammocks I bought, both have sewn extra material on the sides that add to the width, now both of them bother me to no end. I've tried a bunch of the solutions on the forum. Not a knotty mod yet though.

I've been thinking of a darien. How is the integrated bug net bothersome? To the lay or just too much inconvenience?

What is the widest 11' hammock with a single width piece of fabric, I.E. No stitching?

I am hanging the bought 11' in my bedroom with a 13 foot width. Is that the problem? I still have a set ridge line I think it's 108"

Moose
05-28-2018, 16:22
I have a blackbird, a blackbird replica I bought off her that someone had made, and a few dream hammocks. I must be one of the lucky ones because when I lay down in any of my hammocks I can sleep for a good 10-11 hours before I need to get up due to nature calling. I just kind of hang my hammock and then fiddle with it a little and when it looks good to my eyes it’s good to sleep in. I actually sleep better in a hammock then I do in a bed. I would have no problem getting rid of my bed and being a full time hammock sleeper I just can’t talk my wife into it.

XJ35S
05-29-2018, 06:01
I hang over my side of the bed. problem solved...

cmoulder
05-29-2018, 06:27
I have a blackbird, a blackbird replica I bought off her that someone had made, and a few dream hammocks. I must be one of the lucky ones because when I lay down in any of my hammocks I can sleep for a good 10-11 hours before I need to get up due to nature calling. I just kind of hang my hammock and then fiddle with it a little and when it looks good to my eyes it’s good to sleep in. I actually sleep better in a hammock then I do in a bed. I would have no problem getting rid of my bed and being a full time hammock sleeper I just can’t talk my wife into it.

Same here. I fidget around a little bit and am fine for the duration. Maybe wake up a time or 2 for various reasons but then right back to sleep.

BillyBob58
07-29-2018, 15:40
Before switching up hammocks, place a light inflatable pillow underneath your knees (Montbell's works great, but others of similar size will be fine). Add one to the idea of raising the foot and I am much more comfy.

Ditto. I see from another thread you might have it worked out now. But for future reference, if problems pop up again, try a big as* knee pillow. Something as big and cushy as you can use without interfering with TQ fit, but probably most any knee pillow will help.

Even though as far back as 06 I had experienced that magic sleep in the deep woods(usually after long, tiring hikes) in an HHSS and later a Claytor No Net surrounded by a Speer PeaPod, as the years passed by, various problems having to do with leg comfort kept inconsistently cropping up enough to ruin sleep. This finally drove me to bridge hammocks as my only guarantee of comfort. ( also, consistently very easy for me to insulate, still work great for me)

Recently I decided to once again look into knee pillows- even Big A** knee pillows- after reading Leiavoia's recent thread. And though it might - or might not- cause some TQ related problems that will need to be worked out once it turns cold- every one of my gathered end hammocks seems about as super comfy as any other, and just as much leg comfort as any of my bridge hammocks. I have also found these knee pillows to aid side sleep when placed between my knees. So keep this in mind if problems resurrect themselves. Or, to heck with it, go ahead and try it regardless. Highly recommended vs endless experiments with how to perfectly hang given hammock or which hammock to buy which will finally not have those leg problems. Using this approach, it does not seem to matter now which hammock I use. Good luck!

Mr. Gillam
07-29-2018, 18:31
Ditto. I see from another thread you might have it worked out now. But for future reference, if problems pop up again, try a big as* knee pillow. Something as big and cushy as you can use without interfering with TQ fit, but probably most any knee pillow will help.

Even though as far back as 06 I had experienced that magic sleep in the deep woods(usually after long, tiring hikes) in an HHSS and later a Claytor No Net surrounded by a Speer PeaPod, as the years passed by, various problems having to do with leg comfort kept inconsistently cropping up enough to ruin sleep. This finally drove me to bridge hammocks as my only guarantee of comfort. ( also, consistently very easy for me to insulate, still work great for me)

Recently I decided to once again look into knee pillows- even Big A** knee pillows- after reading Leiavoia's recent thread. And though it might - or might not- cause some TQ related problems that will need to be worked out once it turns cold- every one of my gathered end hammocks seems about as super comfy as any other, and just as much leg comfort as any of my bridge hammocks. I have also found these knee pillows to aid side sleep when placed between my knees. So keep this in mind if problems resurrect themselves. Or, to heck with it, go ahead and try it regardless. Highly recommended vs endless experiments with how to perfectly hang given hammock or which hammock to buy which will finally not have those leg problems. Using this approach, it does not seem to matter now which hammock I use. Good luck!

Thank you. If I'm not using an inflatable pad, I have got to have something under my knees to help me deal with the calf ridge. I've done pretty okay staying on my back in a hammock. I'd live to roll onto my left side but, haven't worked that our yet. Sleeping on the right side is okay though.

woodscavenger
07-30-2018, 23:23
Not sleeping well? Not hiking far enough. My wife just drug put family up to a beautiful lake outside of Baker City OR. Basically 4 miles and about 2800' elevation gain. As I am getting old and soft it kicked my tail. I normally sleep poorly in the tent even on a 4" thick BigAgnes air pad. I toss and turn and never sleep well. I have done a few hammock nights in the past but finally dialed in the ridgeline hang at home. After that hike I decided to give my feet a rest after dinner. Slept for 12 hours!! Never have done that anywhere or anytime. Woke the next day feeling awesome and ready to go instead of back/hip/shoulder achy.

My answer......hike farther!!

Mr. Gillam
07-31-2018, 19:40
Not sleeping well? Not hiking far enough. My wife just drug put family up to a beautiful lake outside of Baker City OR. Basically 4 miles and about 2800' elevation gain. As I am getting old and soft it kicked my tail. I normally sleep poorly in the tent even on a 4" thick BigAgnes air pad. I toss and turn and never sleep well. I have done a few hammock nights in the past but finally dialed in the ridgeline hang at home. After that hike I decided to give my feet a rest after dinner. Slept for 12 hours!! Never have done that anywhere or anytime. Woke the next day feeling awesome and ready to go instead of back/hip/shoulder achy.

My answer......hike farther!!
Is 50 miles in 2.5 days with 9500 feet of elevation change, after a few consecutstive nights with little sleep and a few sleeping pills enough? Lol

That was last fall and I was sleeping in a tent mind you....I'm still waiting for some good hammock sleep. I'm getting closer.

I thought for sure I would die at some point but, here I am.[emoji849]

SandmanBravo
08-29-2018, 18:06
What Grumpy Squatch said- I found a lot of his points resounding with my own experiences.

dwdavis
08-29-2018, 22:47
Some very good advice noted here by everyone on improving the quality of sleep in a hammock. Thank you for helping others overcome the problems they are having. Hammockforums.net is “the place” to go to for expert advice as there are so many experienced hangers willing to help work out any problems we may encounter. I have learned so much from this site.

I guess I’m one of the lucky ones. I have 4 Warbonnet hammocks, the XLC, 2 Travelers, and the RR. I fall asleep immediately in all of them and only wake when nature calls. I sleep much better in my hammocks than in my bed.

Rolloff
08-29-2018, 23:22
I wasn't able to master it until I set one up inside. Once I did that the availability allowed me to eventually move to it pretty much full time.

For me, it was the difference between riding a borrowed horse and riding one that you have owned, raised, and trained. Even fitful hammock sleepers agree that it's still much better than pounding the ground. Sleeping in one on a fairly regular basis, is now like taking my bed into the woods with me. That's a lot better than just not sleeping where the animals pee.

Even at my best, on the ground, it took me until the third night, before I could manage a decent night's rest. And every night was a different "bed" or pitch in a tent. Now

That"s History

Petros
09-05-2018, 08:11
A little Tylenol PM at the end of the day can do wonders as well ;-) Couple that with a side-sleeper's dream hammock like an Amok and you'd be visiting the sandman in no time!

Mr. Gillam
10-01-2018, 18:28
OP here, still working on sleeping in a hammock. It's slowly getting better and more normal to me. I was out this weekend to test my new HG Incubator. I was comfy and warm but, found that I had to use the restroom way more often than usual. What's up with that?

cmoulder
10-02-2018, 05:40
OP here, still working on sleeping in a hammock. It's slowly getting better and more normal to me. I was out this weekend to test my new HG Incubator. I was comfy and warm but, found that I had to use the restroom way more often than usual. What's up with that?

Fluid intake? :)

Seriously, what might be happening is that as the weather cools we keep drinking water at the rate we did when it was hot but don't sweat out enough of it, so at the end of the day we're a bit over-hydrated. Just one scenario that makes sense... to me anyway.

And people are different. I have a friend who needs a lot of fluid. He's a big guy and sweats a lot. One day this past April when we were doing the Allegheny Front Trail in PA he drank 7 liters of water for the day, while I drank about 1.5 liters (plus about another .5L for dinner). He didn't get out of his hammock even one time to pee, but I was up twice during the night, and I don't have any medical or bladder volume problems.

However, I don't think there's any relationship between sleeping in a hammock and having to pee more often.

Gregori
10-02-2018, 15:45
Comfort in a hammock takes some practice. A number of variables can make or break your sleep comfort.

As a new hammock camper (18+ months), I found the learning curve to be something that just time in hammock and fiddling with all the adjustments, moving around, finding the best spot in the hammock will take care of. But it takes time, and changes, and a little thinking about what is NOT comfortable.

And just learning about all the different gear options. In the end, your gear closet will grow, and you will become much more comfortable, know your perfect hang adjustments, and just relax and sleep better.

Adjustments being hammock angle, diagonal angle, ridgeline, height above ground, quilt snugness, clothes to wear in hammock, your gear setup outside of hammock, height/angle of tarp, and more.... All these little things add up in the end.

Biology breaks are natural, especially for older campers. Holding it for any length of time is NOT comfortable. You learn to get out of hammock, and back in with minimal fuss, time, effort and get all cozy again.

G

Grumpy Squatch
10-02-2018, 16:08
I had to use the restroom way more often than usual. What's up with that?

Several threads discuss that here. Not aware of anyone that has a definitive cause, but there are some physiologic changes that heppen with temperature, including what's known as "cold diuresis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diuresis#Cold-induced_diuresis)" which is poorly understood, but generally involves several reactions to a drop in body temperature that scrub fluid from the circulatory system. Although certainly present in actual hypothermia, some believe milder forms may cause more frequent urination just through exposure to cooler than normal temperatures for your body.

Floridahanger
10-02-2018, 16:25
Fluid intake? :)

Seriously, what might be happening is that as the weather cools we keep drinking water at the rate we did when it was hot but don't sweat out enough of it, so at the end of the day we're a bit over-hydrated. Just one scenario that makes sense... to me anyway.

And people are different. I have a friend who needs a lot of fluid. He's a big guy and sweats a lot. One day this past April when we were doing the Allegheny Front Trail in PA he drank 7 liters of water for the day, while I drank about 1.5 liters (plus about another .5L for dinner). He didn't get out of his hammock even one time to pee, but I was up twice during the night, and I don't have any medical or bladder volume problems.

However, I don't think there's any relationship between sleeping in a hammock and having to pee more often.Still hot here and when it does get colder, there seems to be no difference in how many times we get up . Although it's not scientific, many years with many hammockers can help in understanding this issue. Liquid intake doesn't seem to be the issue.

OP here, still working on sleeping in a hammock. It's slowly getting better and more normal to me. I was out this weekend to test my new HG Incubator. I was comfy and warm but, found that I had to use the restroom way more often than usual. What's up with that?This is an issue most, if not just a whole lot, of us have also noticed when we started hanging.

My personal opinion is that the body looks for a happy medium and laying in a hammock seems to relieve most pressure points and allows the body to relax enough for all the cells to work more efficiently enough at removing toxins. Therefore causing more times to pee at night. At home in a bed or couch, it's not very comfortable and I don't pee all night. Free advise and you get your money's worth.

Enjoy the ride.

Hotlips
10-03-2018, 00:47
When you sleep, your kidneys work to filter out the fluid that gravity has settled into your lower extremities during the day. Usually we hang with our feet elevated, and we may tend to drink more when out in nature. This is the cause of the increased nature visits at night when in the hammock usually. As for ridge line pain, foot pain, and restlessness, I use a long pillow under my knees. I use L-tryptophan tablets for restlessness and foot problems, and if I get those awesome leg cramps when I get out of my hammock I have 2 packs of mustard within reach that I tear open and suck down so I can actually walk. There is always a solution somewhere. We just have to keep looking until we find it.

scrope
10-03-2018, 10:20
When you sleep, your kidneys work to filter out the fluid that gravity has settled into your lower extremities during the day. Usually we hang with our feet elevated, and we may tend to drink more when out in nature. This is the cause of the increased nature visits at night when in the hammock usually. As for ridge line pain, foot pain, and restlessness, I use a long pillow under my knees. I use L-tryptophan tablets for restlessness and foot problems, and if I get those awesome leg cramps when I get out of my hammock I have 2 packs of mustard within reach that I tear open and suck down so I can actually walk. There is always a solution somewhere. We just have to keep looking until we find it.

For myself, I've always been told to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate while hiking -- which I do. However, I've come to the conclusion that I drink way too much water if I'm forcing myself to hydrate. I've started just drinking when I get thirsty and I noticed that I get up to pee much less (if at all) during the night.

I also have a theory that frequent peeing is flushing out toxins but also valuable minerals, etc. because I noticed that when I stopped drinking so much water I also had less cramping. Supplementing my food with banana chips as a snack increases my Potassium levels which I believe were being depleted by the frequent peeing. My instances of cramping have dropped to almost zero.

This is working for me and I put it out there as anecdotal evidence.

fivefreds
10-03-2018, 11:46
What is the widest 11' hammock with a single width piece of fabric, I.E. No stitching?

I'm 6'4" x 320 lbs, a side sleeper, & I switch sides 2-3 times at night due to old back problems. I tried an Amazon 3-panel hammock (similar to ENO), but the seams created pressure points at my neck & calf. Per the recommendation of Randy (aka "Papa Smurf") at Dream Hammock, I ordered a extra-wide (72") Sparrow (https://www.dreamhammock.com/order_detail.html?order=7304). Randy was terrific via email & he let me know which fabrics were available in extra-wide.

I LOVE MY SPARROW (https://www.dreamhammock.com/order_detail.html?order=7304)!

Still, with tree spacing and other factors in the woods being inconsistent by nature, sometimes it takes a few tweaks to get the hang dialed-in. Last weekend with the scouts I was hanging from trees located on a bit of a slope, producing an optical illustion of sorts which made it harder to eyeball keeping the foot end higher. I finally ended up laying in the hammock and closing my eyes in order to "feel" what adjustments were needed, insteaded of trying to do it by sight.

<-Pointer
10-03-2018, 11:59

If this is happening after a long day of heavy exercise then it may be exercise induced hyponatremia. There have been a number of studies that show some people have a tendency to retain water in response heavy exercise (despite heavy sweating they are still taking in more fluids than they are sweating out and often stop urination completely during the activity.) I don't think that anyone fully understands the pathogenesis but it's likely just an evolutionary adaptation to drive you to increase water reserves within the body in response to heavy activity that could otherwise cause dehydration. When you stop the activity and begin to recover your body will release those excess fluids, causing you to urinate excessively the night after the activity. The good news is that you're probably staying well hydrated but in extreme cases hyponatremia is actually a dangerous condition because your electrolytes can become imbalanced and cause organ shut down.

Phantom Grappler
10-03-2018, 13:34
Shug has an entire video on reducing calf ridge pressure. CRP happens! I went from an 11x5 to
a 12x6—a great leap in comfort—CRP greatly reduced almost eliminated.
Oversized hammocks lead to oversized tarps, leading to oversized packs. Now if my muscles would follow suit. It ain’t for everybody....

cmoulder
10-04-2018, 06:01
For myself, I've always been told to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate while hiking -- which I do. However, I've come to the conclusion that I drink way too much water if I'm forcing myself to hydrate. I've started just drinking when I get thirsty and I noticed that I get up to pee much less (if at all) during the night.

I also have a theory that frequent peeing is flushing out toxins but also valuable minerals, etc. because I noticed that when I stopped drinking so much water I also had less cramping. Supplementing my food with banana chips as a snack increases my Potassium levels which I believe were being depleted by the frequent peeing. My instances of cramping have dropped to almost zero.

This is working for me and I put it out there as anecdotal evidence.

+1 drink when thirsty. When I over hydrate it just goes right thru me anyway. Never had cramps, but your theory makes sense and works for you, and it's something that anyone with the issue should at least try.